Its Almost Ski Season!

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#51 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:37 AM

There is snow in the Tug Hill area (something like 21"). Might head there to XC ski.

I was able to XC on my land this past week. Barely covered, but it was real nice

How much might it cost if I want to invest in a pair of xcountry skis/boots/poles? Just curious, I see lots of sets on craigslist but don't know what's good or what to pay for it. Any advice?

#52 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:52 AM

Wheels is this you buddy??

Sara.. yeah that does sound like a good deal! So life is good in /btown? We should catch up soon

Smugglers Notch back country secret stash!:clapping: It's this hike off of the Sterling chair, up the knob beyond that pond...don't tell anyone though!:lol: If northern Vermont gets snow, I highly suggest it!:v:

Posted Image

#53 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

How much might it cost if I want to invest in a pair of xcountry skis/boots/poles? Just curious, I see lots of sets on craigslist but don't know what's good or what to pay for it. Any advice?

oh geez, I dunno $50-$200 used?

#54 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,434 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

landed and indoor job at bromley mountain this winter so i'll be heading up after christmas. only 4 trails open currently. very poor start. i'm hoping for that to change by new years when i'll get out on the snowboard. :mrgreen:

#55 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

I just bought a new pair of goggles and the boards are being tuned for the season.:pimp:

Now where is the Fugg'n snow!!!:huh:

#56 melissa.phish

melissa.phish
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

Have a three day trip to Sunday River planned - excited!!!

#57 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

Smugglers Notch back country secret stash!:clapping: It's this hike off of the Sterling chair, up the knob beyond that pond...don't tell anyone though!:lol: If northern Vermont gets snow, I highly suggest it!:v:

Posted Image

Thanks Wheels! I haven't really done much backcountry, but I'm hoping to take a backcountry lesson at Sugarbush sometime this winter to give me the confidence to get off the trails a bit :dance:

#58 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

there was some serious looking hike to terrain off the lifts of taos. i'll have to get back to you if i get up there. I think STEEP is easier for skiiers than boarders

#59 reveur

reveur
  • VibeTribe
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

I certainly wouldn't complain if I was behind Grace Potter wearing 80s stretch pants in the lift line. :cool:

you should send her your one-piece jumpsuit :Phishfolk:

#60 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

Here's Taos this morning

Posted Image

15 inches in the last 5 hours :eek:

Posted Image

not sure if this one is current or just a promo pic

#61 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

Damn!!!

Killington was just white compressed ice with snow guns running.:cry1:

#62 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Heady....think you can send some of that nice southwestern snow up this way? It would be really great if you can do that. Thanks buddy! :jump:

#63 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

Yes Heady, please do what you can to ship some of that fluff this way.:sad:

Also, go rip up some of that Pow for us man!!:pimp:

#64 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Riding Purgatory this Sunday. I'll say a prayer up top and blow some snow in your direction :mrgreen:

#65 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

Please do!!!!

#66 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

How was the riding yesterday? We went down to Sugarbush yesterday morning and it was better than last week, but still somewhat crappy. My new skis make ice their bitch though, so that made the morning way more fun :jamguy:

#67 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

Riding was good. It's going to be even better tomorrow at Santa Fe. Picking up my pass in the morning, and riding around 11 am. Should be a powder day. They're calling for up to 14" in the mtns above santa fe by tonight. should I be keeping this to myself? This is a golden year for NM

btw I did say a little snow prayer for you and blew some pow towards the N.E. I'll do it again tomorrow. My third day of the season, after NO days last year!! :mrgreen:

#68 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

You gotta get there earlier if it's going to be a powder day!! Enjoy the hell out of that for all of us snow-less northeastern'ers. Looks like you picked a great season to get back in the game :jamguy:

Thank you for your snow prayers and keep 'em coming! There's talk of a storm coming through on Saturday. Let's hope it happens! :ura1:

#69 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

really, even on a tuesday? I'm not trying to get first chair or anything. snow continues thru tonight, into tomorrow morning. I still have to pick up my pass from the guy, and I have a conference call at 10 am or else I'd be up earlier.

You know what else is crazy is I think I might have a badly bruised or fractured rib, riding yesterday hurt like hell and it's hard to get a full breath. It's getting a little better, it's been about 4-5 days

#70 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

I don't know anything about where you're going, but in general, people tend to be "sick" on powder days :wink: It's still going to be a fantastic day though even if you don't get super fresh tracks. I'm guessing you get that nice, light, fluffy snow in your part of the world?

I hope your rib feels better! Just ride through the pain :Phishfolk:

#71 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

Even days after the last storm in Durango, Purgatory was still nice and fluffy snow. They are opening stuff left and right out here, most mtns are 90% open already. So you can find out what's recently been opened and get fresh tracks.

Yeah, I rode through it ysterday.. can ride, but somehow it's harder getting a good nights rest than it is carving turns. Hurts to be on my side.

Santa Fe webcam http://streaming.bro...om/santafe.html :mrgreen: i'm watching the lift line, or the lift rather and no line

#72 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

Dang we need some of the white stuff!! It's pretty depressing around here, and there's little chance of any snow this week.

I'm with you Sara- I finally got a pass, got my daughter enrolled in season long ski lessons, and there's no snow. Ugh. :undecided:

#73 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

BTW where does Kyle work? I'm wondering what kind of company has a holiday party like the one you're describing! :wink:

#74 The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

you should send her your one-piece jumpsuit :Phishfolk:

Posted Image

#75 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Wheels! I haven't really done much backcountry, but I'm hoping to take a backcountry lesson at Sugarbush sometime this winter to give me the confidence to get off the trails a bit :dance:

Sugarbush, Stowe, Smuggs, Jay Peak...all great backcountry destinations!:v: Now just pray for some winter snow dumps in northern Vermont. Lake Champlain can really be a snow maker.

#76 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:20 AM

Another 6-10 falling tomorrow night. We keep getting storm after storm. Didn't make it to Santa Fe the other day, but DEF will be on Friday now that I have my pass.

Deadshow Dan, you're probably gonna get lucky if you come out here this year, great conditions only getting better

#77 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

Heady

Lostchord and I were texting today commiserating the 50 degree temps and rain in the East.

I said, the only place in the country right now with decent snow is the southwest.

her response? the only one happy right now is Heady. jerk

:funny1:

get out there and post some pics up.

#78 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:23 AM

Deadshow Dan, you're probably gonna get lucky if you come out here this year

:devil:

#79 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

Fuck it...............Just bring on spring then.:sad:

#80 Strange Mark

Strange Mark
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

Have a three day trip to Sunday River planned - excited!!!

When? We need to get together after skiing here:

http://www.matterhornskibar.com/ :pimp:

#81 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

Heady

Lostchord and I were texting today commiserating the 50 degree temps and rain in the East.

I said, the only place in the country right now with decent snow is the southwest.

her response? the only one happy right now is Heady. jerk

get out there and post some pics up.

Seriously Heady...get your ass out there!!! We need to live vicarously through someone. Hell, I have the day off tomorrow but unless we get a decent amount of snow tonight (there's some in the forecast), I'm not even going to waste the gas to get there. Keeping fingers crossed this snow actually happens!

#82 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

just passing through the thread, I'm no skier and I hate the snow but I'll keep my fingers crossed for some intense snowfall here in the Northeast that is magically somehow confined to the ski areas and those snow lovers' immediate vicinities :funny1:

#83 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:49 AM

Got out today for 3 hours on Sandia Peak (Albuquerque local mtn). My pass works there, and Santa Fe. Snowed about half the time I was there, and no lift lines. Had to bail, to go to the dentist for my crown (appt 1 of 3) :lol:

Really really want to go up to Santa Fe tomorrow for freshies.. tempting, though I should probably see a Dr or rest (bruised ribs from fall last week).. it's not going to get better unless I rest, but the snow is falling!! They're calling for up to 8-12 inches tonight. CO got bombed last night too, not sure exactly where, but I had friends reporting 20" in their backyards

#84 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

They may not get any better.....but they're already bruised....how much worse can get really get? :wink: You have some of the only fresh snow in the country...don't miss another powder day!!! I love being a bad influence :devil:

#85 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:32 AM

Bruised ribs and fresh pow?:dunno:

Go skiing dude!!!
I would let you kick me square in the balls right now for a couple feet of snow here in the East!!!:boogie:

You have plenty of ribs.:devil:

Mmmmmm.................Ribs :drool:

#86 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:10 AM

going to sleep soon, so I can get a early early start tomorrow morning!! It's a 2 hour drive from abq to the santa fe ski area. It has always been a goal of mine in life to ride a "first chair" - not sure tomorrow will be it, but at some point this season, it will happen.

What time do you typically have to get in line for first chair?

#87 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:47 AM

8am weekends 9am weekdays at Killington.

I always got 1st chair new years day and usually 4 hours of skiing before all the weak drunks hit the mountain.

One year i threw up a whole bottle of Merlot 1st chair when they had a double chair going to the peak out of the K1 lodge.

Sure was gross to look at and ski over all day.:lol:

It looked like someone shot barney the dinosaur.
I was so hung over the bounce the chair took when the slack got pulled up made me blow. :lol:

Hit it for us Heady!!! :pimp:

#88 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:38 AM

RC: just drank a bottle of red. ain't skiing tomorrow.

1. deadheadskier

truthfully, I called off skiing tomorrow yesterday morning when I was standing on my porch in a t-shirt and 50 degree weather. today being equally as warm just confirmed it.

maybe Tuesday now

#89 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

http://www.onthesnow.../skireport.html

If you look at the stats, CO is only slightly ahead of VT. A lot of people hurting. You guys need to come to NM now :lol:

Wolf Creek still has the most snow of them all. If I was ever planning a vacation, that's where I'd go :thumbsup: Fuck vail.

#90 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

RC: just drank a bottle of red. ain't skiing tomorrow.

1. deadheadskier

truthfully, I called off skiing tomorrow yesterday morning when I was standing on my porch in a t-shirt and 50 degree weather. today being equally as warm just confirmed it.

maybe Tuesday now

I just called it off too. Sugarbush got a few inches of fresh snow but with all the rain the other day, basically just one trail open top to bottom, and a 5 hour drive later this afternoon, I didn't feel it was worth spending an extra 2 hours in the car this morning. I'm also now thinking Tuesday :rose: Hopefully Mt. Ellen will have more open so I can get away from the holiday crowds.

Have fun up there today Heady! Let us know how it went :Phishfolk:

#91 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Holy showza. 17" of fresh pow at Sandia in the last 24. We are tied with Wolf Creek!!! FREAKY. Going up now.

Look at the skicam, still dumping. http://sandiapeak.co...hp?page=ski-cam

#92 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

Crushed it this morning. Pics and video to follow. One of my best days on the hill ever. Short, only about 3 hours of riding, but primo riding the whole time.

#93 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:55 AM

Keep in mind, this is Sandia Ski Area, Albuquerque's local hill. 12/23/11 - drop everything it's a powder day

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#94 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

number one son will not be around for the holidays he is busy out west.

Posted Image

#95 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

awww.......thats worth the hike.:jamguy:

Thanks Heady!!!
Great shots!!!

Keep taking the pow turns for us......we got nothing here.

#96 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

Thanks so much for the photos folks! Keep em' coming!:v: The southern most Rocky mountains have been the best so far.

#97 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

number one son will not be around for the holidays he is busy out west.

Posted Image

Where is this photo taken?

#98 freerange

freerange
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

nuthin' but 1 week of bulletproof powder here yet

#99 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

nuthin' but 1 week of bulletproof powder here yet

Bulletproof powder...ain't that an oxymoron?:lol:

#100 freerange

freerange
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:37 AM

big time oxymoron...kind of an answer to the big eastern canadian resorts trying to sell their snow conditions a few years ago rather than the things they are actually good at.
only two diamonds open at tremblant. the gs cruisers seem to be up and running just don't fall.