#1 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

...and the Big Red Jug.

During the webchat after P-funk last night Ken expressed confusion over the chat reference to Camp Velcro. And it came to my attention that there are even some people who are members of Camp Velcro who dont even know where the name came from. :rolleyes:

So here is the history of Camp Velcro.

It started in VIP camping at ILCC Vibes 05. We all ended up camping next to each other due to a couple future Velcroans who were volunteering and got assigned safety vests and the job of parking folks in VIP camping. There is a pic out there somewhere, but i dont know where...

anyway...

Proximity is what bore the name. It was Sean (b.real), Katy (katydid), Dave (feck), Tom (elder), Tony (jambear), steve (ctmulefan), jen (jbetty), me, mel (sunshine drummer), chris (jack straw), jack (joker), deb (notaboardie), adam (insolent cur), melissa (as in phish) pearce (jcs), megan (bonsai), renee (teo), auggie (as in west) in the original cluster. There were others in the cluster who never returned to the fold or who didnt come back year after year...which is really where the name came from.

Note - I am SURE i forgot folks...sorry...:undecided:

We all raged together all weekend. Ate communal meals and all congrated around the Big Red Jug of Hurricanes. :heart: :tongue:

Anyway, so here comes 06 and I am ready to do it again! With NO prior communications or planning, to a person we ALL ended up camping together again!:funny1::clapping:
At some point that weekend i made a drunken comment about the phenomenon saying "man, we're like velcro, we just cant shake each other!" :funny1:

So here comes 07 and i figure we are SOL with the new digs, etc but sure enough, we ALL end up camped together again. :Phishfolk: So now we just all *know* we will arrive at the same general time so we know the drill...we have our 'living room' area and 'kitchen' all ready to go so we can host all the people drawn to the Jug of Love, the smell of cooking bacon or just all the love and sketch:funny1: oozing from our site.

So no, there are no signs or flags but we are easy to find. And its not a job, its a state of mind. So bring a handle of rum for the jug and stay for a snack. We all run off to music for different stuff so there is always someone there...just one of the great reasons having "peeps" all around you is recommended.

One of our group has even made us an official bracelet. Not sure how many folks have one yet, but i know a small group of us do...

So i encourage you all to create your own Camp Velcro. for the security, friendship and incurring bad influences:devil: we all are on each other this one weekend a year when we all party like we are 21 years old. :joker:

:v:

People with Reg Jug pics or just velcroans in pics, please feel free to post! :rose:

#2 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

I took 2 wrist bands and made a necklace out of it.

PLEASE find the photo of Jerry drowning himself in the Mongo Jug of Hurricanes!

#3 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:37 PM

i KNOW a boardie took it, i just cant remember who it was :huh:

i also want someone to post that pic of tony doctoring the jug with katy in the background wearing a red shift that made her boobs look terrific! :devil:(not that they dont always...:heart: )

dave, this year i want to make you a shirt that says "prime minister of bacon" :funny1: :heart:

jen, i cant wait for our sunday morning crossword puzzle thinktank :dance:
i do one every day and it always makes me think of you and steve :heart:

#4 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

I :heart: Camp Velcro
And I am heartbroken that I cant visit this year :cry:

#5 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

I :heart: Camp Velcro
And I am heartbroken that I cant visit this year :cry:

excuse me?!?!? :tapfoot:
this is completely unacceptable! :undecided:
i love when you and tatum and andrew show up all fucked up and come stumbling and giggling into the site at 3 am! :devil::funny1: :heart:

*sigh*

if you give us permission we will drunken dial you and you can vicariously do a shot with us :v:

#6 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

in cur ring bad influences:devil:

#7 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

in cur ring bad influences:devil:

freudian slip? :devil::funny1:

dave, pm me your address so i can pitch in on the bacon fund
we have always had a good amount of bacon but this year i am shooting for "copious" :Phishfolk:

wait, did you ever try that bacon explosion thingy? :devil:

#8 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

the test run of he bacon explosion went well, but i will need to adjust my methods a little. I'll either make one the day before or just prep one and bring the smoker to the vibes.

i'm good on the bacon funds, usually hit up a 2 for one sale or buy the pack o 3 lbs from western beef ($8.00 of 3 lbs)

#9 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

I had to take a nap after my brief visit to Velcro Land last year :tongue: thanks to :jambear:'s hurricanes and I didn't even get to meet him! :lol:

#10 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

THIS is why you are in charge of all things porcine :heart:

ordered several cases of newcastle cans already and stocking up on tequila...we all will keep you drunk, etc:pimp: if you keep us in bacon:devil:

#11 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

I had to take a nap after my brief visit to Velcro Land last year :tongue: thanks to :jambear:'s hurricanes and I didn't even get to meet him! :lol:

:lol:
ahhh, such a common after-effect of immersing oneself in velcronian lands:devil:
(((( :jambear: ))))

be warned, by late night saturday and on sunday, the jug is known to have reached epic proportions of rum and those planning to drive home after the show should be careful:wink:
but we always need help emptying it out (well, usually) so come by with your nalgene!:clapping:

#12 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,548 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

lol i love this thread ;)

#13 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

i KNOW a boardie took it, i just cant remember who it was :huh:

i also want someone to post that pic of tony doctoring the jug with katy in the background wearing a red shift that made her boobs look terrific! :devil:(not that they dont always...:heart: )

dave, this year i want to make you a shirt that says "prime minister of bacon" :funny1: :heart:

jen, i cant wait for our sunday morning crossword puzzle thinktank :dance:
i do one every day and it always makes me think of you and steve :heart:

You think of us every day? That's SO frickin sweet I can hardly stand it!:heart:

My mom & dad save me the Sunday NYT Xword puzzle every week.
I'll have to refrain for a couple weeks before Vibes and bring them along.:clapping:
Although I did enjoy my Xword search in beautiful Bridgeport with what's-his-name last year, arriving back at Camp Velcro moments before the monsoon struck in full force. Didn't find the Times :crying: but we did find a fairly acceptable substitute. The Bridgeport Blowjob, or something like that. Got our fix and all was well. :yippee:

#14 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

I took 2 wrist bands and made a necklace out of it.

PLEASE find the photo of Jerry drowning himself in the Mongo Jug of Hurricanes!

Here ya go!

Posted Image

Posted Image

And we finally made a sign last year (pretty sure Dee was the artist). I think it might be in our box o' crap in the basement.

Posted Image

I need to find my wristband. I think I left it attached to my backpack.

#15 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

I'm thinking it was Mel who took the aforementioned photo.

#16 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

:clapping:YAY! You sent this just as I was posting. Rock on with your bad self!

#17 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:03 PM

Wait.... JBetty, is that you Jen??

#18 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

:funny1:

#19 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:05 PM

YAY!!! :clapping: Glad you're not lurking anymore. Of course, the avatar should have tipped me off.... :lol:

#20 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

YAY!!! :clapping: Glad you're not lurking anymore. Of course, the avatar should have tipped me off.... :lol:

Duh, Betty! :lol:
Will you please PM me the photos as attachments? Or would it be better to send them directly to my email address?
And I was only lurking for a couple of weeks, despite the fact that I was accused of being a lurker at Vibes 2007 by some whackadoodle bacon grease chugger. :dunno:

#21 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

Here ya go!

Posted Image

Posted Image

And we finally made a sign last year (pretty sure Dee was the artist). I think it might be in our box o' crap in the basement.

Posted Image

I need to find my wristband. I think I left it attached to my backpack.

nicely played mel! :clapping:
edited to add: the sign says "DONT STEAL FROM US, JUST ASK AND WE'LL SHARE" :v:

i love the one where you can see how low the jug is:funny1:
i am guessing its a sunday "what else can we pose jerry with before we leave" shot :lol:
have yet to pose with jerry and have it come out even decent :undecided: but i photograph notoriously badly so its no wonder:rolleyes::lol:

no worries on saving your times, jen...if you would be so kind as to help me remember, i work every sunday so i can easily snag us a few weeks prior copies, for sure (for free)!

i keep forgetting that i get to hang with you (hopefully) soon! like, "this time next week" soon! :dance: )
albany is gonna be a challenge, as there are soooo many people i *have* to see:undecided: :heart: but i am up for the challenge, dammit :rose:

now i just need to get thru 6 workdays in a row:joker:

#22 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

Jen--PM me your email address & I'll send them along.

Dee--the Jerry jug shots were from Sunday. We were in full "empty the jug" mode & being very silly with Jerry. :lol:

#23 katydid

katydid
  • VibeTribe
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

(((Dee)))

I loved the summary of such a great group.

Camp Velcro is home. It's cozy. There are always great friends at the camp no matter what time of day or night.

I heart it very much.

#24 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

I found my purple wristband the other day, and was thinking, what the heck is this? ....must have been some wasted days and wasted nights....

Thank you for the memory jogger!

#25 Elphaba

Elphaba
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

some things make a lot more sense now. i just thought the lot of you were really out there and other stuff. :lol:

maybe i will visit camp velcro, but no thanks on the red stuff.

#26 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:45 PM

I found my purple wristband the other day, and was thinking, what the heck is this? ....must have been some wasted days and wasted nights....

Thank you for the memory jogger!

You may have received yours while you were snacking on the guacamole :eek:

#27 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

Mel,
If you don't have the camp sign then I do. I recall seeing it lying with discarded items while breaking down and either passed it off to someone (you?) for safe keeping or held onto it myself. Either way, it shall return this year!

#28 TigerRose

TigerRose
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:58 PM

I was wondering about this legend myself! Thanks, Dee!

#29 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:59 PM

You may have received yours while you were snacking on the guacamole :eek:

in hindsight, now that you are safe, this is wicked funny:funny1: :heart:

teo - "yeah, i loved the guacamole, i had never had it before. turns out i am deathly allergic to it..." :undecided:
"but it sure was yummy!"
you only get salsa and chips this year, my friend :heart:

#30 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:02 PM

this pic will NEVER get old for me :lol:
Posted Image
SOMEONE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE SAVE JERRY! :eek:
:funny1:

i am gonna make him a mini life vest this year:funny1:

can we take a group shot of jerry with all of us? :huh:
of course, getting us all at camp at once is akin to herding cats:lmao:

#31 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

The actual legend predates even 2005 and the name camp velcro.
I belive it will be 9 years this year that I met Ct Muleman at my 2nd Vibes.:jamguy:

He camped next to me and before the weekend was out we were friends and i was friends with his crew.

I belive that the opening question that was posed out in the open very loudly as i woke up the 1st morning was,

"Does anyone have a bowl?"

Um...of course i did.:devil:

I unzipped the tent and offered it up, but chef Lise was making breakfast and looking to scramble some eggs and well.....

I was in my tent baking. :pimp:

A huge round of laughter rolled thru about 4 campsites and the rest is history.:rotf:

There was one more memorable story with Chef lise regarding some produce she purchased at a very high mark up but thats for another time.:funny1:

So basically Camp Velcro started a long time ago and has grown every year and spread to many other festivals and shows over quite a few states now.

It's sort of a wierd invisible force that pulls us all together........It's VIBES:V:

Is it 9 or 10 Steve?

Anyway, every year since then we would never plan it but would end up never more than 3 tents away from each other.

#32 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

in hindsight, now that you are safe, this is wicked funny:funny1: :heart:

teo - "yeah, i loved the guacamole, i had never had it before. turns out i am deathly allergic to it..." :undecided:
"but it sure was yummy!"
you only get salsa and chips this year, my friend :heart:

Be prepared for the pouty face. :devil:

#33 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:33 PM

i loved reading this post. :grin: :heart:

#34 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

Be prepared for the pouty face. :devil:

promise? :devil:

#35 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

I have my purple wristband wrapped around my stick shift.......no it is not uncomfortable you little piggies.:devil::funny1:

Where is Ct Muleman i need to know if i am remembering that right.

Oh and fellow traveler took all those pics with Katy and me and everyone at the site.

#36 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:46 PM

I have my purple wristband wrapped around my stick shift.......no it is not uncomfortable you little piggies.:devil::funny1:

I like your style! :naughty:

Dee, no doubt it will be unavoidable. :grin:

#37 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:46 PM

Probably lazing around or some such.

#38 stylzing

stylzing
  • VibeTribe
  • 713 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

sounds sketchy:devil:

#39 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,548 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

sooooo whats in a hurricane?? it looks good ;)

#40 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

Oh and fellow traveler took all those pics with Katy and me and everyone at the site.

CTMuleman is wrapped around my stick shift, so bugger off you dirty old man. :joker:

#41 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:25 AM

Best camping crew around. SO many good times! :clapping: I'm laughing my ass off just remembering a few of our..umm... "finer" moments. :lol:

{{{{ :heart: Velcronians :heart: }}}}

Dee, do you still have that pic of me & Chris passed out in our chairs? :lol:

#42 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:38 AM

Best camping crew around. SO many good times! :clapping: I'm laughing my ass off just remembering a few of our..umm... "finer" moments. :lol:

{{{{ :heart: Velcronians :heart: }}}}

Velcroinians
Velcroinists
Velcroidinistos
Velcroidinians
Velcroidianstos
Velckers
Velcampers
VCers
Velcroinininininians

Velcroidinistos
Velcroi

#43 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

CTMuleman is wrapped around my stick shift, so bugger off you dirty old man. :joker:

:lmao: :heart:

somewhere...its the BEST! it was the year of major thunderbobby at ilcc
you guys could nap like it was your calling:funny1: :heart:

Velcroi

LOVE IT! :lol:

so, wheres tom? :huh: ))wasabi peas((

i was thinking...suzimoon was party to the first two episodes of velcroism at ilcc but then disappeared so i forgot her...:heart:
and shay (ms stadium) and todd (lizzards) were very much a part of those two outings, as well
i still feel like i am forgetting someone:undecided:

oh, someone asked about hurricanes - they are french quarter new orleans rum punch
tony buys the authentic mix from new orleans by the caseful out of his pocket and mixes up yummy, red-tongue-inducing vats of love all weekend long...:Phishfolk:
http://us.st12.yimg....se_2043_9797329

you can have some too and if you wanna chip in, please bring some rum and leave it for tony to add in as it needs it :dance:
lots of kind folks help out by bringing rum and it rocks! :clapping:
tony starts it off with like 4 handles but that barely lasts through day one:funny1:
last years total for the weekend was like 45 gallons, i think? :huh:

#44 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:36 AM

We all raged together all weekend. Ate communal meals and all congrated around the Big Red Jug of Hurricanes. :heart: :tongue:

Isn't the Mongo Hurricane Jug really yellow on the outside? Just red on the inside, where nobody but Jerry dares to go? :huh:

#45 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:40 AM

Velckers

I like this one. I don't know why. :lol: Velcronians almost sounds like we're a race of beings on an episode of Star Trek. :funny1:

#46 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:14 AM

V Cronies

:joker:

#47 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:16 AM

Probably lazing around or some such.

:spank:

#48 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:24 AM

la la la la

#49 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:26 AM

The actual legend predates even 2005 and the name camp velcro.
I belive it will be 9 years this year that I met Ct Muleman at my 2nd Vibes.:jamguy:

He camped next to me and before the weekend was out we were friends and i was friends with his crew.

Is it 9 or 10 Steve?

That was the ABB family year, '03 I believe. That was my 4th Vibes. This year will be my 10th! :dance::jamguy:

Done up many a festival or run of shows with Jambear! :pimp: Nothings more important than everyone joining the great party!

Albany > Worcester run is next! :dance::boogie:

#50 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

The Hurricaines are made with capt morgans.

I spring for the case of mix and first 7 handles of rum and about 25 gallons of spring water.

We usually have about 5 more handles donated by Vibe tribers as the weekend goes on.

The record was 52 gallons one year.....but i dont have the energy to carry all that around and dispense it anymore.
I usually have a gallon or two on me at the festival and 5lbs of ice at all times.:devil:
Hmmm, was it 03 Steve?

When did Lise buy the giant bag of Portobella mushrooms.:rotf:

This is my 10th year too and Cur's.:jamguy:

I can see an even bigger party going down this year. (if that is even possible):dance:

Yup the jug is yellow.

I kind of like being a Velconista.....makes me feel like a rebel.:rose: