Birthday Parties

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 FairMaidenMcree

FairMaidenMcree
  • VibeTribe
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:47 AM

I have a pet peeve about birthday parties. We live in a very nice area so the kids parties we attend are given by parents of means. Anyhow, most of the parties have barely any food and some have excluded siblings for some of the activities (many parents bring siblings, not uncommon) I eat at home and bring food now. By the time you get 2 kids ready, drive there, attend during "mealtime" it would seem most people would need/want to eat.

When I have birthday parties, I always have kid food but also something the adults would like (not alcohol but real food) and always include siblings in all activities. sheesh. manners people, don't forget your manners...lol

The last party we went to they served only caffeinated beverages....for a 6 yr old party :crazy: thank goodness my kids like and drink water.

I know I go a bit overboard with parties but birthdays should be celebrated!! and it does not cost a lot of money to feed a group if you are careful.

For the last bday I got pizza for the kids, and made pork bbq for the adults (and kids if they wanted it), home made cole slaw, quiche for my vegetarian friends (roasted peppers, mushrooms, spinach, cheese, no vegans attended) and 3 different cakes. Of course chips and easy picnic food. It was at a water park and the invitations encouraged families to come and bring siblings. We had a shelter for the party/food and everyone had a great time.

anyone else have birthday party issues? lol

#2 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:32 AM

I hate when people don't RSVP. We've only had 1 party out of the house (out of 11 parties) but still. I also serve food to adults & kids or I purposefully plan the party for a non-meal time (2-4). But still will offer snacks that both will enjoy. I also allow siblings b/c we wouldn't be able to go anywhere if people didn't let me bring both girls - Frank works most weekends.

My biggest pet peeve is the goodie bag!! :bang: I F'in HATE goodie bags! I hate giving them & receiving them. WHY do we need to give out a bag of oriental trading crap & candy AFTER the kids have spent 2 hrs enjoying various activities, snacks & cake/cupcakes?

Please join me in the 'Down with Goodie Bags' revolution! :funny1: I have banned it here & have quite a few parents on board in our circle

#3 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:40 PM

If the party is during meal time a meal should be provided. Last year for Maya's 4th we had hot dogs, chips, and salad for the kids, and sausage and other healthier foods for the adults.

I also hate the goodie bags. They are seriously so not needed! We made sugar cookies on sticks for Maya's party, and the kids' last activity was to decorate them with frosting. Granted that was a bit much b/c they had just eaten cake. I figured the kids would decorate the "wands" and bring them home to eat, but once one kid ate theirs so did everyone else. Whoops. :funny1:

The best game I've seen so far at a party was to find the shelled peanuts that were scattered on the ground. Kids all got a bag to fill up, then at the end they all counted them up and the kid with the most peanuts won. The best part was during the finding part some parents would walk along and keep throwing more peanuts on the ground!

#4 FairMaidenMcree

FairMaidenMcree
  • VibeTribe
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

agreed, down with goodie bags!!

it is sorta dumb and most of the stuff is not needed/usable (crappy games that done work, etc)

Even if you try to get "good stuff" there has been enough fun at the party, just not needed!!

I try to do the craft thing to so they can make something to take home and it keeps them busy...ftw!!

#5 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

I do the crafty thing as well or get them all something that goes w/ the theme. One year we had a tinkerbell party & I bought all the girls wings & boys a pirate patch & bandana

#6 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:50 PM

i hate when people don't rsvp!!! especially if there is a limit on the number of children that you can have. if your kid can't come, tell me so someone else can get an invite!!

and goodie bags. blech. usually a bunch of crap. last year for jeremy's birthday party i gave out activity/colouring books with crayons. this year, i will be giving out $5 dairy queen gift cards in thank you cards. i figure it is a nice treat and will work out to less than a bag full of plastic crap would cost.

