• 19,454 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

She seems helpful...:rolleyes:

#4 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

i completely agree with their philosophy on living within their means and debt free, but i think they are making a very ignorant statement about the occupy wallstreet protest.

#5 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

http://www.gathering...ead.php?t=64183

:dunno:

#6 Arglebargle

Arglebargle
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

I don't buy it. Show me an apartment where one could live working 30 hours a week at about minimum wage. She probably has roommates and they all share the apartment.

#7 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

[quote name='Arglebargle']I don't buy it. Show me an apartment where one could live working 30 hours a week at about minimum wage. She probably has roommates and they all share the apartment.

I think this sums it up here: www.dailykos.com/story/2011/10/12/1025555/-Open-Letter-to-that-53-Guy

Hello,

I briefly visited the

#8 Arglebargle

Arglebargle
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

I guess I am part of the 53 percent as well. I live within my means and I only have a little debt, I work full time, pay taxes for the last 25 years. But I disagree with this suck it up attitude, because I want to see people prosper and not just barely eek an existence while working their lives away for a pittance, while the places they work for keep all that $$$$ and not give fair wages to the people who help generate the profits.

#9 Arglebargle

Arglebargle
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

i posted that in the form above with the same title

I did not see the other discussion. I'll delete mine since you reposted it here. I gotta admit, I'm just a little bit confused.

#10 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

Posted Image

By definition, whether this person likes it or not they are part of the 99%, it just refers to the amount of money people are making. And the fact is that government is run by and for the top 1%. The occupy Wall Street movement to me doesn't seem to be about complaining or asking for handouts. It is about restoring economic justice to America as a whole, trying to stop corporate America from overtly influencing our government the way it does and to restore an equal voice to everyone regardless of how much money they have. I'm really glad that this person has been able to get an education on their own, but a lot of the people in this country who are really hurting are not hurting because of any bad decisions they made. People are hurting because they lost jobs through no fault of their own and can't find work in this economy. People are hurting because the unemployment benefits that are their last resort to be able to survive are getting cut off. People are hurting because our government has been captured by people at the top and all the money is flowing to the top, more and more people are having to compete for less and less financial resources in order to obtain basic necessities of life.

Private corporations are hoarding trillions of dollars in cash waiting for the economy to pick up, trillions of dollars which had it never got into their coffers could be coming in through the bottom of the economy*. But vital programs and services are being cut in exchange for massive tax cuts and loopholes for private corporations.

It's not about personal responsibility versus irresponsibility, it's about the simple math that if most of the wealth of the country is concentrated at the top, the economy itself will fail to work in the long run.

*extreme oversimplification, but the money could be available in other ways to benefit more Americans than just the top 1%

#11 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

I guess I am part of the 53 percent as well. I live within my means and I only have a little debt, I work full time, pay taxes for the last 25 years. But I disagree with this suck it up attitude, because I want to see people prosper and not just barely eek an existence while working their lives away for a pittance, while the places they work for keep all that $$$$ and not give fair wages to the people who help generate the profits.

:clapping:

#12 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:06 AM

You too? Going on 4 years now with not even a cost of living raise but the company has been making record profits for the past 4 years.:rolleyes:

#13 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

http://i.imgur.com/yarZ7.jpg

:huh: