Oh, mama. I'm so sorry. ((Zevon))

#52 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

thank you Sarah.

i had to leave him and can't get him back till late afternoon. that means no acupuncture today. dr john will call a dr bay in latham, who does u/sounds to see if we can get in for the kidneys. :cry:

#53 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

sending good kitty vibes :heart:

#54 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

We are sending tons of love and light to you both!!

#55 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

i can pick him up this afternoon, need to call first so the catheter they put in this morning is removed.

i have a new acu appt for tomorrow at 11:15 and the u/sound at 2pm. i think that will leave me with a good hour - hour and a half to kill, unfortunately. wouldn't be worth driving back up here to turn around and go back south though..........

brrreeeeaaaathhe.....

poor dr john - this morning, he kept saying it was okay 'it's okay nancy, it's ok', and i said no it isn't! and he said 'well it's as okay as it can be right now with what we have to work with and i can fix it. i'll fix it, nancy.' :cry: so he had just better!! hopefully the antibiotic will kick in really soon.

#56 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

(((nancykind)))

I lost our first kitty to a urinary tract blockage. Hoping and praying for Zevon. :heart:

#57 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,948 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Hope the Z-boy is back to his old self licketysplit! :heart:

#58 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

thank you both. i know Renee, i've been remembering that. it can move very quickly, that's for sure. :heart:

but he's home for now! :D doing okay, lookin' a little rough around the edges, but they made sure to send him home with an empty bladder. if he doesn't pee tonight on his own he has to go back at 7:30am but he SHOULD be able to come home with me afterwards so i can still make the other appts, only one of which dr. john knows about....

apparently these vets in latham consider dr. verra to be their competition and aren't very complimentary about him so i'm to be prepared for a 'sales pitch' to get one him a heart u/s by one of their two certified cardiologists. the dr doing the kidneys is an internist. but probably not able to be done tomorrow i'm guessing, so it would mean another trip. i'm not opposed to it... we'll see what happens. if they can do it tomorrow i'm thinking i might do it, all this stress could indeed be taking a toll and dr verra doesn't want to see him until january. oh geez, i hope i don't 'fall in love' with these vets so to speak, and can't help but want to go back! how inconvenient that would be!

he seems a little restless but wants to be petted and is rubbing on my legs.

Edited by nancykind, 11 November 2011 - 01:31 AM.

#59 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

wow. he has kidney and bladder stones and also stones in the urethra. :cry: the stone i saw in his right kidney on the u/s looked big. then there were a few smaller ones in his bladder and an xray showed a string of even smaller ones in the urethra. they'll send yesterday's urine out for analysis to see what kind of stones they are but i'd have to guess that they're the kind that do usually dissolve, but one or a few got stuck and it's been downhill from there. dr bay thinks the kidney disease has been going on for a while because the left kidney is small and not kidney shaped any more. the right one is better, but is also headed south, hard to say at what rate.

i could have left him there and had the overnight/weekend surgeons do the heart u/s and operate on him - assuming they judged the heart to even be strong enough - but i just couldn't do it. i always, but always, have a billion questions afterwards and i didn't feel well enough informed. i actually did call them back twice after i got back into town, and instead of going straight home i stopped at the vet so that dr. john could see the pics on the cd they gave me because he's not working this weekend and i wanted to talk to him about him doing the surgery up here, now that we have more info.

yesterday's urine will be sent out to determine what kind of stone they are and future treatment/predictions as to recurring issues depend on that. they put him on a drug that was supposed to relax the sphincter enough to maybe allow him to pee, but it didn't work for him.

so.

option 1 is, i can decide not to do the surgery and let him go in as much peace as possible, today. :cry:

i emailed dr. dallas last night as she asked me to do and she said she wanted to call me today. i went up this morning and dr. laura was on. she thinks she MIGHT have flushed the stones out because she didn't feel any grit when she did the catheter. he seems MUCH more comfortable and happy but that may only be because his bladder is empty, or, he might pee on his own today. if i decide to let him go, i would bring him back in at the end of the day, which is only 5pm. :cry:

option 2 - plan for surgery. they can't tell me when he can get in. maybe monday, but i don't find out until 8:30 monday morning and i'd have to work this all out with my boss. dr laura does feel that she can do the catheter easily enough that i can keep him with me until surgery.

they would do a heart ultrasound to see if they think he'd even survive surgery. if they think it's okay to proceed they would try to flush the stones from the urethra backwards, back into the bladder. then they go in through the abdomen to remove the stones from the bladder. higher risk with the heart disease and if something went wrong, i've have to drive down and pick up the body, which would be horrible beyond words, because i want to keep his ashes. :cry:

if the flushing doesn't work they have to actually cut the urethra so that the stones can get through now and hopefully going forward, too. "filet it" was the term dr. laura used today. i would laugh at that if i was in any other mood. anyway that's a much harder recovery, they actually send him home with pain meds and you know how rarely they do that! a good 4 days before he'd be feeling better. but - apparently it works quite well - cats who have this surgery usually do not have any more blockages, so that would be the good news.

so he does have kidney disease. the acupuncture could help slow that and give him some overall benefit.

he does have cardiomyopathy making surgery more risky. as far as i knooooooww, his heart is stable but i'd find out for sure on monday.

more stones will likely form in the kidneys and they may be controllable to some degree but they may not be, we don't know yet.

cats who have the penis surgery generally do quite well afterwards and have a good quality of life. assuming the heart meds continued to work as well as they have been for all these years.

if i'm not going to have the surgery done i have to put him to sleep tonight at 5pm. :cry:

i'm so sad..... :cry:

#60 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

Oh (((Nancy))) :heart::heart::heart:

I fully support you in either of the choices you make. :heart:

#61 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:45 AM

i chose not to have the surgery. :heart: i decided it was best for him in the long run and it mostly sorta kinda for the most part feels right. you know how it is.... we had a really truly lovely day though. we spent it in my bedroom, mostly just the two of us. Cassady came in for a long time and sat near him, especially when he was on the box and nuzzled him. i'm glad just the two brothers had some quiet time together. :heart:

i spent a lot of time thinking over what to do and imagining him going through the surgery, and the next few days following it. about the future of his kidneys no matter what i do, and the fact that, ya know, this is much better than it could be. if he went into cardiac arrest, i'd be frantic. he'd be frantic. and we wouldn't have had our lovely day. he spent most of the morning stretched out on this little padded bench in the sun. i kept moving it so he would stay 'lit' and he got hours of sunshine soaking. he ate decadently and loved every bite, including plenty of canned food, with some extra water added, some 'chicka chicka boom boom' flavored treats and even a few licks of butter off of my fingers. :)

thanks to dr laura this morning, he felt well enough that he wanted to be petted and to snuggle a lot so we were curled up together for hours and i watched him sleep. at one point he was hugging bird and i was hugging him and my heart just about damned broke, right out loud. he was beautiful today and i will love him forever. :heart:

{{{{{{{{ :heart: RIP Zevon. Forever in my heart ~ :heart: ~ May 15, 2003 - Nov 12, 2011 :heart: }}}}}}}}

#62 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

Love & Light (((Nancy)))

So beautiful that you and Zevon were able to say goodbye in peace and love.
May warm memories and smiles take the sadness away. :heart:

#63 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:42 AM

{{{Nancy}}} so sorry to hear about your tough decision...but you did the right thing. part of our responsibility as pet parents is to maintain quality of life for our furbabies and to make the right decisions when it's no longer possible to maintain that.

my heart goes out to you, and atticus and finch send their kitty love too :heart::heart:

#64 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

thank you both, it means a lot. :heart:

dr. john called this morning to say how sorry he was, which was really nice. he phoned back a short time later to say that i should have Tiger and Cassady (the males) xray'd. since Zevon never showed crystals in the urine, that's not a good enough test and xrays would be best. maybe there's something going on with them that can be addressed sooner, rather than later. Tiger goes tomorrow night, Cassady has a separate appt.

