UC Davis Protestors Pepper Sprayed by Police

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#51 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:53 AM

A California university placed two of its police officers on administrative leave Sunday because of their involvement in the pepper spraying of passively sitting protesters, while the school's chancellor accelerated a task force's investigation into the incident amid calls for her resignation.

The president of the 10-campus University of California system also weighed in on the growing fallout from Friday's incident at UC Davis, saying that he is "appalled" at images of students being doused with pepper spray and plans a far-reaching, urgent assessment of law enforcement procedures on all campuses.

#52 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

But Jack I never seen the officers attempt to leave before the spraying. I just see them standing there and occasionally talking to one of the sitters. Why not get in marching formation and try to exit before resorting to attack?

#53 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,198 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:26 AM

A Bobcat would have lifted three students safely out of the way and made a path.

Posted Image

#54 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:06 AM

A Bobcat would have lifted three students safely out of the way and made a path.

Posted Image

Fail.

not wide enough. need 5 bobcats to clear a path as wide as the police cleared with the pepper spray. For the police to safely exit a mob of squatters, you must clear a path at least 30 bodies wide.

#55 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

If cops want a job that doesn't put them in danger they should all go plant
flowers for a living. Violence first by law enforcement is not acceptable. Feeling like you're in harms way is not justification for inciting violence.

#56 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:40 AM

Posted Image

( j/k )

#57 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:42 AM

flowers for a living. Violence first by law enforcement is not acceptable. Feeling like you're in harms way is not justification for inciting violence.

nope. the sitting on the ground armlocked students are responsible for the violence. Joker will give you a rational reason why

#58 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:07 AM

Very concise and well said. I totally agree.

#59 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

But Jack I never seen the officers attempt to leave before the spraying. I just see them standing there and occasionally talking to one of the sitters. Why not get in marching formation and try to exit before resorting to attack?

I haven't seen any either, most of these videos seem to start when there's action against protesters. By all accounts they were attempting to peacefully walk out and the protesters chose to prevent them from doing so.

This whole thing could have been avoided if the protesters had just let them leave.

Is there anyone here that thinks the protesters were right to prevent the police from leaving?

What should the cops have done to get out?

It's my belief the protesters are the ones who incited the "violence" by circling the cops and not letting them leave.

Imagine walking down the street peacefully and a gang encircles you and starts yelling, swearing and taunting you while preventing you from going on your way.

What would you do?

#60 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

I've avoided watching this - fucking disgusting. I just don't even have words for how wrong this is. It amazes me that all of this is happening in our own backyard... Actions such as this can only be described as savage if you ask me.

#61 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

:funny1:

#62 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

That video disgusts me. The cops were in no danger at all. People sitting on the ground don't pose a threat to anyone. Appalling in my book.:bang:

#63 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

What should they have done in order to get out of there when the students were trying to prevent them from doing so?

#64 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,198 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

We second calls for Katehi’s resignation. She must go. But we don’t want to replace her with another Regental appointee or an interim chancellor. We don’t want to replace her.
The administration, as a managerial class for whom the ideal university is a massive corporation in imperialist partnership with other massive corporations and banks, will never accede to our demands for self-management, greater student and community participation in university governance, and better working conditions. The administration at UC Davis and every other UC campus has proven that, when faced with these demands, they will unleash violence in our learning spaces.
We demand the abolition of the administration and the transfer of all their functions to workers, students, and faculty.
As a necessary precondition to self-management and for our safety, we demand that UCPD be disbanded and that the University be declared a sanctuary space, free of interference from law enforcement personnel. Universities outside the United States already enjoy this freedom. We must demand it here.
Cops and administrators off campus!
http://bicyclebarric...ess.com/2011...

#65 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,198 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

Posted Image

#66 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

What should they have done in order to get out of there when the students were trying to prevent them from doing so?

Pick their feet up and step over the people sitting doing nothing?

#67 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

Posted Image

#68 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

Pick their feet up and step over the people sitting doing nothing?

They probably didn't do that as it would have taken them out of formation and opened themselves up to injury. Also they weren't doing nothing, they were purposely blocking the police from leaving

#69 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

Sorry Jack. You're totally stretching here.

Posted Image

#70 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

How am I stretching?

Care to take a shot at some answers?

I haven't seen any either, most of these videos seem to start when there's action against protesters. By all accounts they were attempting to peacefully walk out and the protesters chose to prevent them from doing so.

This whole thing could have been avoided if the protesters had just let them leave.

Is there anyone here that thinks the protesters were right to prevent the police from leaving?

It's my belief the protesters are the ones who incited the "violence" by circling the cops and not letting them leave.

Imagine walking down the street peacefully and a gang encircles you and starts yelling, swearing and taunting you while preventing you from going on your way.

What would you do?

#71 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

powerful stuff.

#72 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

How am I stretching?

Care to take a shot at some answers?

all of those have been answered in this thread. you just don't agree.

#73 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

They probably didn't do that as it would have taken them out of formation and opened themselves up to injury. Also they weren't doing nothing, they were purposely blocking the police from leaving

probably didn't do it because come megalomaniac wanted to pepper spray people sitting doing nothing. Why? Because they didn't do what megalomaniac said to do.

If you'll notice, the officer that sprayed them had to step over the "unpassable" group of people sitting doing nothing in order to get back into formation that they were afraid to break for fear of injury.

#74 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

or maybe it was breaking formation just to pepper spray them. In either case, what indication was there that they were going to injur the officers other than them not doing what the officer's told them to do?

#75 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

ahhh, all this has been gone over already.

token Joker response, "why didn't they just do what the police told them to, then none of this would of happened." :rolleyes:

#76 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,254 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

powerful stuff.

it is.

silence or singing. that's the way to go. not chants to "fuck the police."

i hope every movement stays peaceful. :heart:

#77 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

So to avoid getting out of formation, they peppersprayed themselves a path three times as wide as the formation.

The guys doing the spraying broke formation no?

They broke their formation when they started arresting people no?

#78 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

probably didn't do it because come megalomaniac wanted to pepper spray people sitting doing nothing. Why? Because they didn't do what megalomaniac said to do.

Nope, I'm sure that wasn't the reason.

You say they were doing nothing but that's just not true. They were purposely blocking the police from leaving.

The cop that sprayed the group to the side was definitely in the wrong

If you'll notice, the officer that sprayed them had to step over the "unpassable" group of people sitting doing nothing in order to get back into formation that they were afraid to break for fear of injury.

Who said it was "unpassable?"

Yes, the officer that sprayed them did step over, so what?

#79 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

So to avoid getting out of formation, they peppersprayed themselves a path three times as wide as the formation.

The guys doing the spraying broke formation no?

They broke their formation when they started arresting people no?

The first cop looked like he only sprayed those on the path.

Yes they broke formation it's not something they hold throughout the entire event, there are times when it's necessary. I don't believe having the entire unit climbing over a bunch of students hell bent on causing a confrontation is one of those times.

Do you think the protesters were right to prevent the police from leaving?

What would you do?

#80 syd_25

syd_25
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ct

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

Yes, the officer that sprayed them did step over, so what?

Doesn't sound like much of a block then. :wink:

#81 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

Doesn't sound like much of a block then. :wink:

And yet it was :wink:

#82 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

Joker

All I can say is that I'm glad you're not the chancellor of UC Davis or in any position really that drives policy on police procedures.

#83 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image

#84 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

Joker, I can't believe you let these people bully you into this argument, you're better than that.
The only people using those excuses are trying desperately to hang on to their jobs.

#85 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

powerful stuff.

We'll see if Winter Break can come fast enough to save her job.

#86 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

I have goosebumps from that video. Those students restore some of my faith in the next generation. :heart:

#87 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

Do you think the protesters were right to prevent the police from leaving?

The UC Davis chancellor, Linda P.B. Katehi, released a statement Friday. It states, "We deeply regret that many of the protestors today chose not to work with our campus staff and police to remove the encampment as requested. We are even more saddened by the events that subsequently transpired to facilitate their removal."

#88 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

Joker

All I can say is that I'm glad you're not the chancellor of UC Davis or in any position really that drives policy on police procedures.

unfortunately, whatever he's saying is right in tune with the people who get paid to do just that. imagine if joker actually got paid to spew the kind of crap he does. my guess is it'd be far worse.

#89 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

Joker, I can't believe you let these people bully you into this argument, you're better than that.
The only people using those excuses are trying desperately to hang on to their jobs.

I'm just having some fun looking at things from the other side.

And still waiting for someone to say the protesters were right in preventing the cops from leaving :lol:

Bunch of kids trying to look cool and start some shit got what they wanted :dunno:

#90 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

And still waiting for someone to say the protesters were right in preventing the cops from leaving :lol:

The cops were never prevented from leaving, you and the people attempting to save their jobs are creating this supposition.

They were however prevented from leaving with the students they wanted to arrest, when the students locked arms. The officer in charge after conferring with others and giving some sort of warning to the student, then decided the only way to break them apart was to pepper spray them.

