53 replies to this topic

#1 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

The GOP's Genius Plan to Beat Obama in 2012

Posted Image Pete Souza/White House photo
If Pennsylvania Republicans and their buddies in other states execute a plan to change election rules, Obama has a one-way ticket to Losertown.

#2 alsoa

alsoa

Drunk

• VibeTribe
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

Why do you never even bother to format these things after you paste them? Nobody is going to read that.

#3 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

Why do you never even bother to format these things after you paste them? Nobody is going to read that.

1. I don't think you understand how I copy paste.
2. I don't agree that "Nobody is going to read that." Some won't ever open the thread. Some will open the thread and respond without reading :lol: Some will read.

#4 alsoa

alsoa

Drunk

• VibeTribe
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

1. CTRL-C/CTRL-V
2. Nobody is reading that.

#5 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

I read it.

We really need to lose the electoral college system. It's ridiculous.

#6 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,396 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

time to disband the electoral college, that's what this means. it's overdue anyway. direct voting is the only way to avoid this...as if that would EVER happen. :lol:

#7 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

Unless the Republicans trot out another really true moron, they'll get the majority of the votes anyway.
Of course, since its all fixed anyway, they just might trot that moron out there.

#8 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:39 PM

runoff voting.

#9 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,162 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

tl;dr

#10 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

That large pool of democratic party candidates is in real trouble.
Gotta love the mother jone's spin cycle.

#11 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

I read it.

We really need to lose the electoral college system. It's ridiculous.

Oh, I agree. One of the tragedies of the 21st century has been that the will of the American people was taken away in the 2000 election.

The American people voted for Al Gore, and we are in the shape we are in because of what was stolen by the Supreme Court, and that would not have happened if we elected the president by popular vote.

#12 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

time to disband the electoral college, that's what this means. it's overdue anyway. direct voting is the only way to avoid this...as if that would EVER happen. :lol:

This plan does nothing to disband the electoral college

#13 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

Oh, I agree. One of the tragedies of the 21st century has been that the will of the American people was taken away in the 2000 election.

The American people voted for Al Gore, and we are in the shape we are in because of what was stolen by the Supreme Court, and that would not have happened if we elected the president by popular vote.

Well, that, and the shitty campaign he ran making it even close when it shouldn't have been.

#14 robberry

robberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

Formated. :pimp:

http://motherjones.c...beat-obama-2012

The electoral college symbolizes that Americans are idiots, and don't know "how" or "who" to vote for. When you're voting, you're voting to "encourage" the college to vote your way. It should be a popular vote, despite how that affects any political party.

#15 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

Posted Image

#16 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 33,657 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

Posted Image

#17 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,396 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

This plan does nothing to disband the electoral college

i realize this. perhaps i wasn't clear in saying "this article highlights the need to disband the Electoral College".

The electoral college symbolizes that Americans are idiots, and don't know "how" or "who" to vote for. When you're voting, you're voting to "encourage" the college to vote your way. It should be a popular vote, despite how that affects any political party.

exactly. idiots. :lol:

#18 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

I have a lot of issues with the EC as it is currently constituted, but without something representative, like it, someone could be elected president simply by winning a few large cities and ignore the rest of the nation. This could lead to even more fragmentation than already exists.

#19 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

Maybe more fragmentation is what we need. Split into the Democratic States of America and the Republican States of America. Dibbs New York State for the DSA. ;)

#20 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Can you imagine the sports championships? Epic.

#21 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:12 PM

I have a lot of issues with the EC as it is currently constituted, but without something representative, like it, someone could be elected president simply by winning a few large cities and ignore the rest of the nation. This could lead to even more fragmentation than already exists.

States like New York, Mass. and even Cali. are largely ignored now in the general election.

#22 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:14 PM

Maybe more fragmentation is what we need. Split into the Democratic States of America and the Republican States of America. Dibbs New York State for the DSA. ;)

Without the EC, we would probably split into Urbania (the megalopolis on both coasts) and Otherland.

#23 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:17 PM

Without the EC, we would probably split into Urbania (the megalopolis on both coasts) and Otherland.

But we get all our food from Otherland.

#24 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Perhaps its better to have a population that hasn't been hit by the propaganda machines from both parties making their decisions based on the stated and registered (by voting record) positions of the candidates, rather than who spent more money on commercials.

#25 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,162 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

So you're saying we should disband the EC and just make Ron Paul the President? I am down with that.

#26 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:21 PM

GOP really doesn't have to do much to beat him as Obama continues to alienate those who voted him in and his poll numbers continue to look horrible.

So basically one state is doing something that is completely legal as well as constitutionally allowed and other states "could" do the same and these folks are upset because the Democrats can't "retaliate"

Damn, the blaming, crying and excuses are starting early.

#27 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:21 PM

Why would the republicans want to oust their guy though? :dunno:

#28 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

GOP really doesn't have to do much to beat him as Obama continues to alienate those who voted him in and his poll numbers continue to look horrible.

So basically one state is doing something that is completely legal as well as constitutionally allowed and other states "could" do the same and these folks are upset because the Democrats can't "retaliate"

Damn, the blaming, crying and excuses are starting early.

His numbers are one thing. The election is something else. There are many democrats who are unsatisfied with Obama but would not elect a GOP candidate. These numbers mean nothing at this point. They don't bode well for Obama, true, but that doesn't mean people won't vote for him.

Just because something is legal does not make it right. It's gerrymandering .

#29 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,162 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

The truth of the matter is that lolBrahma is such a good speaker that he will mop up whatever moran the Repubs throw out there. Including Ron Paul because his ideas are too radical for your average sheep. It really doesn’t matter. It’s all about the show.

#30 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

:dunno:

#31 bigtoddy

bigtoddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

I'm 100% in agreement with electoral college being 1 vote per congressional district, plus 2 per state for the overall win.

My only beef comes from the partisan redistricting. That should not be in the hands of politicians.

These two positions I have held for many years.

#32 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

:funny1:

His numbers are one thing. The election is something else. There are many democrats who are unsatisfied with Obama but would not elect a GOP candidate. These numbers mean nothing at this point. They don't bode well for Obama, true, but that doesn't mean people won't vote for him.

Just because something is legal does not make it right. It's gerrymandering .

It's nothing that hasn't been done before by both sides.

Hell wasn't it just a couple of years ago that Mass Dems went out and blatantly changed the law just to try and get a Democrat in Kennedy's old seat?

#33 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,052 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

I'm 100% in agreement with electoral college being 1 vote per congressional district, plus 2 per state for the overall win.

My only beef comes from the partisan redistricting. That should not be in the hands of politicians.

These two positions I have held for many years.

But don'tyou think only in battleground states where popular vote has gone democratic is wrong?

But really, you're not for popular vote?

#34 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

It's "as genius a plan" as Obamas attempt to pass a bill before it got passed, by presidential edict..(or some other such political manoevering)..

So if it's a wise move by the Republicans, it's subject to ridicule...but if it's a wise plan by the Democrats, it's "what we need"?

#35 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 33,657 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image

#36 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,820 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

The GOP doesnt need a big plan to defeat Obama. He wasnt qualified to be President and it shows.

Dont blame me, I voted for Richardson.

#37 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,493 posts
  • Locationwinhall vermont

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

who cares who's on top?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,792 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:13 AM

Well, that, and the shitty campaign he ran making it even close when it shouldn't have been.

Seriously. How could Al Gore have invented the Internet and not been smart enough to run a decent enough campaign to trounce Bush in 2000? Talk about embarrassing :coffee:

I'm sure the Dems will find a way to roll over and play dead on this and then complain that they are a victim. I'm really getting tired of their Eunuch syndrome.

#39 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:03 AM

Except for a few(RonPaulBarneyFrank)they all are really the same.

#40 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:03 AM

Doesn't matter who's President. The next presidency will prove it further. Our political system at the National level is completely broken and I'm of the opinion that our current reality is going to last a long time. For me, I plan on that long time being the rest of my life and I hope to be here for 50 more years.

I don't think it's worth much of my time any more to follow what's going on in Washington. The elite have the power and popular vote won't change what they do. National politicians are puppets.

I'll focus on what's going on in Concord, NH instead and perhaps even more importantly, my own town; make sure my local community is on the right track. That's what will have the greatest impact on my life day to day. Fuck Washington.

#41 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

Except for a few(RonPaulBarneyFrank)they all are really the same.

So, a good office holder always has two first names?

#42 mug

mug
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

I love the electoral college system- pure genius by our founding fathers. The system works and makes for fair elections that represent the will of the country for the whole.

#43 halfstar

halfstar
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,162 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

Doesn't matter who's President. The next presidency will prove it further. Our political system at the National level is completely broken and I'm of the opinion that our current reality is going to last a long time. For me, I plan on that long time being the rest of my life and I hope to be here for 50 more years.

I don't think it's worth much of my time any more to follow what's going on in Washington. The elite have the power and popular vote won't change what they do. National politicians are puppets.

I'll focus on what's going on in Concord, NH instead and perhaps even more importantly, my own town; make sure my local community is on the right track. That's what will have the greatest impact on my life day to day. Fuck Washington.

/thread

I wouldn't say the system is broken. I would say people expect it to be something it is not.

#44 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,396 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

Posted Image

those look delicious. i wonder how the curry dip is?

#45 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 33,657 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

I'm guessing pretty f'n good.

#46 staggerlee024

staggerlee024
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

dan, could you post the link for this?

#47 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

http://motherjones.c...beat-obama-2012

#48 Arglebargle

Arglebargle
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

Look on the bright side, we get to watch the decline of an empire.

#49 drvic

drvic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

Look on the bright side, we get to watch the decline of an empire.

lulz

#50 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

someone could be elected president simply by winning a few large cities and ignore the rest of the nation.

Isn't that what happens (on a smaller scale) in Ohio.