• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

i consider my cats to be pretty well trained. for cats. (except for Diamond who doesn't count yet. :funny1: ) when i'm telling stories at work i often say "and they know what that means" - they have a very big vocabulary of english words.

well. someone told me yesterday, that i had inspired her to try to train her 9yr old cat to lie down on command. it only took her a couple of days and now she says he's really good at it and drops to the floor as soon as she tells him to. i find this to be truly awesome, and realllllly really funny, all at the same time. :D :lol:

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,185 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

:clapping:

#3 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,075 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

:clapping:

How did she train the cat? With treats?

#4 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

no, she said he's a bit on the heavy side and she couldn't afford to do treats. she did it the same way i do - with physical rewards like petting him, making a big fuss over him, saying "good boy" at the right time, (i did assume he already knew 'good boy'), "good lie down" to repeat the command and associate it with 'good' some more and things like that.

i forget specifically why she wanted to train him, other than just the experiment of it all, i'll have to ask her.

#5 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,451 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

i was going to say, training cats is like herding cats! :funny1:

floyd is trained to come running anytime someone pops the top off a yogurt :lol:

#6 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

her cat was 9 too, not even a kitten. i'm pretty impressed :)

Zevon knows the sound of yogurt too. and ice cream. and cereal!! :lol:

#7 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:15 AM

:wink:My cats have me trained well!

#8 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,075 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

Our cat Sage can't hear, but she can smell dairy a mile away and comes running!

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,185 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

:wink:My cats have me trained well!

:lol: This

Although each one does know their name.

#10 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

:cool:

#11 Jake Blues

Jake Blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

i consider my cats to be pretty well trained. for cats. (except for Diamond who doesn't count yet. :funny1: ) when i'm telling stories at work i often say "and they know what that means" - they have a very big vocabulary of english words.

well. someone told me yesterday, that i had inspired her to try to train her 9yr old cat to lie down on command. it only took her a couple of days and now she says he's really good at it and drops to the floor as soon as she tells him to. i find this to be truly awesome, and realllllly really funny, all at the same time. :D :lol:

Could there be such a thing as circus cats? I mean, if they are so easily trainable, there ought to be domestic circus cats, now that would be funny :-)

At least I think so :boogie:

#12 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

I think the real question here is who trains who? :funny1:

#13 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

:lol:

i tell the vet i run a dictatorship. a very small, benevolent dictatorship. :thup: :funny1:

#14 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

:lol:

i tell the vet i run a dictatorship. a very small, benevolent dictatorship. :thup: :funny1:

that's what my mom used to say..:funny1:

#15 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

have you heard of clicker training? my friend used it on her cat and she responds really well to the clicker.

we do a similar thing - there's a clicking noise diddy makes when it's dinnertime... when they hear that noise, doesn't matter where they are in the house - they come RUNNING :lol:

#16 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

oh, and our cats are such tuna freaks that they come running when a can opener gets taken out of the drawer! don't even have to start opening the can - they just know! so crazy.