#7 FairMaidenMcree

FairMaidenMcree
  • VibeTribe
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:34 AM

that's a great idea cj! I love the gift certificate idea

I should probably shut up and just be glad my kid gets invited...lol :lol:

#8 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:49 PM

i'm starting to freak out, planning mackenna's 8th b-day bash. we've always just had it somewhere else, so this is the first time we're actually hosting a kid's party AND mack wants it to be a sleepover.
we have the menu set. we're making a giant crockpot of mac & cheese and will set out bowls of stuff for people to mix in. bacon, mozzarella, salsa, peas, ground beef, sauteed onions/mushrooms, scallions, cut up hot dogs, and potato chips. we'll also have other snacky food and candy, but we're focusing on a dinner that both parents and kids will love.
i agreed with the goodie bag stance in this thread until we went to mack's bff's party and she got a bag filled with dollar store crap. it gave her great joy for at least the day. i think it alleviates the jealousy involved with young kids watching one person get tons of gifts while they get nothing. is it right, no, but is it a nice gesture, yes. also, mack wants a justin bieber :rolleyes: theme, and i found great reusable JB totes for $.99 ea and i got super excited. :lol:
we're going to make friendship pins, have an aluminum foil fashion show, and play spin the nail polish (where they spin a color and whoever it points at paints 1 nail that color, then they switch the color and continue until everyone's nails are painted)
we still have 2 weeks to get all our ducks in a row, but it's nerve racking!!! trying to make sure your kid has a great birthday experience while trying to fill in all the details for the grown ups! :gah: it was so much easier just going to chuck e cheese. :lol:

#9 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,722 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

Aww, Jenny...that sounds like so much fun! I'm mad we can't make it! :ravn:

#10 Misha

Misha

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

THat sounds like such a fun party Jenny!:mrgreen:

So far I've been pretty lucky party-wise. The parties we've gone to were at "kid places" like bouncy room parties, sports parties, etc. The goodie bags have actually been usable still (included in the price of the party) like decent water bottles and temp tatoos. Each time pizza was served.

Jude's 6th birthday is Dec 30th and I'm considering a pool party at the YMCA--I *think* kids would like the idea of being in a pool in the middle of winter:dunno: It's also not too expensive and we can provide our own food.

#11 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

A pool party in winter would be awesome!! :jamguy:

#12 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

We just hosted a birthday party for our now 7 year old. Since last year she's said she wanted next year's party at her house.
19 little girls invited, 15 showed (the 4 that didn't never rsvp'd either). Luckily it was a nice October day, didn't rain until an hour after we cleaned up.

My wife was great as project manager. Worked with our daughter to pick games, activities, and food, planned it out and ran with it.

The kids played pin the tail on the donkey, spoon relay race (using ping pong balls vs. eggs), some sort of musical chair game, and best of all, bobbing for apples.
As an activity we set them up with white t's, and gave them each a sugar pumpkin for painting. The finished products took the place of gift bags.

We made homemade lemonade (is there any other kind?) and served pizza for lunch (made sure party was near lunch time so as not to screw up other meal plans).
Cupcakes took the place of the traditional cake.

Based on the laughter, singing, and joyful screaming of the 15 little girls, the party was a huge success :rose:

#13 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:24 AM

I've always had house parties, but I'm a preschool teacher. If I can't do a party, I need to quit my job. :funny1: Past themes have been Dora, princesses, Tinkerbell & carnival (still my favorite)

Jess' 5th bday is in 2 weeks. we are having a red carpet fashion show/dance paRTY. i am setting up a backstage area w/ a shower curtain, red carpet w/ material from joann fabrics, bought all kinds of dress up accessories from the dollar store (tiaras, necklaces, rings, 'satin' gloves). I am hiring my older daughter & 2 friends to help do hair (colored spraypaint for hair) and nails. The craft will be to decorate wooden frames w/ rhinestones. Then we will take their picture walking the runway & put it in the picture frame

NO GOODIE BAGS! :joker: Instead they get dress up accessories, a picture frame & their picture

#14 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:03 AM

Oh man I want to come to that party! :smile:

#15 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

wanna trade? :lol: I come up with these ideas & then realize I have to put it together & run it! :rolleyes: Fun but exhausting

#16 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:04 PM

i can't wait to have house parties!!! the house we are in is sooooo small. and the stairs are very dangerous (we have all fallen down them at one point or another). so the thought of having a bunch of bouncy boys in here is not a good one. i generally don't even have playdates here because i don't want anyone's kid falling down my stairs.

i finally got my shit together and booked j's party at a gymnastics place in town. an hour of gymnastics followed by an hour in the party room for dinner and cake. woot!

but next year, i will have a bigger house, with safer stairs, and you bet i'm having house parties!!! soooooo much easier... :ura1: :ura1: :ura1: :ura1: :ura1: :ura1: :ura1: :ura1:

#17 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

i'm starting to freak out, planning mackenna's 8th b-day bash. we've always just had it somewhere else, so this is the first time we're actually hosting a kid's party AND mack wants it to be a sleepover.
we have the menu set. we're making a giant crockpot of mac & cheese and will set out bowls of stuff for people to mix in. bacon, mozzarella, salsa, peas, ground beef, sauteed onions/mushrooms, scallions, cut up hot dogs, and potato chips. we'll also have other snacky food and candy, but we're focusing on a dinner that both parents and kids will love.
i agreed with the goodie bag stance in this thread until we went to mack's bff's party and she got a bag filled with dollar store crap. it gave her great joy for at least the day. i think it alleviates the jealousy involved with young kids watching one person get tons of gifts while they get nothing. is it right, no, but is it a nice gesture, yes. also, mack wants a justin bieber :rolleyes: theme, and i found great reusable JB totes for $.99 ea and i got super excited. :lol:
we're going to make friendship pins, have an aluminum foil fashion show, and play spin the nail polish (where they spin a color and whoever it points at paints 1 nail that color, then they switch the color and continue until everyone's nails are painted)
we still have 2 weeks to get all our ducks in a row, but it's nerve racking!!! trying to make sure your kid has a great birthday experience while trying to fill in all the details for the grown ups! :gah: it was so much easier just going to chuck e cheese. :lol:

We totally rocked this party :clapping: but I think next year is going to be chuck e cheese again :lol: Way less expensive and way less exhausting :lol:

Why is it that for the main part the people with shitty kids just drop them off but the best kids parents stay and help...don't answer that I know why :lol:

#18 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:40 PM

PHEW!! Red carpet fashion show party is OVER!! :jamguy: The girls had a good time. My friends want me to start a business running birthday parties - F that!! :lol: It's only worth it for my own kids!!

#19 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

It looked like a great party. Good work! :wink:

#20 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,825 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

I'm gonna miss this part of bein a Dad... my oldest turns 18 this month, Sierra is on the cusp of 13... my last time throwing a party was when Sierra was turning 10. Did a build a bear party for 10 of her chums...at the big mall... "after party" in the food court with pizza and altnernatives... everyone had a blast and got to take home a bear and prizes.

Ima miss that stuff.:sad:

#21 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

I'm willing to bet you give your girls birthday presents Chris :smile:

#22 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,825 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

:smile:

on that note I am afraid to imagine what Lynn might be expecting for her 18th this month.... cuz I ain't getting her a car. :plain:

#23 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:29 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the party was a hit with the kids and the $5 dq gift cards were a big hit with the moms. :woot:

next year, instead of dq, i will do bookstore cards.

#24 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

oh, and next time, i AM excluding siblings!!! :joker:

one of the boys arrived with dad and older brother, who were going to leave once the party got underway. when two of the invitees didn't show, i told the older brother that if he wanted to stay for the party he was welcome to. what a pain in the ass that kid was! rabble rousing, roughhousing, just generally being a jerk no matter how many times i had to speak to him, or how many times the gymnastics leader had to speak to him. and of course, since he was a little bit older, all of the 6 year old's wanted to be cool like him. argh! :bang: ah well. the only negative aspect of the party was that, so it's all good. ;)

#25 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,825 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

CJ, I *tried* to have a party like that (rock climbing, gymnastics) ... but my gosh they barraged me with waivers and all kindsa stuff for other parents to sign... so it scared me off a bit...

#26 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:02 AM

yeah, this place wasn't too bad. in order to book the party i had to check the box saying that the gym isn't responsible if any of the kids at the party broke themselves. but they didn't make me chase people down and make them sign waivers. if they had i would have booked elsewhere. who needs that kind of pain in the ass? :funny1:

#27 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,825 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

I was already dealing with a batch of fairly neurotic moms who could not FATHOM how it was ~ just me ~(a guy!) putting on a birthday party for my 10 year old daughter... "oh your wife must really appreciate you doing all the work" :lmao:

yep. I'm sure. :lol:

#28 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

neurotic moms scare me. :one: :lol:

#29 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts