Photo
- - - - -

some simple ovservations - how not to get arrested in NYC while peacefully protesting

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

i've heard/seen -i didn't know, i wasn't there, no one told me
the way i see it the leaders of this movement should have made everyone participating aware of these few simple rules.

Do not march in the street or roadway and keep moving.
Do not let anyone lead you onto one, friend or foe.
No more than 2 protesters wearing masks at a time (or somethig like that)

These are not new rules, and i'm fairly sure the inital organizers knew them, or learned them shortly after.

If anyone has any input for me on these questions, other that i don't know - please help me be better informed.

Didn't the March that lead the pepper spray incident clealry leave the sidewalk ? - from what i can tell the spray was not called for, and if criminal - jail the fm.

Don't the orgainizers and attenedess have some resposnability to ensure all participants know and folllow the rules, before they start ?

Why were there no arrests at the United Way march ?

If you have been to Wall St or Wall & Broad, did you notice the barriers only close of the streets, leaving the side walks open ?
Did you wonder why, ask questions ?

Were you curioius how the Pilots were allowed in the streets but not OWS and ask or try to find out why ?

#2 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

get a permit
don't refer to any officer as "man" or "bro" :funny1:

#3 Dee2.0

Dee2.0
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,492 posts
  • LocationOn the road

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

There are no leaders of the movement. The entire concept behind this is that everyone there is acting as an autonomous entity, and thus, nobody is in the position to obtain a permit for the whole. This is the same exact way that Rainbow Family functions. They have been told to get permits since their first Gathering in '72, and remain true to the idea that no individual can speak for the whole, and thus nobody can sign a permit. There have been federal rulings in their favor. http://en.wikipedia...._Rainbow_People

#4 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

get a permit

what good would that do? pay for a permit every day? permits set limits and are counter-productive

#5 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

what good would that do? pay for a permit every day? permits set limits and are counter-productive

just an idea to protect yourselves in the case of a specific march. for example, if a group of people wanted to march along a street or bridge for one afternoon the group could probably obtain a permit to do so.

#6 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

There are no leaders of the movement. The entire concept behind this is that everyone there is acting as an autonomous entity, and thus, nobody is in the position to obtain a permit for the whole. This is the same exact way that Rainbow Family functions. They have been told to get permits since their first Gathering in '72, and remain true to the idea that no individual can speak for the whole, and thus nobody can sign a permit. There have been federal rulings in their favor. http://en.wikipedia...._Rainbow_People

ok, no leaders, would the individuals be expected to know what they are doing and the risks they take ?

is this different than assemble and practice their religion ?

Sentelle also documents the complicated relationship between the Rainbows and Law Enforcement officers, who generally didn't interfere with the gathering, except in cases of blatant misbehavior (playing in traffic ?).

#7 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

next discussion

#8 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

so the non plan is to go beyond the set limits - ok, but wouldn't they expect some consequences then ?

#9 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

next discussion

my thread, :ura1:

you don't have to play if you don't want to.

or should they just nuke this one ?

#10 Dee2.0

Dee2.0
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,492 posts
  • LocationOn the road

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

ok, no leaders, would the individuals be expected to know what they are doing and the risks they take ?

is this different than assemble and practice their religion ?

Sentelle also documents the complicated relationship between the Rainbows and Law Enforcement officers, who generally didn't interfere with the gathering, except in cases of blatant misbehavior (playing in traffic ?).

Everyone there, as far as I know, knows the risk they are taking by being there. As far as I know there have been no complaints about protesters being arrested, but rather about the potentially non-kosher activities of the NYPD as to how they handled the entire situation, and about whether there could have been a better way to have done so.

There are documented situations where Law Enforcement not only interfered with gatherings, but overreacted in a similar manner as the NYPD did. There is video of an episode a few years ago where they had weapons out and were tear gassing people in the middle of kiddie village. Everyone around them reacted non-violently. If you would like to see it I can try to look it up when I get home from work and send it to you. Regardless, this isn't a discussion about Rainbow v. Law Enforcement. I was simply drawing a parallel to the permit situation, and why (regardless of any other reasons for not wanting to sign a permit) it is not a possible scenario within the context of a group of leaderless autonomous individuals gathered together in unity with one another. There are certainly many other parallels to be drawn, but the movements are far from synonymous.

#11 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

well hopefully lessons were learned and a peaceful resolution can be found.:heart:

#12 Dee2.0

Dee2.0
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,492 posts
  • LocationOn the road

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

They are growing and evolving with each day. I am sure that many lessons were learned from this past weekend.

#13 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

next discussion

This!