• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

Maybe they don't need to save all the data.
Maybe they don't need to actually record everything.
Maybe just wearing the cameras while not knowing what will and will not be saved, will be enough to keep everyone on their best behavior. :dunno:

J... Thank you. It is the unseen benefit from something like this program that could be invaluable.

Philadelphia has approx 6600 police officers.
Top of my head costs for equipment/administration/storage/ etc would be $1000 per officer.
Let's say that 50% of the law suits could be avoided, or thrown out because of evidence gained from the officer's camera.
Spend $6.6MM to save $7MM?
Say 75% of the lawsuits could be avoided
Spend $6.6MM to save $10.5MM? Maybe, but seems like a long shot.

My first thought is it will be kept like any other evidence. They can archive old video (like micro fiche, but to a hard drive) to make storing data easier and cheaper over

I also think you are grossly over estimating the costs. The data in theory would be stored in a data warehouse of some sort and it is only video data, no personal data.

Finally, I think you are missing the bigger picture, again. Philly is in the top five cities in america with the highest minority population, many being African American. These people have a similar feeling about the police and law enforcement that is happening in Ferguson MO. Fair or not, that is the perception of the police.

By introducing the camera program, may be that would help with these feelings. May be the public could trust the police in general more and help with public relations.

Less money paid out by the city, and better relations in the city, more trust between the people and the people enforcing the law. It was actually 14 million, and 8 million the year before. That is money that could help this program, or may be better yet... money for the school system, which may not open on time this fall. Talk of opening schools two weeks later, and ending two weeks early to account for budget deficit.

Sabur, Moore and Snowden were among 128 plaintiffs who received nearly $14 million in settlements from the city last year from civil-rights lawsuits filed against police.

That marked a huge jump from the $8.3 million paid out for such suits in 2012, and an even bigger increase from the $4.2 million paid five years earlier. Those figures don't include the millions paid annually to settle lawsuits from police-involved car accidents or labor and employment claims.

#52 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,736 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

Maybe they don't need to save all the data.

Maybe they don't need to actually record everything.

Maybe just wearing the cameras while not knowing what will and will not be saved, will be enough to keep everyone on their best behavior.   :dunno:

J... Thank you.  It is the unseen benefit from something like this program that could be invaluable.

It has worked extremely well on local school buses.

I see no reason why it shouldn't work just as well on cops.

#53 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

What is this all about?

St. Louis police chief defends officers' action in fatal shooting of man

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

I do not think lethal force was necessary in this situation.  May be they could have shot him the leg or shoulder, or used a taser on him.

Watch the video.  

#54 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,146 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

I say everyone dress up as flesh-eating zombies to fool the facial recognition software and just eat the cops one by one.

#55 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

I say everyone dress up as flesh-eating zombies to fool the facial recognition software and just eat the cops one by one.