fusing plastic?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

I've been surfing the net looking at stuff people have made out of plastic bags, I know irie made a shopping bag out of shopping bags :lol:

but I saw a pic of a raincoat someone made... if you could make a raincoat, couldn't you make cloth diaper covers out of fused plastic? I have heard people making cloth diaper covers out of old raincoats, so logically speaking, couldn't you just fuse some plastic bags together, cut them into the diaper cover pattern and sew it all together with fold over elastic? you could even fuse in some velcro with the iron on velcro... it would probably work better than sewed on velcro...

too bad I don't have any kids in diapers :lol:

#2 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

you can turn a raincoat into a cloth diaper?? i had no idea you could do that

i haven't tried the fusing myself b/c i always get crafty on stuck in the house days (rain, snow, sickly) and they warn all over the place that you have to be in a well ventilated area b/c of the fumes.

#3 irie

irie
  • VibeTribe
  • 618 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

i'm not sure if that'd be a good idea. my bad wasn't THAT strong.

i'll post pictures of the bag i made almost 2 years ago. i love this bag :lol: :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:48 PM

you can turn a raincoat into a cloth diaper?? i had no idea you could do that

a cloth diaper cover, for like, pre-folds... not an actual diaper, just the water proof cover that holds the diaper and the poop and pee in one place. without a cover, everything would ooze out of the cloth diaper.

anyway, a diaper cover is really easy to make, it's just hard finding the right materials... those picnic table cloths are pretty cool for it too, as long as it's relatively washable and coated on one side...

#5 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

and irie, I forgot how much that bag rocked!

#6 irie

irie
  • VibeTribe
  • 618 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:36 AM

joia, i make sandwich wraps and i line the inside with the plastic picnic tablecloths with the fiber back. the only thing is you can't really scrub them clean. just good wipedowns. and it doesn't really stretch. so if those aren't issues, you should totally go to walmart. they have super cute prints for $5 :lol:

#7 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

that bag is pretty sweet! where did you find a bag with fuck you on it??

#8 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

like I said, I don't have any kids in diapers... I just thought it may be a really cool way to recycle.

#9 irie

irie
  • VibeTribe
  • 618 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

that bag is pretty sweet! where did you find a bag with fuck you on it??

when i lived in philly i went to a small little shop & bought a tshirt that looked like a Philly's tshirt, but it said "Philthy" instead :lol:

after i walked the whole way home i realized it said "fuck you" instead of "thank you" :lol: :lol:

#10 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

hehehehe - that's awesome!