Deer hunters

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#101 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:26 AM

B - it is a nice feeling to know you can get your sleep back, eh? Sounds like you had a good season, though.

Today (Tuesday) is the final day of muzzleloader and it's my final chance to get a deer. Been out a few times in the last week or so but am just not seeing anything. Heading down to Dansville in the morning to hunt with some friends. Fingers are crossed some luck will come my way. But I am prepared for the reality that I just may be skunked this season. If so, it won't be for a lack of trying.

#102 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

Saw this on FB, made me :lol:

Today's God Bless Murica bumper sticker:
"Hold my beer while I smoke this deer."

took today off, going to go walk around for a bit but it looks like it's going to be loud walking.

#103 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,905 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:12 AM

Posted Image

#104 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

#105 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,730 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

:lol:

#106 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

Camera man just kept on rollin... :lol:

#107 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

The Southern Zone in New York now has an Oct. 1 opener for the bow season for deer and bear with a youth gun hunt on Columbus Day weekend.

Almost 2 full weeks added to the season! Should be interesting, and fun.

DEC news release

#108 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

lots and lots of healthy deer out there. the very mild winter boosted poplulations by less coyote and feed pressure. I saw deer well into Feb. wearing antlers still.

#109 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

They're all over the place here, too. Saw a nice 8-pointer bounding away from my garage when I got home from work the other night.

Had a chance earlier this summer to fill some nuisance tags for a farmer but I don't want to leave anything abandoned. I'd feel bad about that.

#110 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

I would only go deer hunting if I could go with these guys

Posted Image

#111 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

doe, a deer, a fe male deer, fah, a long long way to run :grin: :lol:

#112 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

I would only go deer hunting if I could go with these guys

Better bring protection, if you know what I mean. And I think you do. :lol:

#113 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

doe permits went on sale on Monday in NY. I always have better luck going early

#114 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

http://www.silive.co..._pose_grow.html
Deer by the hundreds pose growing problem on Staten Island

Published: Friday, July 20, 2012, 9:30 AM

our turkey problem was caused by someone letting a breading pair loose - as a good idea, ( it was not a good idea)
there is video of the deer swimming over from Jersey,
now it is not unusual to see one or more on the side of the highway, live or as road kill

#115 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

http://www.silive.co..._pose_grow.html
Deer by the hundreds pose growing problem on Staten Island

Published: Friday, July 20, 2012, 9:30 AM

our turkey problem was caused by someone letting a breading pair loose - as a good idea, ( it was not a good idea)
there is video of the deer swimming over from Jersey,
now it is not unusual to see one or more on the side of the highway, live or as road kill

that was a tough read. I don't know anything about SI but are there areas they could open up a bowhunting season?

Seems a fence along major roads would be the best option. Deer are only bad for insurance companies.

#116 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

any vacant land is petty much used as a park land, so unless they stop everyone else from using the areas i think the risk for accidental injury to anohter person is pretty steep.

we have about 500,000 people living on 60 sq miles of land.

i forget how long ago we first stated to hear reports of them, rumors first, then some photos, and now you see them on a regular basis - will get interesting over the next 10 years or so.

not sure if they could ever round them all up and ship them upstate - only need to miss one pair and it can repeat the whole thing - and you never know what will swim over from NJ next - moose would be interesting - hopefully not a pair of black bears.

#117 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

I see.

Personally, I don't think relocation is a good idea. There are healthy populations upstate, don't F with it.

I wouldn't think moose would last, they are voracious eaters, eating up to 40 lbs per day. It doesn't sound like there is that kind of food supply in such an urban area.

Bears, now bears would be interesting. :lol:

#118 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

it's only a matter of time

i wonder what else we could let loose and really screw things up.

#119 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Trail cam is turning in some promising situations. I also put down a bit of a food plot in one area. The deer move through, but I need to give them a reason to stop.

Posted Image

Posted Image

:tongue1:

Posted Image

#120 KindGeeGirl

KindGeeGirl
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Relocating deer on SI shouldn't be done. It could harm the population in upstate NY. Who knows what those deer are eating. They are living on land made of garbage. They should trap them and eat them if anything. I wonder if anyone has opened one up and tested the stomach contents and blood toxins. A hunting season would be hysterical :lol: And I have faith they would never open one up.

As our lands continue to bounce back from the all out reaping of the european settlers, more and more wildlife will be migrating. It is a good thing.

Every ecosystem need a top predator. That is why the mountain lives in fear of the deer. And over population of deer can kill a mountain. That is Aldo Leopold teaching.

#121 Baidarka

Baidarka
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Someone stole my tree stand! WTF? It was along the property line, not more than 100 yard from the manure pile where people are every day. Ther rest of the stands on the property seem to be there.

JP has not seen the neighboring property owner to ask him if he knows anything.

Well, time to check Dick's or BassPro and see what deals they have.

#122 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

That sucks, Baidarka. At least you discovered it was gone with enough time left to get a new one before the season starts. Hope you found one to your liking.

Gotta say, this Oct. 1 start is pretty weird. It doesn't get dark until after 7, it's still pretty warm and green leaves on the trees really cut down on the shooting lanes for the bow.

I went out on Oct. 1 and by 6 p.m. I saw 10 deer in the meadow in front of me, but nothing came closer than 40 yards. Saw nothing at a different stand on Tuesday but this morning, I saw 4 from the same stand. I had a fawn at 30 yards I could have dropped, but I passed. I promised the boy 3 years ago I'd never shoot a baby deer. So I kept my promise.

#123 beerzrkr

beerzrkr
  • VibeTribe
  • 716 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:04 AM

1 doe earlier this year. Seen a bunch since but nothing I could take a shot on with my bow.

Ha! 2 years in a row. lol

Saw a monster buck last week but he walked in and right back out of the same shot window. I couldn't move.

#124 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

We just had a Dick's open locally and they had a coupon for Oct. 14-21, spend $300+ and get $100 off. Not sure if this was only a local thing but that's a pretty good deal if you're looking for a tree stand.

I've already had 2 different trucks shoot from their vehicles in the middle of the night within 1/4 mile of my house. Pretty sure I know who one of them is.

#125 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Poachers suck.

Harvested this 9-pointer on Wednesday evening with a bow. Went through both lungs. Estimating the body weight at around 200 pounds. He was a freakin' bruiser.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#126 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Nice!

was he chasing doe?

#127 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

It's still a little early for the rut here, but there was a doe with him. Just minutes before I saw this fella, a smaller 4-pointer came through the same line on a good run so I'm guessing he was chased outta there by this dominant buck. So then again, maybe the rut is starting to kick in a little early. It's still so warm, though. It was 70 degrees when I climbed into the stand on Wednesday.

Picked up the venison today. Wow. The processor said it was "the deer that never quit." Said he hadn't cut up a deer this big in years. I am blessed.

#128 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Here too. I've seen bucks hangin with doe and even sniffin the vajayjay, but no interest from either side.

Gonna pull out a bunch of steaks from last year this weekend or next and start making jerky to use it up.

Congrats! Ever process a deer yourself?

#129 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Dear deer hunters;

This year you will be Skunked! :lol:

Best wishes,

- Slarti :heart: :grin:

#130 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,175 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Nice one Shake Your Bones!

#131 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

you know it :lol:

Posted Image

#132 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

that pic that the 'bones posted is from last year for sure :lol:

#133 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

Silly Slarti. Last year was the year I was skunked. But this year, no skunks. :lol: No more squirrels, either, since I got that .22 back in the spring. :grin:

Thanks, TEO! :grin:

MeOmYo: I have not processed a deer myself but will learn to eventually. I've got the space to do it now that I'm back in the country. It's just a matter of time, or lack of it, with all the house projects yet to do.

#134 Baidarka

Baidarka
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Nice SYB, that thing is a beast.

I processed my first last year. Had a bit of help, but I still ended up with a cooler full of unidentifiable protein in zip lock bags. I tried sorting it all out before freezing it one day when MB wasn't home. It was not pretty.

I will do it all again this year if I score again. This time, hopefully, it won't be 50 degrees out and I can take my time.

Eat well.

#135 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

i know this applies to no one in this thread, and that those to whom it applies will never likely see it...but please don't just leave butchered carcases besides regularly used paths where people walk with their dogs. it takes a lot of green apple shampoo to beat back the eau de dead shit from your dog's coat, after he's had a good roll.

syb...looks like you're stocked up for some good eating for a while! :)

#136 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

#137 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

Thanks, cur. I am! It sucks that people do what you mentioned. I haven't seen any carcasses lately, but it's not uncommon to have people dump on the side of the road near where I live. It sucks when people do that.

Classic, Joker. That's funny stuff. :lol:

Anyone been out lately? Between 85-degree days and constant rain on the others, I've only been out 1 or 2 times. Kinda frustrated, but at least the forecast looks good. We need a few of those 20-degree nights to get 'em moving especially if the rut is kicking in.

Any of you have advice on cleaning a skull cap? I've never done it but I've got that rack to get mounted and I've read of a few different ways to get it done. Just wondering what you guys might suggest.

#138 Baidarka

Baidarka
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

JP sent me this image the other day...the picture sucks, but look carefully in the center...he appears to be quite a big boy.

Posted Image

Sherm, the old neighbor says there are three monsters roaming the property. Doc had one walk within 15 feet the other day and couldn't draw.

There is one three-legged buck (sporting a healthy rack and some serious weight) that Sherm did not see last year, but he is back this year...A week and a half...I'm getting anxious.

#139 Baidarka

Baidarka
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

8 doe took off over a hill about 100 yards from me as I sat in my stand this morning. Four more, so small the should have still had spots, wandered around beneath my stand for about five minutes before moving on in no particular hurry.

End of the season, maybe. But I!m not taking down Bambi on opening day

#140 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

Missed a nice 8 yesterday after walking about a mile in and up a big bank. I was exhausted and when I crested the bank there was a 4 pt about 60 yds with a doe. He was looking for something behind him so I waited a few minutes and saw the 8 with 2 doe coming toeards me. I was in the open, no cover, no rest. Shot through a small hole in the trees and took a tuft of hair off his back. No skin, no bloid. Had a red fox walk past me about 15 ft away at dusk last night too. This morning about 9:30 I stood up to get the blood flowing a bit, turned around and there were 5 grouse walking towards me. I got behind the tree I was sitting against and sat down without them noticing in the hopes they would walk by. A few seconds later a 6 pt comes out across the ravine and just walked the bank. Gun was to my left. I couldn't move, nothing I could do except smile and take it in.

Saw a bunch of doe, past 2 spikes. Lots of deer out there and its still early.

#141 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Passed on a spike and a couple of smaller 4s later in bow season.

They're all over the place down here. Pretty active on opening day of gun season. TONS of shots. I didn't take anything, but the bro-in-law harvested a button buck and a doe on Monday morning. He shot the buck and the doe froze, so he shot again. Three different processors said they were full and wouldn't be taking any deer until the end of this week. He finally found one. All the more reason for us to invest in the gear to process our own. Hopefully next year.

Took a break for a few days but I'll be back out Thanksgiving morning to uphold tradition.

#142 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,175 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Damn MeOmYo! Gotta chuckle at that luck. :funny1:

#143 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

All the more reason for us to invest in the gear to process our own. Hopefully next year.

Only gear needed is a decent knife. I use a filet knife. Bone them out and trim, trim, trim. IMO, the marrow in the bone is nasty so they're better boned out anyway. Wrap in freezer paper if you don't have a vacuum sealer.

#144 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

oh, and a meat grinder if you want burger or sausage but that's not necessary as you can take trimmed meat to someone to have that done.

#145 Baidarka

Baidarka
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Took a nice doe this morning. The two that were with her hung around long enough to reload my muzzleloader. They were still strolling around about 50 yards away, by their deceased companion. I didn't have the heart to take a second one and let one lonesome little girls wander the woods alone.

Doc and I hung and quartered it. Grabbed the backstraps and inner loins and chucked it all In a big cooler. It is almost 50 degrees today, hanging it very long was out of the question.

#146 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Damn, MeOmYo .... sounds like one of my typical hunts! Hopefully the luck changes for you soon.

Very nice, Baidarka. I'm with you on the passing of the second one. It's one of the reasons I didn't go out with a nuisance tag earlier this summer with a friend. The thought of taking a mama and leaving 2 young ones abandoned doesn't sit well with me.

I def. plan to invest in some gear for processing outside of the knife. A grinder is priority No. 1 along with an attachment for sausage and snack sticks.

Weather appears to be cooling off this weekend so hopefully that'll get them moving again. The gunshots from opening weekend have settled down so hopefully that'll help too. I have 5 more tags to fill. We had a very delicious venison roast instead of turkey today. It's quite a feeling to feed your family with meat you've harvested. And an even better feeling when you look around the table and see empty plates.

Any of you keep a journal? I'm trying real hard this season to track movement with lunar cycles to see if there's anything to that. Ask 15 different hunters about that and you'll get 15 different opinions!

#147 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

well, regular season is over. 9 days of muzzleloader but I'll only be able to hunt this coming weekend.

I ended up taking a 4 pointer and a doe this past weekend. Despite being sick, I hunted pretty hard trying to find a little bigger buck. I know there were at least 6 - 8 pointers, a 9 pointer and a real nice wide 5 pointer right around the house at the beginning of the season. Either they were taken, moved on or do like most smart bucks do later in the season, go nocturnal and find the thickest, shittiest cover they can and lay all day.

A good friend I hunted with yesterday took a doe. He already has 2 in the freezer so we're going to split it and grind it all into a few different kinds of sausage (inner loins and backstraps excluded).

Was an odd year. I chose to use a .243 this year which is the first year I've used that small of a caliber. Typically I use a .308 or a .270. Although the two I took were good vital shots, I was a little offput by the lack of blood from the smaller caliber. It seems shot placement is that much more important as there is literally no blood trail and a slightly off placed shot could lead to a very extensive search. The lack of snow only compounds that difficulty. Also, there are still a bunch of scrapes and rubs everywhere I've hunted. Typically they would be into or almost into a second rut but I'm not sure they've finished their first yet as it doesn't seem there was the typical couple week break in between.

So, that'll do me pretty good for the year. If I take another one during muzzleloader, I'll be able to give a good bit of it away to some that can't make it out in the woods anymore.

SYB - I've never kept a journal or paid attention to lunar cycles. I do however pay attention to the weather. If weather is moving in, the deer always seem to be out feeding prior to the weather arriving. I've found this doesn't apply so much with rain as it seems rain doesn't really affect their habits much at all.

Also, when looking into a grinder, the only advice I have is get one with a standard sized head so you can buy different attachments, blades and plates in the future. Also, get one with metal gears.

#148 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Not deer hunting but went rabbit hunting yesterday and took 5 rabbits and 2 grouse.  was a beautiful day in the woods.

rabbit for dinner tonight :dance:

#149 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on the grinder stuff. Haven't purchased one yet, but the wife also wants to get a stainless steel table that can be cleaned and bleached. She's kinda persistent about germs and stuff, so I won't argue the point.  I passed on a couple of does during muzzleloader season because a buddy of mine was with me and he ended up skunked for the season. I was hoping he'd get 1 of those doe, but it wasn't to be.

Jury's still out on lunar cycles. I'm finding it all depends on who you ask but I agree with you about the weather and fronts moving in. From what I've heard, they can sense the drop in barometric pressure and know it's time to stock up on energy.

Nice work with the rabbits! I plan to get out here sometime soon for the same, along with some pheasant hunting. Of all the game I've harvested, I think pheasant is my favorite. Such good meat. What gun do you use for rabbits? I'd like to use my .22 but it's a single shot, so I better be on my game. My .20 gauge would probably be the smarter gun to use, but the challenge of the .22 is appealing.

#150 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I use a 12 ga. or 20 ga, #8 shot with at least a modified choke. Can't shoot at them too close or there will be nothing edible left. You going to hunt with a dog? A 22 would be tough with a dog as they are usually on the run. 20 ga is perfect for rabbit.