Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

:chinacat:

:heart: :lol:

#104 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

So we've stopped eating pork & beef, eat seafood about 2x a week & chicken on a limited basis. I've been cutting the milk out of their diets, giving them a lot less cheese, stopped buying sour cream, stopped using butter, reduced the amount of eggs we eat. I was already baking my own bread, we really don't eat many processed foods & were already mostly organic.....

PS Frank wants to kill you :lol:

Edited to add: I feel great & have so much more energy!! and my allergies have gotten soooooooooo much better

#105 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

I will tie her down for Frank at Strange Creek :devil:

Actually, we'll just stake her down in family camp and let the kids have at her :lol:

#106 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

I will tie her down for Frank at Strange Creek :devil: Actually, we'll just stake her down in family camp and let the kids have at her :lol:

:lol: just leave sharpies out & walk away! (there's nothing to see here folks) :devil:

#107 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

:chinacat:

:heart: :lol:

I was wondering if I still had that emoticon. lol

So we've stopped eating pork & beef, eat seafood about 2x a week & chicken on a limited basis. I've been cutting the milk out of their diets, giving them a lot less cheese, stopped buying sour cream, stopped using butter, reduced the amount of eggs we eat. I was already baking my own bread, we really don't eat many processed foods & were already mostly organic.....

PS Frank wants to kill you :lol:

Edited to add: I feel great & have so much more energy!! and my allergies have gotten soooooooooo much better

omg, start juicing on top of that and you will have so much MORE energy! And ooooh. how you'll poop!!

I will avoid frank at all costs at SC but I do expect I'll see him a few pounds lighter with more pep in his step and making a few more visits to the portos. lol

yay veggies!!!!!

I will tie her down for Frank at Strange Creek :devil:

Actually, we'll just stake her down in family camp and let the kids have at her :lol:

you'll have to catch me first!

(which should be easy, when I'm passed out on the field)

:lol: just leave sharpies out & walk away! (there's nothing to see here folks) :devil:

lol

I CANNOT WAIT to see all of you!!!

maybe instead of one of the late night sets we can use a cabin to project Forks over Knives?

rofl

#108 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

who's my next victim?

seany? you still eatin bacon? lol

#109 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

maybe instead of one of the late night sets we can use a cabin to project Forks over Knives? rofl

SURE! I totally go to strangecreek for the educational experience. (Note sarcasm) :lol:

#110 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

What a super duper idea! Kel, we can sit together and take notes! :D

#111 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:45 AM

What a super duper idea! Kel, we can sit together and take notes! :D

Maybe we could also record it so we don't miss anything!!!!

#112 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,860 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

I will tie her down for Frank at Strange Creek :devil: Actually, we'll just stake her down in family camp and let the kids have at her :lol:

I told you she's got to be stopped! And at night while she's tied to the post they'll throw glow sticks at her feet. And chicken wings! I bet she'll go up in flames!!!! :gingersnap:

#113 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

we can make a meat necklace for her :devil:

#114 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:57 AM

watching this now. sugar = opiate

http://www.veglov.co...-and-sugar.html

#115 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,860 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

well duh, but the site I learned that from was

http://www.vaglov.cum...-andhoney.html

but it seems to have gone underground.

#116 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

not a duh to all, and lots of other good stuff mentioned in the video

#117 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Posted Image

#118 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

#119 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

watch the entire documentary here:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/279734

#120 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Another great food documentary Hungry for Change

#121 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

http://hpjmh.com/201...from-australia/

#122 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

And Food Inc here for free

GREAT VIDS in this link

If you watch The Future of Food, Food Inc, Hungry for Change, Food Matters, Forks over Knives, you WILL change your eating habits - the info is Just too powerful to ignore.

#123 kerplanda.

kerplanda.
  • VibeTribe
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

Just wanted to pop in and say that despite how difficult it can be at times I really love being a vegan =]

#124 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

curious if anyone is following the Esselstyn diet (ie: plant based, vegan, oil-free) to the letter and what their experience has been.

my husband and i are in the process of phasing out all oils, processed sugars and in my case, animal products. he's been a vegetarian for 16 years, primarily vegan, though he would have eggs and small amounts of dairy on rare occasions.

i was an omnivore until a week ago. for the last 4 years, i've kept a vegetarian home but got my "fix" whenever i was out. our old habits are not serving either of us any more though, so we're making some changes.

oof.

#125 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,040 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

I have not, yet...
Dairy --> On it's way, but pizza is a struggle.
Eggs --> on occasion, but easily taken out. soon.
Oils --> could do, I guess, but have not put too much thought into it
Processed Sugars --> somewhat tough for me. Not that I eat a ton of candy, but certainly weekly I will have some sort of dessert, or candy, or both.
Animal products --> meats/fish gone. cheese/eggs/honey still there.

I would love to go vegan, and don't know what the holdup for me is... I am vegan about 85% of the time...

#126 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

i would cut someone for a slice of good pizza right about now :lol:

we pretty much cut out eggs when our local fresh egg connection lost her chickens to the coyotes. i bought the most "heady" grocery store eggs for a while but we never, ever ate them. they just suck in comparison. so...sort of an easy thing to give up for us, though it was a staple for a while. we'd been doing egg whites only, or 1 yolk to every 3 eggs, for a long time.

oils: TOUGH! especially tahini and olive oil. i love tahini to distraction. and olive oil is like air to my Italian husband. but we're working on it. down to less than once a day for all. progress! gonna miss the olive oil based butter alternative i've been using lately. i love buttered toast.

avocados, i just don't know. Jason will probably give them up completely because he feels he needs to for health reasons. i...well, i'll stop buying them for home use, to support his decision. but i don't know if i can cut them out forever. i just love them!

processed sugar: the hardest for me long-term i think, as good dark chocolate has been like medicine for me at times. i don't eat a lot of candy either, but when i do it easily leads to more, and more. i never realized how addicted i was to sugar until i did a raw food fast...after that it was hard to deny. so this is one area where i know i'm better off just avoiding it completely. i can't moderate something i'm utterly addicted to, and even if i break the cycle, one taste is all it takes to bring me right back to it. so sayonara, chocolate. :cries:

animal products: i had a moment of weakness on Monday (managed to contain the damage to a MINOR slip, just barely) but otherwise haven't had any meat, cheese or eggs since last Tuesday. honey was easy to cut out once i decided to give up the plain yogurt i routinely enjoyed it with...yogurt is my last holdout for dairy and animal products actually, but i've cut wayyyy back and will cut it out completely soon. i don't sweeten my tea.

i think i'm going to crave cheese for a long, long time. :headbang:

#127 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

what do you cook with, if no oil or butter?

#128 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

don't even tell me you're gonna stop cookin too.

raw, vegan.

kill me now :lol:

#129 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

CC i promise, i'll never stop cooking. i LOVE to cook, and have grown to love it even more as i stretch my wings a bit.

i love eating raw (giggety!) but that will never be my go-to. raw makes me feel amazing, but i love cooking too much to ever give it up. we do incorporate a LOT of raw veg into our meals, though.

i haven't had any issues in the last week in cooking without oil. but we did buy a ceramic pan for those times when we want to sear something without grill marks. i haven't used it yet, but probably will tonight for the cauliflower dish i'm making.

if you give me specific examples i can answer more accurately. it just hasn't been an issue yet.

#130 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

while i found food over knives glossed over inconsistencies, and i wasn't impressed with singularly oriented surveys and study, i have dramatically changed and continue to change my diet to better reflect the premise of the flick.

i've eliminated almost all sources of animal protein, though put a nice plate of sashimi in front of me and watch it disappear (i will also try butch's home made bacon). with the exception of a little aged cheese, i don't do dairy. i've also eliminate most processed foods, especially those that use refined sugar and/or white flour. eggs...whites only, with a very occasional plate of scrambled (three whites/one yolk). likewise, pasta is also a rare treat.

fortunately i love veggies, legumes, fruits, brown rice and black coffee. :)

#131 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

while i found food over knives glossed over inconsistencies, and i wasn't impressed with singularly oriented surveys and study, i have dramatically changed and continue to change my diet to better reflect the premise of the flick.

i've eliminated almost all sources of animal protein, though put a nice plate of sashimi in front of me and watch it disappear (i will also try butch's home made bacon). with the exception of a little aged cheese, i don't do dairy. i've also eliminated most processed foods, especially those that use refined sugar and/or white flour. eggs...usually whites only, with a very occasional plate of scrambled (three whites/one yolk). likewise, pasta is also a rare treat.

fortunately i love veggies, legumes, fruits, brown rice and black coffee. :)

Wow! awesome, Cur! :cheerleader:

#132 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

CC i promise, i'll never stop cooking. i LOVE to cook, and have grown to love it even more as i stretch my wings a bit.

i love eating raw (giggety!) but that will never be my go-to. raw makes me feel amazing, but i love cooking too much to ever give it up. we do incorporate a LOT of raw veg into our meals, though.

i haven't had any issues in the last week in cooking without oil. but we did buy a ceramic pan for those times when we want to sear something without grill marks. i haven't used it yet, but probably will tonight for the cauliflower dish i'm making.

if you give me specific examples i can answer more accurately. it just hasn't been an issue yet.

you can come cook for me, please :cheesy:

what do you, say, stir fry with? water? I used sesame and olive oil sometimes - wouldn't know what to replace it with

#133 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

black coffee. :)

As long as it's good coffee, I always taken it black, so not an issue for me, too.

#134 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Feelin' a weak moment. Gonna walk next door and grab a coupla slices.

Happy Cheegan Wednesday everyboardie!

#135 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Belay that...goin' with Amy's Veggie Enchiladas instead. :)

#136 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

And then I succumbed to a package of Combos in the afternoon. :lol:

Sinner. That's what I am.

#137 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

We need to talk.

#138 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

oh, wait, I had some peanut M&Ms today.

#139 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Buncha sinners...

#140 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

you can come cook for me, please :cheesy:

what do you, say, stir fry with? water? I used sesame and olive oil sometimes - wouldn't know what to replace it with

veggie broth.

i had a slice of pizza the first day our town got power back, and Jason had a Subway sandwich (veggie burger and veg, no cheese). oops.

#141 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

Yeah. This was not what you would call a vegend...

#142 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

vegend?

oh man...so Jason's parents are living with us now, and could conceivably be here for a year or more when all is said and done. i love them dearly and couldn't be happier that we are in a position to help THEM for once after all they've done for us...believe me, i'm grateful for that opportunity.

but they bring this mix of the crappiest and most tempting foods into our home. diet soda (which tempts neither of us). cold cuts. Italian bread. sunday gravy with meatballs and sausage. coffee. cheese. milk. ravioli. pizza. beef macaroni...and it's only Day 4 :lol:

tonight, i came home from work and found Entenmann's chocolate eclairs on the counter :lol: Jason ate one.

i know i have it in me to resist these things, and i've done pretty well so far, with the exception of the mug of homemade chicken broth i had yesterday when i was sick and feverish and none of our veggie stuff was tempting me in the slightest. i won't beat myself up for that...but this is one thing we're just not going to meet in the middle about and it's going to be a challenge for me to resist some old favorites when our new habits are so, well, NEW to me. they aren't habit yet, and every day we're faced with things that sorely tempt us but that we KNOW we can't keep eating.

if i took any strength at all from belief in a deity, i'd surely be saying the Serenity Prayer right now.

Dr. Esselstyn, give me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change...

#143 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Vegend - vegan weekend, in my mind. :)

Not this weekend. Nope. Long before the corn and cheddar chowder I made yesterday it wasn't a vegan weekend.

Dr. Esselstyn, give me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change...

:clap:

#144 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

vegend? oh man...so Jason's parents are living with us now, and could conceivably be here for a year or more when all is said and done. i love them dearly and couldn't be happier that we are in a position to help THEM for once after all they've done for us...believe me, i'm grateful for that opportunity. but they bring this mix of the crappiest and most tempting foods into our home. diet soda (which tempts neither of us). cold cuts. Italian bread. sunday gravy with meatballs and sausage. coffee. cheese. milk. ravioli. pizza. beef macaroni...and it's only Day 4 :lol: tonight, i came home from work and found Entenmann's chocolate eclairs on the counter :lol: Jason ate one. i know i have it in me to resist these things, and i've done pretty well so far, with the exception of the mug of homemade chicken broth i had yesterday when i was sick and feverish and none of our veggie stuff was tempting me in the slightest. i won't beat myself up for that...but this is one thing we're just not going to meet in the middle about and it's going to be a challenge for me to resist some old favorites when our new habits are so, well, NEW to me. they aren't habit yet, and every day we're faced with things that sorely tempt us but that we KNOW we can't keep eating. if i took any strength at all from belief in a deity, i'd surely be saying the Serenity Prayer right now. Dr. Esselstyn, give me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change...

oh my - tricky!

seems it wouldn't be appropriate to say anything but maybe as you lead by example, they'll catch on?

#145 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Why would you want to replace sesame or olive oil with water? Or anything? For stir fry? Seriously? :dunno: There's being healthy and then there's being ridiculous. It's ok to cook. It's ok to use olive oil.

Not to take away from anyone's veggie/vegan/raw quest - whatever you want to do, good for you - but there was a recent study published in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that basically concluded that we could not have evolved to have the larger and higher brain functions that we do without cooking. Quote: "humans would have to spend more than 9 hours a day eating to get enough energy from unprocessed raw food alone to support our large brains"

Take it for what it's worth...

http://news.sciencem...ig-.html?ref=hp

#146 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

CC - no, i wouldn't ever ask them to change their diet while they're with us. just venting here because my hands are kinda tied in this situation. it did come up in conversation today with Arlene (MIL) when she asked me if i was able to eat at a restaurant (she wanted to take me out to lunch). i think she gets it a bit more now...that we're unlikely to make the extreme changes we were planning as long as they're bringing things like eclairs into the house, but that in the end, that is OUR decision and we're not asking them to do anything differently.

Sean - a couple of points. some people's bodies do not regulate cholesterol no matter how little of it they consume, or how they balance with good fats. take Jason for instance...he's been a vegetarian for 16+ years, ingests very little dairy. yet his cholesterol has been dangerously high since he was a kid. it's genetic, and the only dependable way to lower this is to cut out all fats.

it's not ridiculous to avoid taking medication when a dietary change can make the difference.

second point: we all know people who have lived on an entirely raw food diet for years and years now. they are no less intelligent than you or i. they may eat more often, but that's recommended for many people anyway. they certainly do not spend 9+ hours a day at it, and if they did, isn't that their choice?

#147 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'm not advocating against a raw diet. Or vegan one. Or otherwise. But I found the study interesting. I certainly know plenty of people on a raw diet and they don't eat 9 hrs a day. Everyone is different. I think the major implication of the study is that we would not have evolved to be where we are on a raw diet - not that an individual cannot thrive on one now.

In terms of oils and cholesterol, I didn't know that about Jason. I agree that diet changes >>> medication. I've known a few people with that problem. One woman friend comes to mind and she was a vegan and a tri-athlete. Weighed about 115 lbs and all muscle. Did everything right - diet, meditation, low stress job... - and her cholesterol was still through the roof. She had a heart attack before 40, despite all her good efforts at being healthy. She had to resign to taking meds after that. Not suggesting that Jason should do that, but since he knows it's a problem hopefully he has it monitored regularly. At least then there's a record of whether or not lifestyle changes are helping or not so he can weigh the options.

:heart:

#148 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

Why would you want to replace sesame or olive oil with water? Or anything? For stir fry? Seriously? :dunno: There's being healthy and then there's being ridiculous. It's ok to cook. It's ok to use olive oil.

Hi Seany, I plan to continue using oils I was just curious as to what Thug is using as an alternative

Not to take away from anyone's veggie/vegan/raw quest - whatever you want to do, good for you - but there was a recent study published in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that basically concluded that we could not have evolved to have the larger and higher brain functions that we do without cooking. Quote: "humans would have to spend more than 9 hours a day eating to get enough energy from unprocessed raw food alone to support our large brains"

Take it for what it's worth...

http://news.sciencem...ig-.html?ref=hp

"One answer came in the late 1990s when Harvard University primatologist Richard Wrangham proposed that the brain began to expand rapidly 1.6 million to 1.8 million years ago in our ancestor, Homo erectus, because this early human learned how to roast meat and tuberous root vegetables over a fire. Cooking, Wrangham argued, effectively predigested the food, making it easier and more efficient for our guts to absorb calories more rapidly. Since then, he and his colleagues have shown in lab studies of rodents and pythons that these animals grow up bigger and faster when they eat cooked meat instead of raw meat—and that it takes less energy to digest cooked meat than raw meat."

Sean, this is looking at raw versus cooked meat, not raw plant based diet versus cooked animal based diet?

I'm not sharing anything new here by mentioning that today's meat is full of gmo corn, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics..contains high levels of cancer causing dioxins, and increases our risk of heart attack and a host of other life threatening illnesses. So even if these results are accurate, the cooked or raw meat people are eating today... well, those same people would be much healthier on a vegan, raw diet. no doubt in my mind (admittedly, there are more dietary options than the above either-or scenario)

"Eating a raw food diet is a recipe for disaster if you're trying to boost your species' brainpower."

but to continue to eat the foods people are currently eating is a recipe for disaster for our health care system and our lifespan.

In regard to raw: I, personally, have no intention of going raw. And, actually, to bolster the original point of your post: this article below does reveal research that cooking veggies is advantageous (except when it comes to vitamin C, which breaks down when heated, something of which I wasn't aware). http://www.scientifi...s-are-healthier

But I'd still like to see "brainpower" results of a study that pits a raw vegan diet up against a cooked omnivore diet.

"That's because humans would have to spend more than 9 hours a day eating to get enough energy from unprocessed raw food alone to support our large brains, according to a new study that calculates the energetic costs of growing a bigger brain or body in primates."

This seems like a ridiculous claim.

But our ancestors managed to get enough energy to grow brains that have three times as many neurons as those in apes such as gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans. How did they do it? They got cooking, according to a study published online today in the Proceedings of the
In a new test of this cooking hypothesis, Herculano-Houzel and her graduate student, Karina Fonseca-Azevedo, now a neuroscientist at the National Institute of Translational Neuroscience in São Paulo, Brazil, decided to see if a diet of raw food inherently put limits on how large a primate's brain or body could grow. First, they counted the number of neurons in the brains of 13 species of primates (and more than 30 species of mammals). The researchers found two things: One, that brain size is directly linked to the number of neurons in a brain; and two, that that the number of neurons is directly correlated to the amount of energy (or calories) needed to feed a brain."

is this suggesting more calories makes for a larger brain, which makes for a more intelligent person? With 1 in 5 Americans now considered obese, we must be turning into geniuses :lol:

There were several interesting comments that followed the article. One points out that there were time periods, before man discovered cooking, in which brain size rapidly increased.

"separating correlation and causation is a notoriously sticky task. What the PNAS article suggests is that the energy required to maintain a modern human (Homo sapiens) brain based on our body size should have placed an evolutionary limit on how large the brains of our ancestors could have become without somehow getting more calories. To get up to the levels of energy use in our current brains, the author suggests that cooking foods, which makes the calories in those foods more readily digestible and available for use, was the technology that allowed the fairly rapid expansion from the Homo erectus size brain to the Neanderthal and modern human sized brain. However, this does not account for the other earlier expansion from Australopithecus and Panthropus to the roughly doubled brain size in Homo antecessor and Homo erectus. Presumably that sudden rise in brain size came along with other advances over early simians -- in that case, I would speculate that social and communicative developments may have allowed for more efficient collection of foods or for harvesting of higher energy foods (nuts, meats, etc.). Bottom line: we may not be able to say with certainty that the second increase from Homo erectus to modern human relied on cooking, but it is a bit of coincidence that development of cooking seems to precede the rapid increase in brain size to a degree that should otherwise be extremely difficult to maintain."

could there be a confounding variable? for example: shift in community relations? communication? parenting? Might have little to do with this, but I recently showed a video featuring a developmental psychologist who studies the effect that a lack of love has on child development. MRI scans reveal that kids who lack attention and nurturing have smaller brains, less neurons, and larger ventricular gaps in their brains than kids who are shown more attention. Seems there is more involved in brain size and development than calories.

Anyway, I'm rambling and I'm not sure if I made any sense (as I haven't the first clue about evolutionary theory) regardless, your post is interesting.

#149 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

i just watched food inc. it served as a good reminder and didn't flip me out, but mostly because i'm familiar with the premise and had already changed my diet accordingly.

#150 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,315 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

i just watched food inc. it served as a good reminder and didn't flip me out, but mostly because i'm familiar with the premise and had already changed my diet accordingly.

Love that movie.

Even though I lean hard to the vegetarian side of things, Joel Salatin and Will Allen are heroes of mine.