Photo
- - - - -

Have any of you been getting calls from credit card scammers?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

I've been getting tons of calls from scammers with robo dialed calls claiming that they're going to lower interest rates. They ask for all kinds of info, and I play along giving fake info until some point where I usually refer to the caller's mother's infected C. I always report them to the FTC and beyond.

Want something to protest? Here you go. These people are preying on and stealing from the elderly and it's deplorable.

#2 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,063 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Not sign'd.

#3 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

Sorry, I'll take you off the list. Hey, if anyone's interested in saving money by refinancing their home loan at lower interest rates, please let me know. I'll need some information first, though.

#4 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:19 PM

When plugging in the numbers they're calling from into whocalled.us, hundreds of people have been called from all walks of life.

#5 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

"Down with this sort of thing."

#6 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

Careful now. :coffee:

#7 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,249 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:40 PM

while you're waiting for the next call

Posted Image

#8 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,483 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

levals

:iasw:

#9 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

I didn't answer their attempt from this number either, but from the other comments (especially the bit about them swearing at you when you "waste" their time by doing something like not letting them have your CC#) it sounds like the same idiots calling from 515-789-7889 (Iowa) and a few other spoofed/bounced SIP numbers that don't accept incoming calls. There's probably not a lot the no-call people can do, and they change numbers constantly so reporting it won't matter; in some cases, you're reporting a legitimate number that they are masquerading as, so it could actually be harmful. If the FBI were to check out where these numbers are being accessed from, something might happen, so maybe they should be contacted instead, especially considering how wide the phishing net has apparently been cast.

Yes, they swear at you and call you names.

#10 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:47 PM

So seriously, I'm the only one on the boards getting these calls?

#11 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

i did get a robocall last week "about my credit card" (no company name) and then asked me to "verify my card number" by giving them my credit card number and the last 4 digits of my SS#. I hung up on them. I don't even have a credit card, unless you count my store credit card from Kohls...

#12 Goose

Goose
  • VibeTribe
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

I'm home today I got one this morning and another one a little while ago. The woman said she could lower all credit card bills to 6%. I googled the name of the company while I was on the phone and all kinds of scam reports came up. We went around in circles about that for a few minutes, then she started asking for cc numbers. I found out they get around the do not call thing by having you press 1 at some point that way they say you called them.

#13 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

So seriously, I'm the only one on the boards getting these calls and has caller ID and voice mail? :coffee:

#14 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

I seldom answer the home phone anymore.

#15 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

So seriously, I'm the only one on the boards getting these calls and has caller ID and voice mail? :coffee:

A. They spoof their numbers

B. They've been calling my home and my cell which are unrelated. My cell is a company cell and is registered to the company. I answer all numbers that come through on the cell as it's business phone.

C. I answer at home because it's fun to call these cunts cunts.

#16 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

If you have a cell phone, and cell service works in your home, why do you need a landline?

#17 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

A. They spoof their numbers

B. They've been calling my home and my cell which are unrelated. My cell is a company cell and is registered to the company. I answer all numbers that come through on the cell as it's business phone.

C. I answer at home because it's fun to call these cunts cunts.

Well then no. I don't have your problems :lol: But you shouldn't bitch about answering the home phone if it's just to have fun.

#18 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

why do you need a landline?

#19 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

If you have a cell phone, and cell service works in your home, why do you need a landline?

My cell is a company perk. I do not pay for it. I need a landline since my wife is a sahm, and I'm not comfortable leaving her home when I travel without a dependable phone in case of emergency. We have a cell for my daughter with a family plan, and my wife has one for the car in case of emergency.

#20 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,063 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

My cell is a company perk. I do not pay for it. I need a landline since my wife is a sahm, and I'm not comfortable leaving her home when I travel without a dependable phone in case of emergency. We have a cell for my daughter with a family plan, and my wife has one for the car in case of emergency.

So in case of emergency, she can call you first?

:dunno:

#21 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

Huh? :dunno:

#22 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

Makes sense.

#23 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:19 PM

Well then no. I don't have your problems :lol: But you shouldn't bitch about answering the home phone if it's just to have fun.

Reading comprehension, Jay. I'm not bitching about answering the phone, I'm more appalled by what they do to the elderly.

#24 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,063 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

Huh? :dunno:

When you are away on "business", you want your wife to be able to call you from the land line in case of emergency?

#25 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

When you are away on "business", you want your wife to be able to call you from the land line in case of emergency?

No she needs to be able to call for help, 911, etc, then call me. Was that not clear?

#26 FYC (Find Your Cloud)

FYC (Find Your Cloud)
  • VibeTribe
  • 747 posts
  • LocationIn the clouds

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

Defensive josh is defensive. good times.

#27 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,063 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

What is not clear is how that can be better accomplished via land line.

#28 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,249 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

Posted Image

#29 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

Reading comprehension, Jay. I'm not bitching about answering the phone, I'm more appalled by what they do to the elderly.

Way to make fun of the learning disabled :sad:

Often happens with those of a less then smallish structure :funny1:

#30 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,376 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

I occasionally get calls like this. A haven't actually answered, but I've gotten voice messages.

#31 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

What is not clear is how that can be better accomplished via land line.

Try calling 911 when you are administering CPR for your child from a cell phone and expecting them to know where you are.

#32 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,063 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

Try calling 911 when you are administering CPR for your child from a cell phone and expecting them to know where you are.

I'll take my chances.

#33 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

They asked, and I explained. Hardly defensive. (Besides right now you ugly fat bearded bitch) :lol:

Way to make fun of the learning disabled :sad:

Often happens with those of a less then smallish structure :funny1:

Way to make fun of the fat, stupid.

This. I'm also very big on preparedness. (too many zombie movies) I like having backups of emergency items.

#34 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

They asked, and I explained. Hardly defensive. (Besides right now you ugly fat bearded bitch) :lol:

Way to make fun of the fat, stupid.

This. I'm also very big on preparedness. (too many zombie movies) I like having backups of emergency items.

Off to the diaper. :spank:

#35 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

I'll take my chances.

You don't have kids.

#36 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

Ok, I'll just start another thread in family that my friends aren't allowed to participate in. Fine with me. :lol:

#37 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

Off to the diaper. :spank:

So? He's fat and I'm stupid it's not like someone posted this
http://t2.gstatic.co...pxpIBd2CNTY140Q

#38 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

I'm offended by the tone, topic and personal attacks found within the "occupy wall st." thread? Can that be moved too? :lol: :crying:

#39 FYC (Find Your Cloud)

FYC (Find Your Cloud)
  • VibeTribe
  • 747 posts
  • LocationIn the clouds

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

Simmer down simmer down. You read what the lady said in the other thread. The days of me calling you a spermfunnel and you calling me a mantittied yetibitch are over, friend. Be liquid. Adapt brahhhh.

#40 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

I have been getting the your eastern bank MasterCard is locked for security reasons and press 1to re activate scam..... Don't think I have had an acct at that bank for like 15years so I haven't pressed 1 but I assume they want your credit card and social etc