Gluten Free

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

I was wondering what you people thought of going gluten-free. I don't have any health reasons (that I know of) for wanting to try this other than people saying they feel great once they do it.

Has anyone here ever done it? Is it really hard? Did you feel better?

#2 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

I only know people who have gone gluten free due to health concerns (gluten intolerance and celiac disease). I personally don't know anyone who would choose to go gluten free unless they had an intolerance....

#3 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,722 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:13 PM

I did it for a year when I was younger when I was mis-diagnosed with celiac disease. There are a lot more options now than there were back then.

Come to find out, though, the Dr. mentioned celiac sprue to me a few weeks ago at a followup appointment, and tomorrow when I go back to the Dr., I'm going to inquire more about it.

#4 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

I did it for a year when I was younger when I was mis-diagnosed with celiac disease. There are a lot more options now than there were back then.

Come to find out, though, the Dr. mentioned celiac sprue to me a few weeks ago at a followup appointment, and tomorrow when I go back to the Dr., I'm going to inquire more about it.

Celiac Sprue...never heard of that. I'll have to look it up.

My cousin found out last year that she has a wheat allergy. She was living in NY and fortunately, was able to find quite a few safe places to eat. She's back at home now and has to be SO careful. :(

#5 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

Celiac sprue = celiac disease.

You can test for the disease and you can test for gluten intolerance/allergies

#6 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,722 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

It's actually kind of funny (well not funny ha ha...but funny coincidence), because the idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis they diagnosed me with normally occurs with people with celiac. I still think it's strange that they "misdiagnosed" me with it, and now 15 years later, it's coming back into the conversation.

#7 bsktcase

bsktcase
  • VibeTribe
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

It's actually kind of funny (well not funny ha ha...but funny coincidence), because the idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis they diagnosed me with normally occurs with people with celiac. I still think it's strange that they "misdiagnosed" me with it, and now 15 years later, it's coming back into the conversation.

That is strange!

I've been doing some more reading on it today and supposedly, lots of adults are finding out that they have Celiac because of the South Beach Diet. Apparently they start the diet, restrict carbs (wheats, etc) and feel really good once it's all out of their system. Very interesting stuff.

#8 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

2 good sources for Gluten free recipes

http://www.5dollardinners.com/

and

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

#9 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,722 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

After just 2.5 weeks of doing this, I do feel better. My sinus headaches have gone away (and regular headaches in general). I do feel more energetic as well. The food is delicious, and I haven't felt deprived at all. :) I love being a silly yak. :funny1: (I don't love gluten-free bread & bagels being over $6 though. :ravn: Oh well! )

#10 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

This is wonderful news. I am so happy for you Georgi!!! :heart:

#11 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,722 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

Like I said in the thread below this one titled "Georgi", I wish I was seeing weight loss benefits, but due to the prednisone, I am not. :ravn:

#12 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

i've been gluten-free for about 3 years now. not for any serious health issues, just to aid in digestion. i usually eat sandwiches every day for lunch & had noticed i always felt "heavy" & bloated afterwards. i've def felt a lot better since going gluten-free, the brown rice pasta is especially lighter & easier to digest. it gets easier the longer you keep up w/ it & i do cheat every now & again. it seems that most people are bothered by wheat. the only downer is that it's all pretty expensive, but whatevs.

the only issue i had in the beginning was coming up w/ breakfast options (i was a cereal addict & brown rice puffs can be real boring-lol). some of the things that have worked for me (aside from eggs) are quinoa (i usually add nuts, seeds & some dried fruit) & gluten free rolled oats that i use to make muesli w/.

#13 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,418 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:37 PM

i've been gluten free since mid june. i feel *much* better. it's really freaking difficult and i miss so many foods. but my digestion is way better. i also wasn't assimilating b12 and iron. both those counts are much higher now.

ps, once a month i eat a burger. i pay for it but it's definitely worth it! :lol:

#14 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,722 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

Random, but I just found out the other day that Betty Crocker makes gluten-free cake/brownie/cookie mixes! Thought that was pretty cool! :clapping:

#15 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

I think people including myself probably feel better on gluten free diets or low-carb, such as South Beach, because they are low in white foods, no sugar, no junk like chips etc. I always feel better when I comply but I always go off. I just love the junkies like pizza and chocolate.

I want to lose weight , I want to be healthy truly I do, I just suck at dieting and exercise. I've even had three stents and other health issues and still I don't do it. Why? What's up with me I'm so discouraged.

I'm not young anymore and I know I HAVE to do this. I was at a great live show the other night. I thought I looked pretty good. I danced all night, had so much fun. Then I saw the pictures and almost cried. I look like a matronly 50-ish woman! Argh! That's not how I see myself in my minds eye and I know that no one else sees me that way. But yet...

Any help out here in boardie land? I'd love to feel great come vibes. I'd love to hula hoop and look good doing it. HELP ME get started. :dunno:

#16 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,722 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

How are the gluten free troops doing? :cheerleader:

I got an Amy's frozen pizza last week made with rice crust. It was disgusting. :shocked: Damn thing didn't crisp up at all. I kept it in for way longer than it said, and it had the nerve to fall apart when I took it out of the oven. :ravn:

There is a crust Rich has made for me before that was rather tasty, but he was in Cleveland, so I had to fend for myself. :funny1:

#17 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

I think people including myself probably feel better on gluten free diets or low-carb, such as South Beach, because they are low in white foods, no sugar, no junk like chips etc. I always feel better when I comply but I always go off. I just love the junkies like pizza and chocolate.

I want to lose weight , I want to be healthy truly I do, I just suck at dieting and exercise. I've even had three stents and other health issues and still I don't do it. Why? What's up with me I'm so discouraged.

I'm not young anymore and I know I HAVE to do this. I was at a great live show the other night. I thought I looked pretty good. I danced all night, had so much fun. Then I saw the pictures and almost cried. I look like a matronly 50-ish woman! Argh! That's not how I see myself in my minds eye and I know that no one else sees me that way. But yet...

Any help out here in boardie land? I'd love to feel great come vibes. I'd love to hula hoop and look good doing it. HELP ME get started. :dunno:

starting small & making little changes here & there may help keep you on track rather than trying to do so much at once. keeping a food diary & setting some goals for yourself may help too. fitting in a little bit of exercise into your schedule most days of the week isn't as hard as you may think. don't get discouraged when you cheat or fall off the wagon, just get back to it the next day. there are a bunch of health/fitness books & magazines that could provide some knowledge as well as motivation if that's what you need. i like women's health mag...they always have tons of fairly simple, do anywhere exercise routines.
you can definitely do whatever you set your mind to if you really want it! best of luck :)