Water

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 mcm

mcm
  • VibeTribe
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

pretty wild that there's no water on the concert field, and that there are only two small hoses in the nearest plaza - and crazy lines to match. why was a truck (or two or three, at different locations) not contracted to come in?

glad i don't have to argue about bringing my full bottle through the checkpoints, but refilling is a major chokepoint and a makes one a little desperate in this heat!

#2 deadandgrateful

deadandgrateful
  • VibeTribe
  • 834 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

they made me empty my camel pack every time :( D&G very dehydrated over the weekend. i went through 2 24 cases of water in the first 2 days between me and my girl.

:undecided:

security wasn't nice this year either.

#3 bedidr

bedidr
  • VibeTribe
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:54 AM

Always good to bring LOTS of water for a four day weekend. I was able to bring in my plastic bottles of water every time I entered the concert field. Damn it was hot though...103 degrees. We are all troopers!

#4 mcm

mcm
  • VibeTribe
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

i would not have complied if i'd been asked to empty my bottle - it's just not a logical policy in that heat, and there's no reason to comply with such a dangerous order. just keep walking.

one obvious solution would have been to place water trucks on the roadway between concert field and beach area. they would have been easy to replenish, could have been used to refill after security (as if dumping perfectly good water was ever necessary) and they also could have run firehoses down onto that corner of the concert field - because the obscene gridlock at the gate onto the main field was certainly in some (respectably sized) part fueled by people trying to refill their bottles between acts.

#5 haloofroses

haloofroses
  • VibeTribe
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

I didnt have a water problem at all - most of the time i dont even look at the security, just blow right past 'em with my wrist up.

#6 thegratefuldog

thegratefuldog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

we had no problems bringing water on the field. Saturday and Sunday the yellow shirts started checking our pockets.

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,447 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

I was disappointed of the having to dump out my water jug to enter the field too. Apparently the security point by the green stage was the biggest trouble spot with this as many friends new and old had no issue at other gates with their water. It def. kept me off that field during the hottest parts of the day.

#8 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,387 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

The guys at the the check point from east were 100% assholes. They were DEFINITELY trying to shake people down. They were reaching in my pockets. When the guy found my asthma inhaler, he said, "Uh oh, what's this...it feels like a pipe." To which I replied, "It's not a pipe. It's my asthma inhaler." To which he replied, "Well, it's almost the same thing. It feels the same as a pipe." I replied, "It's not the same as a pipe." Meanwhile, my friend who I was walking with was patted down by two different people in the same line and was force to surrender ALL of his water. They didn't even let him keep ONE.

This security company doesn't reflect what Vibes is about. Their first concern was obviously not safety. They were on a power trip. There were three in particular that I noticed: a guy with red hair and a beard, a fat blond guy with glasses and a lighter haired girl. They were downright harassing people EVERY time I saw them on post. It was disgusting.

Furthermore, Terrapin needs to seriously consider their water policy. They put people's lives at risk this weekend. I really hate to think that it was for the sake of profit, but I can't see another possible explanation.

#9 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

We didn't have any trouble bringing unsealed gallons of water into the field. Sorry that some got hassled. :sad:

One thing that did get a double-take from me was an announcement from the main stage about staying hydrated, and that vendors had water for $3 a bottle. :shocked:

#10 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,387 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

Captive audience marketing'd

#11 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

Odd how we all have different experiences... Only once did some bumbaclot attempt to feel up my pockets and he stopped once I said something. Only once was I stopped for breaking the seal on a bottle of diet coke.....some rum got into it....yup, I gambled and got caught.....but it worked out well.

NEVER was I stopped for multiple bottles of water nor did I see anyone given a hard time for bringing in water or those camel packs.

#12 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

The water policy this year was unreasonable- too many people got heat sickness, the lines to refill water bottles by the food court were at times longer than a half an hour and security by green vibes stage were making people dump ice water out in over 100 degree weather...

Vendors and vibes making money off of water purchases because people couldn't bring in enough water is sickening. You couldn't afford to stay properly hydrated
:bang:
(/rage)

#13 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,387 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

It was completely shameful to put people in a situation like that for the sake of profit. Terrapin is lucky that nobody died. I hate feeling this way because I love this festival and the people that help make it run, but I just don't see how this policy could be justified for any reason other than money.

#14 deadandgrateful

deadandgrateful
  • VibeTribe
  • 834 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

The water policy this year was unreasonable- too many people got heat sickness, the lines to refill water bottles by the food court were at times longer than a half an hour and security by green vibes stage were making people dump ice water out in over 100 degree weather...

Vendors and vibes making money off of water purchases because people couldn't bring in enough water is sickening. You couldn't afford to stay properly hydrated
:bang:
(/rage)

nothing like profiteering off of a dangerous situation. i love this music festival. But the events over this weekend have me questioning the vibe tribe leadership. I may or may not be attending next year, if it's the same situation.

I suffered from heat stroke the third day. And was lucky i had some great family and neighbors keeping me healthy. I brought more than enough provisions to keep healthy. but that's not enough it seems when all my provisions sealed or not had to be emptied out before crossing check points.

#15 deadandgrateful

deadandgrateful
  • VibeTribe
  • 834 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

It was completely shameful to put people in a situation like that for the sake of profit. Terrapin is lucky that nobody died. I hate feeling this way because I love this festival and the people that help make it run, but I just don't see how this policy could be justified for any reason other than money.

that's the ONLY reason.... any other reason, is just a poor scramble for justification.

#16 N-Queen

N-Queen
  • VibeTribe
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

The amount of money they made off of everyone, they should have been handing out free water at the concert field. The security were harrassing people with wristbands but there were alot of people that didnt even have wristbands. they should have focused more on the people sneaking in and stop messing with the people that paid the 200 bucks to get in. Bunk Security this year. I also feel bad for the people that had to park all the way at the end and walk forever to see the music and there were no taxis bad idea in that heat!

#17 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,387 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

that's the ONLY reason.... any other reason, is just a poor scramble for justification.

Unfortunately, that's what it looks like. :undecided:

#18 Dee2.0

Dee2.0
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,492 posts
  • LocationOn the road

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

One of the guards said that they were making us dump it out because we could have crushed pills or *** in there. I laughed in his face. Really? If folks wanted to bring those things in they wouldn't put them in a water bottle rather than a pocket or a bra? Or even better, just do them at their campsite which they were just at? Ridiculous. One of the girls said, "Don't shoot the messenger, man." I said, "I totally get that. I know it's not your fault. Just tell your boss that this is an absurd policy." She then proceeded to mouth off to me. Girl is lucky I didn't smack her upside the head with my emptied out water bottle.

#19 lisadonne40

lisadonne40
  • VibeTribe
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

nothing like profiteering off of a dangerous situation. i love this music festival. But the events over this weekend have me questioning the vibe tribe leadership. I may or may not be attending next year, if it's the same situation.

I suffered from heat stroke the third day. And was lucky i had some great family and neighbors keeping me healthy. I brought more than enough provisions to keep healthy. but that's not enough it seems when all my provisions sealed or not had to be emptied out before crossing check points.

Totally agree! Glad everything was okay for you. I too, became dangerously dehydrated on Saturday night during the Jane's set. I couldn't sweat or even tear when I attempted to cry. My boyfriend went to get water, but was so far from the venders selling it for $3.00 a bottle and we were running out of money fast. He finally got me back to camp where I was better by later Sunday morning. It was a rough time and not sure if I would do it again myself. Sad because I had been looking forward to this event for months. I thought this was a true peace & love for each other event, but I saw too much ugliness. :sad:

#20 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,387 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

I have to call bullshit on them. I think that they were going well beyond policy, not to mention human decency.

#21 PT Barnum

PT Barnum
  • VibeTribe
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:52 AM

The spigot closer to the vendors flowed about 800 times faster than the other one which was a drinking fountain nozzle. I could wait in that line 5 times filling my bottle and getting head dumped while the poor people in the other line where sweltering with heat and dehydration.Posted Image

#22 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:47 AM

depends on which security guy you got, half the time they let you in with camelbacks and then other times they made you empty water bottles! Seriously? Throw water on the ground and go right over there, get in that huge line and fill it up. seriously stupid and dangerous especially since they were taking people to the hospital all day Saturday in 5 ambulances! really pissed me off. bull shit. :hurt:

oh and whats with all the cops bustin kids left and right and parading them around as if they were serious criminals? never saw so many ball-busters in one place. just sayin.

#23 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,698 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

I was forced to empty my camelback nearly every time I came through any checkpoint. I was NOT happy about that. And while some security folks I encountered were perfectly respectful and okay, some were class A dickheads.

I get the booze thing. I get the weapons thing. I do NOT get the water thing.

#24 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

One thing that did get a double-take from me was an announcement from the main stage about staying hydrated, and that vendors had water for $3 a bottle. :shocked:

I was a crisis intervention worked at the ill fated Woodstock 99 where water was I think, for the "time" an ungodly 4 dollars a bottle.... (12 years ago!!)

things did NOT go well and it was pretty fuckin hot at that event.

My last effort was to try and stop a mob from knocking down a massive speaker tower.... no deal.

#25 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

Only once was I stopped for breaking the seal on a bottle of diet coke.....some rum got into it....yup, I gambled and got caught.....but it worked out well.

Unfortunately this type of gamble just gives them more reason to crack down on the rest of us. :sad:

#26 Huskybass

Huskybass
  • VibeTribe
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

I was only there Saturday. A friend told me the "1 sealed water per person" max had been lifted, so my wife and I brought 6 chilled waters in with us. We had no issues with security at all. Sorrry others got hassled, but we had no issues at all.

#27 sneakyjack

sneakyjack
  • VibeTribe
  • 434 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:11 AM

I know this is an OLDER thread but I wanted to bring up something I saw at a different YES Larger music festival. I was recently at Austin City Limits (ACL) and they had trucks of water misters etc. I think one was sponsored by Camelback and I get the thing about refilling anything because it could be alcohol. I also saw many refillable water bottles both metal plastic and whatever being refilled on site past the ticket gates. This festival is large like over 5 stages and 2 large headliners playing the same slot at different end of the fields. So they certainly bring in more money per ticket head. It seems like even offering a VIBES Themed water bottle with free refills of water or even cheaper beer would be a good way to reduce waste still make some money and create a cool "keepsake" in the end. Water trucks parked near the porto lets? I know that sounds gross but thinking access and such. Just a thought..:gop:

#28 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,387 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

How about cutting out the middle man and just filling water bottle from the portos? :dunno:

#29 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

just tip gently for a drink

Posted Image

#30 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

Who in the heck names porto johns "Honey Buckets"? I love honey but now I'm wondering if bees really make it......

#31 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,457 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

Tabbooma had just an aweful time and was so dissapointed that not once was he stripped searched or probed, no stop, drop and spead em'.. Nuttin. He even volunteered a couple times to no avail :undecided: Was hoping for some flower too :wink:

#32 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:36 AM

How about cutting out the middle man and just filling water bottle from the portos? :dunno:

Posted Image

haha:lmao:haha:lmao:

#33 kenbud

kenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 247 posts
  • LocationDub V

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Posted Image

YummZzzzz

I sure hope this is CoolAid!:rotf:

#34 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,981 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

again...I had no issues with bringing in water until Sunday and they were kinda nice about it at that too!!!

:whorship: all hail!!!

:funny1: