• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

i have never before had a cat that got into fights! about a week and a half ago i heard a cat fight and went outside and he was full on having it out with the gray stray right in the middle of the street! fur everywhere. i clapped my hands and broke them up but floyd went running after the other cat! he is so bad.

so he got a little wound which abscessed so i figured i'd treat it myself. it opened and drained and i had some antiseptic cat wash from when carlos hurt his paw. we kept him inside for a few days and it was healing nicely until he got out last night and got into another fight and it opened and blood everywhere and a trip to the emergency vet.

so... conehead, indoor floydian for a while. maybe a long while on the indoor part.

he is fine. they didn't even put stitches in him. the doctor (who was very sweet and instantly loved him :) ) said he was a super healthy cat and was extremely cooperative.

:heart:

#2 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,248 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

don't miss those wounds at all, i have to admit. glad he's going to be okay! :heart:

#3 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,750 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

So Floyd's a scrapper eh?

Glad to hear his wound isn't too bad!

#4 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

it looked way worse than it actually was!

the vet said there are basically 2 kinds of cats; runners & fighters. floyd seems so sweet. he is a big teddy bear of a cat. you can really pretty much do anything with him (hold him like a baby, lay him on his back and put your hand right into his belly) and he doesn't protest. but if there is another cat around, he'll pick a fight.

#5 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:21 AM

((((floyd))))

"Indoor cat" does not compute in my family. Cat lovers, all of us, way too much to keep them as prisoners.

At least it's only temporary. :clapping:

#6 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:32 AM

yeah, i never have had an indoor-only cat.... but he's staying in until he is completely healed!

#7 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:10 AM

Thank goddess my boys look out for each other(somewhat) Tiger is a great fighter but won't look for it and only fights when he has no other choice left. Desmond is a runner and a house hugger. Good luck with that Summer

#8 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:32 AM

It's funny, the first question I wanted to ask was "did he win????" :lol:

Cats are curious hunters and stalkers and fierce defenders of their territory. I'm convinced that letting ours roam their territory from a very young age taught them not to engage skunks, to recognize and hide from stronger opponents like canines, and to pick their kills with great insight. But why they always seem to want to make gifts of the rodents and birds instead of just eating them always confused me.

#9 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,248 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

my Tiger's the same way. a total pussycat, pun intended, until he sees a cat that doesn't belong to me. or sees Diamond. :funny1: then he is mr. dominant aggressor takin' care of the fam cat. :thup: i don't think he'd ever change and would constantly come home in pieces. :tongue:

#10 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

floyd did NOT win! :lol:

poor guy, i had to hold him this morning while i let the other 3 cats out and he was so sad... :undecided:

but a little later he did nibble on my knee for attention and he hasn't done that since he got hurt so that is a definite improvement :thup:

we had a nice cuddle session and i brushed him out, which he loved. i'm sure he's partially bummed that he can't groom himself. he is fastidious about his grooming.

#11 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,750 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

Inside cat wants to be outside cat :lol:

That'll learn him! (probably not)

#12 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

probably not :funny1:

he's not the smartest cat i've ever owned. quite possibly the easiest going, i've never had a cat that was so pliable and could relax so easily. you can really do just about anything to him! he's definitely got a huge heart and is full of teh love. but i don't think he has a very high cat IQ :heart: ;)

#13 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,290 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

:funny1: :heart:

#14 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,248 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

yeahhh, probably not! :) glad he's doing better. :heart:

#15 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

so he was sitting on the table this morning and i wasn't paying attention when i heard something drop on the floor. i figured he knocked something off but when i looked up, he didn't have his cone on! i guess the little bugger wriggled out of it. maybe he's not as dumb as i thought he was :lol:

i let him lick himself for a few minutes but i put my finger over his wound (which is now scabbing) so he couldn't lick that. he was so grateful and didn't even protest when i put the cone back on :) :heart:

#16 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

:heart::smile:

#17 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

so this morning he wriggled out of it again at 5:30. i was having a dream he was licking himself when lawrence woke me up and showed me that he was in our room, cone off, licking himself. his wound is mostly healed and it's been a week so we decided to leave it off. he is still staying indoors for awhile but today he was the happiest cat on the planet :)

#18 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,248 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

i think he should be fine after a week. i wish Diamond was healing that well. :undecided:

#19 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:49 AM

So glad to hear everything is healing up well.:smile:

#20 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:51 PM

:smile:

#21 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

the last few days he's been sitting on the kitchen table looking longingly out the window. poor guy...

this morning carlos sat up there next to him for a long time. it was so sweet!!! :heart: carlos loves him so much.

someday i'm going to have to have my camera ready when they have one of their face licking sessions so i can video it. it's the sweetest thing i've ever seen :)

#22 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:24 AM

Our boys Tiger and Desmond love each other dearly also. With Tiger looking out for Desmond the best he can. How is everything healing? Fine I hope! Kiss them from us will ya!:wink1:

#23 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

thanks ray :)

floyd just has a tiny scar left. the skin still looks "thin" though and there is a cat fight outside every night. the cat picking fights is our old stray, ash, the one before floyd that didn't want to be our cat. last night he came up on the back deck and hung out for awhile. i am conflicted because i want to help him but i already tried to help him, over a year ago, and he refused. i don't want to start feeding him again because he just picks fights with my cats. plus he is obviously eating somewhere, he looks fed :undecided:

so now, in the evening, all the cats stay in until early morning. last night luna was out all night but i never worry about her. no cat in their right mind would fuck with luna :eek: :lol:

just the way she looks at you sometimes is scary :funny1:

#24 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

ahh! Luna sounds like the perfect woman for Tiger. Feline Yoda's kids. At our old place in Troy when Tiger was a young cat and solo he had to fend off feral cats daily. I remember one day when a feral coon cat tried his luck and Tiger kicked his ass out of his yard (1 acre) The thing I love about Tiger is that he never starts a brawl, but like Yoda totally gets emersed in it until he wins:one:

#25 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

so floyd is now a permanent indoor cat. i'm proud that he did win his last fight... but he still had a small injury. luckily, it did not require a $100 trip to the vet!

lawrence went out and bought him a harness and leash so he has limited back yard privileges. i can't wait until it stops raining so we can take him on a walk :)

forest is trying to convince me that there is no way floyd will walk with us. ok, so maybe i'll have to carry him aways :funny1:

#26 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

our cats don't even wear collars (indoor only), I can just imagine trying to put a harness on either one of them :eek1:

let us know how it goes :)

#27 CreekFreek

CreekFreek
  • VibeTribe
  • 850 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

He sounds like my Quincy. He always fights with other boy cats. I don't think he wins often. He got a nasty abscess on his head right before we went away on vacation once and we had to board him for the week. $$$$$$

We try not to let him outside but he is sneaky and knows right when to bolt for the door. He hides behind things, watches for when you are carrying large items, runs out real fast when the dogs get let out, pops screens out of windows, etc.

He gets really grumpy when he doesn't go out for long periods of time and my heart breaks for him (he spent the first 5 yrs of life living in the country) but there are just too many cats in my neighborhood.

_____

Sorry Floyd but it's for your own good!!

#28 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,248 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

i had Tigger on a harness for a while and i have a neighbor who walks his cat in nice weather too. Tiger never got the hang of it and Cassady doesn't care for outside. Diamond doesn't either!

#29 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

Floyd is so easy to harness up and take outside :) most of the time he just wants to sit on the porch anyway.

#30 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Ok! I want a pic of him in the harness. :bigsmile:

#31 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

ok, i'll harness him up. we had to take the 1st harness back because it was a cat's "large" size (which was the largest size they had) but it was too tight on him! now he's in a dog's "medium" :)

#32 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

:bubblechick: I remember last year when I tried to harness Desmond, I still have a scar.

#33 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Posted Image

#34 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

Too cute, but she still looks pissed! :avid:

#35 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

:lol: That's a great picture!
Looks just like my dear departed Fluffy Floyd, except he was grey.
Same hairy ears, puffy jowls and the all-knowing look in the eye. :heart:

#36 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

lawrence said he saw a grey, younger version of floyd a couple of blocks down yesterday. there must be some cat around here spitting out norwegian forest cat-type cats.

#37 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,248 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

awwww, that's sweet. i'm glad he likes the harness okay.

#38 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

he is so easy. so. easy! he's the gentlest, most easy going cat i've ever met. except when he's out fighting :rolleyes:

#39 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

Like little Yoda's they are :qte: