Mumzie got a ragdoll cat

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

My MIL adopted a 2 year old ragdoll cat. The cat has been hiding, just coming out for food and litter box for the past week.

When I dropped by Mumzie's apartment the cat came out and was talking to me, meow meow meow, and marking every furniture leg that was in front of me. I sat on the sofa and the cat jumped next to me, almost touching me with her nose, then backed away. I refrained from reaching out to pet the cat because it seemed unsure and I didn't want to get torn up. So I just meowed back, good kitteh.

Now the MIL wants me to come over so the cat comes out of hiding. I hope in time the cat will want to sit on her lap and be brushed etc.

CAT people, do you think this cat could become friendly in time? Right now, maybe it's scared being in a new place.

#2 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

I would say give the cat some times to get used to living in a new place. Is Mumzie a cat person? It's interesting that the cat came to you right away but not Mumzie. I know you are an animal person and the cat probably sensed that right away...

#3 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

that is interesting. good luck. not sure what to think. the cat isn't so scared that it doesn't want to come out, it seems it only wants to come out for some people.

#4 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

I would say give the cat some times to get used to living in a new place. Is Mumzie a cat person? It's interesting that the cat came to you right away but not Mumzie. I know you are an animal person and the cat probably sensed that right away...

You are on to something, Mumzie is not a cat person. She wanted company with out having to walk a dog. Cats have always liked me. I was sitting in a friends yard once and to everyones surprise a ferel cat jumped in my lap, curled up and purred.

#5 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

that is interesting. good luck. not sure what to think. the cat isn't so scared that it doesn't want to come out, it seems it only wants to come out for some people.

:dunno: I think we need cat whisperer to train Mumzie :lol:

#6 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

ragdolls are super sweet, gentle and affectionate cats. I think the cat will totally come around but your MIL will need to put some good energy into the relationship!

#7 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

Tell Mumzie to step it up ;)

:heart:

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,224 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

Certainly sounds as though the cat will become friendly. :smile:

#9 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

I have faith in the kitteh. Her name is Diva.

I've been thinking Mumzie should try to play with the cat. Perhaps a fishing like string with feather or something at the end.
Being that she is a bit skittish now, that won't teach the cat to be aggressive will it?

:gop:

#10 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,564 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

When I got our cat Sage, she was a rescue from a farm. She was underweight and had a large wound on her back. We took her home and she went directly to the basement, in a panic, and hid. I mean hid for weeks and weeks. We put food, water and a litterbox down there with her, and fed her twice daily. It seriously was maybe four weeks before she would allow you to actually see her, and then only for a few seconds before hiding again. I stayed with it, going down every day with food and water, talking to her soothingly even though I couldn't see her. A couple more weeks went by and she started staying in sight when I was down there, but wouldn't let me approach her, which I respected.

After a couple of months, we noticed she would sit at the top of the basement stairs and watch, but still run back down when we got too close. I moved her food dish to the stairs, then to the top of the stairs, and she seemed okay with it. Then she slowly started to venture into the house. I moved her food outside of the basement door, and began inching it more into the house over the next weeks. I'd say all told it was close to six months before she stayed in the house and stopped hiding in the basement, then another six until she was totally okay with us and allowed herself to be handled.

Now she is the sweetest, most loving cat ever! She has to be near us (well, Karen mostly, cuz she's the mama) at all times. She loves to be picked up and loved. Quite the opposite of those early days.

My point is your MIL may wish to take a similar approach. Give kitteh some space, be calm and loving without being too in the cat's face. Ease the cat into normal life in the apartment. I'd bet that after enough time passes, all this will be a memory. Some cats were traumatized and need time to trust people again. Some just have less trusting personalities and take longer to warm up.

I hope she's got a lapful of loving cat before too much longer!

#11 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

That's a great story! :)

#12 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

Great advice JP!

I was thinking of Sage's journey when i first read this thread :heart:

#13 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:44 AM

Thanks for the encouragement and advice all.

JP - you are one patient man. I believe your point is key, "Give kitteh some space, be calm and loving without being too in the cat's face."

This is going to be some lap cat someday, ragdoll cats can get as big as 20 pounds.

#14 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

patience is my key with Diamond as well. she's come a long way already. playing might be a good idea, i think they tend to be curious about play, not aggressive. that said, Diamond hates me dragging string like things in front of her and doesn't let me touch the toys i've gotten her. *sigh*

#15 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,224 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

I get skittish, but I think after a bit they all need to recognize that the human is the alpa cat.

#16 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:22 AM

when floyd wandered into our back yard, he was scared to death of us, ran away, wouldn't come near us for a week except to come onto the back deck to eat. then one day i came in the house and he was sleeping on the couch, friendly and content. so you never know with cats ;)

#17 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

he came in the house when you weren't there? that IS funny! :)

#18 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

when floyd wandered into our back yard, he was scared to death of us, ran away, wouldn't come near us for a week except to come onto the back deck to eat. then one day i came in the house and he was sleeping on the couch, friendly and content. so you never know with cats ;)

Wish we knew what goes on in those little feline heads.

#19 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

he came in the house when you weren't there? that IS funny! :)

:funny1: Little dickens, glad he is not a scaredy cat anymore.

#20 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

Diva is becoming more social but is still somewhat skittish.
These photos didn't come out good but I think they are the best of what I'll be able to take for now. It's hard to photograph moving cats in poor lighting with a crappy camera.

Diva getting ready for take off from strange flashing object
Posted Image

Diva with red gowing eyes
Posted Image

Diva coming to swat the dangling holder strap on the camera
Posted Image

#21 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

beautiful coats. give 'em at least 6 months, i say. Diamond's come sooo far in just 3. :)

#22 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,224 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

Pretty kitty

#23 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

she's beautiful! :)

#24 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

Diva loves playing with the feather on pole game. She does not hide anymore and lets us pet her beautiful soft furry neck and back.
The cat is so sweet and is getting friendlier, just like you guys said she would.

#25 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

i was petting Diamond this morning and was remembering the days she wouldn't let me pet her at all! i almost never wake up to her not snoozing on my bed. :)

#26 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,564 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

:clapping: Diva the lover - nice!

#27 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:46 AM

glad she is responding to love and giving some in return :smile::heart:

#28 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:31 AM

that's so awesome :) i was sitting here crying after reading nancy's thread but this made me smile :heart:

#29 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:25 AM

Hi LisaMarie!

Glad Diva is doing well. I cant relate when we got Natalie from the shelter she was already domesticated. We got in her the house, she walked around, checked out the downstairs, was sitting on my dad after 5 minutes and me after 15 minutes. Every cat has a story.

#30 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:14 AM

we lived in an upstairs apartment for 15 years before moving to a 2 story house. Tigger spent the first two days at the top of the stairs as if to say "but... but we live UPstairs!" :)