• VibeTribe
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

#2 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

In comes Joker to defend the action. "All they had to do was move and they wouldn't have gotten sprayed."

#3 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

http://bicyclebarric...nda-p-b-katehi/

Open Letter to Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi
Posted on November 19, 2011 by crank

18 November 2011

Open Letter to Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi

Linda P.B. Katehi,

I am a junior faculty member at UC Davis. I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of English, and I teach in the Program in Critical Theory and in Science & Technology Studies. I have a strong record of research, teaching, and service. I am currently a Board Member of the Davis Faculty Association. I have also taken an active role in supporting the student movement to defend public education on our campus and throughout the UC system. In a word: I am the sort of young faculty member, like many of my colleagues, this campus needs. I am an asset to the University of California at Davis.

You are not.

I write to you and to my colleagues for three reasons:

1) to express my outrage at the police brutality which occurred against students engaged in peaceful protest on the UC Davis campus today

2) to hold you accountable for this police brutality

3) to demand your immediate resignation

Today you ordered police onto our campus to clear student protesters from the quad. These were protesters who participated in a rally speaking out against tuition increases and police brutality on UC campuses on Tuesday—a rally that I organized, and which was endorsed by the Davis Faculty Association. These students attended that rally in response to a call for solidarity from students and faculty who were bludgeoned with batons, hospitalized, and arrested at UC Berkeley last week. In the highest tradition of non-violent civil disobedience, those protesters had linked arms and held their ground in defense of tents they set up beside Sproul Hall. In a gesture of solidarity with those students and faculty, and in solidarity with the national Occupy movement, students at UC Davis set up tents on the main quad. When you ordered police outfitted with riot helmets, brandishing batons and teargas guns to remove their tents today, those students sat down on the ground in a circle and linked arms to protect them.

What happened next?

Without any provocation whatsoever, other than the bodies of these students sitting where they were on the ground, with their arms linked, police pepper-sprayed students. Students remained on the ground, now writhing in pain, with their arms linked.

What happened next?

Police used batons to try to push the students apart. Those they could separate, they arrested, kneeling on their bodies and pushing their heads into the ground. Those they could not separate, they pepper-sprayed directly in the face, holding these students as they did so. When students covered their eyes with their clothing, police forced open their mouths and pepper-sprayed down their throats. Several of these students were hospitalized. Others are seriously injured. One of them, forty-five minutes after being pepper-sprayed down his throat, was still coughing up blood.

This is what happened. You are responsible for it.

You are responsible for it because this is what happens when UC Chancellors order police onto our campuses to disperse peaceful protesters through the use of force: students get hurt. Faculty get hurt. One of the most inspiring things (inspiring for those of us who care about students who assert their rights to free speech and peaceful assembly) about the demonstration in Berkeley on November 9 is that UC Berkeley faculty stood together with students, their arms linked together. Associate Professor of English Celeste Langan was grabbed by her hair, thrown on the ground, and arrested. Associate Professor Geoffrey O’Brien was injured by baton blows. Professor Robert Hass, former Poet Laureate of the United States, National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize winner, was also struck with a baton. These faculty stood together with students in solidarity, and they too were beaten and arrested by the police. In writing this letter, I stand together with those faculty and with the students they supported.

One week after this happened at UC Berkeley, you ordered police to clear tents from the quad at UC Davis. When students responded in the same way—linking arms and holding their ground—police also responded in the same way: with violent force. The fact is: the administration of UC campuses systematically uses police brutality to terrorize students and faculty, to crush political dissent on our campuses, and to suppress free speech and peaceful assembly. Many people know this. Many more people are learning it very quickly.

You are responsible for the police violence directed against students on the UC Davis quad on November 18, 2011. As I said, I am writing to hold you responsible and to demand your immediate resignation on these grounds.

On Wednesday November 16, you issued a letter by email to the campus community. In this letter, you discussed a hate crime which occurred at UC Davis on Sunday November 13. In this letter, you express concern about the safety of our students. You write, “it is particularly disturbing that such an act of intolerance should occur at a time when the campus community is working to create a safe and inviting space for all our students.” You write, “while these are turbulent economic times, as a campus community, we must all be committed to a safe, welcoming environment that advances our efforts to diversity and excellence at UC Davis.”

I will leave it to my colleagues and every reader of this letter to decide what poses a greater threat to “a safe and inviting space for all our students” or “a safe, welcoming environment” at UC Davis: 1) Setting up tents on the quad in solidarity with faculty and students brutalized by police at UC Berkeley? or 2) Sending in riot police to disperse students with batons, pepper-spray, and tear-gas guns, while those students sit peacefully on the ground with their arms linked? Is this what you have in mind when you refer to creating “a safe and inviting space?” Is this what you have in mind when you express commitment to “a safe, welcoming environment?”

I am writing to tell you in no uncertain terms that there must be space for protest on our campus. There must be space for political dissent on our campus. There must be space for civil disobedience on our campus. There must be space for students to assert their right to decide on the form of their protest, their dissent, and their civil disobedience—including the simple act of setting up tents in solidarity with other students who have done so. There must be space for protest and dissent, especially, when the object of protest and dissent is police brutality itself. You may not order police to forcefully disperse student protesters peacefully protesting police brutality. You may not do so. It is not an option available to you as the Chancellor of a UC campus. That is why I am calling for your immediate resignation.

Your words express concern for the safety of our students. Your actions express no concern whatsoever for the safety of our students. I deduce from this discrepancy that you are not, in fact, concerned about the safety of our students. Your actions directly threaten the safety of our students. And I want you to know that this is clear. It is clear to anyone who reads your campus emails concerning our “Principles of Community” and who also takes the time to inform themselves about your actions. You should bear in mind that when you send emails to the UC Davis community, you address a body of faculty and students who are well trained to see through rhetoric that evinces care for students while implicitly threatening them. I see through your rhetoric very clearly. You also write to a campus community that knows how to speak truth to power. That is what I am doing.

I call for your resignation because you are unfit to do your job. You are unfit to ensure the safety of students at UC Davis. In fact: you are the primary threat to the safety of students at UC Davis. As such, I call upon you to resign immediately.

Sincerely,

Nathan Brown
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Program in Critical Theory
University of California at Davis

#4 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

A news account captured the officer on camera spraying the students. The account names the officer as UC Davis Police Lt. John Pike. He did not return a voice mail message nor an email left Friday night. His voice-mail box eventually filled up to capacity as his name and phone number were posted on Twitter.

The UC Davis Police Department did not return calls from The Huffington Post seeking comment.

The UC Davis chancellor, Linda P.B. Katehi, released a statement Friday. It states, "We deeply regret that many of the protestors today chose not to work with our campus staff and police to remove the encampment as requested. We are even more saddened by the events that subsequently transpired to facilitate their removal."

Nathan Brown, an assistant English professor at the university, released an open letter to the chancellor, calling for her resignation. He wrote, "You are responsible for it because this is what happens when UC Chancellors order police onto our campuses to disperse peaceful protesters through the use of force: students get hurt."

The student filmmaker, who says he is not part of Occupy Davis, told HuffPost, "I couldn't believe it. I didn't think such a thing would ever happen on campus over a tent being on campus. It's embarrassing on the part of the police to take such actions."

Another video shows officers body-slamming a student in what appears to be a confrontation earlier in the day. Ten students were arrested Friday on campus.

After the pepper spraying, the crowd of students began marching down the quad. The UC Davis cops? They're pushed back down the walkway and finally leave. The students start an old cheer that rang true again, "Whose quad? Our quad!"

UC Davis Police Chief Annette Spicuzza defended her officers' actions to KCRA. She argued that it just wasn't safe for students to camp on the quad. "It's not safe for multiple reasons," Spicuzza said.

In a report by the CBS Sacramento station Friday night, Spicuzza said the officers' own safety was also a concern. "If you look at the video, you are going to see that there were 200 people in that quad," she said. "Hindsight is 20-20, and based on the situation we were sitting in, ultimately that was the decision that was made." Spicuzza also said authorities were reviewing the videos.

#5 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

http://www.news10.ne...opnews|bc|large

UC Davis Police Chief Annette Spicuzza said the officers were forced to spray the protestors because after arresting the campers, supporting occupy members created a human chain to around officers not letting them leave.

"Officers would have been putting themselves in harms way if they tried to step over the protestors," Spicuzza said. "They needed to leave and right now, it seems, they didn't have a safer way."

Nine students and one non-student were arrested, said university spokesman Andy Fell.

#6 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

#7 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

In comes Joker to defend the action. "All they had to do was move and they wouldn't have gotten sprayed."

:lol:

Rather than jumping right in and yapping shit, I went to look for more of the story :wink:

#8 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

Rather than jumping right in and yapping shit, I went to look for the reason why protesters deserved it

there, fixed that for ya

#9 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

Rather than jumping right in and yapping shit, I went to look for more of the story :wink:

and? do ya get it yet? do ya get whats happening?

milgram'd

#10 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

he's probably on the phone with his conservative friend right now trying to come up with a justification

#11 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Well it looks like the protesters thought they could sit there and interfere with the cops without any consequence. :dunno:

#12 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

what were they interfering with?

It looked to me like they were peacefully protesting. Their arms were locked and they were sitting down. How much more peaceful would you like?

#13 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

Joker, I have officially lost all respect for you after defending this. Don't bother replying to me. You're on ignore.

#14 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,542 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

I never thought I would say this, but afte the pepper spray was used, a violent attack on the cops would have been an appropriate response. Too bad liberal arts majors are pussies and would rather chant than fight.

#15 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

there is a great amount of power to peaceful protest. and so far, the occupation of hundreds cities are succeeding due to the peace ~

however - on a personal note....
1. if i was an officer watching my 'brother' do that to others i'd have stopped that shit, order or not, consequence or not....
2. if i was an observer watching my 'brother/sister' get that i'd have stopped that shit, arrest and assault or not

to even begin to validate why this abuse happens is disgusting... this goes above and beyond abuse.. this is inhumane... torture. to walk the line spraying and return to the front and find weak "spots" (peoples faces!) to keep spraying... you are no longer serving or protecting me... you are a fucking pig. and i know personally many cops - in my family, and as friends, that would also believe the sprayer, and his 'accomplices' are dirty, unprofessional, cruel, scared pigs

end of rant. i am in awe of the courage, and patience, and self-control of those who were there. above and beyond they deserve any thanks, gratitude, and respect they are given. i could not have done the same.

#16 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

to even begin to validate why this abuse happens is disgusting... this goes above and beyond abuse.. this is inhumane... torture. to walk the line spraying and return to the front and find weak "spots" (peoples faces!) to keep spraying... you are no longer serving or protecting me... you are a fucking pig.

absolutely indefensible

cop should be charged with assault and he should lose his badge for life

#17 Jack Straw

Jack Straw
  • VibeTribe
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

absolutely indefensible

cop should be charged with assault and he should lose his badge for life

Agreed. The way this cop discharged the entire can of spray is in violation of most Police Dept policies. I don't know what this clown's department's policies are, but if that constitutes acceptable use they need to rethink things before they kill someone or start a real riot.

#18 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

my god. that is disgusting. this is what you post in defense of police? there is no defense.

look at those images, just go back and look. there are unarmed kids with locked arms.

despicable.

you've lost me here, Jack. really lost me.

#19 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:27 PM

I haven't defended these guys at all. I can't think of any reason he'd go right up to them like he did looking for weak spots.

#20 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:28 PM

Pepper spray should be used to subdue a suspect who can't be restrained using normal measures. This does not qualify.

Joker, what are you smoking?

#21 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

Pepper spray should be used to subdue a suspect who can't be restrained using normal measures. This does not qualify.

Joker, what are you smoking?

Timing is everything, see above :wink:

Although if they DID encircle the cops and wouldn't clear a path for them to get out that's another story

#22 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

http://gawker.com/5861100/

The man who pepper-sprayed the protesters in the video above is Lt. John Pike, of the UC Davis Police Department. If you'd like to let him know what you think of his actions, you can email him at japikeiii@ucdavis.edu; for what it's worth, his boss, UCD Police Chief Annette Spicuzza, told the Davis Enterprise that she's "very proud" of her officers. "I don't believe any of our officers were hurt," she says, "and I hope none of the students were injured."

Spicuzza's pride comes a little more than a week after UC Berkeley officers were filmed beating students with their nightsticks, an event that led UCD mechanical engineering major Dominic Gutierrez to protest—and get a face full of pepper spray. He remained remarkably optimistic:

"When they see us on the quad, a student might think that maybe there are weird people camping on the Quad," Gutierrez said. "Once they see this, all they see is cops hitting students. They might have thought, ‘Those are people different than me, I would never (protest).'

"Now they see this is awful, and they'll come out for the same reason I came out."

#23 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

Timing is everything, see above :wink:

These are my California brethren being roughed up so I take a stand. When it was a bunch of obnoxious New Yorkers, I sided with the cops. :lol:

#24 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,542 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

:jimy: PROTIP: Chanting "fuck the police, from Davis to Greece" is not a good way to begin a non-violent conflict resolution with law enforcement.

#25 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

These are my California brethren being roughed up so I take a stand. When it was a bunch of obnoxious New Yorkers, I sided with the cops. :lol:

Yeah you're probably considered "the muscle" out there :hit:

#26 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:39 AM

Agreed. The way this cop discharged the entire can of spray is in violation of most Police Dept policies. I don't know what this clown's department's policies are, but if that constitutes acceptable use they need to rethink things before they kill someone or start a real riot.

Campus Police + Students = Lawsuit

#27 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:53 AM

here's info on the perp:

Lieutenant John Pike -- Records Unit Manager
Phone: 530-752-3989
Cell: 530-979-0184
E-mail: japikeiii@ucdavis.edu
Address: 4005 Cowell Blvd, Apt 616. Davis, CA 95618-6017

let him know what you think

#28 Goose

Goose
  • VibeTribe
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

I have a 17 yo daughter who is going off to college next fall. Teenagers will talk back and can be stubborn. If I pepper sprayed her I would fully expect to be punished by DHS, the courts, and have it show up on a background check if I applied for a job working with kids.

#29 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,619 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

As I maintained in the Berkeley incident, I believe the proper procedure for the cops to pursue in these cases is arresting the protesters one by one. Anything heavier than that bothers me.

That said, pepper spray is on a better place on the use of force continuum that hitting/stabbing unarmed kids with batons. In my opinion.

I feel bad for the kids who got sprayed, and I'm also a little mystified why the "powers" would condone these actions...a few more of the incidents and it seems to me that a lot of people who are on the fence or apathetic will be more inclined to get in the game.

Sunday morning not yet caffeinated stream of consciousness...

#30 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

Yup, the pepper spray is going to be less forceful than anything other then asking them to move and there's most likely little to no chance of injury.

Also these kids appear to have been warned before it was used so any of them with a breathing problem would have had the time and opportunity to move away.

Folks have to realize these protesters are there to draw attention to their cause and by allowing themselves to be sprayed they're getting the desired affect with minimal chance of injury. The cops are not just going to walk away (in this case I guess they were surrounded anyway and couldn't do so) and let them do whatever they want no matter how much you wish they would.

:dunno:

#31 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

You are correct. If they are looking to draw attention to improper and what should be illegal behavior from men in uniform, then mission accomplished.

#32 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

What would you suggest they do when they were surrounded by a hostile crowd that wouldn't move so they could leave?

#33 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Did not see any hostility Jack. Heard " be peaceful" Did not see one student threaten police or raise a hand to them. Sure some of them for obstructing justice. So you read them their rights and cuff them. No need for violence.

#34 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

That would depend on the definition of hostility. The chants, including the "fuck the police" and there was something along the lines of "don't shoot students" could be seen as creating a hostile environment. That along with them surrounding the police and not allowing them to pass certainly created a hostile environment.

The students had their arms locked and had no intention of moving peacefully, going in and trying to rip them away from each other would result in more of a chance of injury to both the protesters and the police than hitting them with some pepper spray did.

From my understanding the cops had already taken down the tents at this point and were trying to leave. If that is the case then this was done solely to create the confrontation with police.

#35 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

The popo are pushing the peaceful protests violent. I think if it continues, its only a matter of time before a group of protesters fights back. I hope not, as I believe that's what they want. It would justify all the actions of the police to date.

#36 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

The popo are pushing the peaceful protests violent. I think if it continues, its only a matter of time before a group of protesters fights back. I hope not, as I believe that's what they want. It would justify all the actions of the police to date.

In this case it looks like it was the protesters pushing the police. Looks like the cops were trying to leave and the protesters refused to let them.

How would it justify all their actions?

#37 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

Guess first.

#38 Jack Straw

Jack Straw
  • VibeTribe
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

In this case it looks like it was the protesters pushing the police. Looks like the cops were trying to leave and the protesters refused to let them.

How would it justify all their actions?

Jack, where are you seeing this? So far I've seen this event from 3 different angles, with one of the vids starting at least several minutes before the spraying incident, and the visuals simply don't jibe with the police statements about being surrounded. The protesters did not react violently when sprayed, they flinched at the worst. The police had an obvious out that they could have taken at any time up until they sprayed the protesters. It wasn't until after the spraying that the onlookers (not the protesters sprayed) became angry and surrounded the cops.

I've been staying out of detailed discussions of the entire OWS thing until now because I've been less than enamored with some of the tactics displayed by some of the protesters, but it seems to me that this time the cops really screwed the pooch and they are grasping at straws defending their actions.

#39 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

http://latimesblogs....d-on-leave.html
]UC Davis officers placed on leave after pepper spray incident

Two UC Davis campus police officers have been placed on paid administrative leave over their controversial use of pepper spray on student protesters, university officials announced Sunday.

A video that showed an officer dousing a group of students who were huddled on the ground Friday quickly went viral on the Internet, drawing outrage and calls for the chancellor's resignation.

“I spoke with students this weekend, and I feel their outrage,” UC Davis Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi said in a statement. “I am deeply saddened that this happened on our campus, and as chancellor, I take full responsibility for the incident. However, I pledge to take the actions needed to ensure that this does not happen again."

UC Davis spokeswoman Claudia Morain said the two officers placed on leave were the only two officers they were able to identify as having deployed pepper spray after reviewing multiple videos of the events.

The officers, whose names were not released, will remain on paid leave indefinitely.

Katehi initially did not criticize police, but on Saturday said she would convene a task force to look into the incident. On Sunday, she said the faculty, students and staff who will serve on the task force will be chosen immediately and that they will have a 30-day deadline to complete their report.

Police said officers were trying to get out of the protest area when they used the pepper spray.

UC Davis Police Chief Annette Spicuzza told reporters Saturday that the decision to use the pepper spray was made at the scene. "The students had encircled the officers," she said. "They needed to exit. They were looking to leave but were unable to get out."

But the school said in a statement, "Videos taken during Friday’s arrests showed that the two officers used pepper spray on peacefully seated students."

#40 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

Jack, where are you seeing this? So far I've seen this event from 3 different angles, with one of the vids starting at least several minutes before the spraying incident, and the visuals simply don't jibe with the police statements about being surrounded. The protesters did not react violently when sprayed, they flinched at the worst. The police had an obvious out that they could have taken at any time up until they sprayed the protesters. It wasn't until after the spraying that the onlookers (not the protesters sprayed) became angry and surrounded the cops.

I've been staying out of detailed discussions of the entire OWS thing until now because I've been less than enamored with some of the tactics displayed by some of the protesters, but it seems to me that this time the cops really screwed the pooch and they are grasping at straws defending their actions.

In the video I posted it appears they are completely surrounded. You can't really see the right side in the first video, this video shows the other side is blocked too.

In the first video you can even make out a cop in the back facing the crowd in the opposite direction.

Where do you see an out for them?

It looks to me like once they do spray and get that group out of their way they continue on out of the area.

#41 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

The cop had to step over them in order to face them with the pepper spray.

Why didn't they just step over the protesters and then leave?

#42 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

The cop had to step over them in order to face them with the pepper spray.

Why didn't they just step over the protesters and then leave?

exactly

#43 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

Perhaps they chose not to expose themselves to possible harm? Perhaps those fat pigs couldn't lift themselves over? Who knows?

Why didn't they just move and let the cops leave? :dunno:

#44 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,542 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:39 PM

Quad cred. You're not a real campus radical until you get bruised or sprayed.

#45 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:54 PM

Perhaps they chose not to expose themselves to possible harm? Perhaps those fat pigs couldn't lift themselves over? Who knows?

why did they have to spray a line of protesters that appeared to be over 30 feet across?

couldn't they have just sprayed a few clearing enough space to pass through?

why did the officer go back a second time to make sure he got everyone?

#46 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

why did they have to spray a line of protesters that appeared to be over 30 feet across?

couldn't they have just sprayed a few clearing enough space to pass through?

why did the officer go back a second time to make sure he got everyone?

:dunno:

#47 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:20 AM

exactly

even if you want to take up the unpopular position that the use of the pepper spray was warranted to accomplish their goal - clearing a path to leave the quad, they went WAY OVERBOARD. They didn't have to spray the entire line.

Another question. In the video you posted there are numerous students who weren't part of the seated protesting line that are up in the faces of the cops yelling at them, asking if they have kids etc,. Aren't those people more of a threat to the officers safety than the kids sitting on the ground? If you argue that the officers were doing what they had to do to protect their own safety, then why weren't they pepper spraying these individuals as well?

#48 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:39 AM

exactly

even if you want to take up the unpopular position that the use of the pepper spray was warranted to accomplish their goal - clearing a path to leave the quad, they went WAY OVERBOARD. They didn't have to spray the entire line.

Another question. In the video you posted there are numerous students who weren't part of the seated protesting line that are up in the faces of the cops yelling at them, asking if they have kids etc,. Aren't those people more of a threat to the officers safety than the kids sitting on the ground? If you argue that the officers were doing what they had to do to protect their own safety, then why weren't they pepper spraying these individuals as well?

Looks like they just sprayed the line between them and the exit and then when the line broke started moving them all out of the way. They gave the kids the opportunity to move out of the way or be sprayed they chose to stay and be sprayed, that's not over the line at all.

Face it, the kids fucked up this time by not letting them leave. Blocking the cops from leaving is what was WAY OVERBOARD.

I'm arguing they sprayed them to get them out of the way so they had a way to leave, I have no idea if they felt their safety was threatened.

#49 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:47 AM

And they needed to move the entire line to be able to leave? If the line of kids seated was 100 people across, should they have blasted every single last one of them who was sitting down? Gone back for seconds to make sure they got the kids good?

They didn't have to spray the kids at all. They certainly didn't have to spray as many of them as they did. You defending their actions is pretty fucked up Joker.

#50 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:46 AM

Posted Image