Its Almost Ski Season!

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#151 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

We had a really great morning at Sugarbush yesterday. Temperatures hung out in the low single digits, but it wasn't windy so it wasn't nearly as bad at Jay on Saturday. The cold kept the crowds away though so there were pretty much no lift lines and trails weren't very crowded. Not bad for MLK weekend!!! One of the lifts was closed on Saturday so when they opened it back up yestrday there was still some powder to play around in :dance:

Posted Image

#152 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Posted Image

#153 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:33 AM

3 days in a row of XC skiing!

Do ski places have deals the weekend of the Stupid Bowl?

#154 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

This is an unknown little secret in northwest Montana that is absolutely DEEP, DEEP, DEEP right now!:v:
http://skiwhitefish.com/

#155 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

A strong pattern has emerged this winter season. “The North is where the snow is.” Just have a look at the list below. Notice the pattern? Almost all of the deepest snowpacks are in the Pacific Northwest and for good reason. The jet stream has stayed in the Pacific Northwest nearly the entire season. It did dip down last week to grace the Western USA with big snow totals (72 inches at Alpine Meadows, CA) for about 5 days. Then it retreated back to its comfort zone in the Pacific Northwest. The Northern Rockies have also been getting some love as these storms march through the PNW and dump their leftovers in the N. Rockies.

25 DEEPEST SKI RESORT SNOWPACKS IN NORTH AMERICA:
#1 - Mount Baker, WA = 181 inches

#2 - Mount Washington, B.C. = 155 inches

#3 - Eagle Crest, AK = 150″

#4 - Shames Mountain, B.C. = 139 inches

#5 - Snoqualmie, WA = 122 inches

#5 - White Pass, WA = 122 inches

#5 - Alpental, WA = 122 inches

#6 - Alyeska, AK = 114 inches

#6 - Mount Bachelor, OR = 114 inches

#6 - Timberline, OR= 114 inches

#7 - Crystal Mountain, WA = 102 inches

#7 - Lookout Pass, ID = 102 inches

#8 - Mount Hood Meadows, OR = 100 inches

#8 - Mount Seymour, B.C. = 100 inches

#9 - Stevens Pass, WA = 99 inches

#10 - Whistler Blackcomb, B.C. = 96 inches

#11 - Fernie, B.C. = 93 inches

#12 - Schweitzer, ID = 91 inches

#12 - 49 Degrees North, WA = 91 inches

#13 - Revelstoke, B.C. = 86 inches

#14 - Silverton, CO = 84 inches

#15 - Whitewater, B.C. = 82 inches

#16 - Kicking Horse, B.C. = 80 inches

#17 - Jackson Hole, WY = 80 inches

#17 - Wolf Creek, CO = 73 inches

#17 - Brundage Mountain, ID = 73 inches

#156 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

No skiing posts in a week, = NO SNOW! We did get 4-5 inches overnight on Tuesday in the mountains above Albuquerque, making Wed a pretty decent ride day, but that's it. Was debating driving 4 hours to Wolf Creek tonight to get a $33 local day tomorrow. But feeling picky. That's too far of a drive for mediocre snow, and warm conditions

#157 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

We went out for a few hours this morning. It wasn't bad considering the rain we got yesterday, but it was pretty warm so it softened things up. I'm just really itching for one of those big, epic days where the snow is great all day and you ski until you're about to fall over. We've yet to have anything close to that, but here's to hoping for one of those years with a fantastic February and March!! :jamguy:

#158 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

Going into Febuary and the U.S. skiing all around has been pretty weak. Resorts on the other side of the pond in Austria & Switzerland had amazing natural snow December & January...I see that Colorado has recieved some much needed snow though...

http://www.ski.com/snow/brief.aspx

#159 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

This is my 29th year on skis. Easily the worst season I've seen. We've had low snowfall years like this one before, but never do I recall a season so absent of cold weather to make snow.

I've been out 9 times and had some fun, but it's getting pretty depressing. Praying we finish HUGE like 06-07. Ma Nature didn't get cooking with the natural snow in New England that year really til Valentine's Day with a 2-3 foot dump across the entire region. Then it was on long donkey kong and easily the best March and April skiing I can ever remember.

#160 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

I'm with you on that!

I'm really missing out, have a pass to two great mountains, and recently been made unemployed. This could be a serious win if there was some snow in our future!

#161 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

This is my 29th year on skis. Easily the worst season I've seen. We've had low snowfall years like this one before, but never do I recall a season so absent of cold weather to make snow.

I've been out 9 times and had some fun, but it's getting pretty depressing. Praying we finish HUGE like 06-07. Ma Nature didn't get cooking with the natural snow in New England that year really til Valentine's Day with a 2-3 foot dump across the entire region. Then it was on long donkey kong and easily the best March and April skiing I can ever remember.

I've also been out 9 times, but most of those days have just been half-days because the conditions have been so mediocre. We've had some great mornings, then by noon the snow has gone to crap, so we just head home.

#162 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

It looks like the messy mix is coming into VT on Wed again.....

This weekend - Feb 4 The Kind Buds will be at Sugarbush North (Mt Ellen) for an apres ski from 3 - 6 PM Then off to SlideBrook Lodge from 9:30 - 12:30 .

Next week on Friday The Kind Buds are at Jay Peak playing from 6 - 9 PM in the Tower Bar - Jay Peak's water park looks AWESOME!

#163 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

I was out at Bolton Saturday morning. The conditions weren't the greatest, but it was sunny and warm so I had a BLAST.

Also, it was Maya's first time on a chairlift. She absolutely loves skiing, and is doing great. What a proud mama. :wink:

#164 Strange Mark

Strange Mark
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

This awful snow year (so far) is all my fault. Last January 3rd we broke ground on our new house up in Bethel, ME. :bang: We moved in in June, and this is our first season in the new digs.

Oh well, snow or no snow, yesterday was day 25. :boogie: 109 trails at Sunday River and the snow is by far the best of the year.

#165 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:39 AM

Rode Santa Fe for the first time today, GREAT MTN!! They had 5" this morning, and it dumped all day. Perfect day on the hill. Just the right amount of challenging terrain and easier stuff when you want a break. No lift lines, friendly ski patrol. Loving my pass! I think this was like day 12 for me, which is nothing to brag about, but it's a personal record. I normally can't afford to get out this much, but with this pass and my new free time, I can't afford NOT to!! :jump:

#166 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:52 AM

nice Heady... ski Sante Fe is super fun. ever hit up Taos? some of the craziest stuff I've ever seen there.

wow... I'm getting that sinking feeling that this may be a ski-less season for me. I'm loving getting the winter hiking in, but I'm just not driving 5 hours north on a weekend for nothing but man-made and few inches of chewed up natural snow. Too many other trips to plan anything out west.

:sad: make some tracks for me!

#167 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,434 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

stick to the hiking BHB. i'm spending the winter in vt and haven't spent much time on my board. a few hours on the mountain and i'm done. hardly worth a 4-5 hour drive up from LI.

i checked the 10 day forecast and no storms heading our way.

at least the heat bill has been lower.

#168 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

Riding Purgatory on Thursday, and Telluride on Friday. This. Is. Going. To. Be. EPIC!

Purg - 100% open, 3" in last 24 hr, 10" in last 48. YTD = 134" base = 61"
Telluride - 11" in last 24 hr, 14" in last 48 hr, 7 day total = 22". YTD = 135" base = 58"

LET'S DO THIS :jamguy: :jamguy: :jamguy:

#169 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:22 AM

i'm spending the winter in vt and haven't spent much time on my board.

wait... so can I borrow your boat?

Riding Purgatory on Thursday, and Telluride on Friday. This. Is. Going. To. Be. EPIC!

Purg - 100% open, 3" in last 24 hr, 10" in last 48. YTD = 134" base = 61"
Telluride - 11" in last 24 hr, 14" in last 48 hr, 7 day total = 22". YTD = 135" base = 58"

LET'S DO THIS :jamguy: :jamguy: :jamguy:

Heady : one of the 4 people in North America lucky enough to be happy for ski conditions this year. :lol:

#170 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Its getting down to 5 below tonight, the snow guns will be working hard....

#171 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Ya know what, I've ridden Bolton the past 2 Saturdays. It wasn't the greatest conditions ever, in fact it was pretty hard packed and icy in spots, but it was SUNNY and warm out. That in itself made for 2 awesome Saturdays!!!!

#172 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

Ya know what, I've ridden Bolton the past 2 Saturdays. It wasn't the greatest conditions ever, in fact it was pretty hard packed and icy in spots, but it was SUNNY and warm out. That in itself made for 2 awesome Saturdays!!!!

Ya! My boys are going to Bolton tonight - I'll let you know how the conditions were..

#173 sneakyjack

sneakyjack
  • VibeTribe
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

Kitty
Any buds sightings in So VT
Stratton? Magic? killington?

I'll check the site but figured I'd ask here.

#174 sneakyjack

sneakyjack
  • VibeTribe
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

February 11 The Wild Boar Lodge at Bromley Ski Resort 3:30-6:30 in Peru, VT

#175 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:02 AM

day 11 on the hill today. pretty good snow actually. though I'd give my left testicle to ski some bumps

#176 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:47 AM

canceled this weekends trip, baby has strep

gggrrrrhhh! oh well, we've got more winter on the way. Can always reschedule luckily

#177 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'll be at Bolton this afternoon and tomorrow morning. Today's a nice sunny day and should be warm. That oughta make up for tomorrow's cold temps.

#178 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Back to work now but just spent 3 days at Killington VT.......it's packed powder frozen granular but decent coverage and 2 bluebird days.:jamguy:

#179 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

24" inches last 5 days in Taos Ski Valley and Sandia Peak got another foot last night. In case you're wondering where the snow is this winter, it's in New Mexico.

Rode Taos Mon/Tues. I have a new favorite mountain. :jamguy:

#180 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

Ride the hell out of that for us, ok? WE NEED SNOW!

#181 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

9 year old girl skis better than all of us..............

http://espn.go.com/a...tory?id=6016379

#182 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

Wow....that's crazy!! That girl has some serious potential :clapping: Between that and the 10 year old racer who blew past me last weekend, I'm feeling quite humbled :plain:

#183 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Heading up to Taos tonight and Red River Ski Area tomorrow. Hoping to redeem my aborted Telluride weekend March 10-12 (kid got strep last time)

:jump:

#184 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

The news said the Colorado Rockies got absoulutely nailed...3>4 feet in a few days. Steamboat recieved like 28" in a single day. It took long enough!:lol:

#185 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

Sugarbush was fantastic today! They got a bunch of snow overnight and it kept coming down hard all day :jamguy: We were going to hit up Stowe tomorrow, but just realized the pass we have there isn't good because it's still the holiday. I'm starting to think Jay Peak may need to happen instead.....

Posted Image

#186 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

We went to Jay today. Another powder day, except this one was bluebird and they had anywhere from 2 to 4 feet of new snow, depending on where you were on the mountain. Perfect conditions for exploring the glades. This was the weekend we've been waiting for :Phishfolk: Some of the best skiing I've had in a long time :clapping:

Posted Image

#187 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Jealous. I tried for Bolton on Saturday morning for Maya's ski lesson. The winds were so fierce they had everything shut down. Luckily they were at the bottom of the mt. telling everyone so you didn't have to get all the way to the top.

My husband had an amazing back country day on Saturday- knee to waist length at points!

#188 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

so freaking jealous

damn life responsibilities

#189 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Glad you are finally seeing some good snow Sara!! I went to Red River yesterday.. nothing to brag about, conditions nor mountain. Still fun, but nothing like the Taos powderday I got 2 weeks ago. So epic

#190 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Damn!!!

I wish i could have caught this storm!!
Oh well hopefully there will be some of it left all groomed up when i get there this week.

Hey......Thursday....Ryan Montbleau at the Pickle Barrel at Killington.:pimp:

#191 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

How much snow did Killington get? Gotta love the super soft groomed snow :jamguy:

Keep thinking snow! There's talk of more possibly coming through Wed-Thurs and I'm off from work this week :smile: I'm planning on getting out for a few days anyway, but it would be even better if there was more new snow to play in :rose:

#192 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Gotta love the super soft groomed snow :jamguy:

woah, woah, woah

take it easy with the G word:undecided:

#193 Jerky

Jerky
  • VibeTribe
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

Skiing killington wed-fri!!!!!! RMB Playing thursday nite!!!! looks like freshies for thursday!!!!

#194 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

Last i heard killington got 22 inches total over 3 days.

See you up ther early thursday jerky......should be on the mnt by 9ish.

Then Ryan thursday night.
Where are you staying?

Dont forget to hit the Phat Italian for good subs and the beer cave also Moguls for great beers and BBQ ribs.:wink:

#195 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

woah, woah, woah

take it easy with the G word:undecided:

:funny1: Not all of us like skiing bumps all day long :wink: I have to say that I'm starting to get the hang of this bump thing, though, but they gotta be nice and soft.

And as for the G word.....are you saying you hate taking nice, fast, big turns down a nicely G'd slope? :dunno:

Enjoy Killington later this week! It's looking like Thursday does have some potential to be a good one :jamguy:

#196 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

And as for the G word.....are you saying you hate taking nice, fast, big turns down a nicely G'd slope? :dunno:

not at all. I like skiing, not matter the conditions......always. If a groomed trail is in front of me, I'll enjoy it for what it is. That type of skiing is pretty much all I do these days living and skiing in snowless southern NH and having minimal life flexibility to get to the goods up North with any frequency. I will ski for 3 hours tomorrow at Gunstock and it will all be nice, fast, big turns down a nicely G'd slope. And I'll have a blast doing it. ;)

However, if I lived in a place where it snowed frequently (no where in the east this winter), I wouldn't ski groomed trails more than 5% of the time. Pretty much view groomers as a way to get to the ungroomed terrain.

glad to hear you're getting the hang of the bump thing though. you will be assimilated. :funny1:

#197 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Would be skiing Santa Fe today but spring winds seem to have arrived bringing 30mph winds with up to 50mph gusts. Well do hot springs today instead and ride tomorrow. Winds will be gone, no fresh snow but it will be another beautiful bluebird day in the southern Rockies

#198 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

I won 2 free passes to Stowe- hopefully they show up at my door soon so I can get out on Thursday. Got moe. at Higher Ground Thursday night also so that would start off my mini "snoe.down" just right.

#199 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

not at all. I like skiing, not matter the conditions......always. If a groomed trail is in front of me, I'll enjoy it for what it is. That type of skiing is pretty much all I do these days living and skiing in snowless southern NH and having minimal life flexibility to get to the goods up North with any frequency. I will ski for 3 hours tomorrow at Gunstock and it will all be nice, fast, big turns down a nicely G'd slope. And I'll have a blast doing it. ;)

However, if I lived in a place where it snowed frequently (no where in the east this winter), I wouldn't ski groomed trails more than 5% of the time. Pretty much view groomers as a way to get to the ungroomed terrain.

glad to hear you're getting the hang of the bump thing though. you will be assimilated. :funny1:

I think we just came up with another word to add to the ski slang books....g'd. "Enjoy it for what it is" has defnitely been the motto of this season. It's always nice to get out, no matter what the conditions. Things have actually been surprisingly good considering the lack of snow. The g'ing at Sugarbush has been fantastic and the trails have been in pretty decent shape. Good for those big, fast turns :wink:

We'll see how assimilated I'll be.....I like my knees the way they are now :rose:

A winter storm watch has now been issued for a good chunk of VT. Let's hope it brings the goods!

#200 Jerky

Jerky
  • VibeTribe
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:36 AM

Wiffletree