Random Acts of Selfishness

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

My friend said to me jokingly yesterday "My New Years Resolution is to become a bigger asshole!"     We all laughed.    Today, I embodied that statement.

So I regularly go on a 24 mile road bike ride, starting in Denville, heading north into Boonton/Kinellon/Montville.    The route I take is a recognized bike route, complete with green "bike route" signs.     On a gorgeous day like today, I'll see 15 other likeminded riders.        You see all types of riders, from the serious racer pro's to the overweight older people trying to get some exercise.      The serious racers pass me all the time.

I notice that these racers go very light.   No backpack,   No saddle packs.   Just a bike, helmet, designer glasses, and spiffy colorful clothing.     Every single one of them slim, sleek, and in perfect shape.     And they zip past me...leave me in their dust.    Not only am I a husky slow rider, but I carry a heavy hydration pack full of tools and emergency road repair supplies.     It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that sooner or later, you're gonna get a flat.    No big deal if you have a spouse or friends you can call to pick you up.        But I'm on my own.    So I carry a small First Aid kit, tools, 3 spare tubes, a pump, inflation chargers, I even carry a spare tire!!      I'm a boy scout on wheels...prepared for most situations.  I don't want to bother anyone else.    I want it to be my own problem if something predictable should fuck up.

So today, I pass a woman carrying her bike.   Yet another colorful racer pro, traveling light.    Clearly a flat tire.  

I rode right past her.     Yes, I could've resolved her problem right then and there.    But I just wasn't feeling like being a hero today.   Wasn't feeling like being nice.    Didn't feel like donating a $7,00 tube to somebody I'll never see again.   Was more interested in getting home so I could have lunch.    Now if she was remotely cute and there was even a shot at getting into her pants, maybe I'd have thought differently.    But today I felt like letting this woman learn a lesson on her own, tough love style.   Go buy a backpack and carry the right shit so you can get yourself out of a problem and not pull other people into it....U dumb be-otch.

Today, I became a bigger asshole!  LOL.  

(I have helped others in the past, and I will continue to do so...but today, not so much!). 

#2 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,583 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

:funny1:

#3 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,179 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

Ugly chicks can still give handjobs, go back and help her out :-)

#4 foo

foo
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

Doesn't make you an asshole at all. Just not in a mood to go out of your way today... thats all.

#5 zachdepuwook

zachdepuwook
  • VibeTribe
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

I rode by the same woman a few times today!!! I had a pump in my hand and slowly pumped it in a mocking manner in front of her face. (Or I just ate a lot of ice cream today. :funny1: )

#6 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,545 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

not selfish at all...from your description it appears they can afford the small pack bike kit that can strap onto the bike or on their person...they wanna act like pro racers that's their perogative...you got 24 miles to go yourself why risk stranding yourself?

"they bought the tickets, they knew what they were getting into...I say let 'em die!"

#7 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

I'm a huge fan of tough love. 

#8 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

I"m also a huge fan of random acts of kindness.   But I am with you 100% on this one.

#9 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

Well, fortunately for the whole world, I prefer to help far more people than I ignore.     I feel good when I help people out of a jam, and the good karma has a way of making it's way back to me in one way or another..      But I just don't want to enable somebody's stupidity or laziness.    At some point, we're all confronted with the cause/effect of our actions/in-actions, and that's how we learn.       Why rob somebody of a perfect lesson, ya know?!   LOL

#10 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:11 AM

We need more people that feel that way.  We enable a lot of stupid these days and therefore, we are left with a lot of stupid people not knowing any better. 

#11 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

It's OK Eddie.

You don't have to be Mighty Mouse every day!

mighty-mouse-cbs-118-b.jpg