Janes Addiction?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 thegratefuldog

thegratefuldog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

OK let's be serious. WTF? I thought as well as many people I talked to that this band had no place at the Vibes. What do these guys and this music have to do with the passing of Jerry? Is it because they did Ripple on the Dedicated album? The music was horrible. Chicks swinging from cables and lyrics about sex and violence. After seeing this band at the vibes it made me wonder what direction this festival is going.
Other than that and the brutal heat we had a great time.

#2 deadphan

deadphan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:58 PM

I knew there'd be some whiny whimps complaining about how badass Janes Addiction is. :lmao:

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,360 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hmmm....I think the Vibes, like many other areas of life, is a breathing, growing and conscious entity. I think the Vibes doesn't just celebrate the good ol' grateful dead alone. i think it is a celebration of our love for diversity as a whole. the ability to see the good, go with the flow, ride the berm, live in the now and most of all.....enjoy the ride.

#4 MidnightJester

MidnightJester
  • VibeTribe
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

Vibes adding Janes Addiction was a good thing. IF you followed the idea of only playing bands that had something to do with Jerry you would age all the bands right out of the newer generations of Festival gowers... Not a good idea if you want to still draw a larger crowd. You lose people each year age,death,work,family they need to be replaced with the new.

#5 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

Playin devil's advocate here...I definitely agree about bringing in the new. Rubblebucket was fantastic! And their overall message is love, peace and enjoying life and all it has to offer. One of the great things about vibes is the variety of people you see, young and very young, teens, young and middle aged adults, and all the way up to grandparents. The one thing that I felt throughout was the peace and love. I know, very hippie, but it was true for me. I could sense the oneness, if you will, of the people and their loving attitudes.

I also agree with the op, that Jane's Addiction seems very negative in their sound and lyrics and that wasn't a good vibe they gave off. Kind of emo on steroids. It wasn't my style for sure, but neither is it the style of the young dead heads. Just because people are young doesn't mean they like all the newer music. It appealed to some other group. So, anyway...I had no problem with JA being there, I just left.
Peace out
Karen

#6 smagnolia

smagnolia
  • VibeTribe
  • 327 posts
  • LocationRutland, VT

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

New music is great for Vibes. JA was a little "dark" for my taste though and maybe it was not a good Vibe for our Tribe. Just sayin'............................
It won't stop me from wanting to go back next year.

#7 bongo bob

bongo bob
  • VibeTribe
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

Variety is the spice of life..but JA was a step in a different direction. I still am straight out olde school...:garcia:

I enjoyed them for what they are
Would've loved more reggae and postivie vibrations mon!

#8 bahhhoo

bahhhoo
  • VibeTribe
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

Janes Addiction was a surprise, but what an awesome surprise!! I grew up with JA and felt like I was in college again cranking up my cassette. I agree it was a little different, but to date, this has been my favorite GOTV band to play yet!!!

I personally would like to see a little more reggae and jazz. I remember when Medeski Martin and Wood, Soul Live, with a few others brought in some cool music to dance too.

#9 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:27 AM

i totally get the janes/dead connection. i'm not old or young. i'm right in the middle and though they were perfect. the drums were insane, dave was off the hook and the energy level was pumping. thanks vibes for a spiritual psychedelic experience like no other! :thumbup:

#10 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

i totally get the janes/dead connection. i'm not old or young. i'm right in the middle and though they were perfect. the drums were insane, dave was off the hook and the energy level was pumping. thanks vibes for a spiritual psychedelic experience like no other! :thumbup:

Could not agree more Missy!!! Bring 'em back! :Phishfolk::Phishfolk::Phishfolk:

#11 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,721 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

Janes was awesome and so thats that. it was a nice change

o pace!

#12 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationGun wavin' New Haven

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

Considering the first time I saw them they had topless chicks dancing the entire show, I thought vibes was pretty tame. I LOVE JA!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

I'm a Deadhead to my core, but I love all kinds of music, and thought Jane's was fantastic.

Jerry's guitar may have distracted from it, but there's plenty of darkness in some of the Grateful Dead's music too.

I think the "formula" that Ken and Co. have been evolving into - a day of "hippie" music, and a couple of days of mixed genres is terrific.

Was sorry that the Harlem Gospel Choir wasn't in the Sunday mix this year, but wasn't at all sorry about Saturday's playbill.

#14 Sneaker_Pumpernickel

Sneaker_Pumpernickel
  • VibeTribe
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Milford In the NJ

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

Janes add is not new and as awsome as I thought they were in my teens and still today they will always be an awsome recording band ...not so much live ...they have new found sobriety making it slightly tamer and fake when he's running around with a wine bottle (but seriously i'm glad they are on the straight)
pleanty of newer bands they could bring in that would rock the field the black crows for one were way way way better :jamguy:

who the hell let him bring a bottle in anyway wtf

I suggest tighter security next year, I really feel that they should not let any bottles in and make all water coin operated for more $ :smile:

#15 Fee Fee the automatic dune buggy punch buggy

Fee Fee the automatic dune buggy punch buggy
  • VibeTribe
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

A very gutsy move to have them headline Saturday.I think it went pretty well.

#16 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

i am an elderhippie and i thought they kicked ass:Phishfolk:

:dance:

#17 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

They smoked my head!!!:devil:

I totally dug them and thought they might be a bad mix before they came out but once the show got going i really was blown away by dave navarro and the drummer.

They are the yang to Furthurs Ying.

Got to have the evil to bring out the good.:wink:

#18 reba

reba
  • VibeTribe
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BPdob3PAU2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ripple tease live

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UzHq336EdVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:Phishfolk::Phishfolk::Phishfolk::Phishfolk:

just because you don't like something doesn't mean it doesn't belong. Several people I spoke to said they were the best of the weekend. To each their own....

check it out:
http://gatheringofth...ead.php?t=61260

#19 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,505 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:38 PM

i enjoyed janes...but in all fairness, they are NOT a jam band. neither is elvis costello.....gd was a jam band therefore vibes is a jamband fest. i have no problem with variety but janes had no business at vibes. but like i said i still enjoyed it :dunno:

what really gets my goat are the Hippocrates that flip out whenever someone mentions trey band....saying he "doesnt fit the format" but apparently janes addiction does? :lol:
trey band on sat night would rage

#20 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,036 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

A very gutsy move to have them headline Saturday.I think it went pretty well.

How does someone with such an epic handle sign up in 2008 and then make their very first post three years later in a Janes Addiction thread

:lol:

welcome :hi:

#21 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

...they are NOT a jam band. neither is elvis costello.....

Nor Primus, nor Jimmy Cliff, nor Toots, nor Levon Helm, nor CSN, noe Harlem Gospel Choir, nor Buddy Guy, nor...

I love the variety of the lineups the last few years.

#22 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,550 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

How does someone with such an epic handle sign up in 2008 and then make their very first post three years later in a Janes Addiction thread

:lol:

welcome :hi:

:lmao:

#23 BigAnt

BigAnt
  • VibeTribe
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:59 AM

Yes, Jane's is a tad extreme, as far as this festival goes, but you've got to agree, they are quite talented, musically!!! Plus, when all these songs were written, they were completely medicated, more like zombified!!!!:crazy:

When I heard my first interview w/ Perry, I was like "This freakin' guy is really OUT THERE!!!!" I mean talking about aliens and crap. Sorta reminded me of an old Hendrix interview. Totally rambling...... Come to think of it, a lot of the Perry lyrics seem to detail "the life" they were pretty familiar with, back then..... He's tellin' it like it is!!! That life aint pretty or respectful in the least!!:bang:

Listening to him speak now, he's pretty down to earth. Still Perry, just sober......... family is his big priority, now!!!

And as far as the theatrics, they totally kicked butt!!! No different than the P-Funk circus, IMHO!!! Remember Diaper Guy......Pimp Guy!!! Adds to the insanity.........

And where was Duff?????????????:dunno:

Ant

#24 haloofroses

haloofroses
  • VibeTribe
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:46 AM

Los Angeles vs. San Francisco!!!!

#25 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

I enjoyed Jane's very very much.... Variety is good.... too much Jam band stuff is just that... too much... I love it all and a bit of insanity is perfect.

they literally blew my mind and its only now that I've gathered it all and shoved it back into mys kull.

#26 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,556 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

As I said in another thread, by Saturday night the hippies are ready for some heavier sounds. There are only so many two-chord noodly workouts I can handle. I knew nothing of JA going in, but I was floored. We've been dancing for three days, now let's go balls to the wall.

Mind you, I wouldn't complain if \mm/ got the 11-1 Saturday night slot next year. :wink:

#27 IndustrialXHippie

IndustrialXHippie
  • VibeTribe
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

I thought Janes addiction was awesome . I need energy and drive to dance , i need flow and depth to noodle . I really think Elvis Costello sould of been on the sunday bill . Tell me MOE into John Bulter Trio into Janes Addiction wouldnt of been a highlight for alot more peoples weekend . After john bulter i was ready for more music but it ended . :one:

#28 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,721 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

well Jerry Garcia only played and listened to Jerry Garcia songs...right?:dunno:

#29 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,556 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

Wasn't Jerry a big Elvis Costello fan?

#30 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,273 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

I think Vibes should have anyone but lame ass Furthur. God they were fucking terrible. They should of just had DSO play another night. Oh and Janes kicked ass

#31 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,166 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

As I said in another thread, by Saturday night the hippies are ready for some heavier sounds. There are only so many two-chord noodly workouts I can handle. I knew nothing of JA going in, but I was floored. We've been dancing for three days, now let's go balls to the wall.

Mind you, I wouldn't complain if \mm/ got the 11-1 Saturday night slot next year. :wink:

:clapping: Knew you would dig them!

#32 blueallah

blueallah
  • VibeTribe
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

I'm not a JA hater - even kinda like them. However, add me to the list of people that just didn't care for it at Vibes. I remember seeing lots of people flee when Primus started last year and I thought Primus was great. This year I was one of the leave early folks. Glad to hear that many liked it.

#33 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,721 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

Wasn't Jerry a big Elvis Costello fan?

:funny1:

perhaps...but I'm pretty sure he loved Abbott n Costello :rimshot:

Edited by Java Time, 27 July 2011 - 08:04 PM.
t

#34 roadrunner64

roadrunner64
  • VibeTribe
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

I actually have a Jane's Addiction CD but I've never really listened to it more than once. I found Jane's Addiction to be like Primus last year. It was probably great if you knew the band and liked the songs. But, if you didn't know the band, then it was difficult because the words were very difficult to understand. It's not my cup of tea, but I guess they have to provide some variety.

#35 George

George
  • VibeTribe
  • 366 posts
  • LocationGlendora,NJ

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:44 PM

I have never been a JA fan but that's ok. I think they are very talented and gave the weekend great variety. For me, it gave me a chance to sit down relax and patch my bones. For my 13 year old son, it was time to dance like a FREAK! I loved that he enjoyed it so much.:dance:

#36 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

Jane's was by far my favorite set of the weekend. apples and oranges i guess :dance::dance::dance:

#37 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

Much rather have Les in whatever form over Jane's Addiction. When are you guys gonna get Dylan? :crazy:

#38 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

Primus @ Vibes 2010

#39 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,096 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

Janes was PERFECT!

#40 shagggadellic

shagggadellic
  • VibeTribe
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

Personally I didn't like their music, but I'm not morally against them or anything. They definitely aren't going to stop me from going back next year. This is coming from an 18 year old person that likes some metal, Jane's Addiction just didn't do anything for me. Come to think of it, no-one on Saturday did anything for me, but they did for a lot of people so it's all good.

What about Tool playing Saturday next year? :clapping:

#41 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,556 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

Tabla Beat Science

#42 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:15 AM

Janes in their heyday were extremely psychedelic..there was nothing else like them, blatantly psychedelic and purely trippy...against a backdrop of Guns and roses, Poison, Whitesnake, Montley crue, REM, U2 Cure.. Since then a million bands and the entire lolalapalooza nation spawned, but of their era, they were one of the first to mix raw psychedelia with bombastic heavy riffs..:clapping:

#43 cdrhead

cdrhead
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

I was asleep for Jane's set but would have liked to have seen it. Not my thing but I don't mind different. Personally I think Pearl Jam would have been a much better choice :rockon:

#44 OnBongos

OnBongos
  • VibeTribe
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

OK let's be serious. WTF? I thought as well as many people I talked to that this band had no place at the Vibes. What do these guys and this music have to do with the passing of Jerry? Is it because they did Ripple on the Dedicated album? The music was horrible. Chicks swinging from cables and lyrics about sex and violence. After seeing this band at the vibes it made me wonder what direction this festival is going.
Other than that and the brutal heat we had a great time.

I had to search to find this thread. Did they rename it or some such? Anyways,,,
here's my take and otherwise I loved this band. They had me boppin'.... but
it was one incredibly offensive song. I couldn't believe they played it, don't they know VIBES?!

Its Peace, Love, Understanding, and RESPECT. There is enough sex and violence outside the gates.

Can we go back to requiring the bands that play Vibes do one Jerry song/GD song in tribute. That way they would rethink their song list accordingly, perhaps. No Hateful Songs at Vibes!!
Mmkay?

Please forgive the rant.

Peace and Joy and Gentleness to all the VibeTribe!! I love you people!!!!!!!!
Kat

#45 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,273 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

I had to search to find this thread. Did they rename it or some such? Anyways,,,
here's my take and otherwise I loved this band. They had me boppin'.... but
it was one incredibly offensive song. I couldn't believe they played it, don't they know VIBES?!

Its Peace, Love, Understanding, and RESPECT. There is enough sex and violence outside the gates.

Can we go back to requiring the bands that play Vibes do one Jerry song/GD song in tribute. That way they would rethink their song list accordingly, perhaps. No Hateful Songs at Vibes!!
Mmkay?

Please forgive the rant.

Peace and Joy and Gentleness to all the VibeTribe!! I love you people!!!!!!!!
Kat

Why should bands have to play a Jerry song? You already hear the same repeats between Furthur and DSO, Donna etc. I like that the Vibes is diversifying and hope they continue to do so. And personally I think requiring an artist to play anything is limiting their artistic freedom. And there are many Dead songs that could be called "hateful" if you listen to the lyrics:dunno:

#46 OnBongos

OnBongos
  • VibeTribe
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

Vibes is a tribute fest to Jerry and it would be nice if the main bands could each play one JGB/GD song in honor of him and his contribution to the industry. I agree that unfortunately the songs played have been the same ones over and over and that really is a shame considering the scope of works there are to choose from. I know that some of their songs can be considered "hateful" but they also have among their lyrics, "I never held you against your will".

I don't want to interfere with any band's creative process, but not every song is suitable for vibes. At least Jane's Ad didn't use the giant naked woman with the barb wire around her breasts and the gag that they did in Australia, at Vibes. They must have made that creative decision too right? I wonder what their reasoning was? The song still had the barbed wire and gag in it, no doubt.

Some young guy tried to grab me after the show. He reached for my chest and seemed surprised when I stepped back out of reach. I never had that happen at any GD show I attended. No matter the lyrics, I never felt like a piece of meat after a GD concert the way I did after Jane's Addiction that night.
Respect

#47 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,273 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

While I am sorry that happened to you. The idiot that did it is to blame. Not Jane's Addiciton.

#48 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,550 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

I'm not going to debate your opinion of what is and what's not suitable for Vibes, but I have to agree with gregoir that it sounds like you're singling Jane's out.

At least Jane's Ad didn't use the giant naked woman with the barb wire around her breasts and the gag that they did in Australia, at Vibes. They must have made that creative decision too right? I wonder what their reasoning was? The song still had the barbed wire and gag in it, no doubt.

Was this show in Australia you're talking about a regular Jane's Addiction show or was it another festival set? That could be the answer to your question right there.

#49 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Stagger Lee is a pretty violent song - just sayin

Where is Tipper Gore when you need her!!! :one:

#50 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,556 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hunter's Stagger Lee is the answer to a question he must have pondered: WWDD?