*sigh*

#65 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,948 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

So sorry Nancy.
I know how difficult it is to make that decision and say goodbye. :heart:

#66 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,707 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

my heart still aches after having to make that horrible decision with my precious marley last spring :cry:
so i can empathize all too well :heart:
i, too, kept his ashes...

i am so sorry nancy :heart:

#67 soulshiny

soulshiny
  • VibeTribe
  • 626 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

so sorry nanc:heart:

glad you were able to snuggle and enjoy his last few hours.:heart::heart:

#68 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

I just read the last few posts, and I'm sitting here in my cubicle with tears in my eyes. I'm so sorry Nancy - we know all too well how incredibly difficult it can be to let go of such a beloved family member. I'm sending you all the love and vibes I have. :heart:

RIP Zevon. May your journey be smooth and your destination be filled with the love and happiness that you had in life. Please say hello to BooBoo Kitty when you arrive.

(((Nancy)))

#69 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

Oh Nancy, I am so sorry :cry:

Spending you love, sympathy and understanding during this difficult time :heart:

RIP beautiful Zevon

#70 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

thanks again everyone. :heart:

dr bay called yesterday and the sample collected on friday from Zev:heart:n shows absolutely no crystals and therefore provide no information. that's unfortunate, it might have been helpful with the others. wtf, did i get a bad batch of cat food??!?? :bang:

Tiger goes in at 3 to see if we can see anything. both my pet sitter and i think he's not acting like himself and he's gained weight in the last few weeks. the box looks okay but........ :dunno: :sad:

#71 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,022 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

((nancy)) I love you. So glad you got to share a sunshine time together beforehand. :heart:

#72 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

My condolences, cats are extra special, and when we lose them, we feel a real loss.

#73 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:01 AM

how are you doing Nancy? How is Tiger?

:heart:

#74 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:13 AM

Tiger be well. :heart:

#75 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

i'm doing okay. sad, but i know i made a good decision for him. :sad:

Tiger is a-ok!! Cassady on the other hand, may have some stones. some little spots showed up on the xray and i'd need an u/sound to know for sure, which i'm not doing as yet, but the spots may be stones in the bladder. so i'm torn.... i got a bag of the c/d dry food to make dr john happy, but here i am trying to get them off by products and crap and the c/d food is full of grains, by products and ingredients that i can't pronounce. very, very frustrating!!!!

#76 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

No doubt! The vet told me after the fact that male kitties need a low ash diet.

#77 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

i keep hearing about the ph of the urine but Z's ph was normal last friday. :dunno: i'll have to have a conversation with a knowledgeable benson's staff person the next time i'm up there and they can show me the piece i feel like i'm missing.

i might email the results to the holistic vet, dr dallas, to see what she thinks of them, too.

#78 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:27 AM

oh nancy, i'm just seeing this now and i am so so so sorry. i don't even know what to say, i am so sad right now.... :undecided:

lawrence just walked in and i told him and now i'm crying :cry1:

i'm so sorry..... :heart: :heart: :heart:

#79 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

thank you summer :heart:

#80 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

:heart: :heart: :heart:

#81 CreekFreek

CreekFreek
  • VibeTribe
  • 850 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

Oh, Nancy - I'm so sorry! :heart: I never saw this update - Your post brought tears to my eyes.

It's so common in male cats. (?) My orange boy Quincy has to eat the C/D food too. My female eats it too just because it would be impossible to feed them different stuff.

My neighbor lost her cat over the summer. He'd never had problems but he got completely blocked and very sick while she was out of town. The pet sitter rushed him to the vet but it was too late. (so glad I wasn't the one watching her animals that weekend)

#82 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:38 AM

aw, nancy, i'm so sorry about zevon. heartbreaking. you must miss him so much.

i hope you get to the bottom of what is going on with the others. :heart:

#83 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

a year ago today..... i miss you Zevon. :heart:

#84 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,729 posts