• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 justcallmejoe

justcallmejoe
  • VibeTribe
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

Bank of America to charge $5 monthly debit card fee

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Get ready for a new wave of bank fees. Bank of America will begin charging a $5 monthly fee at the beginning of next year for customers who make debit card purchases.
Whether you use your card for one purchase a month or 20, you will pay $5 per month starting in 2012. It doesn't matter if you select "debit" or "credit" at the point of sale.
http://money.cnn.com...x.htm?hpt=hp_c1

When is enough ...enough for these greedy bastards?? Im shopping around for local credit unions at this point.

#2 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

If you have any connection to the military (were a member or close relative to someone who was), you can bank with USAA. Not only do they not charge card fees, they reimburse you for ATM fees charged by other banks. Great insurance company, too.

Edit:
Good news! The only thing non-military aren't eligible for is auto and property insurance. all of USAA's other products (banking, investments, life insurance, etc.) are now available to the general public. To get car insurance, your parents or spouse would have to be/have been USAA members. https://www.usaa.com...hoose_usaa_main

#3 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

My uncle, deceased, was in the military. Do I qualify (neither of my parents were)?

#4 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

Just enlist dude, it's worth it for the 5 bucks a month :gop:

#5 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,905 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

You can go to the website, but my understanding of them is even though my father (rest in peace) was in the military I can't get in to their services because he was never in USAA

#6 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,823 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

we just switched to Navy Federal CU from BofA

#7 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

Massive Protest planned at the BOA offices next door to me today... (unrelated to fees, mostly Mortgage stuff.... ?)
http://www.newbottom...tests_in_boston

#8 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

If you have any connection to the military (were a member or close relative to someone who was), you can bank with USAA. Not only do they not charge card fees, they reimburse you for ATM fees charged by other banks. Great insurance company, too.

nice :smile:

My "secondary" bank is ALLY Bank... I love them.

They don't really bother too much with "overdraft" fees
They reimburse ALL ATM Fees
They don't charge me a monthly fee

but you need to get used to "no branches" type service. They answer their phones in person.

#9 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

Oy. That's the proberbial last straw. We're finding a new bank for our checking. I hate these fucks.

#10 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

so 0 interest rate and now charging to use your own money? Why would anyone put their money in a debit account when they can just use cash? Oh right, cause my job won't pay me in cash, and cash checking places charge you to get your money too...

very happy with my credit union, although they charge me $1 a month to have a checking account...at least it's an interest bearing checking account.

#11 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

My uncle, deceased, was in the military. Do I qualify (neither of my parents were)?

Good news! They only thing you aren't eligible for is auto and property insurance. all of their other products (banking, investments, life insurance, etc.) are now available to the general public. To get car insurance, your parents or spouse would have to be/have been USAA members. https://www.usaa.com...hoose_usaa_main

They've really opened up. When I joined, 26 years ago, all they had was car and house insurance, and you had to be a military officer to qualify.

#12 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

Oy. That's the proberbial last straw. We're finding a new bank for our checking. I hate these fucks.

consider Ally... no lie I save probably 50 a month in "ATM Fees"

and.... well, alot in "overdraft" fees :lol:

I've been very happy with them.... it's a different way of banking... but they do not appear to be greed driven bastards, or if they are... they are doing it right.

#13 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

You can go to the website, but my understanding of them is even though my father (rest in peace) was in the military I can't get in to their services because he was never in USAA

I heard that too from my sister-in-law when she inquired about their banking. We have several close relatives (both living and deceased) who were in the military, but never used USAA. :dunno:

#14 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

I heard that too from my sister-in-law when she inquired about their banking. We have several close relatives (both living and deceased) who were in the military, but never used USAA. :dunno:

Please see my last post. USAA has opened up banking to the general public.

#15 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

I doubt she's going to switch banks again. :lol:

#16 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

Edit:
Good news! The only thing non-military aren't eligible for is auto and property insurance. all of USAA's other products (banking, investments, life insurance, etc.) are now available to the general public. To get car insurance, your parents or spouse would have to be/have been USAA members. https://www.usaa.com...hoose_usaa_main

Great information that I think we will be able to make use of - thank you! :)

#17 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,365 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

I'm assuming this is only for customers who don't keep a minimum balance of some sort?

