Its Almost Ski Season!

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#201 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:36 AM

We'll see how assimilated I'll be.....I like my knees the way they are now :rose:

skiing bumps is an up down natural motion. you're actually much more likely to damage your knees carving at high speed than skiing bumps. You're putting more strain on them at angles that can snap a ligament like a twig if you catch an edge at speed. ;)

Speaking of carving at high speed. I got absolutely dusted today by 65+ year old man. I shared a lift ride with a guy with a Senior Season pass, which starts at age 65. Real nice guy, said he'd only been out for the past two weeks this season due to a torn pectoral muscle from a fall he took early season shoveling his driveway. Doc said he was done for the year and he said screw it a few weeks ago. Said he skied every single day and needed to be out there. He had a Gunstock Season Pass, Cannon, Bretton Woods and a Boyne pass (Loon, Sunday River and Sugarloaf), but he turned that in after the injury early season to get a credit for next season.

So, on the lift I notice he's got some Nordica GS race skis on that were a solid 10cm longer than my skis, I'm guessing 185s. I found this quite unusual for a man his age, so out of curiosity, I decide to take the same trail he does. Very quickly it's apparent this guy can carve like a pro and he starts pulling away from me, going faster, faster faster. Half way down the mountain on the final steep section of the trail, he gets in a full downhill tuck and just let's them fly. Fastest I've seen ANYONE ski at Gunstock this season. 65+ Years old with a torn pectoral muscle. One of the most impressive skiing performances I've ever seen in my lifetime on the hill.

......if I can rip half way as good as that guy at 65, I'll be thrilled.

#202 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

I love hearing stories like that! That's one of the reasons why I'm so glad I became a skier - it's something you can do pretty much your whole life and still be good at it even when you're older :smile:

#203 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Had a great day at Ski Santa Fe today.. now the east is getting the pow and NM is getting shafted..vthough southern CO is still getting bombed. Durango got 28" in last 48 hours. Hoping we get snow so we have some powder to chase, planning a big trip next week.

#204 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

Let us have some of the fun! It's supposed to rain here on Saturday so we gotta get it while we can. Hoping for up to a foot tonight :jamguy: Where are you going next week?

#205 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:00 AM

Depending on snow.. Durango, Taos, Wolf Creek, or Telluride. The plan is just to go whichever mountain has the best conditions. Hoping it's Telluride :mrgreen:

#206 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

It's nice to have those kinds of options :smile: Sugarbush yesterday was awesome. It snowed all day and there were no crowds at all so the conditions just got better and better as the day went on. And Ryan, I did a bunch over runs over at Castlerock and I was loving those bumps! What's happening to me?!

#207 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Meanwhile in Alta..............

Posted Image

#208 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,944 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

Just spent thur-fri at Killington.

Thursday was a fresh powder day while riding in the storm all day.
Over a foot of untracked powder everywhere i went till 1100am.

I just hit it right and played powder pig all day.

Ryan Montbleau threw down hard at the pickle thurs night!!

Friday was hidden powder stashes, and soft bumps thay grew in size all day long.

No beginners anywhere to be found Burton is doing a free ride event and the folks from Google were up there bashing it with the locals.

I came home late last night.......rain in the forcast and my legs are burning.:jamguy:

#209 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

Sounds like a success to me!! :jamguy:

#210 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,944 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

I had so much fun i forgot to take pictures.:lol:

#211 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image

#212 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,171 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Something I hope to never experience while riding a chairlift :eek:

#213 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

Ok....fine! One from Sugarbush on Thursday :dance:

Posted Image

#214 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

Out west, it's still ski season. Squaw is bracing for 5-6 feet through Sunday!

I went out to Telluride (finally) this past week. Got duped on our powder day. Was calling for 4-8 inches, and one forecase said up to 14".. but it never happened. Storm missed COMPLETELY. Such a let down. Fortunetly, we still were in Telluride, where there are no bad days.

Posted Image

Posted Image