East vs. West - A tail of two Vibes

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 joedz

joedz
  • VibeTribe
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

We had a great time, in spite of the heat and a few other obstacles - I'm not complaining. But there's something I've got to get off my chest, because I just don't get it.

Since the Vibes moved back to Bridgeport, we've camped in the East area - the "Soldiers and Sailors" area. Year after year, the entry people would politely ask if we wanted to be more "chill" than "rave" and guide us to that area.

This year, it was completely different - the entry people were rude, and for the most part clueless. One guy just kept shouting "I don't have time for this". We were forced - and I do mean forced - to camp in the West side, on a steep hill, where there was no possibility of putting a tent or canopy. The explanation was simply that that's the orders that they had, just deal with it. And we were among the first to arrive, friendly and polite to a fault, and the hired help did everything they could to break the mood. Needless to say we were not pleased, but hey, we know it always works out - and it did - sort of. At least now I know that it's not an imaginary difference between East and West camping - it's a shocking difference.

Right off the bat, there were almost no porta potties. WTF? On the East side, there's a portapotty almost every 100 yards, but I guess it's acceptable for the West campers to walk at least 10 minutes to take a leak. In West camping, there are clear walking lanes, many trees for shade, and very mellow checkpoints to get into the concert area. Not so the east side. There, the staff treats everyone like a potential criminal, making you dump water (! hey it's 101 degrees), patting down your pockets, checking your bags, etc. The police were actually cruising the campground in cars! What???? I walked back over to the East area to compare, and wow - what a difference! The checkpoints are mellow, it's easy to walk, it's easy to find a bathroom, it's mellow - in short - it's the Vibes I remember.

Anyway, I don't want to take anything away from the amazing people I met over in the West side this year, the people are all really great - that's not what I'm talking about. It's just that it looks like the vibes has the world split into two groups, but give you no option to choose what group you'd be more comfortable in. Yes you can be "VIP" or "family" or "boardie", but what mid-fiftyish guys that just want to be able to chill, and can't afford VIP?

Ending positive: I loved the Vibes this year in spite of the fact I almost died of heat stroke, had to camp on a hill, and couldn't sleep. I'm not being sarcastic - I really did love it. PLEASE though, Ken : give me a better option, because this body can't take another West camping Vibes.

#2 Degs

Degs
  • VibeTribe
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:16 AM

AGREED

#3 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,280 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

I was dying in the shade in VIP I can only imagine what it must have been like over there :sad:

Glad you all survived it

#4 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,326 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

in my experience there are a lot of portos in west....just gotta actually find them...they're in small clusters everywhere.

#5 haloofroses

haloofroses
  • VibeTribe
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:16 PM

on the West Side, I just went for the red-roof houses for relief. I didnt have a problem at all with shade.

the cops cruising the grounds with cameras was really fucking unnecessary, but hey - we're camped out next to teh ghetto and a university full of scared taxpayers. Let's take this show out rural so we can get the fuck down.

#6 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 24,800 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

lolwestcamping

#7 haloofroses

haloofroses
  • VibeTribe
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:31 PM

lolwestcamping

i joined two days before the fest, forgive me.

#8 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,372 posts
  • LocationNew Haven

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:27 AM

I have never been asked where I wanted to camp. Up until last year when I began camping in the Boardie section, I was always directed to a spot in west. I have always been under the impression that if you don't have a pass for a particular area on the east side, you will end up in the west.

I also did not find that there were an abundance of portos on the east side...certainly not every 100 yards...lol. In fact, I have always found that the west side seems to have more.

#9 haloofroses

haloofroses
  • VibeTribe
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:39 AM

when you walk off the bus, nobody gives ya guff.

#10 mcm

mcm
  • VibeTribe
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

i'm glad OP posted this. the disparity between camping areas is continually denied by those with access to the east side, and the complaints of the west are typically derided by those who have no concept of how the other half lived. if the west side were truly as nice as the east side, they could move boardie camping there, right? there's more room, and it's become a highly sought after option, so this would be a move to increase the availability for people, right? unless of course boardie is located where it is due to perks like shade, infrastructure, and proximity...

#11 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,372 posts
  • LocationNew Haven

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

i'm glad OP posted this. the disparity between camping areas is continually denied by those with access to the east side, and the complaints of the west are typically derided by those who have no concept of how the other half lived.

This is untrue. Most of us who camp in boardie spent several years in general camping.

if the west side were truly as nice as the east side, they could move boardie camping there, right?

If I am not mistaken, boardie used to be on the west side.

there's more room, and it's become a highly sought after option, so this would be a move to increase the availability for people, right?

If it's become a highly sought after option, it's only because people don't know what it is. Boardie camping is meant to be small. It is meant to be an area for people who actually spend time on the boards and participate in the community. If you don't do that, why should you be camping with us? The idea is not to increase availability of boardie. That would defeat the purpose entirely.

unless of course boardie is located where it is due to perks like shade, infrastructure, and proximity...

It is located where it is because it is located where it is.

#12 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

I spent several Vibes in the Wild West. I know what it's like, and it has been cleaned up. It does have several perks. Showers are very convienient, beaches are awesome. More camping space per site. No annoying boardies :funny1:

Boardie camping does NOT have a lot of shade, that's for sure...

#13 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,372 posts
  • LocationNew Haven

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

Boardie camping does NOT have a lot of shade, that's for sure...

It's almost entirely in the sun. Family camping on the other hand...

#14 blueallah

blueallah
  • VibeTribe
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

My group of 40-50 y.o. guys prefers West camping becasue it usually is more fun. This year, however, there was a noticable reduction in portajohns and a HUGE increase in cops. West camping was sooooo boring this year. Also, those arriving on Thursday around noon were parked way the hell out while people arriving later and on Friday drove past to park closer. By Saturday there were huge open areas from where people were parked from Thursday along the walk to the conert field. The guy identifying himself as the person in charge and hired to control parking was an unyielding idiot. I can't see how it makes sense to do anything other than fill in from close to far beginning with the first arrivals. So, if West camping is going to be boring, under supplied with bathrooms, full of cops and planned by an idiot, maybe I'll choose to be around annoying bordies next year.

#15 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

I think there is a difference between MidWest camping and West camping. West camping is where the holding area for entry on thursday is. All the way at the end of the road. Mid West is kinda behind the stage area...

#16 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:27 AM

i'm glad OP posted this. the disparity between camping areas is continually denied by those with access to the east side, and the complaints of the west are typically derided by those who have no concept of how the other half lived. if the west side were truly as nice as the east side, they could move boardie camping there, right? there's more room, and it's become a highly sought after option, so this would be a move to increase the availability for people, right? unless of course boardie is located where it is due to perks like shade, infrastructure, and proximity...

hmmmm the people that have contributed to this community for years and are basically the online promotional backbone of the festival get a nice spot to camp together. is this a surprise? it's called taking care of your base. thank you Terrapin for doing it for us. and it's not like there golden tickets you just sign up.

#17 Tooozday

Tooozday
  • VibeTribe
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

hmmmm the people that have contributed to this community for years and are basically the online promotional backbone of the festival get a nice spot to camp together. is this a surprise? it's called taking care of your base. thank you Terrapin for doing it for us. and it's not like there golden tickets you just sign up.

This.
I stopped going to see most shows after GDTSTOO wanted me to "upgrade" my tickets a few years ago. When I declined, they put me in the nosebleeds for almost every night or sent back my money orders. I used their services since the mid-eighties, and they used to know how to take care of the base.
I think boardie camping is a swell idea. Makes all sorts of sense.

#18 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

Harumph

#19 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,112 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

on the West Side, I just went for the red-roof houses for relief. I didnt have a problem at all with shade.

the cops cruising the grounds with cameras was really fucking unnecessary, but hey - we're camped out next to teh ghetto and a university full of scared taxpayers. Let's take this show out rural so we can get the fuck down.

cops cruising for safety...whatta terrible concept.

I've found that they will not bother you if you show respect...as in not flaunting some activities in front of their faces.

Rural, from what I've been hearing (less watkins) have had more issues with the law profiling checking cars before entrance into the venue, constant frisking from one area to the next...taking certain integral festival items from people:sad:

I'll take a city fest with salt air and salt water...meaning Vibes at Seaside :ura1:

#20 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,020 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

Joke a cop told me:

Q: What do Bridgeport police call UB students?
A: Victims

#21 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,372 posts
  • LocationNew Haven

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

My Vibes is better than your Vibes.

#22 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:50 PM

the cops cruising the grounds with cameras was really fucking unnecessary, but hey - we're camped out next to teh ghetto and a university full of scared taxpayers. Let's take this show out rural so we can get the fuck down.[/QUOTE]

AGREE!

#23 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,285 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

joedz, thank you very much for the well articulated feedback.

#24 TE

TE
  • VibeTribe
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

The cops cruise with scanners that read every license plate and they were on both east and west side. If you have an "issue":wink: I suggest you leave a towel hanging over your hood "to dry" or take simliar precautions to protect "your privacy".

#25 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

^^ Huh. Did not realize this. Great pro-tip! :thumbup:

Not like I have anything to hide or like they'd be able to read anything with my Ontario plates and all, but it does seem more than a little invasive...

#26 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,186 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

^^ Huh. Did not realize this. Great pro-tip! :thumbup:

Not like I have anything to hide or like they'd be able to read anything with my Ontario plates and all, but it does seem more than a little invasive...

I think they're on to ya!! :panic:

#27 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,364 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

I'm usually one of the last people to say it's good that cops are around. But I can't see how anyone who remembers what West Camping was like three years ago would complain about their being there.

And it's pretty clear that they're there primarily for safety purposes, and to keep the gas problem at bay. I get the feeling that for them to hassle you, you'd have to be openly blowing rails off of a dead hooker. Or have a tank.

And I'd like some confirmation that they were checking every license plate. I doubt that.

I like Vibes at Seaside.

#28 listen2sloka

listen2sloka
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'm usually one of the last people to say it's good that cops are around. But I can't see how anyone who remembers what West Camping was like three years ago would complain about their being there.

And it's pretty clear that they're there primarily for safety purposes, and to keep the gas problem at bay. I get the feeling that for them to hassle you, you'd have to be openly blowing rails off of a dead hooker. Or have a tank.

And I'd like some confirmation that they were checking every license plate. I doubt that.

I like Vibes at Seaside.

I seen'd it. Past 2 or 3 years actually. On ur way in (headed way out to that field where u get ur wristbands. And on the main drag by the water

#29 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,364 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

I stand corrected or something. :smile:

Still the the BPD is incredibly mellow once they're inside the fenceline...

#30 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

I never even notice the cops at Vibes and I always notice cops. I am one paranoid skinny man:pimp:

#31 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,723 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

I never even notice the cops at Vibes and I always notice cops. I am one paranoid skinny man:pimp:

Leave your campsite once in a while! :lol:

#32 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,380 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

^^ :lol:

Camp Sketch never leaves.

#33 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,186 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Sweet! Live hooker's asses are in bounds!!

I like Vibes at Seaside.

A squad car rolled sllllooowwwlllyyy by our camp in broad daylight, and I saw the cameras and the screen in the car with plates showing up. Just like the parking guys use to find bootable ticket offenders. Takes a second or so per plate. They're doing it.

#34 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,723 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

A squad car rolled sllllooowwwlllyyy by our camp in broad daylight, and I saw the cameras and the screen in the car with plates showing up. Just like the parking guys use to find bootable ticket offenders. Takes a second or so per plate. They're doing it.

I saw them from camp as well, I wasn't close enough to the road to see what they were doing, but they totally drove through the section of the park that houses boardie camping!!

#35 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,186 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

Yup. This guy rolled through VIP. Up and down the aisles.