Open Container Policy

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

I am looking for some writing or written rules regarding the Open Container Policy. I passed through Security Gate in Boardie Camping and was padded down excessively several times and forced to pour my open drinks, even water, out on the ground. The rest of the time I walked through without any problems. I rode a bike through there several times, no problem. I am trying to understand the purpose for this policy. Over the past few years, I have been able to bring drinks and alcohol to the field and had no problems. This year, the policy seems to have changed or more ridiculously enforced. Is this a Vibes issue or a Bridgeport issue? I don't see why a paying customer can't bring alcohol on the field where beer is served?! It seems like a racket to me. What is the point in being allowed to bring alcohol to Vibes if I can only enjoy it at my campsite?

#2 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,930 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

Bringing alcohol/unsealed containers hasn't been allowed for at least the last three years as far as I can remember.

If you got through before, it's because no one noticed.

#3 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,456 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

you're allowed one sealed water bottle up to a gallon on the field.

I get the rules, but it sucks for me. I can't drink beer and they don't have wine vendors on the field lol

Not the worst thing in the world though :)

#4 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

No, not the worst thing in the world, but I am trying to understand WHY it exists. My frustration is not with the policy itself but with the inconsistency of enforcement, which I found confusing, and the nasty attitudes of the security at the Green Vibes entrance when I said something about being confused. They were quick to be confrontational and reach for their radios and had no answers as to why this rule exist.

#5 Sneaker_Pumpernickel

Sneaker_Pumpernickel
  • VibeTribe
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Milford In the NJ

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

i get the no open bottles, we have to buy them it's about $ :undecided:. It's total BS that the turd guarding the gate kept telling me he doesn't want drugs snuck in so pour out your bottle....just be honest it's about the cash

I disagree with having to open a bottle in front of them, what if i'm saving that for when i get borderline dehydrated...now you're going to make me open it and have to dump it out 5 minutes later when i pass another gate(on a bike, riding around) its BS that If you just bought it at a vender you have to dump it out three minutes later.

what really got to me was the patdowns and the wristband pulling, NO NEED to grab my junk! NO Need to make me raise my arm hold it there while you yank it down. having bicep tears it's very painful when dipsticks make you do things like that, and when you tell them prior to be carful please they yank harder thinking you're hiding something. treating everyone that wants to keep their water like a criminal is stupid, this was my 8th Vibes aside from the bar code scanning this was the worst group of security i've ever seen.

I had one Ahole inspect my casted hand more then once, looking for an open container i assume :huh:

#6 Sneaker_Pumpernickel

Sneaker_Pumpernickel
  • VibeTribe
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

BUTTTT it was all still AWSOMES:crazy:

#7 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,928 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

you should see what happens when you show up with the wrong wrist band and a VIP laminate.
the VIP Brown, i mean Red shirts refused to accept the fact the wrist band was wrong, one time removing it from my neck, another grabbing both of the strings fairly close to my neck. no real appology from the lady in charge after i got the correct wrist band and showed it to her. pretty sure her first comment was - how did you get that :bang:.

#8 HippieChick1984

HippieChick1984
  • VibeTribe
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

I agree...if we can't bring our own beverages onto the field, then they need to have more available than just beer! I hate beer! They should have put some booze in those smoothies they were selling! lol :drunkard:

#9 Spel Chek Jimy

Spel Chek Jimy
  • VibeTribe
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

I am looking for some writing or written rules regarding the Open Container Policy. I passed through Security Gate in Boardie Camping and was padded down excessively several times and forced to pour my open drinks, even water, out on the ground. The rest of the time I walked through without any problems. I rode a bike through there several times, no problem. I am trying to understand the purpose for this policy. Over the pass few years, I have been able to bring drinks and alcohol to the field and had no problems. This year, the policy seems to have changed or more ridiculously enforced. Is this a Vibes issue or a Bridgeport issue? I don't see why a paying customer can't bring alcohol on the field where beer is served?! It seems like a racket to me. What is the point in being allowed to bring alcohol to Vibes if I can only enjoy it at my campsite?

Past

:jimy:

#10 Dee2.0

Dee2.0
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,492 posts
  • LocationOn the road

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

I understand them not allowing alcohol, but requiring that the WATER being carried from campsites to the stage be "factory sealed" was absolutely ridiculous. My friend took ONE SIP from her water during our walk from camp to the gate and they refused to let her in with it. When the weather is over 100 degrees, there is no excuse for not allowing people to bring water in.

#11 Sneaker_Pumpernickel

Sneaker_Pumpernickel
  • VibeTribe
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

When the weather is over 100 degrees, there is no excuse for not allowing people to bring water in.

I agree :clapping:

#12 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,466 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

I understand them not allowing alcohol, but requiring that the WATER being carried from campsites to the stage be "factory sealed" was absolutely ridiculous. My friend took ONE SIP from her water during our walk from camp to the gate and they refused to let her in with it. When the weather is over 100 degrees, there is no excuse for not allowing people to bring water in.

ABSOLUTELY
it was 104 degrees out! you keep telling us to keep hydrated so we tried but staff kept making us dump it out
i just dont get it :dunno:

i had to resort to stashing my water to get it through but i refuse to feel bad cuz if i didnt hydrate CONSTANTLY i would have ended up in the medical tent :dunno:

i just think that the rules should have been logically relaxed for water in light of the conditions

#13 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,367 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

That's absolutely ridiculous!!
I didn't have any trouble at any point, and know many others that also didn't.

Sorry to hear that people problems bringing water in. :sad:

#14 jahozer

jahozer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

I was never patted down and they looked into my small cooler with 4 water bottles but never checked to see if they were sealed or not. They did make us dump out open bottles, but once my wife just turned away and walked through after being told to dump it out.
Depends on the guards, I guess.

#15 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,355 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

ABSOLUTELY
it was 104 degrees out! you keep telling us to keep hydrated so we tried but staff kept making us dump it out
i just dont get it :dunno:

i had to resort to stashing my water to get it through but i refuse to feel bad cuz if i didnt hydrate CONSTANTLY i would have ended up in the medical tent :dunno:

i just think that the rules should have been logically relaxed for water in light of the conditions

I don't agree that the rules should have been relaxed because of the heat. The rules should have never been there in the first place.
Second only to oxygen, water is a basic human need. It doesn't get any more plain than that. Vibes made a consious decision to charge for that basic need. To me, just one person dropping from hydration issues is too many. I find it shameful. Will the next step be to charge for the oxygen in the air?
You wanna make sure that it's factory sealed first, well, OK, I guess. But if I need 3,4 or 10 bottles of water for my day in the public areas, and the field, who am I hurting. Except the bottom line.

#16 haloofroses

haloofroses
  • VibeTribe
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

I had a guard smell my water = that works:cool:

#17 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,388 posts
  • LocationWest Haven

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:33 AM

No open containers has always been the policy. State law prohibits bringing outside alcohol into an area where alcohol is being sold.

That said, Vibes needs to seriously reconsider their water policy after this weekend. Frankly, the current policy is dangerous.

#18 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,355 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:53 AM

No one died = no change in policy...:coffee:

#19 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,388 posts
  • LocationWest Haven

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:00 AM

No one died = no change in policy...:coffee:

That's pretty fucked up if Terrapin is going to wait until they have blood on their hands before they do anything. Although, I can't say I think you're wrong at this point.

#20 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,355 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:11 AM

That's pretty fucked up if Terrapin is going to wait until they have blood on their hands before they do anything. Although, I can't say I think you're wrong at this point.

Let's face it. They didn't change the tank policy until 2009 was way out of control. Even though they billed it as zero tolerance, and Family Friendly that year. I think they were more afraid of offending tank users than regular fans. When the fans spoke up, and it appeared that they would vote with their wallets, policy changed. I have not seen a tank or balloon in two years. Much to terrapin's credit, the anti tank policy worked.

Right now, from what I understand, they have made a deal with vendors to supply water. I'm sure they thought they would get away with it, until the mercury started climbing. next year, I'm sure it will come up as a question, and the ledger will have the deciding vote. Shameful, IMO. I don't know how anyone who was involved with the policy recommendation can hold their head up...:rolleyes:

#21 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,388 posts
  • LocationWest Haven

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:14 AM

Same here, Malcolm. I really can't see how they could act like that. If I was a security guard, I probably would have gotten fired. There is no way I could, in good conscience, limit someone's ability to hydrate with the weather like that...much less make someone dump water out.

#22 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,355 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:22 AM

I don't blame the security guards. Like others in the past, they were just following orders.

I did notice the green vibes security was more obnoxious than else where.

When they asked me to empty my water cup, I held the cup to my ear, and spit out a stream of water (a'la Jim Carrey) making it look like I poured it through my empty head. believe it or not, they didn't laugh. I did. everyone else in line did..:gop::gop:

#23 haloofroses

haloofroses
  • VibeTribe
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:25 AM

Security must have some rotten days; first having to enforce nonsense, then having to take all sorts of crap from everyone because of it.

#24 mellowfellow

mellowfellow
  • VibeTribe
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:29 AM

Good thing no one dehydrated or got hyperthermia. I can understand the no open alcoholic drinks, but with the warning of intense heat heading to the north east almost a week in advance some changes should have been made as far as open water goes.
I don't remember ILCC being so strict.
Glad it was an awsome weekend though, almost sad i missed it.

#25 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,425 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

Right now, from what I understand, they have made a deal with vendors to supply water. I'm sure they thought they would get away with it, until the mercury started climbing. next year, I'm sure it will come up as a question, and the ledger will have the deciding vote. Shameful, IMO. I don't know how anyone who was involved with the policy recommendation can hold their head up...:rolleyes:

Vibes has the same policy as all large festivals, what is different is that ALL of the rest of them have more than ample fresh water fill up stations throughout the area. There has always been a shortage of fresh water locations at Seaside park.

And don't even get me started about water sales by vendors. I always opt out of the beverage sales when cost is set by the house.

#26 Danimal

Danimal
  • VibeTribe
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

Vibes has the same policy as all large festivals, what is different is that ALL of the rest of them have more than ample fresh water fill up stations throughout the area. There has always been a shortage of fresh water locations at Seaside park.

And don't even get me started about water sales by vendors. I always opt out of the beverage sales when cost is set by the house.

Pretty much this, they need more water stations the line by the spiket near picnic tables was ridiculous all the time! I understand the whole alcohol thing except last year we could bring beers through the checkpoint areas just not the actual concert field. This year they wouldn't let you bring anything through the checkpoint areas. Also we had a few security ask us to empty our SEALED water bottles as well, so think some miscommunication was going on this weekend. Also what was up with the pat downs? It was worse then TSA at times! A little pat of my pockets is fine, but full on feeling my crotch was not neccessary! Guess I look like a sketchball? :funny1:

#27 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

No open containers has always been the policy. State law prohibits bringing outside alcohol into an area where alcohol is being sold.

That said, Vibes needs to seriously reconsider their water policy after this weekend. Frankly, the current policy is dangerous.

So pretty much it is the state of CT that wants me to spend more money on expensive beer and water once I leave the confines of camping. Thanks for answering the question. Still sounds like a racket.. They should be more clear about this and have it posted. I will have to drink my beer and vodka at camp and then stumble through security and puke on their shoes..

#28 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,388 posts
  • LocationWest Haven

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

So pretty much it is the state of CT that wants me to spend more money on expensive beer and water once I leave the confines of camping. Thanks for answering the question. Still sounds like a racket.. They should be more clear about this and have it posted. I will have to drink my beer and vodka at camp and then stumble through security and puke on their shoes..

AFAIK the state law only refers to alcohol. It is posted year round in the rules section of the Vibes website as well as in the information on your ticket.

#29 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

It can be posted on the website and ticket but who takes the time to read those? BIG SIGN needs to read "CT state law: No alcohol on concert fields" and post it near Security Checkpoints. As for water, that's a different story..