• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:11 AM

out of used grocery bags!
I uploaded the pic from my phone, now I have to get it on photobucket and I'll post it. It came out really cool!

#2 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:15 AM

Posted Image

#3 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:59 AM

wow, how did you do it? :clapping:

#4 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:44 AM

That's awesome!!!

#5 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

long story, it was a weird train of consciousness... I'll tell it when I get back. (from dropping off Rio)

#6 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

ok cool. :smile:

#7 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

so I was reading mothering magazine and there was this article about crafting and they were commenting on making a rag rug from old jeans. Here I am, looking at a pair of old jeans my husband wants to donate to good will... so in the pic, the chick was crocheting it... I can crochet and I was like, "I can do that!" hence the "rag rug" thread...

So I go to you tube because it's where I learn everything and I do a search for rag rug and I come across this:
[ame][/ame]

then I scroll down on the side and saw this:
[ame][/ame]

I then watched this:
[ame][/ame]

and then I found a pattern that I liked when I watched this:
[ame][/ame]

I cut up 3 grocery bags full of grocery bags and strung them together.

I followed the pattern, but with a size n hook, so It's pretty big, but perfect for toting groceries home!

#8 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

wow your bag looks great!
i've only made small baskets out of grocery bag plarn and used a K hook (it was a rainy day and i got bored along with slightly annoyed that grocery bags have taken over a whole cabinet but only had my f-k hook set)

#9 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

I'm sure with a smaller hook, it would be tighter and stiffer and more like a basket, than a bag... I dunno, I never worked with the stuff before. I had heard of the crocheted "plarn" bags and baskets, but I never gave it enough thought on how to string it all together to make said plarn...

walmart bags and produce bags are the softest and easiest to work with.

#10 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

working with plarn is tough - too much tension to make it tighter and it tears so i must admit my baskets are a little floppy

#11 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

That is fantastic! Awesome job! I would be proud to go grocery shopping with that! :)

#12 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:11 PM

well, I didn't just slip through the stitches, I had to use my finger to get it to go over, I don't know if that makes sense... like instead of pulling through, I used my finger to slide the "plarn" over, then I pulled through the second loop...

#13 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:22 PM

next time, I may get all anal and separate out all the brown, then the brown with writing, white, white with black writing, etc... then I can do more of a pattern... but I actually did it "random" on purpose, and I had my kids "help" by opening the rings for me to thread them together, so they made it completely random. I used some clear bags too, which add their own flavor...

#14 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:11 AM

That is utmostly, totally the coolest thing ever!!! :lol:

#15 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

That is utmostly, totally the coolest thing ever!!! :lol:

thanks! I thought so too! I wish I was the creative one that came up with the whole concept...

next I want to make a sun hat... :lol:

#16 lil pixi

lil pixi
  • VibeTribe
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

That's really crazy work for what it's made out of! :eek: :thup:
Awesome!! :smile:

#17 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

ya think?
thanks! it was a breeze, you just have to be careful not to pull it too much, otherwise, it's just a really simple pattern (why I chose it)

now I have no plastic bags... :lol:

#18 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

Would you be willing to share how you prepared the bags for crocheting? How did you tie them together? Which direction did you cut them?

#19 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

the second and third youtube videos joia posted show how to cut the bags and loop them together. if you can't view the youtube vids here's a still tutorial
plarn instructions

#20 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

it's in the second and third youtube videos.

I folded the bags sideways, like laying them flat and folding in half side to side, not top to bottom and you keep folding until they are about 2 inches, then you cut off the top and the bottom. when I first started out, I used the handles and the bottoms, just by tying them in, but it was a big pain in the ass for me to work the knots into the "back" so I only used the strips. once you have the bag cut in strips, each strip is actually a loop. I don't know what it's called, but you just thread the loops into each other to make a chain, I used to do it with those jelly bracelets when I was a kid.

The old lady shows it pretty well, but the hippy chick also shows it in the 3rd video...

I took aqll the scraps to my local grocery store and put them in theis plastic bag recycling bin.

#21 Joia

Joia
  • VibeTribe
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:35 PM

the second and third youtube videos joia posted show how to cut the bags and loop them together. if you can't view the youtube vids here's a still tutorial
plarn instructions

thanks! you beat me to it, you must have been posting it while I was still writing mine :lol:

awesome site, thanks so much for posting it!

#22 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

I know what you mean by the jelly bracelets! Hahaha! Perfect explanation, thank you!

I'm so excited to try this!:clapping: