15 replies to this topic

#1 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

:undecided:

i am feeling a little sorry for myself right now. my teeth are in awful shape! it would seem that after about 10 years of near constant inflammation of my sinuses, my top teeth are dying one by one due to the irritation my sinuses cause. i had two root canals two years ago. since i couldn't afford to get them crowned, i knew they were on borrowed time.

last weekend, i broke one of them. thankfully no pain, but now i have no choice but to bite the credit bullet and get it crowned because it is visible when i smile and i don't want a gap. on top of that, i had another one that was starting to really bother me, so i had it pulled last tuesday, basically to avoid the torture and expense of a root canal and another crown. :gah:

so... i have been in pain for a week, eating advil like candy, and trying to keep my sinuses from swelling to decrease the pressure and pain from inside. i have to go back to the dentist tomorrow, to grind down the broken tooth and attach a temporary crown. then i get to go back the following tuesday to get the permanent crown put on.

i feel like shit that i am losing my teeth and will be a toothless old hag by the time i am 45 at this rate... but the worst is that i am pathologically afraid of the dentist and usually have to interrupt procedures to cry, regain my composure and then let him finish. i always have the nitr*us, because it does help, but i am so sensitive to it that one time my little crying jag was due to a bad trip in the chair. there is a very fine line between abject terror/relaxed enough to get through it/lost in nitr*us land. :rolleyes:

anyhoo... sucks to be me today, worrying about tomorrow morning. :undecided:

#2 LadyCrow

LadyCrow
  • VibeTribe
  • 86 posts
  • LocationThe cupboard under the stairs

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

{{{ cj }}}

I've been blessed w/crappy teeth, so I've gone through the joys of root canals, absessing & am facing crowns in the future. So, I know exactly how you feel.

{{{ cj & everyone else w/tooth problems }}}

#3 Elphaba

Elphaba
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:07 AM

{{{cj}}} one of my good friends has those issues also, though i'm not sure she knows of the association with sinus problems, which are horrible in her case also.

#4 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,619 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

i have good teeth with the exception of one big one right in front. i killed it in a tobogganing accident years ago and had the root canal which bought me time. now it's getting discolored again and my dentist tells me a crown is my only choice. but it's right in front and i don't know if i want a crown there.... what if it breaks, it'd be awful. i don't know what i'm going to do....

i'm sorry you're going through this, i didn't know sinuses could do that to teeth. :( i hope everything goes as well as possible :heart:

#5 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,981 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:00 AM

:heart: you're not alone. (not for the same reason, but my dentists and I see each other regularly. good thing I like them, and one of them was a college pal of mine.)

#6 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,416 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

)))))))dental issues((((((((((

I have had 7 root canals (all crowned except for one), I got a crown put on last night, and today the other side of my face is kililng me. I have been worried about this tooth for years, thinking it needs a root canal but my dentist keepts telling me no.

I don't get pain in my teeth until it's root canal time. My teeth also continue to decay around fillings so it's most likely that all the teeth that have been filled (twice now) will need to be root canaled at some point.
My insurance covers 60% of type C procedures, which usually ends up costing me around 800 between the root canal and the crown....fucking A!''I'm thinking about looking into that north eastern dental if I need another root canal. If they'll reduce the cost of the crown as well it might be worth it... I have antoher tooth that's been canaled, just needs the crown at this point

#7 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

thanks for the sympathy, everyone. i appreciate it. sounds like i am not alone in my misery -- i am sending all these vibes right back at everyone who needs them... :rose:

today was okay, i brought the ipod and listened to widespread panic, it helped a lot to just focus on the music. now i am waiting for the freezing to dissipate -- my left eyelid, sinus and nostril are frozen! i feel very lopsided. :huh:

#8 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

((((CJ)))) Mike spent yesterday morning at the dentist. He has a really badly abcessed tooth. He has to take 4 clyndamyacin a day for 10 days, then go back for a root canal, then 2 appts. for a crown for that tooth.

And he has a tooth on the other side that is going to need a root canal and crown pretty soon.

I'm 32 and I've had all 4 of my very back molars pulled due to years of @cid washed they got from me being bulemic.

#9 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

:heart:

I feel your pain...I had great teeth and very few cavities until I was about 30...now every time I go to the dentist it seems I have more cavities. I finally had to get a crown on one of my back molars because I kept cracking the filling (I had it refilled 6 times, then got a root canal). I do grind my teeth at night though, which doesn't help. My dental insurance doesn't cover a mouthguard but now that we finally have an FSA I'm going to shell out the $300+ for it this year.
I just chipped my front tooth a couple of weeks ago but I'm going to wait to get it fixed until I go to the dentist next month. ugh. There isn't any fluroide in our water here and I swear that's what started all of this. I have a feeling I'm going to have dentures by the time I'm 50. :eyeroll:

#10 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

ouch for all of us with our nasty dental issues! :heart:

v&t, if it makes you feel better, we do have fluoride in our water, it hasn't helped me much at all that i can tell. ;)

#11 OnBongos

OnBongos
  • VibeTribe
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

:heart:
I do grind my teeth at night though, which doesn't help. My dental insurance doesn't cover a mouthguard but now that we finally have an FSA I'm going to shell out the $300+ for it this year.

I shelled out a lot of money for one of these and my dog ate it ) :

(((((((((((((((((((CJ))))))))))))))))) ((((((((((((((vinandtonic))))))))))))))))

#12 Elphaba

Elphaba
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

i have a night guard for the teeth grinding too, but i think the wearing the guard and not being able to sleep with it has helped with the teeth grinding problem. now i just wake myself up talking all the time. :lol:

#13 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:20 AM

gah! i had the worst dream the other night... it was one of those surreal and yet realistic dreams. i was taking a bus to someone's house to study with them. this was a girl who i was friends with in early high school. (haven't seen her in 20 years) so i am walking up to her house, and all of the molars on the top right fell out in my mouth... i could actually feel them rattling around in my mouth, scraping against each other. :puke:
i spit them out into my hand and there were shards of teeth still in my mouth. i started screaming, horrified, not in any pain, holding my hand out in front of me as i went to show my friend from 20 years ago. so strange. it was so real. then the friend morphed into my cousin, and while she was talking to me, i kept running my tongue over my completely healed, totally empty gum. :puke:

i can't wait to not be obsessed about my mouth again... my last appt is tuesday and then i can start to put it all behind me. :clapping:

#14 OnBongos

OnBongos
  • VibeTribe
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:09 AM

i have a night guard for the teeth grinding too, but i think the wearing the guard and not being able to sleep with it has helped with the teeth grinding problem. now i just wake myself up talking all the time. :lol:

:lmao: You should record yourself. Maybe you are trying to tell yourself something ;)

#15 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

good luck today cj! :)

you are probably right about the fluoride. my parents both had horribly soft teeth and got dentures at an early age. It's not as if I don't take care of them either. :eyeroll:
oh well..it could be worse!

#16 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

My Mom bit thru hers :D