New Cookware!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

Just ordered a set of All-Clad stainless steel cookware from some gift certificates we were given for our jubilee - we are actually going to have "grown-up" pots and pans rather than our kinda-crappy thrift-store finds and hand-me-downs, yay!

Anything that makes cooking an even more pleasant experience is tops in my book! :mrgreen:

#2 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

*jealous*

I can't afford All-Clad, so I have Emeril's stainless and copper instead. http://www.emerilwar...&prodID=default

For those on a budget, it's seriously good quality for the money.

There is nothing worse than trying to cook a good meal with shitty pans. I often do the cooking at family events and I always end up bringing a pan with me because everyone in my family has shitty pans. Even my parents with their decked out Electrolux kitchen have shitty pans. It makes no sense to me. You drop 3 grand on a hetty stove, but cook with a $20 walmart pan? :carla:

#3 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

Not everyone in your family has shitty pans :wink: I have two decent copper stainless sautes and then a full set of heavy duty non-stick.

Congrats, Lola! Good pans make a big difference! :smile:

#4 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

well, I've never really had to cook at your place

Darren - shitty pans
Mom and Dad - shitty pans
Gramma - shitty pans
Sister in law - shitty pans
Father in law - shitty pans
Mom in law - haven't cook there, but pretty sure, shitty pans

#5 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,890 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

Good kitchen tools = awesome :ura1:

Enjoy!

#6 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, I am stoked that we could make this happen thanks to the generousity of our friends and family! :heart: We had the pots and pans on our wish-list but I knew that unless there was a big group purchase, it wouldn't be happening... We found a great deal at Macy's and they included an All-Clad lasagna pan as a gift - it is an investment to be sure (that said, if it has DHS's seal of approval, I know it'll be top-notch equipment!) I am so excited to try cooking with real quality cookware! We have an awesome cast-iron casserole and fry-pan, but everything else is a mismatched el cheapo assortment - the sort where stuff burns on the bottom even if you leave it on a low simmer... :rolleyes: It's nice to know that we'll have these ones for life - and that I will finally have a *real* sautee pan - squeee! :ura1: (yes, I get *that* excited about cooking and cooking equipment! :funny1:) All the better to make good dinners and feed folks with! :)

#7 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

:jamguy:

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,433 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:18 AM

The quality of the pan makes a difference with low simmer bottom burning? Wow that had never been pointed out nor occurred to me.

Hope you enjoy many a fine meal cooked in your new pots and pans.

#9 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:02 AM

Yep - if you have a pan with a good heavy bottom, what's in the pan won't burn or stick b/c the heat is diffused better throughout the entire surface - this is why cast iron is so awesome. It's all about the heat distribution. Pans with thin bottoms get hot spots which = burning and sticking. Using a diffusing pad between the heat source and the pan can alleviate this somewhat.

My thrift-store finds and hand-me-downs have served me as well as they could have, but it's gonna be nice to have some good, solid pans to work with now. :)

#10 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,986 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:37 AM

:boogie:

#11 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

awesome!!! I've got an all-clad roasting pan, and we also picked it up with gift certificates, and it was on a steep discount. i love it.

and DHS has made me feel better about my emeril cookware. thanks brehm. :beer:

#12 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,986 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

your thread reminded me that we have to return a gift to williams sonoma. now i have a ton of store credit to play with!!!!!!!!!! :Phishfolk:

prolly gonna get a turkey roasting pan and a fancy new cutting board. i looooooooove kitchen schtuff :D

#13 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

If you wan similar quality at a fraction of the price try the tramontina line at walmart... Tests just just. As well and you get a 5 piece set for the price of one pan

http://www.seriousea...na-skillet.html

#14 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

I made a divine potato and leek soup the other day with my immersion blender and had to call and thank my mom again. :grin:

And pop handed down his juicer to me when he upgraded- it's really nice cooking with fresh juice.

On my wish list- a breadmaker and a countertop convection oven.

#15 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

my aunt passed down a huge saute pan that I never used (since it probably is about 3 gal size) but I was really happy to have it this weekend when I made seafood fra diavalo for 6 that included about 3 doz clams and 6 doz mussels! and it was so easy to clean (totally stainless steel)

#16 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

i love my All Clad pans!

and Wit i want to compare soup recipes...i made a potato leek soup last week that was SO good. my first attempt. yum!

#17 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,986 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

yummm love potato leek. tis the season!! :dance:

#18 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

I like to add dill to my potato-leek soup. Will be making some this week with the leftover leeks from Thanksgiving this weekend. Add a salad and crusty bread and oooooh, yum!

My All-Clad cookware is in (yay!) but it is at my sister's house so I don't get to try it out yet (boo!) Ah, well... Can't wait to try it out with some yummy autumn and winter cooking!!!

#19 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

So I've been cooking with this for awhile now and I have to say it was totally worth the investment!

They clean-up easily, cook foods evenly, and are just really, really well made. They don't replace the two cast-iron pieces we use frequently, but made a great addition to them. :)