Dual Proms... Dual DRESSES???

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

hey man, I'm all about experiencing the high school trip... but this seems to rub me the wrong way....

my daughter and her boyfriend attended her "Junior Prom" last year... I bought her a lovely dress... you know, 300 bucks to wear it for a few hours deal. OK, I get that.

Now, it's her Senior year and his Junior year... and she indicates that they intend on going to both her senior prom ~and~ his Junior prom... , and TWO dresses are necessary.

this is bullshit

AMIRITE??!!??

maybe I'm wrong. but I tell u what, I will buy two more dresses for this kid.
One more Prom dress, and a wedding dress. that's it.
done. finito. :monkey:

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,229 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

:shocked: I might still have my senior prom dress, purchased it on sale for $30. I could be persuaded to part with the long lavender gown cheap. :rose:

#3 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:15 PM

she makes fun of me for my "t-shirt shopping at goodwill" trips. I even mention second hand and the door shuts :lol:

#4 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,011 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

Arrange to have her caught in school with booze. Suspension = no prom.

Problem solved.

#5 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

:lol: listen, it's been a long and trying High School career... suspension also equals absences, which can both affect grades and - the absence policy is strict and we already had a close call last year.

maybe my ex wife will get a job this year... :rolling:

#6 bigtoddy

bigtoddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:39 PM

Tell her the budget is $300. 1 dress or two, her choice.

#7 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

There you go. If she wants more than that, she needs to earn it. Not your money - her money.

You should also point her to the countless blogs that are likely out there about bridesmaids complaining about spending $300 on a dress that they'll wear once. Make her read them and take a quiz :lol:

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,229 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

she makes fun of me for my "t-shirt shopping at goodwill" trips. I even mention second hand and the door shuts :lol:

Hey it was only used once, not stained and could be promoted as retro-new. :funny1:

#9 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

not stained

nans

#10 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,229 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

:spank:

#11 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

:funny1:

#12 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

I wore 1 dress to 3 proms one year - she could wear last year's dress to his junior prom - or maybe have it altered so it's a little different?:dunno:

#13 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

I wore the same dress to 3 proms...2 junior year and one senior year. we got it on the clearance rack for $75.

my senior year I wanted a new dress and my mom told me I could either spend $200 on spring/summer clothes or get a new dress. I chose the clothes. :dunno:

#14 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

I grew up on second-hand and hand-me-downs. I'm with you on this one, Chris. But you know how girls are. It's partly a "competition" with the other girls in the fashion of "keeping up with the Jones".

#15 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,302 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:48 PM

I grew up on second-hand and hand-me-downs. I'm with you on this one, Chris. But you know how girls are. It's partly a "competition" with the other girls in the fashion of "keeping up with the Jones".

As the youngest of 5 boys, I wore hand-me-downs for the 10 or 11 years of my life! And it's totally a competition amongst girls to have the freshest fashion!!

#16 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

As the youngest of 5 boys, I wore hand-me-downs for the 10 or 11 years of my life! And it's totally a competition amongst girls to have the freshest fashion!!

I don't know what kind of girls you're hanging out with Rich, but it's not like that in my crowd.
Nor is it with the girls my girls hang out with.

(I'm 3rd out of 4 girls who wore hand-me-downs through my teenage years.)

#17 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,229 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

Ahem, I wore a lot of clothes purchased at rummage sales and purchased pretty much the most inexpensive prom gown I could find. :spank:

#18 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,302 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Ahem, I wore a lot of clothes purchased at rummage sales and purchased pretty much the most inexpensive prom gown I could find. :spank:

Okay, so maybe it's just a competition now. I can tell you it was for my nieces who have already been through high school and going to as many as 4 different proms in one year.

#19 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

Okay, so maybe it's just a competition now. I can tell you it was for my nieces who have already been through high school and going to as many as 4 different proms in one year.

Depends on what kind of crowd you're hanging with.
My 3 daughters never bought into that kind of crap and neither did their friends.

#20 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,229 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Maybe your nieces are princesses?

Really though, I know what you are talking about, it was just never part of my world.

#21 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

I think I'll be able to explain the reasoning and she'll be alright... I'll buy one, if she want's a second one, that's her prollum.

#22 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

buy a white dress and some dye. wear white dress and dye a new color.

#23 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,302 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

Maybe your nieces are princesses?

Really though, I know what you are talking about, it was just never part of my world.

I've never known any of them to be, but I wasn't around for their prom or prom preparation activities.

Yeah, it was never part of my world either. If it was for the girls while I was in high school, I was oblivious to it.

:dunno:

#24 bigtoddy

bigtoddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

Mom, I need new clothes.

OK, we can go to the store and you can buy 1 shirt, or we can go to the salvation army and you can get 5 shirts.

OK, mom, I'd rather have 5 shirts. But only if I can pick them out.

Teach your children well.

#25 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

Please post #1's of you in said prom dress.

#26 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

look on the bright side. at least she's going to the prom and not skipping it to go to a Grateful Dead show with Alice D like some of us did.:coffee:

#27 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

:lol: This is one of the last remaining photos of her wearing something TyeDye-ish... she seeks them out and burns them :rolling:

Posted Image

Lynn on Far left... :funny1: 6 years old, me thinks.

#28 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

I didn't read the entire thread, but how about you propose a set amount ($300) for dresses...if she can find 2 that equal that amount she can have two if she can't she can have one.

she can totally wear her dress from last year (if it still fits) to his prom (if it's in a different school...)

also check out Marshall's and TJMAXX and Filene's basement etc...they have great deals :)

#29 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

they have proms at schools?

I dunno what's up this year but last year senior prom was a chartered yacht on Boston Harbor... Junior prom was at a hotel. :undecided:

I think she should wear last years dress to his prom... even if anyone was "there" who the hell is gonna remember :dunno:

#30 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

It'll be easier for her date to get the prom dress off the second time around! :eek:

Now you either have a reason for her to want to wear the dress again or for you to buy her a different one for each prom! :lol:

#31 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,229 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

:lol:

#32 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:22 AM

I didn't mean at the school, I meant if they went to the same HS.

Is there anyone she could borrow a dress from? A bunch of us borrowed each other's 8th grade graduation dresses for proms and sweet 16s.

#33 manzanita stark

manzanita stark
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

What's a prom?:funny1:

Though our class never had one I did end up going to two.:lol: My gf did not have a new dress for the second one and I would not rent another tux. Through connections I was able to raid the costume dept. of the local theater group. Wore an awesome "of the era" gangster style like Dutch Schultz or someone.:lol: More fun than a rented one and it was free!!!!

#34 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,229 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

#1s or nans

#35 manzanita stark

manzanita stark
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

#1s or nans

Only have one from the first and it's a side view. Don't recall ever having any of the second one.:funny1:

#36 syd_25

syd_25
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ct

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

Mom, I need new clothes.

OK, we can go to the store and you can buy 1 shirt, or we can go to the salvation army and you can get 5 shirts.

Saving this for later use... Thank you.:wink:

#37 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,229 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Only have one from the first and it's a side view. Don't recall ever having any of the second one.:funny1:

The second one sounds so hip!

#38 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

I never went to the prom either. Proms are dumb. It's all about the after party. :gop:

#39 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

I had a house party prom night... live band in living room :crappy van halen'd: constant academic probation disallowed me from most school functions :undecided:

#40 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

This is an excellent idea! She can easily get two dresses for $300.

Mom, I need new clothes.

This is how I was raised. I am not saying it's the 'only' way but when it's necessary, it's a perfectly acceptable option! :v:

#41 manzanita stark

manzanita stark
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

I never went to the prom either. Proms are dumb. It's all about the after party. :gop:

We had the all night party instead. Didn't go over well. The next year they forced the Juniors to have a prom. Saw it as fitting to make an appearance to our underclassmen's seeing I had been one of the instigators to not have one the year before.:lol:

#42 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationGun wavin' New Haven

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

Why doesn't she get one dress, and then borrow or trade dresses with a friend for the other prom.

#43 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationGun wavin' New Haven

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

I used to trade dresses with my friends.

#44 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Why doesn't she get one dress, and then borrow or trade dresses with a friend for the other prom.

I will suggest this... good idea

#45 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

woops. just left this screen up under my trading screen.... had to call boss over to enter an override... he just minimized it :rolling:

#46 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

I didn't read the entire thread, but just wanted to say this.

Junior prom I got a nice dress. Senior prom I got another nice new dress. I went to my boyfriend from a different school's junior prom, and even though it was all new people who wouldn't have seen me in my dress at my senior prom, I got a new dress anyways.

I am probably not the best person to be posting in this thread then. :lol:

(I still have all 3 dresses hanging in my closet at my parent's house. Haven't been worn since. Boom!)

#47 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

did your parents buy all three dresses? :shocked:

if YES: are you an only child?

if NO... GOOD!!

#48 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Yes, they bought all 3. And no, I have an older brother.

I was a spoiled brat. :lol:

#49 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

yeah, honestly if they werent such a RIP off I wouldnt really mind.....

#50 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

I like the idea of her wearing the one last year to his. Also, like Erin said, TJ Maxx has awesome, inexpensive dresses. My wedding dress didn't even cost $300.:shocked: