Deer hunters

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#151 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

took this little dude (13) out for the opening day of youth turkey hunting and he bagged this 20# bird.  10.5" double beard, 1" spurs.  bigger bird than I've ever gotten.  Was pretty cool.  We were on top of a hill sitting next to each other against a real big tree so we were both camouflaged against our surroundings.  I set up 3 decoys about 20 yards in front of us.  The birds came out of roost a couple hundred yards below us but rounded the hill and came in behind us.  I could hear the tom strutting but couldn't figure out which direction because the tree was messing up the sound.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement and there were 2 hens coming into the decoys walking past us about 15 ft away.  Maybe a minute later 10 more hens and 2 toms came in on the same path.  Dude's gun was laying flat across his legs so positioning for a shot was going to be a MFer with that many eyes around.  Eventually he was able to get knees up and gun up on them for a shot.  ~35 yard shot.  

IMAG0282_zps34b4d348.jpg

#152 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,287 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Wow, nice!  :clapping:

#153 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

mmmm......tryptophane.....

#154 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

canned soup from the legs & wing meat.  breasts are in the freezer.

#155 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

I took the carcass out behind the house, put it in a tree and put a trail camera on it.  got these

PICT0012_zpsa5de4330.jpg

PICT0007_zpsf78c2888.jpg

PICT0022_zpsea1c2a46.jpg

PICT0019_zpsfa480a87.jpg

PICT0031_zpsf523e54d.jpg

#156 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,287 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

Cool

#157 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Nice bird! Not so nice coyotes! I hear them yapping every night when I get home from work. No turkey for me this spring. Only went out a few times and chatted 'em up a couple of times, but never saw anything. My brother-in-law got one, though. Lucky bastard. First time ever out for turkey and he bags one. We grilled it that night and it was fantastic.

Just cooked this on Wednesday, a rabbit I took in the backyard. Good eats.

rabbit11.jpg

#158 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

This Fall, I'll hunt an area limited to arrows, muzzleloaders, and slugs. I'll be using blackpowder for the first time.

#159 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

love my CVA Wolf muzzleloader.  If I wasn't in rifle country, I'd opt for it over a slug gun any day

what type of muzzleloader do you have Coulro?

#160 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

love my CVA Wolf muzzleloader.  If I wasn't in rifle country, I'd opt for it over a slug gun any day

what type of muzzleloader do you have Coulro?

Same as you, with a 4-9x40 scope. I like it. Hope I can make it hunt.

#161 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Muzzleloaders are indeed fun. 

My county just passed a resolution to allow rifle hunting for deer this fall. I don't have a rifle, but I'd almost rather get a new muzzleloader before I get a rifle. I might even go the traditional route. 

#162 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

Same as you, with a 4-9x40 scope. I like it. Hope I can make it hunt.

I use a Hornady SST 50 caliber sabot with 45 caliber 300 grain bullet and I am spot on shot after shot at 100 yards.  I can't recall off hand what type of powder pellet I use.  A buddy of mine has the same exact gun and has tried a plethora of different bullets and configurations and it will shoot consistent on a clean gun, but was inconsistent after the first shot.  Not sure if it was his gun or load choice or what but he finally gave up and bought a different gun.

Muzzleloaders are indeed fun. 

My county just passed a resolution to allow rifle hunting for deer this fall. I don't have a rifle, but I'd almost rather get a new muzzleloader before I get a rifle. I might even go the traditional route. 

I resisted using a rifle for many years on the thought that they were dangerous and unnecessary, until I used one probably 5 or 6 years after we could.  They can be lighter, are more precise and the velocity of the bullet alone can make up for an off-placed shot.  Not to mention you can minimize waste with a small entry/exit hole.  I was sold on them after taking my first deer with one.  I've used a .270, .308, 7mm magnum, and .243 and have settled on the .243 for a while I think.  Seems a nice, not too big/not too small round for whitetails.

#163 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

Bow season opens tomorrow here in NY's Southern Zone! Pretty excited since one of my main areas to hunt has corn planted in the field instead of beans.

At least the trail cam is providing some reason for optimism. First shot is from the field I just mentioned. It's just across the road from the house. Second shot is on a hill behind my house. I am fortunate to have neighbors who allow me to hunt their land. 

Good luck to all you hunters this season. Be safe.

Farm1.jpg

hill1.jpg

#164 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

Bow hunting and fall turkey this weekend. I'm sure my step pops is already in the woods this morning.

#165 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:26 AM

Any luck for anyone?

I didn't even bother going out the first week since it was so warm. Saw 5 or 6 this past Tuesday evening, but nothing came within range. On Wednesday morning, I passed on a pair of spikehorns that came within 15 yards. 

It was encouraging to see so much activity while still relatively warm. Hopefully that's a sign of abundance once the weather starts to cool.

#166 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Was out last weekend. Saw chipmunks and squarrels. Nothing more.

Too warm for deer, and I missed a brood of hens and poults by an afternoon based on photos froma  camera at a stand nearby. otherwise, i got nothing. Gonna try again next weekend and hope to put a fall gobbler in the freezer for thanksgiving.

#167 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

ducks this weekend.

there is a very nice 10 pt running around here.  unfortunately he's been hanging in a field in the afternoon that is in plain view from the road.  then he crosses that road at dusk towards my house.  hopefully he's not jacked from the road or hit by a car.

#168 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Words every hunting man loves to hear during the season: "Honey, are you OK with me taking the kids to go visit with .... We'll be gone most of the day."

Of course, dear! You go and enjoy the day. Take your time. :grin:

-----

Colder weather is finally here and the rut should be kicking in soon. Pressure is on, though. One friend has 2 deer and another has 3 already. 

Whatever happened to stylzing? I always enjoyed his takes on the season but he hasn't posted in a while. 

#169 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

11 ducks in 2 outings with 32 shots taken :lol:

those little bastards are hard to hit.

#170 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Never hunted duck, but would love to try it. 

The only fowl hunting I've done is turkey here and there with no luck (those early mornings are brutal), and pheasant. I love pheasant hunting and the meat is sooooo good!

#171 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Good luck to everyone going out tomorrow.

peak rut here started the beginning of this week.  Hopefully it will last a week more or so.

#172 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Yes, good luck! Better than I've had for bow season, anyway. Ugh. You know how you sometimes pass on a deer, thinking your chance will come later? I shot and missed on Thursday, but the worst of it was on Monday. Farmer across the road was cutting corn as I was in the woods, so I set up at the edge hoping something would be kicked up. I had a doe at 5 steps -- yes, steps -- but it was spooked at the last second and took off. My arrow would have gone straight through it, but I guess it wasn't to be. Man, you just don't get much closer than that. I should have taken that spike I passed on in the first week.

Was hoping for the trifecta this year -- bowhunting, shotgun, muzzleloader -- and I have 1 more try with the bow this evening. 

On the bright side, I shot a vintage M1 Garand the other day. That was pretty cool.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone. And be safe.

#173 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,587 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

At work we were just talking about how many Deer we have all seen out on our commutes to and from work.

Then I said, hunting season is soon and that will help thin out the deer population.

Have fun!

#174 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

This has got to be the windiest hunting season I've ever been a part of.

Then again, my buddy already has 4 deer. So, no excuses. 

#175 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Yeah, my pops put over 90 hours in the tree with his bow and only got to take one shot at a ten point. The pisser is, that it is a bit of a thicket area in that particular spot. So as he was sighting in, didn't see about an inch round sumack in the line of sight (he's also pushing 70), when he released, the arrow hit the sumack and shattered into 3 pieces. He likes those rage arrow heads, which that one apparently broke.

I got no turkey this season and wont be out to slug hunt deer until Thanksgiving weekend.

Good luck during the prime rut, gents.

#176 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

Sucks when you lose an arrow like that. Those broadheads aren't cheap. Those rage heads do some real damage, though. 

I just looked across the road and noticed the farmer spilled a big pile of corn in his lot in front of the barn. I guess I know where I'm setting up tomorrow morning! :tongue1:

#177 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

Sucks when you lose an arrow like that. Those broadheads aren't cheap. Those rage heads do some real damage, though. 

I just looked across the road and noticed the farmer spilled a big pile of corn in his lot in front of the barn. I guess I know where I'm setting up tomorrow morning! :tongue1:

Yeah, you have to hate it when that happens.:D

#178 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

Tabbooma likes to talk to the Deer :)

#179 Baidarka

Baidarka
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Damn. Started off pretty good this morning. Had a doe, followed about 5 minutes later by a buck, walk right under my stand. All before 6:30 ( 7 am sunrise). At about 7:15 had another buck about 60 yards out...I hit him...then spent the last four and a half hours trying to find him...I finally lost the track where the trail drops from a railroad line down into a swamp. That is the first time I ever lost a deer. I hope the volley of shots in the swamp 15 minutes after I hit him was somebody cleaning up my mistake. I ready would have been happy if I could have tracked him to a gut pile. MB is at a yoga retreat in Rochester, and gramma was watching the little one. I would have kept looking, but she was planning on me being home by noon. Grrr. I almost don't even want to go out tomorrow...

#180 Baidarka

Baidarka
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

I use a Hornady SST 50 caliber sabot with 45 caliber 300 grain bullet and I am spot on shot after shot at 100 yards.  I can't recall off hand what type of powder pellet I use.  A buddy of mine has the same exact gun and has tried a plethora of different bullets and configurations and it will shoot consistent on a clean gun, but was inconsistent after the first shot.  Not sure if it was his gun or load choice or what but he finally gave up and bought a different gun.
I was sold on them after taking my first deer with one.  I've used a .270, .308, 7mm magnum, and .243 and have settled on the .243 for a while I think.  Seems a nice, not too big/not too small round for whitetails.

I have used Hornady FPB, 300 g. I had no trouble the last two seasons dropping what I hit...almost where they stood. The only thing I can think of is both prior seasons I hunted with a dirty bore. This season, I did not sight in at all and fired that round with a clean, cold bore. Either that, or I and just a schmuck that rushed a shot...I suck.

My county is one of the few that still does not allow rifles. I really would like to pull my scoped .270 out of mothballs. I know that consistently hits where I point it.

#181 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,287 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

A pic taken by a friend of mine in VT today.  Wonder what he had in his pack?

1471237_10200904455398231_107227985_n.jp

#182 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Damn. Started off pretty good this morning. Had a doe, followed about 5 minutes later by a buck, walk right under my stand. All before 6:30 ( 7 am sunrise). At about 7:15 had another buck about 60 yards out...I hit him...then spent the last four and a half hours trying to find him...I finally lost the track where the trail drops from a railroad line down into a swamp. That is the first time I ever lost a deer. I hope the volley of shots in the swamp 15 minutes after I hit him was somebody cleaning up my mistake. I ready would have been happy if I could have tracked him to a gut pile. MB is at a yoga retreat in Rochester, and gramma was watching the little one. I would have kept looking, but she was planning on me being home by noon. Grrr. I almost don't even want to go out tomorrow...

that sucks.  unfortunately, it is part of it.  I've read many articles regarding a whitetails "will" to live and that they are believed to have the most will to live of any other animal.  This makes is especially difficult in even slightly misplaced shots.  I've seen deer go for over a day on a shot that hit vitals, just not enough I guess.  My first deer I ever shot was with a 12 ga at 50 yards.  When I gutted it, the heart came out in 2 pieces and that deer ran about 150 yds after it was hit.  It's just baffling what they can do.

A pic taken by a friend of mine in VT today.  Wonder what he had in his pack?

1471237_10200904455398231_107227985_n.jp

I had one of these walk right underneath my tree Saturday morning.  cool little animals

Nothing hanging for me.  Saw a lot of deer, tons of turkeys Saturday afternoon and Sunday.  Apparently I am hunting right next to a roost.  I had a group of 11 Toms walk under me yesterday afternoon and a group stay on the other side of me.  I could hear them flying up into roost as I was coming out of the tree.  I had a chance at a nice buck Saturday afternoon at about 50 yards.  He was one a dead run after a doe and I only had a small window to shoot through.  My fault though, I left my scope on 6 power and getting a good shot off on a running deer that close when the scope can practically see fleas on their hair wasn't happening.  I saw a buck from that same spot Sunday morning but he was in a bunch of beech brush so I couldn't get a shot.  I know it was a buck though as he was moving pretty fast, probably chasing a doe and grunting all the way through.  My guess is it was the same buck.  They're still in rut pretty heavy around here.

Tabbooma likes to talk to the Deer :)

:lol:  I talk to them too.  I'm betting we say different things though.  I say things like, "oooooh, you'd look good in my freezer"  :lol:

#183 Sensei Miller

Sensei Miller
  • VibeTribe
  • 805 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Deer Hunters:

"MAO!"

#184 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

At work we were just talking about how many Deer we have all seen out on our commutes to and from work.

Then I said, hunting season is soon and that will help thin out the deer population.

Have fun!

In the past 2 weeks, I have seen 3 dead deer that were hit by cars in the exact same spot on my street.

5 deer have hit me in the last 15 years and I get a bit freaked out driving down that stretch of road, so Happy Hunting!

#185 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

That sucks. Better luck next time. Interesting how hunting opportunities change when a little one is involved and you need child care, isn't it? I'm learning that this season as well.

Brother-in-law took a spike on opening morning. Normally we'd pass on those but the only herd management this farmer wants on his land is elimination of all. I was in my stand very early and had a buck and a few does walk right under me before shooting light. Saw nothing again until mid-morning but I was on the ground and they were on the move so I didn't get a good look.

Sunday and Monday were pretty much lost days with the high winds and last night produced nothing to see. Took a break this morning and heading out in a bit to hunt most of the day, so hopefully I'll come home with something. 

#186 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

took yesterday off and was in a tree stand from about 6am to 4pm.  It was cold.  Real cold.  Man that sucked and holy shit, the wind.

Passed on a crotch horn.  Lotsa doe.

Have seen quite a few very small bodied bucks this year.  I was talking to a friend last night whose in-laws own about 2200 acres nearby and they use a management system on their land.  He was saying that small bodies deer are indicative of an overpopulation of does.  Lots of bucks is nature's way of trying to balance that and the small bodies are due to the does not being bred in the first rut due to overpopulation.  Being bred in the second or third rut produces late offspring which are smaller now because they were born later.

makes sense.  pretty interesting stuff to me

#187 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:32 AM

That's pretty interesting. But as of this afternoon, there are 4 less doe in my neck of the woods. Crazy day. Brother-and-law and I took to the ground and walked a good part of late morning into early afternoon but saw nothing. I had to work tonight (Sunday) so we decided to head back toward the Jeep but take the scenic route through the woods.

Three minutes later, we see 3 does off to our right. We watched them into range and shot 2. We weren't sure of the 3rd, which trotted off, so the bro-in-law circles around a hill to see if there is a blood trail. I hear shots 2 minutes later and as it turns out, there was a 4th doe that never ran off. The 3rd one had died on the other side of the hill. 

So we each took 2 and I was late for work, but it was totally worth it. 

#188 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

Congrats!

pushed deer yesterday with 6 others.  3 doe and one buck were taken.

#189 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

I aint get shet. Saw one 6 point as we were coming off the mt side. We'd pushed all areas with no results. Stood near the ATV, chatting adn unloading the shotguns. Got on, drove 3 ATV lengths and a nice 6 point ran up the ridge side.

We tried to load up, but it was too late.

Looking forward to some spring turkey hunting.

Congrats to those who managed to harvest a deer or two.

#190 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

it's been a fairly difficult year due to a lot of wind constantly changing direction.

Crazy story.  1st drive yesterday and the 1st watcher shoots at a buck with a muzzleloader.  We investigate and find no hair, no blood, nothing.  Follow the track a ways to make sure and conclude that he missed.  Go a ways down the road and push a new piece we've just got permission on.  Shit tons of deer go everywhere and we get a doe.  Go back near where the 1st drive was and drive out a swamp and get 2 doe.  Leave them as it's not too far from one of their houses and it would be easier to get them with a 4-wheeler.  drive another piece below the last piece and get nothing but found a blood trail.  A couple of them track this blood trail for a while while we go back to one of their houses to get a 4-wheeler.  Dude is driving down to get the deer when he sees a large deer in the 4-wheeler trial.  Gets off, rests on the 4-wheeler and looks at the deer through his scope.  Couldn't see horns so he gets ready to stand up and the deer turns to reveal it's horns.  He shoots and drops the deer.  He brings the buck back, we hang it up and skin it while another persons goes back down after the 2 does.  While skinning it we find the entry hole and then what looks like and exit hole only to find a muzzleloader bullet dangling in the "exit hole".  This buck was about a 2 miles from where it was originally shot.  Muzzleloader hit high above the front shoulder but never came out, thus no blood.  Mystery solved and no wounded deer running around.

#191 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:05 AM

That sucks TASB. No more hunting this week? Or black powder? Not a good feeling to get skunked. Happened to me 2 years ago. Toughest thing I've ever done in my adult life was turning my back to the woods as light disappeared on the final day of the season and I had no deer. 

That is a crazy story, MeOmYo. Glad to hear no wounded are out there. 

I haven't gotten to the self-processing part of hunting yet but I figure once I get the bill for the 4 doe, I just might expedite that education! Still, you know it's been a good weekend of hunting when you have to hook up the trailer to the Jeep to haul the harvest. (I normally just use a hitch basket on the back of my Jeep).

Gonna take a break for the rest of this week now that the pressure's off. Black powder starts on Sunday. I plan to get out to the state forest surrounding Hemlock and Canadice lakes with the muzzleloader. That's 6,000 acres of free hunting, which does not suck. Does should be cycling again by then, but I'll still hunt food sources as the deer get ready for the brunt of winter.

#192 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

I haven't gotten to the self-processing part of hunting yet but I figure once I get the bill for the 4 doe, I just might expedite that education! Still, you know it's been a good weekend of hunting when you have to hook up the trailer to the Jeep to haul the harvest. (I normally just use a hitch basket on the back of my Jeep).

For me, it's more about the quality of the butchering than the cost.  Butchers, even those that bone the meat, don't clean the meat that well leaving tallow, tendons and fat which IMO tastes like shit and ruin whatever piece you're cooking.  A well trimmed piece of venison has a completely different taste than one that is not.  And non-boned butchering.  Well, IMO, that is a good way to waste a tasty animal.  with that said, I understand everyone likes it different.

3 for me this year.  1 cut up and 2 still hanging.  2 will be standard steaks, roasts, burger, stew meat, etc. and one will be all sausage (apple, garlic & cheddar and hot italian).  will head out for muzzleloader some but I don't really need another.  there are neighbors that haven't taken anything so maybe I'll try for one to give to someone.  We'll see.  home projects are stacking up so as much as I hate to see this season pass, It'll be nice to get back to those projects.  Catch up on them and I'll be ready to find some rabbit and grouse.

#193 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

That sucks TASB. No more hunting this week? Or black powder?

Yeah, thats it for me. it's a long drive and a time off from work to get up to the hunting grounds. My pops is black powder hunting, but I am not.

#194 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

Uncle Coulro -- any luck with your muzzleloader this season? 

I saw 3 doe last evening but they were on the run, so no shots. It was COLD out there; 12 degrees with heavy gusts of wind by the time I came in.

Got about 4-5 new inches of snow overnight so we have about 8 inches on the ground overall. Heading out in a few, so hopefully I can find some new tracks. At least it warmed a bit, up to 16 degrees.

#195 Baidarka

Baidarka
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

I took a 3 pointer the last day of regular season. It was a rough season for me. I hunted more than I ever had before, and more than I will again until I retire (the perks of being home on family leave.)

I hit a doe on the 22nd and lost her (I pushed her in a circle for 5 hours, when I decided to let her bed down and die-what I thought would have happened in the two hours after I hit her, she wandered out of the snow and onto a muddy trail, where I lost her. She died close though, JP's dogs documents her and deposited some of her in his mudroom.) Pissed with myself I resighted my Optima...I was hitting 6 inches low at 60 yards. I must have bumped my scope on something. After dialing it in again, I had a little more confidence, but after feeding coyotes twice this year I was hesitant to drop the hammer on this buck. I wanted protein in the freezer for little Mezzi, and the .50 cal found its mark. This poor old boy had it rough. In field dressing him I found a broadhead in his chest cavity all surrounded with scar tissue. He had a big lump on his left hind quarter. As I skinned him it was a big, gross abscess that glopped out about a cup-and-a-half of nasty beige puss. Yech!

I will lose a little meat on him, but he is still hanging in the garage and I am working on him a little at a time...family leave has ended and I leave for work around 6 am. By the time I get home, I am too beat to work on him. I pulled out the back straps and worked on a front quarter today.

#196 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

Yikes. Sounds like quite the process there. But at least you got some meat out of the fella and with injuries like you described, perhaps saved him from a slow death during the heart of winter. 

Final day of the season for us today in the Southern Zone. Farmer gave me the thumbs-up to hunt some of his other land usually reserved for the farmhands. But he said they haven't hunted much in the last week or 2, especially with all this snow and cold temps we've had. So with new land to hunt that's had very little pressure lately, I'm optimistic about adding more meat to the freezer.

#197 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Took another doe down in deleware county on Sunday. Was invited down there to do some drives but we only hunted until noon. About 12 inches of snow with ice on top. Fucking brutal. I took today off to hunt with some others but nobody really wants to go out and walk through this. Ok with me.

No horns for me this year. I put my time in and saw some smaller bucks early on, held off for something bigger but it never came. That's why its called hunting and not killing I guess.

#198 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

No horns here either, but I'm OK with it. Freezer's full of meat and that's what it's all about. 

Nearly added another on Tuesday, final day. Bro-in-law and I went on that farmer's land brand new to to us and we walked in. About 15 minutes in, we stopped near a pine tree grove and a big ravine to figure our next move. Turned in time to see a group of does bedding down about 20 yards away in the pines. Never saw, smelled or heard us ..... bro-in-law lines up first shot and his muzzleloader misfired. By the time I got into position, the does were gone. 

Frustrating to be that close and come away empty, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Hope to do some pheasant hunting after the new year and also some rabbits. Glad to see some of us got some deer and that it was a safe season.