#91 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

UC Davis: Official 'spin' crumbles in the face of "too many videos"
By Zack Whittaker | November 20, 2011, 4:25pm PST

Summary: UC Davis’ pepper-spray videos have gone viral around the web, proving citizen journalism can allow us to form our own views of raw footage collected in the thick of it.

1970: Kent State shootings: One iconic Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph taken by chance of a student killed by the unfathomable brutality of National Guard troops; some no older than the students they killed. One person, one camera.

1991: Rodney King arrest: An African-American man who was beaten relentlessly by police with batons, showing the cruel brutality of Los Angeles’ law enforcement and utter disregard of then societally-developing race relations. One person, one camera.

2011: UC Davis pepper-spray assault: Around fifty students at the California university sprayed at point-blank range by police, emphasising the disproportionate violence to what was a peaceful, orchestrated protest. One police officer, dozens of cameras.

In the run-up to last weekend, students at the University of California, Davis told the world through a deafening silence how to hold a peaceful, arguably beautiful protest. In so many cases, its underlying message can be drowned out by the rage of violence, disruption and civil disorder.

Students have long been portrayed in a particular way, as lay-about good-for-nothings, with little interest in anything beyond their own politics, causing disruption for anti-fur movements and sleeping in until late afternoon. Not to mention, these ‘leeches’ continue to put strain on the financial system they seem to complain about.

But the university students at UC Davis, disaffected by decisions made by the state, the university and those who they thought they could trust, taught the world one important, crucial lesson in post-modern principles of today’s reporting.

The truth will out.

On Friday afternoon, UC Davis students sat down along a pathway and linked arms, peacefully defiant in the face of law enforcement, in that they would not be intimidated and had a right to protest without causing disorder or committing violence.

The police were then called in to clear the student protesters, after the chancellor Linda Katehi claimed they were trespassing on university property. It was Katehi who ordered the UC David police to evict the protesters.

Then this happened.

Within hours of the — ‘incident’ seems to trivialise it — attack on the students, UC Davis police were forced to issue a press statement defending their actions.

“Students were given warnings to leave their tents [pitched on campus] by 3 p.m.”, it said. “The protest initially involved about 50 students”, Annette Spicuzza, UC Davis’ police chief said. “Some were wearing protective gear and some held batons”.

The final insult was when she said: “Officers were forced to use pepper spray when students surrounded them”, adding, “There was no way out of the circle”.

It makes one see there could have been at least two sides to the story. Perhaps the students were being unruly, or defiant, or armed and ready to commit violence. It was possible, and had been previously witnessed in England during the student protests.

But the statement was spin, and the spin doctor who wrote that statement was clearly unaware that citizens had recorded the event in full, and could in no way document the blas

#92 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,923 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Maybe it is time for protesters to dress in riot gear. Strapped on goggles that can not be "yanked" from their faces. Padding, shields...... :dunno:

#93 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

The cops were never prevented from leaving, you and the people attempting to save their jobs are creating this supposition.

They were however prevented from leaving with the students they wanted to arrest, when the students locked arms. The officer in charge after conferring with others and giving some sort of warning to the student, then decided the only way to break them apart was to pepper spray them.

oh man. i have joker on ignore. is he still trying to use the 'prevented them from leaving' spin?:bang:

they were prevented from leaving AFTER the pepper spray incident, and they're lucky that the people were PEACEFUL enough to do only that. and now the 2 guilty officers are on PAID leave. i'd like to see me be able to assault a bunch of kids and end up on paid leave. above the law.

#94 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

Are the students they wanted to arrest the ones that were sitting and sprayed (who had them surrounded at the start of the video)

If not it also sounds like they (the ones that were sprayed) could have been charged with something along the lines of attempting to free those that were arrested.

That would just give them a firmer leg to stand on as far as trying to clear the path

#95 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

1. The protest at which UC Davis police officers used pepper spray and batons against unresisting demonstrators was an entirely nonviolent one.

None of the arrests at UC Davis in the current wave of activism have been for violent offenses. Indeed, as the New York Times reported this morning, the university’s administration has “reported no instances of violence by any protesters.” Not one.

2. The unauthorized tent encampment was dismantled before the pepper spraying began.

Students had set up tents on campus on Thursday, and the administration had allowed them to stay up overnight. When campus police ordered students to take the tents down on Friday afternoon, however, most complied. The remainder of the tents were quickly removed by police without incident before the pepper spray incident.

3. Students did not restrict the movement of police at any time during the demonstration.

After police made a handful of arrests in the course of taking down the students’ tents, some of the remaining demonstrators formed a wide seated circle around the officers and arrestees.

UC Davis police chief Annette Spicuzza has claimed that officers were unable to leave that circle: “There was no way out,” she told the Sacramento Bee. “They were cutting the officers off from their support. It’s a very volatile situation.” But multiple videos clearly show that the seated students made no effort to impede the officers’ movement. Indeed, Lt. Pike, who initiated the pepper spraying of the group, was inside the circle moments earlier. To position himself to spray, he simply stepped over the line.

4. Lt. Pike was not in fear for his safety when he sprayed the students.

Chief Spicuzza told reporters on Thursday that her officers had been concerned for their safety when they began spraying. But again, multiple videos show this claim to be groundless.

The most widely distributed video of the incident (viewed, as I write this, by nearly 700,000 people on YouTube) begins just moments before Lt. Pike begain spraying, but another video, which starts a few minutes earlier, shows Pike chatting amiably with one activist, even patting him casually on the back.

The pat on the back occurs just two minutes and nineteen seconds before Pike pepper sprayed the student he had just been chatting with and all of his friends.

5. University of California Police are not authorized to use pepper spray except in circumstances in which it is necessary to prevent physical injury to themselves or others.

From the University of California’s Universitywide Police Policies and Administrative Procedures: “Chemical agents are weapons used to minimize the potential for injury to officers, offenders, or other persons. They should only be used in situations where such force reasonably appears justified and necessary.”

6. UC police are not authorized to use physical force except to control violent offenders or keep suspects from escaping.

Another quote from the UC’s policing policy: “Arrestees and suspects shall be treated in a humane manner … they shall not be subject to physical force except as required to subdue violence or ensure detention. No officer shall strike an arrestee or suspect except in self-defense, to prevent an escape, or to prevent injury to another person.”

7. The UC Davis Police made no effort to remove the student demonstrators from the walkway peacefully before using pepper spray against them.

One video of the pepper-spray incident shows a group of officers moving in to remove the students from the walkway. Just as one of them reaches down to pick up a female student who was leaning against a friend, however, Lt. Pike waves the group back, clearing a space for him to use pepper spray without risk of accidentally spraying his colleagues.

8. Use of pepper spray and other physical force continued after the students’ minimal obstruction of the area around the police ended.

The line of seated students had begun to break up no more than eight seconds after Lt. Pike began spraying. The spraying continued, however, and officers soon began using batons and other physical force against the now-incapacitated group.

9. Even after police began using unprovoked and unlawful violence against the students, they remained peaceful.

Multiple videos show the aftermath of the initial pepper spraying and the physical violence that followed. In none of them do any of the assaulted students or any of the onlookers strike any of the officers who are attacking them and their friends.

10. The students’ commitment to nonviolence extended to their use of language.

At one point on Thursday afternoon, before the police attack on the demonstration, a few activists started a chant of “From Davis to Greece, fuck the police.” They were quickly hushed by fellow demonstrators who urged them to “keep it nonviolent! Keep it peaceful!”

Their chant was replaced by one of “you use weapons, we use our voice.”

Six and a half minutes later, the entire group was pepper sprayed.

#96 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

oops... i forgot to cite it. look it up. ha:lol:

#97 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

The kids sprayed were not threatening in any way or preventing the officers from doing anything. They sat there silently, exercising PEACEFUL civil disobedience. Arrest them if that's illegal. The use of force was completely unjustifiable.

By your logic, Jack, why didn't the officers just start shooting? If some invisible perceived threat was there wouldn't that be just the same? Answering nonviolence with violence. Disproportionate use of force. I thought there were rules against that.

#98 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Sounds like they were going against their own policies. How do you justify that?

I sincerely hope Lt. Pike's career in law enforcement ends from this. He has no business in any position of power. He clearly cannot be trusted to make good decisions.

#99 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

How can you say they weren't preventing the officers from doing anything when they were clearly sitting in their way attempting to prevent them from leaving with the arrestees?

Do you have your volume turned down? They weren't even close to sitting there silently

#100 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

How can you say they weren't preventing the officers from doing anything when they were clearly sitting in their way attempting to prevent them from leaving with the arrestees?

One video of the pepper-spray incident shows a group of officers moving in to remove the students from the walkway. Just as one of them reaches down to pick up a female student who was leaning against a friend, however, Lt. Pike waves the group back, clearing a space for him to use pepper spray without risk of accidentally spraying his colleagues.