Your Reader-Submitted Articles
Total search results: 1
This page: 1 - 1
Submit an article
Do a custom search
Canton
Massive 'Earthworks' To Honor Collinsville Artist
Familiar Faces
Submitted by The Collinsville Artists on 2009-03-16.

Garth Francis works on Roy Lichtenstein sculpture.
Garth Francis was a pivotal member of the arts community of Collinsville, who helped to initiate community-based events such as gallery openings, art walks, and installations. Garth was a facilitator of the legendary Collinsville Halloween Parade. Every year he contributed time, effort and energy to build massive props for this home-spun Halloween festival. Garth made a living overseeing maintenance projects for the Collins Axe Factory.

During his life, Garth worked extensively in the contemporary art world. In 1987, Garth worked in Florida as a welder, art assistant, and head for studio operations for the famous contemporary artist John Chamberlain. From 1988 to 1992, Garth traveled extensively with Chamberlain to assist with intricate installations worldwide. These events included gallery openings and museum shows in Holland, Germany and Spain. During these years, Garth forged friendships with leaders in the contemporary art scene such as Donald Judd, Robert Rauschenberg, Alexander Leiberman and Jim Rosenquist.

In 1992, Garth launched his own business, a major art restoration firm called ArtSmart, based in Miami, Florida. Through ArtSmart, Garth worked with clients including artists, private and corporate collections, as well as public institutions. Garth became a leading conservator of outdoor sculpture and statuary. Through ArtSmart, Garth worked with the famed Pop-Artist Roy Lichtenstein while restoring his statue, the Mermaid, in Miami Beach. Garth received accolades for his work restoring storm-damaged artwork after Hurricane Andrew.

On January 13, 2009, Garth Francis died suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack. He He was 53 years old. Garth's friends, a committed group of Collinsville artists, along with artists, friends and ArtSmart associates, have planned a gathering on Jetty Beach in Cape Canaveral, Florida, for three days in April to produce a massive "Earthwork" in Garth's honor. Participants will camp on the beach to produce a massive land sculpture of the historic Collins Axe Factory emblem, "The Crown & Hammer."

The Earth Art event will be led by artist Todd Brittingham. "For the last 20 years, I have been creating large-scale earthworks I call 'Sky Messages,' " explains Brittingham. "The sculptures are created on various beach sites using indigenous materials...sand, seaweed, shells, driftwood and beach debris. The sky messages are then photographed from a helicopter. The aerial documentation is used for display in galleries and museum installations. The earthworks range in size from 1 acre to 10 acres."

Brittingham, and other participants involved in planning the Earth Art event chose to produce the Crown & Hammer emblem, because it was an emblem that was important to Garth Francis. "Garth was passionate about the Collinsville Community, and about preserving the Collins Axe Factory," Brittingham said.

I am passionate about preserving my friend's life but Garth really would not want this and he was more pissed at the author of this than not. How does someone justify this "he was my best friend" bs when it's not the case???

I miss you my friend. :heart:Posted Image

#2 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:56 AM

:heart:

#3 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:34 AM

Thanks Missy.:heart: I stayed at a friend's house and she read the paper to me this morning. I really couldn't believe it until I saw it for myself. Unfuckingreal. Honestly, who does this????????

#4 Luna

Luna
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,773 posts
  • LocationDirty Jerze

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

#5 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,508 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:38 AM

I hear you. It's amazing, some of the bizarre shit that people can pull after people die. I try to let it all go. I have been lucky. Certain deaths, in the future, will not be as easy to let shit go, when people pull it.

#6 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:54 PM