• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#151 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,549 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

Better get rid of the lodge too cause it's man-made.

and their clothes

#152 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:46 AM

I'd be cool to have wind turbines on vehicles.

Spinray and Dawn have one on their bus & one one their farm. :smile:

#153 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,233 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:48 AM

:clapping:

#154 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,549 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:48 AM

a wind turbine for a car is actually a super charger....in a way

#155 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,233 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:49 AM

There are a couple different local folks here who generate hydro from the brooks running through their property.

#156 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:56 AM

Why complain? Because it's my view that is potentially ruined. I don't want that garbage near me. It really is that simple.

My view was ruined by a McMansion built accross the street blocking the pristine valley. I had no say cause I could not afford to buy the property & I don't think you have either.

#157 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:56 AM

a waterwheel seems to be more efficient than solar and wind
i would like the kind of property where i could produce all three

#158 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:05 AM

I think it would be a great idea to put solar on all commercial flat roofs feeding into the grid.:dunno:

#159 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

I wanted to add my 2 cents about the people in Vermont viewed through my memory...give it a grain of salt you see....

In the late 1960's-early 70's lots of people were running north for freedom.....to escape the war. My theory is that my parents and others ran out of a gas money and ended up a little shy of the Canadian border.....we ended up almost 60 miles shy in a town called Danville (7 miles west of ST J). I think it was 1972 or 1973 when the rural farming towns were invaded by educated hippies that just wanted to do their thingy so to say. The locals embraced us cause we had money to buy land and we didn't have ideas of fucing up their way of life. So fast forward a little bit like to 2011...... these farm kids and hippie kids are now melted in the melted *** and know they love the land and they don't want uncle sam dragging them off or for that matter anything to do with the gov in some regards.

Something just interrupted my thought process.... something to do with people that can live off the grid not needing the grid in their front yard....something like that. I'll return to my thoughts once the cake is done. :undecided:

#160 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:48 AM

I wonder if they could put wind turbines on the skyscrapers of Manhatan

#161 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:15 AM

probably wouldn't work, but I see no reason why most skyscrapers don't have solar panels on their roof.

Entire roof of the new Allied Health Center building at my school has them

Posted Image

#162 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:25 AM

My view was ruined by a McMansion built accross the street blocking the pristine valley. I had no say cause I could not afford to buy the property & I don't think you have either.

That sucks, and that's one of the factors my wife and I considered when we shopped for homes last year. We both work in Rochester and wanted to be somewhat close for our commutes, but there was the threat of development. So we opted for the house that's an extra 15-20 minutes of driving so it's not such a threat because the zoning laws where we are won't allow it. But if wind turbines were to be proposed, I am confident the locals will unite against allowing it considering what happened just south of us.

That's what I'm saying! Put 'em where structures already are. If not skyscrapers, then other buildings. People living in these areas already have buildings and tall stuff around them.

#163 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:34 AM

NIMBY

:funny1:

#164 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:39 AM

No doubt about it. :lol:

#165 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

probably wouldn't work, but I see no reason why most skyscrapers don't have solar panels on their roof.

Entire roof of the new Allied Health Center building at my school has them

Posted Image

A lot of them do now. A lot of it has to do with design. Making it logistically and financially unappealing.

#166 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,674 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

Tabbooma still does not get it, why are people going to protest the wind, what did the wind do? :undecided:

#167 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,908 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

Tabbooma,
The wind tore off half my roof earlier this year :joker:

#168 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

A lot of them do now. A lot of it has to do with design. Making it logistically and financially unappealing.

...you guys are so thinking like it's the 1970's...

Posted Image

The roof of Citigroup Center slopes at a 45-degree angle because it was originally intended to contain solar panels to provide energy. However, this idea was eventually dropped because the positioning of the angled roof meant that the solar panels would not face the sun directly.

http://en.wikipedia....otable_features

#169 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

Im not thinking anyway except what i see in the planning and management of nyc buildings. Many buildings are adopting some solar usage. Some are not due to design and financial appeal.

#170 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Tabbooma still does not get it, why are people going to protest the wind, what did the wind do? :undecided:

Stand downwind from a pile of shit and you tell me what wind does. Plus those blades come off and kill thousands of people a year...I made that part up but it could happen...maybe....

#171 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,233 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:42 PM

High winds blow the dead colorful leaves from the trees.

#172 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

High winds blow the dead colorful leaves from the trees.

And my power lines down.