How was Slightly Stoopid at Vibes?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Again and Again

Again and Again
  • VibeTribe
  • 809 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

Any reviews?  I wasn't there (but I saw you anyway).  

#2 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

I saw them in Boston in 2013 and they looked tired. At Vibes, they seemed more invigorated. Surprised no acoustic stuff though

#3 UmphreysMcTool

UmphreysMcTool
  • VibeTribe
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:44 AM

First time seeing them. Amazing. Intense looking pit during the token punk tune (wasn't sure what the tune itself was) of the set. Had no idea Karl Denson plays/played sax for them (maybe a one-time deal or on occasion only? - not sure but their horns in general rock). Surprised at no acoustic tunes as well (I was really hoping for "Reward for Me" for some reason) but loved that they seemed to do some funk. I had this vision before seeing them that they were just Cali reggae or ska or something, but that tune "Hold on to the One" was played to perfection, and to me, that tune is pretty funky in a live setting at least. They were just very dance-able and made me feel great and had a certain energy to them that wasn't at expense of quality musicianship. Their dynamics were great (not too loud or too quiet) and they just oozed professionalism. They passed a couple joints to the crowd, too. Just a nice thing to do, maybe even a regular thing for them, but just inclusive of the fans in their experience. Ed Sharpe (who was good with his band in his/their own right) might've been downing vodka on stage but Stoopid were the only band that shared their buzz with the fans on multiple levels, obviously musically, but in that sense too.

In any case, an unexpected/surprising highlight as they were very tight and lively.

#4 Again and Again

Again and Again
  • VibeTribe
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:11 AM

Thanks for that great review!  Karl Denson does sit in with them whenever he can, but I don't think its too too often.  I think of the three times I've seen them, he was there once.  I love this band and I'm so glad they got to play the Vibes.  Thanks again for your review - it was a fun read.

#5 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,079 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

they were very loud. that is, the main stage was very loud on saturday, in general. they were ... songs I didn't know, and I ignored them from my campsite.

#6 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,452 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:55 AM

greatenergy. it wasmy first time hearing them and it reminded me of jamaica

#7 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,947 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:57 AM

I just listened from the campgrounds, but I thought it was awesome.

#8 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

same as royal, very much enjoyed what i heard

#9 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

If you liked what you heard then you must listen to some acoustic Slightly Stoopid like "Closer to the Sun"

#10 mellowfellow

mellowfellow
  • VibeTribe
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Saw them open for 311 last summer at jones beach and they were pretty good. Much better then 311 (left 1/2 way into their set is was so bad). I couldn't tell you what songs it was but Karl Denson sat in on maybe 2 or 3 of them.

#11 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,995 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

I hadn't heard of them prior to their performance. I thought they were a lot of fun.  scratched my head at the short-lived mosh pit during one song, but otherwise enjoyed them.

#12 Mr Bo Berry

Mr Bo Berry
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationDerby CT

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:11 AM

I thought it was great

#13 Sensei Miller

Sensei Miller
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:59 AM

Saw them open for 311 last summer at jones beach and they were pretty good. Much better then 311 (left 1/2 way into their set is was so bad). I couldn't tell you what songs it was but Karl Denson sat in on maybe 2 or 3 of them.

Yeah, they were on point that tour (2012). Saw them open for 311 at Great Woods and they rocked it.

#14 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,009 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:18 AM

They kept my board op busy on the dump button.

#15 Mookie D

Mookie D
  • VibeTribe
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:45 AM

Yes, lots of unnecessary F bombs tossed out during their set... Glad my kids were wearing ear protection lol

#16 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,976 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

I remember when they were a punk rock band that was barely out of high school. Vibes needs more pits!

#17 BlazinSmitty

BlazinSmitty
  • VibeTribe
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

They were a bit intense, but seemed to have good energy--first time seeing them, moving away from the stage seemed to help.

#18 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

First time seeing them. Amazing. Intense looking pit during the token punk tune (wasn't sure what the tune itself was) of the set. Had no idea Karl Denson plays/played sax for them (maybe a one-time deal or on occasion only? - not sure but their horns in general rock). Surprised at no acoustic tunes as well (I was really hoping for "Reward for Me" for some reason) but loved that they seemed to do some funk. I had this vision before seeing them that they were just Cali reggae or ska or something, but that tune "Hold on to the One" was played to perfection, and to me, that tune is pretty funky in a live setting at least. They were just very dance-able and made me feel great and had a certain energy to them that wasn't at expense of quality musicianship. Their dynamics were great (not too loud or too quiet) and they just oozed professionalism. They passed a couple joints to the crowd, too. Just a nice thing to do, maybe even a regular thing for them, but just inclusive of the fans in their experience. Ed Sharpe (who was good with his band in his/their own right) might've been downing vodka on stage but Stoopid were the only band that shared their buzz with the fans on multiple levels, obviously musically, but in that sense too.

In any case, an unexpected/surprising highlight as they were very tight and lively.

I'm glad you enjoyed them. First saw them on Palladia where they played with Bob Weir and have been hooked ever since.

#19 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

Denson is with them a lot and is an OFFICIAL  member.  He was with them in Boston in 2013, was with them on the Palladia show.

http://slightlystoopid.com/about

#20 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

https://archive.org/...oopid2014-08-01