• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

Anyone bringing guitars, percussion instruments? My son't band is going and bringing quite a few instruments. They'll be jamming at our camp and all are invited. They play lots of Dead songs, Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc. One of the percussion instruments we are bringing is called a "cajon" pronounced CAHONE. It is an amazing percussion instrument and a good cajonist can sound like a real drum kit minus cymbals.

det_kotz_cajoncopy.jpg

#2 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

Check this dude out:

#3 clouseau

clouseau
  • VibeTribe
  • 387 posts
  • Locationlong island, n.y.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:12 AM

i think they'll need you over by Banned Camp - pleeze,  Dear Lord,  not near me ! 

#4 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

LMFAO!!!  I'm gonna seek you out clouseau and the band is gonna play.

i think they'll need you over by Banned Camp - pleeze,  Dear Lord,  not near me ! 

#5 clouseau

clouseau
  • VibeTribe
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:19 AM

i guess what i meant was - be mindful of your neighbors - not everybody wants a band ( and the crowd it inevitably draws ) living next door for 4 days, especially when they're trying to chill at their site between sets....( although i could dig a brass marching band passing through every now and then, playing Inna Godda  Da Vida, perhaps ) - the monuments are usually where we set up to  jam -  and no one gets pissed off... learned that the hard way ! .... now, where'd i leave that skin flute .....

#6 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

i guess what i meant was - be mindful of your neighbors - not everybody wants a band ( and the crowd it inevitably draws ) living next door for 4 days, especially when they're trying to chill at their site between sets....( although i could dig a brass marching band passing through every now and then, playing Inna Godda  Da Vida, perhaps ) - the monuments are usually where we set up to  jam -  and no one gets pissed off... learned that the hard way ! .... now, where'd i leave that skin flute .....

I know what you mean. We ARE mindful of our neighbors and they someone nearby usually jumps in....if someone asks, we stop...simple....but these kids (19-20 yrs old) are serious musicians and play a lot of Dead songs so we usually gather a smal crowd.

#7 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

I know what you mean. We ARE mindful of our neighbors and they someone nearby usually jumps in....if someone asks, we stop...simple....but these kids (19-20 yrs old) are serious musicians and play a lot of Dead songs so we usually gather a smal crowd.

By the way, we need an acoustic stand up bass to complete our setup....do you think you could rent one for us and meet us somewhere?  It would really help with the sound.Randy-1-on-white-background.jpg

#8 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

Just kidding....they can play very softly and you wouldn't hear them 3 tents away....plus they're true hippies who are conscious of the feelings of the people around them.  BUT it's gonna be hard dragging that huge stand up bass around .....lol

#9 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,292 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

hh101.jpg

#10 clouseau

clouseau
  • VibeTribe
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

Funny you should mention it - my youngest son (16 yrs. ) is a gifted cellist, and recently started playing stand - up bass (we got him a summer rental !), and he loves playing the dead - prolly why he wanted the bass - but is unfortunately gonna miss this trip cause he'll still be away @ camp !   It would be awesome to bring , but there's just no way i could fit it ... unless i could turn it into a cooler or something ... ( could you imagine returning it? -  "i dunno, it just started de-laminating"...) would a harmonica or a couple of kazoos do it for ya ?

#11 clouseau

clouseau
  • VibeTribe
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

i don't do it anymore since we caught a lot of grief over it mostly since everyone was shit-faced and didn't know how to play !

#12 smagnolia

smagnolia
  • VibeTribe
  • 402 posts
  • LocationRutland, VT

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

I have a cowbell, triangle, and kazoo!

Peace............

#13 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

I'm bringing 3 ukuleles. Because, why not!

Mostly for preshow though. I'm no pro and once the music starts I'll being paying attention to that. Also the pretty lights.

#14 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

Funny you should mention it - my youngest son (16 yrs. ) is a gifted cellist, and recently started playing stand - up bass (we got him a summer rental !), and he loves playing the dead - prolly why he wanted the bass - but is unfortunately gonna miss this trip cause he'll still be away @ camp !   It would be awesome to bring , but there's just no way i could fit it ... unless i could turn it into a cooler or something ... ( could you imagine returning it? -  "i dunno, it just started de-laminating"...) would a harmonica or a couple of kazoos do it for ya ?

that's so funny....too bad he couldn't come...strap the bass to the roof...harmonicas are always welcome, any percussion instrument.....gonna join us for "Fire on the Mountain"?  We have a flute player for that one.

#15 smagnolia

smagnolia
  • VibeTribe
  • 402 posts
  • LocationRutland, VT

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

I have bought many a guitar and djembe to Vibes and Creek fests but have always found that, for the amount of time I actually PLAY them, it's not worth the real estate in my vehicle! But I have no regrets for bringing them. Because that's why my sweet Alvarez is autographed by Billy K.!

Nonetheless, maybe cowbell, triangle and kazoo for me.

Is you "Fire on the Mountain" schedule or impromptu because I'll definitely wear the t-shirt!!!

#16 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

I have bought many a guitar and djembe to Vibes and Creek fests but have always found that, for the amount of time I actually PLAY them, it's not worth the real estate in my vehicle! But I have no regrets for bringing them. Because that's why my sweet Alvarez is autographed by Billy K.!

Nonetheless, maybe cowbell, triangle and kazoo for me.

Is you "Fire on the Mountain" schedule or impromptu because I'll definitely wear the t-shirt!!!

Main problem now is logistical: getting all cars and people together in line...we'll probably end up somewhere in west camping near the beach...