#18 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

No its for all customers with a debit or atm card associated

#19 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,905 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:39 PM

I'm assuming this is only for customers who don't keep a minimum balance of some sort?

So far, I've seen exemptions for those with a BoA mortgage or customers with a $20K balance (which can be combined with a Merril Lynch account).
Apparently there are other exemptions. For example, I'd think the Student accounts would be exempt

Think I saw that in the Chicago Tribune, could be wrong

#20 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,905 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

Good news! They only thing you aren't eligible for is auto and property insurance. all of their other products (banking, investments, life insurance, etc.) are now available to the general public. To get car insurance, your parents or spouse would have to be/have been USAA members. https://www.usaa.com...hoose_usaa_main

They've really opened up. When I joined, 26 years ago, all they had was car and house insurance, and you had to be a military officer to qualify.

Thanks. Today I opened my USAA checking account. Pending checking it out, this will take care 98% of why I have the BoA account, so bye bye BoA

It seems that now they also sell auto and home insurance to non military affiliated member, but I think it's just reselling Progressive, etc.

#21 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,549 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

im glad i use a local bank

#22 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:39 AM

I officially canceled my BoA account this morning. Good riddance...

#23 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:46 AM

I use a local credit union!:smile:

#24 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:55 AM

I switched to a local bank. Not a credit union, but definitely a community-based bank :smile:

#25 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:10 AM

Awesome!:smile:

#26 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,905 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Bills fan :

#27 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

Bills fan :

everyone already shot this down :lol:

#28 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

naysayers :lol:

#29 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,905 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

shot it down as in they're not eliminating the fee? That's obvious

My point is: yay Bill fans!

#30 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

So far, I've seen exemptions for those with a BoA mortgage or customers with a $20K balance (which can be combined with a Merril Lynch account).
Apparently there are other exemptions. For example, I'd think the Student accounts would be exempt

Think I saw that in the Chicago Tribune, could be wrong

ahh, another poor tax. Who the fuck has 20k in savings?

#31 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

ahh, another poor tax. Who the fuck has 20k in savings?

we do. and more in a money market account. :dunno:

#32 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

just for that we are gonna set up tents in your yard and stuff. :funny1:

#33 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,432 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

i see they're backing off the $5 monthly fee due to customer backlash :mrgreen:

#34 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

this site has been around for a long time...

http://bankofamericasucks.com/

it's dead now.... but funny stuff on there in the past... and tons of reasons why this bank (and most) suck.

#35 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

http://bankofamerica....php?f=1&t=8539 :lol:

#36 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

Yeah I suppose I did at one point too, beforeI bought my house.

But I saw a study recently that showed something like 50% of americans would not be able to get together $2000 within a month if they had to. So I'm assuming that if they can't get together 2k they prolly don't have 20k in savings.

here's an article that discusses the study: http://moneyland.tim...-2k-in-30-days/

#37 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Authorities offer $20K reward for help in solving $200K ATM heist in Medford

<!-- e-mail widget hello -->Posted Image E<!---->By Jaime Lutz, Globe Correspondent

<!---->Authorities are offering a $20,000 reward for the identification of the suspect or suspects who stole more than $200,000 from a Medford ATM.
Medford police and the FBI said someone broke into a Bank of America ATM early Saturday morning at 26 High St., overcoming most of the state-of-the-art security and stealing all the cash, according to a press release.
The ATM is inside a building that is currently being renovated; the only finished area contains the ATM itself, officials said.
Investigators are unsure how the thieves accessed the building.
Officials are seeking information from anyone who saw unusual activity near this address from 11 p.m. on Friday to 6 a.m. on Saturday. The FBI stated it is seeking tips about people who are knowledgeable about ATMs, alarm and telecommunications systems; who were missing from their home or work on Friday night; and who suddenly have a large amount of money without a solid explanation for its origin.
There are no surveillance photos of the suspects. :coffee:
Bank of America is offering a $15,000 reward, and the FBI is offering an additional $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the burglars.

now they know how it feels huh? :rolling:

Last time someone tried to rob a bank in meffa..... the cops friggin plowed their getaway car into a stone wall with the cruiser :lol: