The Gun Thread

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hmmm...was at the shop lookin' for a .22 pistol to get Ms. Kitty started on, and came across a Smith No Dash Model 57, 8 3/8" barrel, nickel, in pretty good shape, at what I think is a fair price.

Hmmmm...may have to go back and talk to the fella.

Side note...pickin' up a an ATI Model 1911 in .22 next weekend.

.41 magnum?  What does the "No Dash" mean

.41 magnum is an awesome hunting round

#102 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,600 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

S&W revolver models, as they've had changes (many of them cost-saving for S&W) made to them, have a dash and a number added to the model number. No Dash often equals better quality.

Helps to roll your own if you're a .41 Rem Mag shooter, for sure, but it's a good round. I've had several Model 57's or 657's in the past, and a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 as well.

I have a Marlin lever action in .41, which would go well with the Model 57.

#103 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,600 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

Good hunting round, and can be loaded for personal defense as well. When they first came out, there were two basic loadings, each geared to one of those purposes.

#104 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

I hunt with a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag.  7 1/2" barrel, open sights.  Nice carry gun in the woods.  Not too heavy or bulky.

When I bought it, I bought 100 rounds, 50 of 2 different types at $1/round to see how it shoots.  After about 60-70 rounds I was ready to throw that thing in the weeds because I couldn't pattern it.

A neighbor stopped over with a variety of handloads he has and within 20 minutes I was shooting same hole shots at 22 yards on a rest.

I learned a lot from that little venture.  store bought loads were too hot for a pistol barrel which I've gathered is common among long gun/pistol rounds  This is one of the reasons that moved me towards reloading.

#105 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hmmm...was at the shop lookin' for a .22 pistol to get Ms. Kitty started on,

beek's really gonna be in trouble now

product%5CGERG2210M1911.jpg

#106 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,014 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

Nice, I have a Berreta.

#107 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,600 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

It'll be a good way of practicing to step up to a .45. Same size, same controls, etc.

#108 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,600 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

6700.jpg

Was thinking about a Colt, maybe even a Series 70, and came upon one of these today, almost new. Have read good things about it, and it was almost half the price of a Colt, yet still made in the USA. Basically traded it for a couple of ComBloc (Bulgarian Makarov and Nagant M1895 (of which I had 2)) guns I was never gonna use, plus a lil cash.

#109 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

I just received my first gun for christmas.  (Never had/ couldn't bring myself to spend the cash before)

It's a Savage .223 bolt action rifle.  Have only gone shooting with it once and it definitely needs to be resighted. 

I was all set to buy a Ruger .22 as my first gun but when I finally shot one I discovered it was little more than a glorified BB gun.

Finding land to shoot on near Rochester is not easy.  All of the ranges are open very odd hours and most have waiting lists to join.

Wound up shooting in the back of the corn field behind my buddy's house around the corner but it is not his land and wouldn't want to make that a habit. 

#110 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,600 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:20 AM

Ruger really does have a way of overengineering things.

Springs on that 1911 are all much heavier than they need to be. I'll swap out the recoil spring, the mainspring and the magazine release spring, and it'll be all set.

#111 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,600 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

72l_RI1166-WASR10-MilStock.jpg

Order in. Cuz, well, I've never owned an AKM variant.. And I have a bunch of 7.62x39 around from shooting SKSs in the past. Plus history. And legendary reliability.

#112 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

photobucket-47173-1419524715787.jpg

A christmas gift to ad to the arsenal. Bring on those pesy flies.

#113 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:39 AM

how have I never seen this topic? Anyway, you all have some interesting pieces.

I got my NY permit a while back to keep my dad's service revolver in the family, a S&W 38sp from about 1952.

Joined the local rod and gun club, but it's dangerous for a hippy gun toter to speak their mind much around there. So I just hit the out door ranges now and again.

Also have .22 bolt action Mossberg for plinking

and 2 old Stevens Favorite single shots. One is so amazing..burled wood stocks, nickel finish probably about 80 years old. Research shows the sights on the fancy set up are about $350 each, front (adjustable flip up peep) and back. Too bad there was work done and the barrel is a relined winchester. Gun could have been serious $$$$$$$$ The other Stevens is just standard.  Hard to find ammo that isn't too hot for those old Stevens. any suggestions?

#114 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:07 AM

Are the stevens .22 calibers? In Ny its still almost impossible to find .22 bullets but some shops have loaded down .22s because nobody really wants them. They are pretty common in a non-ammo buying craze like there is now, just ask someone in gun shop.

#115 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

Are the stevens .22 calibers? In Ny its still almost impossible to find .22 bullets but some shops have loaded down .22s because nobody really wants them. They are pretty common in a non-ammo buying craze like there is now, just ask someone in gun shop.

Bought a ton in PA a while back. Cabelas had them on sale during the holidays. a 1,000 count bucket for 79.99 or something close.

#116 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

72l_RI1166-WASR10-MilStock.jpg

Order in. Cuz, well, I've never owned an AKM variant.. And I have a bunch of 7.62x39 around from shooting SKSs in the past. Plus history. And legendary reliability.

Cool. The nice thing about these beyond what you stated are the mod abilities. There are so many after market parts...

#117 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

Ruger really does have a way of overengineering things.

Springs on that 1911 are all much heavier than they need to be. I'll swap out the recoil spring, the mainspring and the magazine release spring, and it'll be all set.

I want to own a 1911 so bad....but NY is such a pussified state they want a stool sample first.

#118 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,600 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hard to find ammo that isn't too hot for those old Stevens. any suggestions?

Assuming that you're talking about .22 LR, Aguila and others make subsonic versions which are likely loaded to lower pressures than standard rounds. You might research that.

#119 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:25 AM

yup, 22LR

cool. I will. I was using CBees but they have a pretty sharp drop off. accurate at 20 ft, :bigsmile:

on the other hand, they sound like a snap if you want to sneak in some backyard practice :bouncey:

my squirrel deterrent pellet guns are louder I think

By the way, I found an old box of 22long in an old ammo box. any idea what those were for?

#120 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,600 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

Huh. I wonder how old they are. They were somewhat interchangable with .22 LR in bolt/pump/leverguns and prolly revolvers, the .22 Long having a lighter bullet and less power than the LR which came after it.

#121 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:49 PM

Went to an auction on Saturday and picked up a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .257 Roberts and a 1963 Rem 700 in .222.

#122 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:13 AM

I'm kind of conflicted on guns.  From what I know of Mayfly and Tim The Beek, I don't have a problem with them owning guns, but I think they are too easy to acquire even legally.

I think society has a responsibility to protect it's weakest. And you can tell that's true by what I do at The Alzheimer's Association.  I don't really know a lot about guns because they are such a threat to me it's not good for me to even think about them. If I owned a gun, I would be dead, end of story.  That doesn't mean Tim shouldn't have one.  But will somebody please think of the children (and they mentally ill).  I believe Tim and Mayfly know the responsibilities of owning a gun and I'm not necessarily talking about just laws.  It's about keeping stuff locked up, not encouraging the sick to hold guns.

it's not just "crazy" people who are in danger around guns..  I could probably go to Tim's house with a gun left on the table because Tim and China would care for me.  But If I went into a stranger's house and the gun was on the table. It would probably be 50/50 as to whether I would kill  myself.  And I'm appropriately medicated, receiving world class psychotherapy and living with family that loves me. I'm pretty well functioning.  

I will leave it at this statement.  I don't think people don't understand how impulsive suicide is. (can't speak for homicide but it may be similar).  For those of us that are mentally ill.  We have to worry about a quick impulse to jump off a bridge or pick up a gun. It's true, I promise you. I think a lot of gun owners think and fairly so about people who may harm them.  But you  also have to think about those who may harm themselves.  So have fun, protect yourself, exercise your rights, but please be careful.  because even at my most mentally ill, I was able to pass myself off as healthy and I'm not unique in that.

#123 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:11 AM

I am sorry you have gone, are going and will go through this struggle Royal. 

Suicide is never the answer.

:heart:

#124 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

I am sorry you have gone, are going and will go through this struggle Royal. 

Suicide is never the answer.

:heart:

Thank you, I agree.  It is very nice not to be suicidal.  Like gun ownership keeping yourself safe is a big responsibility.  I don't always want to avoid charity walks on bridges, stay away from people with guns, and take my meds.  But I do and the end result of being well is worth it.