• VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

http://www.nydailyne..._them_bums.html

Anti-Gay Marriage group targets New York GOPers who voted for same-sex nuptials
BY Glenn Blain
DAILY NEWS ALBANY BUREAU

Monday, September 5th 2011, 4:00 AM

Anti-gay marriage advocates have begun targeting Republican lawmakers, like Roy McDonald, who voted in favor of same-sex nuptials with roadside ads.
Will Waldron/Albany Times UnionSen. Roy McDonald broke party ranks and voted in New York's historic gay marriage legislation.

ALBANY - An anti-gay marriage group is launching a billboard attack against Republican senators who voted in favor of same-sex unions.

The National Organization for Marriage plans to place billboards in the districts of four GOP state senators who broke ranks and voted to legalize gay marriage in June.

"Roy McDonald, You're Fired," screams the group's first billboard, which went up recently in the district of Albany-area Sen. Roy McDonald.

"This is not going to end," vowed NOM President Brian Brown, who said the group is spending about $40,000 on the initial run of billboards.

In the coming weeks, the group hopes to have billboards in the districts of Sens. Mark Grisanti of Buffalo, Stephen Saland of Dutchess County and James Alesi of upstate Monroe County.

The billboards are the latest salvo in the marriage group's ongoing campaign to defeat pro-same-sex senators in the 2012 election - and ultimately force a statewide referendum on the issue.

In July, the group spent $150,000 on mailings targeting voters in districts of senators who supported gay marriage.

"This is what this campaign is going to be from here on out," Brown said. "We are not going to rest until the people of this state get a vote."

Targeted senators shrugged off the attack.

"People need to get over it because the simple fact is that everyone should enjoy the same rights," said Grisanti spokesman Doug Curella. "This just rolls right off our back."

"They are entitled to their opinion; it is a free country," added McDonald spokesman Mike Veitch.

Gay marriage advocates said they would come to the defense of the four Republicans.

"We are going to do everything we can to ensure that those who voted for equality are reelected," said Brian Ellner of the Human Rights Campaign.

gblain@nydailynews.com

why is this not considered hate crime?:dunno:

#2 syd_25

syd_25
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ct

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

free speech?

#3 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,883 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

What particular crime are they guilty of? :huh:

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

Well, it is political speech.

Stupid, ignorant, misguided political speech? Damn straight.

But I don't like the idea of living in a society where such a thing is unlawful.

#5 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

why is this not considered thought crime?:dunno:

Doubleplusungood.

#6 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

Vic you seem to be very for the 1st amendment when people are saying things you agree with and very against it when they are saying things you don't agree with.

#7 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

free speech?

right i suppose. there isn't anything actually hateful on a billboard saying "you're fired" on it...can't draw a line on what it might be implying

#8 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

Vic you seem to be very for the 1st amendment when people are saying things you agree with and very against it when they are saying things you don't agree with.

yeah, no...i kinda let that one slip...see post above

#9 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

Shut it down.

#10 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

K. :D

#11 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

regardless of reason, campaigning against a politician is not a hate crime. "don't vote for this man...he's black!" or "don't vote for this man...he likes the gays!" isn't a hate crime. it's morally reprehensible, but not a crime. you can say that sort of thing if you want.

#12 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

regardless of reason, campaigning against a politician is not a hate crime. "don't vote for this man...he's black!" or "don't vote for this man...he likes the gays!" isn't a hate crime. it's morally reprehensible, but not a crime. you can say that sort of thing if you want.

is that not lawfully illegal?:dunno:

i know implying these things isnt and shouldnt be

#13 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

lame. people with too much money, no soul, and way too much time on their hands. :coffee: if i were a ny resident, all those billboards would do is make me want to cross party lines and vote for those republicans.

#14 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,537 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:22 PM

its dumb who are they going to vote for instead the liberal democrat :lol:

#15 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

Not illegal. Nor should it be.

#16 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

No, because its just an opinion. A moronic opinion (IMHO), but an opinion just the same.

For something to be a crime (hate or otherwise), there has to be a crime committed. Stupidity is still legal.

#17 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

C'mon, vic. You should know better than this. :spank:

#18 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

Not illegal. Nor should it be.

C'mon, vic. You should know better than this. :spank:

:coffee:

#19 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

"don't vote for this man...he's black!"

i just always thought that saying this directly on a billboard is illegal...not that i'm saying it should be, just thought it was. mostly you'll find something implying it without outright saying it

is it not illegal to promote lynching or something of the sort or saying "send blacks back to africa"

i'm just trying to figure out where the line is drawn in actual law, not offering an opinion of whether or not something should or should not be legal

#20 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

Stupidity is still legal.

Thank God :huh:

#21 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:12 PM

I'm all for the anti-gay haters blowing their wad on billboards and bankrupting themselves :cheesy:

#22 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

It's legal to be a racist. You can say "send the blacks back to Africa". You can't kidnap a black person and take them to Africa. One is a statement protected by your right to free speech. The other is a federal crime.

#23 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

The amount of money these idiots spend on the 'defense of marriage' could probably feed a lot of hungry Americans.

#24 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

I would love to see DOMA overturned so I can watch all of their heads simultaneously explode :cheesy:

Posted Image