2-3 green onions
3 tbs butter
3 large cloves garlic
1 tbs fresh chopped thyme
2 cups grated gruyere or swiss cheese
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream

METHOD
Saute the onions in a large saute pan in 3 tbs of butter on medium high heat. Next, add 3 large minced cloves of garlic and 1 tbs of fresh chopped thyme and cook everything to soften.
That will cook down quite a bit and you'll want it to caramelize a bit while it's cooking and, once the onions are going along, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and then make the custard.
Use a large mixing bowl to combine 5 large eggs with 3 cups milk and 1 cup heavy cream, and then add the 6 cups of cubed bread and let that start absorbing the custard.
You also need to grate about 2 cups of gruyere or swiss cheese and chop 2-3 green onions for adding later on.
Once you are happy with the caramelized onions, add those to the bowl with the bread and custard, add the grated cheese and chopped green onions, add some black pepper to taste and fold those together. Add the mixture to a well buttered 9 x 13-inch baking dish and place that on the center rack of the preheated oven.
The bread pudding will take just about 35-40 minutes to bake. It will feel somewhat firm to the touch and a nice golden brown on top.

http://www.ny1.com/c...n-bread-pudding

#2 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,382 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

maybe they were alluding to the quantity of onions used (3 cups chopped roughly equals 3 onions?) and not the variety of onions used?

anyway sounds yummy. it sort of reminds me of this recipe i saw on tv last week, though that one used stock rather than eggs so it was more of a drier French onion soup than a bread pudding. thanks for the reminder! :)