• VibeTribe
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:19 AM

http://blogs.wsj.com...ayor-bloomberg/

OCTOBER 12, 2011, 8:21 PM ET
Zuccotti Park Gets a Visit From the Mayor

By Erica Orden

Two days after saying that the Occupy Wall Street protesters are welcome to stay, Mayor Michael Bloomberg made a surprise visit Wednesday to the Lower Manhattan park that has for weeks served as the demonstration

#2 robberry

robberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:24 AM

http://nymag.com/dai...nally_paid.html

I guess this might put an end to the "the management company is letting us stay here talk."

#3 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

Raiding Austin too.:sad:

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,443 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

I think the folks down there protesting should clean it up personally. I'd be pissed if a bunch of people decided to camp on my land and made a mess of it and I was forced to clean it up. That's just disrespectful. I'm sure the owner can apply for some federal government money to recuperate the loss.....:coffee:

#5 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

In Austin, was watching the live feed at work, the police were going through a tent and throwing out into the garbage a girls belongings. She spoke up but the police did not say a thing and continued to throw out her stuff. Only watched for 5 minutes or so.

#6 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

Funny they decide to "clean" NY and Austin at the same time.

#7 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,302 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

I'm sure the owner can apply for some federal government money to recuperate the loss.....:coffee:

Yep. It's called CARP.

Crazy Agitator Relief Program.

#8 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

I think the folks down there protesting should clean it up personally. I'd be pissed if a bunch of people decided to camp on my land and made a mess of it and I was forced to clean it up. That's just disrespectful. I'm sure the owner can apply for some federal government money to recuperate the loss.....:coffee:

they may be. It also could be that the city stopped picking up the garbage bags in an effort to play the unsanitary card.
I know that when we camp, we keep our site clean, and end up with a full garbage bag every couple of days. Without the ability to have those bags removed, they would certainly pile up after three weeks...

#9 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,972 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

I think they're just gonna clean it up...and they'll let em stay. Hasn't the owner been griping about this from the start?

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,443 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

Yep. It's called CARP.

Crazy Agitator Relief Program.

:lol:

#11 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

as a life long NYC're all i can say is that from what i've been seeing, at this point in time; this mayor is only concerned about his image. i do not think he would have even;gone down there if the plan was to force them out " for cleanning" and not let them return. If he felt it would help his image, he would not have a problem staying home and using the NYPD to shut it down.

Hopefully the message was heard by enough people so when the police do arrest anyone that stay behind, there is no confusion like last time. :cry1: they didn't force me out of the park so i shouldn''t have been arrested :cry1:.

if the city or owner stopped picking up the garbage, is that a reason enough to let the place get dirty ?
there are trash cans on almost every corner downtown, if it piles up, why not do something about it ?

i did hear they have asked that they do this themselves today, asking for donations of cleaning supplies, so the city won't have too. which is good news. It also sounds like this is a real problem and not just the owners way to move them.

why did they wait until it was a problem ?

#12 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,747 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

they may be. It also could be that the city stopped picking up the garbage bags in an effort to play the unsanitary card.
I know that when we camp, we keep our site clean, and end up with a full garbage bag every couple of days. Without the ability to have those bags removed, they would certainly pile up after three weeks...

It sounds like they failed to ask for trash pickup services in #needsoftheoccupiers. It wasn't until late last night that they started asking for brooms and cleaning supplies.

#13 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

"a development that may signal an attempt to evacuate the group is under way"

spin, paranoia or a little of both ?

#14 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

"a development that may signal an attempt to evacuate the group is under way"

spin, paranoia or a little of both ?

A little of both mixed with a lot of truth?

#15 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

why would Mike even show up if the plan was to move them out ?

why wait until now to start cleaning up ?

#16 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,302 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

There may be issues beyond cleaning that the protesters can't do themselves:

One safety issue, according to Clark, is that if the "underground lighting" has been "cracked, water could infiltrate the electrical system, putting occupants of the Park at risk of an electrical hazard."

http://www.capitalne...uccotti-park-fr

#17 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

"underground lighting" has been "cracked, water could infiltrate the electrical system, putting occupants of the Park at risk of an electrical hazard."

Clark also said a woman complained to the company that she had been "verbally abused in front of her 5-year-old child" and "that she had a package stolen from her as she tried to cross the Park."

no word on who cracked the lighting, might have been OWS sleeping on them, might have been cracked all along.

#18 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

"underground lighting" has been "cracked, water could infiltrate the electrical system, putting occupants of the Park at risk of an electrical hazard."

Clark also said a woman complained to the company that she had been "verbally abused in front of her 5-year-old child" and "that she had a package stolen from her as she tried to cross the Park."

no word on who cracked the lighting, might have been OWS sleeping on them, might have been cracked all along.

this also could be a clever ruse to start doing construction work in the park so the protesters can't camp there anymore

but who knows:dunno:

#19 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,443 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

Our park? Down with private ownership?

#20 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

this also could be a clever ruse to start doing construction work in the park so the protesters can't camp there anymore

but who knows:dunno:

the park is a mess, there were options for garbage disposal and clean up, but yeah it could be a ruse, or spin, or parinoia.

so far, all i've seen is spin and parinoia.

#21 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

Lauren DiGioia, 26, who has spent the past week at Zuccotti Park and is a member of Occupy Wall Street's sanitation committee, said she was concerned that violence could break out in New York if workers attempted to enter the camp.
"I'm worried there is going to be a riot," she said.

i bet some folks here would welcome more violence, like they wished for before.:sad:

#22 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

i bet some folks here would welcome more violence, like they wished for before.:sad:

who exactly wished for violence?

#23 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

Lauren DiGioia, 26, who has spent the past week at Zuccotti Park and is a member of Occupy Wall Street's sanitation committee, said she was concerned that violence could break out in New York if workers attempted to enter the camp.
"I'm worried there is going to be a riot," she said.

What violence would there be if the clean up workers showed up there to do their jobs?

This makes it sound like she's threatening them :sad:

#24 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

i'll go back and look, i think it was the day before the march to foley sq.

#25 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

this...police brutality will be far more difficult when uniformed millitary vets are standing between cops and protesters

in the same breath, i hope that if cops do fuck with the uniformed vets, or try to fuck with protesters anyway, that the vets don't spark violent clashes...if they're gonna be there, they need to also remain non-violent...an officer striking a vet without the vet striking back will only be worse for the reputation of the police force, but if it becomes a scuffle, there'll be a full speculation over 'who started it'

i guess you meant the police calling them names or making funny faces at the vets, but i could be wrong

#26 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,747 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

Posted Image

#27 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

Our park? Down with private ownership?

Its a zoning thing. NYC will often let developers build taller buildings if they put aside pieces of property for use to the public as a park area during the day.

#28 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

i guess you meant the police calling them names or making funny faces at the vets, but i could be wrong

the words non-violent are all over that post...there was an IF before what you bolded, followed by i HOPE it DOESN'T spark violence...what were you reading it as?:dunno:

#29 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

EMERGENCY CALL TO ACTION: Prevent the forcible closure of Occupy Wall Street!
Posted Oct. 13, 2011, 2:14 p.m. EST by OccupyWallSt

Tell Bloomberg: Don't Foreclose the Occupation.
Join us at 6AM FRIDAY for non-violent eviction defense.

Please take a minute to read this, and please take action and spread the word far and wide.

Occupy Wall Street is gaining momentum, with occupation actions now happening in cities across the world.

But last night Mayor Bloomberg and the NYPD notified Occupy Wall Street participants about plans to “clean the park”—the site of the Wall Street protests—tomorrow starting at 7am. "Cleaning" was used as a pretext to shut down “Bloombergville” a few months back, and to shut down peaceful occupations elsewhere.

Bloomberg says that the park will be open for public usage following the cleaning, but with a notable caveat: Occupy Wall Street participants must follow the “rules”. These rules include, "no tarps or sleeping bags" and "no lying down."

So, seems likely that this is their attempt to shut down #OWS for good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE TAKE ACTION:

1) Call 311 and tell Bloomberg to support our right to assemble and to not interfere with #OWS. If you are calling from outside NY use this number 212-NEW-YORK.

2) Come to #OWS on FRIDAY AT 6AM to defend the occupation from eviction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occupy Wall Street is committed to keeping the park clean and safe — we even have a Sanitation Working Group whose purpose this is. We are organizing major cleaning operations today and will do so regularly.

If Bloomberg truly cares about sanitation here he should support the installation of portopans and dumpsters. #OWS allies have been working to secure these things to support our efforts.

We know where the real dirt is: on Wall Street. Billionaire Bloomberg is beholden to bankers.

We won't allow Bloomberg and the NYPD to foreclose our occupation. This is an occupation, not a permitted picnic.

http://occupywallst....le-closure-occ/

#30 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,443 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

If Bloomberg truly cares about sanitation here he should support the installation of portopans and dumpsters. #OWS allies have been working to secure these things to support our efforts.

Edit: misread.

Shouldn't they work with the owners of the park and the city to have these things?
Has this been done and they are being blocked?

#31 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:39 PM

Mayor Bloomberg has announced that sometime Friday, as early as 6am, as late as Saturday morning, Mayor Bloomberg will begin forcibly removing protestors from the square for "Cleaning Operations".*
Upon "being allowed to return" protestors will have to stay in accordance with his new "Brookfield Rules" which include bringing no equipment into the park, no tents, no water proof tarps, and NO LYING DOWN AT ANY TIME.
WHY THIS MOVE BY Mayor Bloomberg WAS EXPECTED
Not only are these Rules untenable, but this is the exact same manner in which Bloombergville (a 2 week occupation at City Hall earlier this summer), was shut down, as well as the same way the M-15 encampments in Barcelona and Madrid were ended last Spring.
WHY THIS IS NOT REALLY ABOUT SANITATION
While OccupyWallStreet's sanitation teams have repeatedly welcomed help from the city for keeping the park clean, we have been repeatedly refused, with the city turning off power, and blocking all attempts for PortaPoties and Dumpsters near the Occupation Site, making us reliant on the help from local businesses. Even getting trash and recycling collected by the sanitation department has proven difficult. If Mayor Bloomberg was really interested in sanitation, he would have worked with us to achieve such goals on his behalf.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
As OF TODAY #OCCUPYWALLSTREET is beginning Operation Sanitation. Our internal sanitation teams are currently going into overdrive. Brooms, trash bags and powerwashers will be going for the next 24 hours.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP
WE NEED PEOPLE TO PROTECT THE SQUARE. WE ARE NOT LEAVING. Come to Liberty Plaza, wearing suits or well dressed, and bring cameras. If you are a member of the military, a veteran, a firefighter, ex-police officer, union member, or anyone who is, or sympathizes with, the 99%, this would be a great time to show of support! Don't let them shut us down. We need you there for AT LEAST 24 hours, starting tomorrow at 6am.
Call 311 (or 212-NEW-YORK if you're out of town) and tell Bloomberg to support our right to assemble and to not interfere with #OWS. It seems the Mayor has forgotten who he is supposed to represent. Remind him!
DON'T LET THEM FORECLOSE OUR HOME
NY POST Article
*These times were stated by the mayor, and are therefore not guaranteed.

#32 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

They are raiding Seattle right now. Arrested 6 people so far for "breaking park curfew" which the city says is 10pm.:rolleyes:

#33 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

"Cleaning" postponed by request of co. that owns park. :smile:

#34 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

It's 7am. NY is not at all quiet at that time.

#35 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

They are getting mainstream media attention this morning at least. Watching CNN. There going to a host a debate between a representative from 99% and one from the Tea party with in the hour.

#36 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,443 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

A debate between a tea party and 99%?

I only hope people realize what this means......they're co-opting this into a left/right argument.....I knew it would happen.

#37 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

Exactly what I just watched. Spin spin spin.:rolleyes:

#38 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,443 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

We knew it would happen...look how badly things went for the tea party when koch coopted. Obama is the dems only card in this game.

#39 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

A debate between a tea party and 99%?

I only hope people realize what this means......they're co-opting this into a left/right argument.....I knew it would happen.

let's not jump to this conclusion just yet.

who 'represented' the 99% in that debate?

#40 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,443 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

I dont know. But thats the point. A debate like this will deliberately attempt to pigeon hole the movement

#41 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,747 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

Screw that. I'm changing my voter registration.

Posted Image

#42 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:12 AM

let's not jump to this conclusion just yet.

who 'represented' the 99% in that debate?

Rick forgot last name w/ Family something or other PAC
Totally co-opted.:rolleyes: