Forks over Knives

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#51 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

I'll have to check this movie out, almost ready to watch. I know when I do I prolly won't be able to eat much, if any meat. :undecided:

Malcolm, Jaik was 42 as well. I bet a lot of deaths could be prevented by changing a few simple habits. Thanks for the links Chia Pet. :) :gop:

#52 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Malcolm is sending back my copy. I promised it to my cousin next but I have a feeling it will take her a while to watch it and get it back to me. I will send it to you first, Kris? I'll include a return/stamped envelop and you can get it right back to me. deal?

#53 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

In the meantime, check out Food Matters, which is the post right before yours :smile:

#54 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

"Meat is the new tobacco"

The West's three biggest killers -- heart disease, cancer, and stroke -- are linked to excessive animal product consumption, and vegetarians have much lower risks of all three. Vegetarians also have a fraction of the obesity and diabetes rates of the general population -- of course, both diseases are at epidemic levels and are only getting worse.

But much more important than the vegetarian community's general statistics are what can be done with the right vegetarian diet: For some years now, doctors have been not just preventing, but even reversing, heart disease using a low-fat vegetarian diet.

That's right -- the disease that kills almost as many Americans as everything else combined can be not just prevented, but reversed, with a low fat plant-based diet, as documented by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn in Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.

There's a link from animal product consumption to our country's No. 2 killer, too: According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, about as much cancer could be prevented by diet and exercise as is caused by smoking -- and you know what's causing all that cancer? It's not whole grains, legumes, fruits, or vegetables. Dr. T. Colin Campbell has documented the link between cancer and animal products.

http://www.huffingto..._b_1316222.html

#55 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:40 AM

I'll have to check this movie out, almost ready to watch. I know when I do I prolly won't be able to eat much, if any meat. :undecided:

Malcolm, Jaik was 42 as well. I bet a lot of deaths could be prevented by changing a few simple habits. Thanks for the links Chia Pet. :) :gop:

Kris,
I was already vegetarian when I watched it. (for all of 3 months ). Watching it convinced me to go vegan. I have also changed my kids diet.
I truly believe this movie will save lives.
I an very thankful to China for this

#56 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

:smile:

Kris, I just sent Food Inc, Food Matters, and Forks over Knives to my cousin. She promised to have them back to me within two weeks. I will then send them to you. :rose:

#57 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Sounds good dear. :) I think I need a hefty bacon fix at SC before viewing. :lol:

#58 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

NO!!!!

#59 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

About 70 percent of the calories in an egg are from fat. Eggs also have a surprising load of “bad” (saturated) fat along with it. Saturated fat causes the liver to produce more cholesterol, which in turn increases the risk for cardiovascular disease.
One average-size egg contains 212 milligrams of cholesterol. This is more cholesterol than the 2010 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee recommends people eat in an entire day.1 An egg contains more cholesterol than a McDonald’s Quarter Pounder with Cheese, which contains an excessive 94 milligrams of cholesterol. Every 100 milligrams of cholesterol in your daily diet adds roughly five points to your cholesterol level—although this varies from person to person.

http://pcrm.org/medi...uncover-factory

#60 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

[quote name='china cat']About 70 percent of the calories in an egg are from fat. Eggs also have a surprising load of

#61 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

Hi Jen

I don't know a ton about eggs (other than they really stink :lol:) and I do remmeber taking an animal science course where they sang the praises of eggs. I know that they have important nutrients. My concern is that while you're getting those nutrients you're also taking in lots of unhealthy too.

In regard to lutein: you can get plenty from other sources (corn actually has more lutein than an egg. other sources: kiwi, spinach, grapes, zucchini, pumpkin, peppers, cucumbers, peas). Eating organic veggies will provide the same nutrients without the unhealthy aspects of the egg. http://bjo.bmj.com/c....expansion.html

choline I had not heard of. I looked it up. Cauliflower, tofo, collard greens, almonds, navy beans... are sources of it.

#62 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

NO!!!!

YES!!! :tongue:

#63 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

what i'm trying to say cc, is that they're really not as unhealthy as people think & w/ their wealth of highly concentrated nutrients their totally worth the little bit of saturated fat that's in them imo. yes, you can get choline & lutein from plant sources, but you'd have to eat a ton of them for what you can get in just one egg.

some links on choline i found after a quick search...

http://www.naturalne...holesterol.html
http://www.naturalne...ion_health.html
http://www.whfoods.c...utrient&dbid=50
http://lowcarbdiets....n/a/choline.htm

i just want the world to love eggs :funny1:
in all seriousness i'd like people to realize that they're not as devilish as once thought, but we can all just agree to disagree :smile:

#64 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

in all seriousness i'd like people to realize that they're not as devilish as once thought, but we can all just agree to disagree :smile:

Not even Deviled Eggs?:huh:

#65 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Not even Deviled Eggs?:huh:

wouldn't YOU like to know :devil:

duh...should of thought that before posting, but i never think of "deviled eggs" because i find them repulsive :lol:

#66 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

I've never had one....:dunno:

#67 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

you're not missing anything...trust me, they're gross :lol:

#68 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

I've never had one....:dunno:

They're freaking awesome, not repulsive (if made properly)! :D Sorry jnjn. :)

#69 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Chia Pet, what the hell is left to eat if we put you in charge? :lol:

BTW, I have been going to the farm stand market the past two weeks. Much cheaper than the grocery store for the veggies and stuff. :)

#70 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

Chia Pet, what the hell is left to eat if we put you in charge? :lol:

BTW, I have been going to the farm stand market the past two weeks. Much cheaper than the grocery store for the veggies and stuff. :)

salad :lol:

no srsly, I just went to dinner. I had a beet and spinach salad, side of mashed potato, and a portabella with roasted red pepper stuffing. i'm full :rose:

had white bean soup for lunch

I made a big dinner the other night: roasted butternut squash, cauliflower, brussle sprouts, grilled asparagus. delish!!!!

in the morning steel cut oats with fruit ... or tofu scramble...

I have bought eggs (Wit can attest to my egg breakfasts :smile:) but I would only buy from local farmers. I really only buy them if someone is coming to visit me, so I have breakfast for them, which equals about one dozen purchased per month but that's on its way out too. cauliflower for breakfast everyone :lol:)

Please don't buy typical grocery store eggs! Today's factory farmed eggs do not have the same nutritional value (not even close)and the birds are treated horribly.

#71 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

KrisNYG,

I was a serious carnivore all my life. Last November I realized that I prolly had never gone 2 days without eating meat. It has now been over 100, and I'm never hungry. I eat more often, snack on nuts, etc.

I never thought I would be able to do it, but it is really very easy...

#72 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

Believe it our not I was vegetarian (still ate seafood so not a true vegetarian) for five+ years. I have thought about heading back that way a while before Miss Pushy Pants started saying all things yummy were bad. :gop: :lol: I'll probably head back that way soon without putting a label on my food status, ie if I really want something I'll eat it.

p.s. Chia Pet, I will duct tape bacon to your forehead if you try to make me feel guilty for eating what I want. You know I can do it especially since I outweigh you. :tongue::lol:

#73 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hi Kris

I thought I remember you saying you had been veg.

Honestly, I don't say anything about people's choice when they eat it in front of me. not my place. just post here and facebook hoping to introduce and convert. i do it this way 'cause you can ignore me if you want :lol:. f2f is confrontation, especially when unsolicited. you'll never hear me critique your bacon while you're enjoying it :smile: But now having 6 veg converts, I will not stop posting because it is changing lives. I'll embrace pushy status for that. :Phishfolk:

#74 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

They're freaking awesome, not repulsive (if made properly)! :D Sorry jnjn. :)

i just don't like cooked yolks so i avoid them at all costs :lol:

#75 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

:lol: Aw, I could never ignore you. (((Pushy Pants))) :kiss:

I could see there being a texture issue with the cooked yolk jnjn.

#76 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Kris, Documentaries should get to you within a week :bigsmile:

#77 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

@ China Cat, I forget the thread but last year I debated your stance on sharing info about the harm done to animals and how it will not change people until they are ready. Fast forward a few months and now both my mother and sister are vegans......it worked! I'm still kicking along not eating dead animals and working on not using their biproducts....

#78 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

yay! it's a thread in this forum.

i'm getting converts in droves. woohoo.

we're gonna work on gary, krisnyg, and karen next :evil grin:

#79 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

how come i can't paste a youtube?

#80 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

how come i can't paste a youtube?

http://www.gathering...__fromsearch__1

#81 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Oh boy, movies! :D I'll be on the look out for them. Do any of them have footage of slaughterhouses? I would like to know before viewing. Thanks. :)

#82 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Oh boy, movies! :D I'll be on the look out for them. Do any of them have footage of slaughterhouses? I would like to know before viewing. Thanks. :)

They shoot horses, don't they? ;)

#83 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hi Kris

No animal cruelty brought up - only health related issues. I'm sending Food Inc, Food Matters, and Forks over Knives.

Just ordered an additional copy of each so I can keep 'em circulating.

Plants!!!! Yay!!! Pigs!!! nay!!!!!

#84 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Cool, thanks! :thup: :)

#85 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

http://www.gathering...__fromsearch__1

#86 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,549 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

pink slime ur face

#87 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

http://youtu.be/3MvAM97VDE8

::clapping:

#88 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

OK biatch, you've got me drinking almond milk now :tapfoot:

#89 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

eww, i hate almond milk. lulz

mama, you're on my target list too. just sayin :bigsmile:

#90 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

dammit I watched forks last night :headbang: :lol:

#91 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

yay!!!!!!!!

wait, you mean you watched the documentary?

#92 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

yes. and I actually am digging the almond milk - vanilla flavor. But I just use a dot in my coffee so it's not saying much. Cutting out butter & cheese is another thing :crook:

#93 mayfly

mayfly
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

yeah - you really can't watch that movie without at the very least question your current diet. Butter was really easy for me, I love olive oil and enjoy the taste more then butter. I think there are yogurt spreads that emulate margarine / bitter also out there. Cheese was hard at first but nutritional yeast has a nutty cheesy flavor and is my main substitue but I have also found vegan motzarella, swiss and parmesean at the health food stores and even the organic section of my local Giant food store.

If I can make it to strangecreek this year we'll get a chance to try out some vegan grilling as well ! tempeh hot wings, falafels and veggie burgers with fake cheese :bigsmile: maybe you can sneak a fake chicken wing past Frank

#94 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

We love olive oil too -and falafels are our favorite thing to eat in this house!! Frank was actually a vegetarian for longer than me, back in the day - so he's not the tough one. My kids, the dairy LOVERS, are another story....one step at a time.

Since we have never really eaten a lot of meat, that isn't hard. They already like fake ground beef in chili, burritos etc. they LOVE salad. their favorite lunch of choice is raw veg w/ salad dressing or hummus, apples dipped in peanut butter & cheese. They're not big meat eaters. But even my lactose intolerant child eats cheese & yogurt by the pound!

Thanks for the tips. we'll stop by to taste some vegan grilling at Strangecreek :bouncey:

#95 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:37 AM

watch for free!!! one more day

http://www.hungryfor...online-premiere

#96 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

#97 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'll have to check this movie out, almost ready to watch. I know when I do I prolly won't be able to eat much, if any meat. :undecided: Malcolm, Jaik was 42 as well. I bet a lot of deaths could be prevented by changing a few simple habits. Thanks for the links Chia Pet. :) :gop:

ARE WE CLOSE TO ANOTHER CONVERT?!?!? :bouncey:

#98 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Not a full on convert but it has reinforced my decision to make healthier choices. :)

#99 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,808 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

ARE WE CLOSE TO ANOTHER CONVERT?!?!? :bouncey:

Coming from a family of missionaries- this made me throw up in my mouth. :lol:

#100 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:36 PM