• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

As some of you know, 46 days ago I embarked on a journey to start really working out and changing my life to be a healthier fitter me. After doing Jillian Michaels 30day shred. I lost 7lbs, 1 belt buckle Size tighter, and gained over all strength/stamina. I also ran my 1st 5k race and worked my running distance from 4 miles to 5 miles. Along with improving my miles from 12 to 13 min miles to around 11 min miles.

In the past my discouragement from finding a successful path has always been lack of results. Also not being educated enough in what I need to achieve my goal. I've generally eat well but always felt lost when it came to working out. For once I now feel I am on track.

Today will be the 1st day of a new video Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. I figure if 30 day shred video showed results, so will this.

#2 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

Good for you Joe! I'm glad you've found a new program- hope it's as good for you as the 30 Day Shred was. :dance::clapping:

#3 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

It's been good so far. I'm on day 8 which mean 2 more workout till part 2 of this new vid. I find these workouts get boring after 7 days. The results are awesome but I feel I will be looking for new vids all the time. My next video will be the P90 workout and then P90x. If I keep this up I'll be in shape in no time. Just 20 more lbs to go.

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

:clapping:

#5 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

I was going to suggest P90 to you next- those are killer, and there's some good variety so you won't get too bored.

#6 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

Now I have weird question. I've been working out for 2 months on a regular basis and I'm starting to notice some changes. Even though I'm not skinny I think I'm starting to see some definition in my mid section. The question is more can you have definition with a bit of belly fat over it? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I think I'm starting to see a base for a 6 pack.

#7 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:41 PM

Yes you can! Before everything went to heck for me, I used to say I had muscles of steel underneath a soft exterior.

#8 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:45 PM

I'm down another pound this week :dance: and I'm feeling good about these workouts. I've never really gave it my all with working out. I don't know if it's a good thing but these body changes, along with strength are pretty motivating in there own way.

#9 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

Today I hit my half point in my getting healthy loosing weight lifestyle change. So far 20lbs down, I am now officially out of the 190's, ran Five 10min miles down from 12min miles, and I am feeling good. This weekend I a have 5k at this music festival I'm going too which should be interesting. It's going to be a bit different doing a trail run. Regardless it will still be fun.

In all I am actually excited about my progress. Funny how working out and eating right actually works.

#10 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

Glad your getting results from all work!

#11 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

good to hear man.. I'm getting to the point where i need to switch somethign up and get on a course, myself.

#12 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

You inspire me!

#13 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

good to hear man.. I'm getting to the point where i need to switch somethign up and get on a course, myself.

Ha, yeah I hear that. My biggest issue was beer. As you know I'm a huge fan of micro brews. I've had to cut down on that and stick to lighter beers like Fat Tire and Long Trail Ale.

You inspire me!

Awesome, you saying that actually does the same for me. It's not easy sticking with this stuff, but knowing that I'm inspiring people by my simple actions is motivation enough.

good for you !
I, too, have been incorporating some changes diet-wise and exercise-wise
getting results is the best motivation ever !

Thanks, and your right results have become a real push for me, especially on days when I don't want to work out. I keep telling myself it's only 30mins of my day, it's not asking much. Get off your ass and do it.

#14 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

On a side note I ran my 1st trail run 5k this weekend. It was a little nuts running the single trail paths and especially the inclines. I had to basically run up a steep hill more then half the race. thankfully most of it was switch backs. The down hill part was nuts. There was no way to run it. Over all I felt I did well. What was really nuts is I did it a bit hung over from the night before. Being at a festival and running a 5k in all was new experience that I want to do again. Plus also meeting other people running the race who were also at the festival lead to some good conversations. I really had a good time over all.

As an added bonus I actually ate relatively healthy at the festival. Most of the time I use to use festivals as an excuse to eat more then i usually do and most of all junk food that I don't normally eat. Not this time. I was good about my portions. Most of all I was good about my choices with what I ate. I really enjoyed all the local organic food that was offered. It was a nice change from the fast food crap that usually exists at festivals.

Posted Image
10/08/2011 16th Annual Blue Ridge Burn 5K, Roseland, VA
Place: 63/90 No: 530 Net Time: 40:31.1 Pace: 12:59

#15 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

Congratulations!

Finishing your first trail run is a WIN to begin with.

#16 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

Great job! You're doing awesome- I don't know if I'd have it in me to run a 5K while at a festival. :clapping:

#17 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,854 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

That's awesome, Joe! Congratulations!

#18 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

It's been a bit since I posted last. 2 weeks ago I decided to take a well need break from my diet and fitness, to help give my body rest. Also with starting my 1st MBA class I needed a week to figure out my study schedule and what not. Last week I felt my time off. Day 1 I was a bit sore. By day 2 I was back in action. Out of 7 days I wound up working out 5 and running 1 day.

I decided since I am running the Marine Corp 10k next weekend Saturday was a good day to finally do a 6 miler. The only problem was I've never ran 6 miles before. About 5 miles in I realized 1 mile more really wasn't anything, pushed myself, and finished 6.2 miles with no problem. My legs felt like jello after the run but I felt really good about it overall. This coming Sunday's 10k will be a snap, especially with all those other people around me running. I just have to remember to keep my pace.

#19 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

Yesterday was a big day for me. I ran my 1st 10k and I actually did better then I expected. A nice bonus was, I felt I could even go further when I was done. I'm really happy I did this race, it has shown me that all my working out is making a difference. 3 months ago I couldn't even imagine running 6.2 miles. Here I was not only running this race but ran 11min miles. And yep I dressed up for the race. Even though I one of few, it was still fun dressing up in the crowd of runners.

10/30/2011 Finished My 1st 10k, Marine Corp 10k, Arlington, VA
No: 44758 Net Time: 1:11:23 Pace: 11:49
Posted Image

#20 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Awesome! Good for you, Joe. :clapping:

#21 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,873 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

nice! congrats on the 10k, joe!

#22 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

So here I am 2 weeks later from the race and I'm finally getting back into my workout routine. Lately life has been really busy with school, work, moving, and what not. Working out has taken a sort of a 2 week break. Last week I checked out a few video's to see which was next on my list. I decided on Tony Horton's Power 90 + Power 90 Master Series before I jump into P90X. So far I have to say Tony is a great video instructor. I like his relaxed attitude, while still pushing you during the workouts. He's 1000 times better then Gillian and not annoying which is a huge bonus. I'm looking forward to this 90 days of pushing myself.

On a side note I just signed up for a 8k race in December. It should be an easy one for me since I normally run 5 miles anyways.

#23 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

Moving and working out do not mix. Unfortunately my life has become so disorganized I have no time or space to work out. All these box's all over my new apartment have been a huge damper on my workout schedule. Since I moved this past Sunday, I've been able to have 0 workouts and as it looks I wont be able to at least run till Thursday and Friday. I can't wait for my life to be back in order.

#24 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

Exercise is always the first thing to fall off the radar when life gets busy! Hope you get settled in your new place and can exercise again soon.