• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,915 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

Developer stopped from developing property by Councilman.  

Councilman plays dumb.  

Developer now wants to circumvent system and run for City Council.  (represent the people or his own development interests?)

Now Developer is suing Councilman.

Short personal Story of dealing with developer.

I had rented from said developer and it was some of the shadiest dealing I have ever encountered.  We wanted to move out of our apartment 1 month early after 3 years.  We told them in August, we wanted to move following March.  Come January they ask if we are still planning to move.  I say yes.  He comes back and says the landlord will not allow it.  So March comes and we move out.  I figured written notice of 7 months was more than enough to hold up in court. 

Mid March comes, we get the call, wheres the rent.  I say we moved.  They start yelling and screaming for the rent.  Turns out they did not even have the right license to actually collect rent (look into this if you ever have landlord dispute).  On top of this the house had no permits pulled, and when we moved in it was a fresh flip of the house.  All new electrical and extension included on house.  

In the end, I had to threaten to sue them for collecting rent illegally.  I also told said developer he should thank me for personally for giving him a reason to audit his properties so this never happened again.

Anyway, here is the article.  There are 67 comments which I find fascinating since I echo many of the anti developer sentiments.  Although I do not think the councilman is doing himself any favors.

http://www.philly.co...eral_court.html

#2 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

this is why i live in the 'burbs. :) Interesting, when i open the article, there are 0 comments.

#3 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,915 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

john beaver • 14 hours ago
Ori Feibush is the best thing that ever happened to Point Breeze.

54 •Reply•Share ›

Keep It Real • 14 hours ago
Ori seems like a good guy to me, but I can't really see him taking Johnson's seat. I doubt he'd even get 5% of the black vote. Too many folks remained silent while their own were destroying their communities, but are ready to protest when folks of a different color try to improve the neighborhood. Johnson didn't even live in the district and dopes still voted him into office.

36 •Reply•Share ›

CrystalmethChristie  Keep It Real • 8 hours ago
Well said....kenny johnson is a common parasite with subpar intellectual capacity in danger of losing his fiefdom. His only political strength is in keeping his 'peeps' feeling victimized.

Naturally he invents the boogeyman of young, successful and Jewish Ori Feibush and will do everything in his power to sabotage every initiative that Feibush proposes. This makes kenny a master of the zero-sum game politics that is all too familiar in these neighborhoods.

Best of luck to Mr. Feibush, but this is an uphill fight with some really vapid and weak willed citizens mired in a poverty consciousness and hemmed in by their own fears and prejudice.

22 •Reply•Share ›

TopCat  CrystalmethChristie • 4 hours ago
@CMC, you need to put down the spoon and needle. The only reason Ori even considered buying in Pt. Breeze was because the properties there were dirt cheap. If you want to build in a community with people of low income, go ahead, but don't try to force the poor people out with your high property values. It would serve him right if the value of his property never rose above the average property in that area. It is the Councilman's "job" to look out for the residents and do what he can to prevent them from being forced out because the value of property will escalate. Kenyatta is doing what he is supposed to be doing.

2 •Reply•Share ›

Eric the Red  TopCat • 4 hours ago
Remember when Ori cleaned up that vacant lot next to the coffee shop and KJ had a opposing press conference in front of it? He even had a podium and sound system set up. If you think that's doing what he is supposed to be doing you are mistaken. Wasting tax dollars and grand standing is what KJ is all about.

20 •Reply•Share ›

EW77  TopCat • 3 hours ago
I spent a decade building affordable housing and strongly believe in it, but Johnson is no champion of the people. KJ pits people against each other and spreads misinformation for his own gain.

14 •Reply•Share ›

Dude  TopCat • 2 hours ago
It is not the job of a city council person to prevent demographic shifts in neighborhoods. That's absurd.

7 •Reply•Share ›

TheLowDown  TopCat • an hour ago
The "being priced out of your neighborhood" tactic is a false ruse. Don't play it, it is easily proven that existing residents benefit from this, and there are tax breaks in place for aid for people in special conditions. If I own a property, paid for with, quite often "$1" on the deed, passed on through family, and suddenly the value of that house jumps, who the heck do you think benefits?

2 •Reply•Share ›

bigeee1 . • 15 hours ago
Well it looks like the councilman is only trying to save the neighborhood for the people that helped destroy it. Why would his constituents want development and the jobs that normally follow it anyway?

26 •Reply•Share ›

TopCat  bigeee1 . • 4 hours ago
B1, Your narrow perspective doesn't allow room for truth or facts.

•Reply•Share ›

Capsulef • 15 hours ago
Ori is most of the reason that neighborhood is worth anything. It was a cesspool before he got there.

25 •Reply•Share ›

yelp46 • 14 hours ago
Kenyatta Johnson's seat on Philadelphia City Council is for sale on a daily basis.

17 •Reply•Share ›

jonline • 6 hours ago
I like Ori. I think he's turning the neighborhood around when the city never could. Kenyatta, who is my councilman, should be ashamed of himself. I hope Ori runs against him in his next election.

13 •Reply•Share ›

Joseph Minardi  jonline • 2 hours ago
Johnson has to protect his cushy, do-nothing, high-paying job. So, huge demographic shifts in his district are not to his benefit. And remember, he only won by like 40-some votes. It should be an interesting election next year.

4 •Reply•Share ›

callitlikeiseethem • 6 hours ago
Philadelphia is doing great so why build houses for people who pay taxes. We need the land for people who live off taxes.

11 •Reply•Share ›

CityDude • 4 hours ago
I hope Ori wins

9 •Reply•Share ›

Cletis • 15 hours ago
Affordable housing...PHA housing...that's housing for people who don't even live in his district, folks. And he did it. Opened a couple of years ago. This site had an article which interviewed the grateful new residents. And because PHA works off of a city-wide waiting list, they were from other parts of the city. So much for "affordable housing for his constituents".

Should also be an effective vote anchor, for at least a couple of elections, as the neighborhood transitions.

9 •Reply•Share ›

Long in the tooth  Penny Pingleton • 14 hours ago
I like the way he goes after the city to do what is suppose to be their jobs...

23 •Reply•Share ›

Clyderightside  Penny Pingleton • 15 hours ago
Point Breeze is lucky to have him. The folks know he's good.

32 •Reply•Share ›

Veillantif  Penny Pingleton • 12 hours ago
Greedy? Awesome. Greed will keep more corners safe and more front steps swept tonight than a corrupt city councilman will all year.

11 •Reply•Share ›

Laura5757  Penny Pingleton • 15 hours ago
And you're really going to sit there and say that it is a good idea to put "affordable housing" in a gentrifying area that is struggling to leave its violent and poverty stricken past behind?! Good grief...

But by all means go jogging there...at night...unarmed. Idiot.

10 •Reply•Share ›

Penny Pingleton  Laura5757 • 13 hours ago
Name-calling makes you sound very intelligent. lol
It's a much better idea to purchase real estate for a song and mark it up to the tenth-power, thereby collecting a huge profit and making the housing prohibitive in an area when you want to get poor people to relocate to another ghetto within city limits; the only problem is that it's not going to work and out-of-towners who don't have a clue about Point Breeze will be getting ripped-off.

3 •Reply•Share ›

El Viejo  Laura5757 • 14 hours ago
And you're going to waste your time replying to someone who bases their opinion on something as sound and logical as the heebie-jeebies?

5 •Reply•Share ›

Penny Pingleton  El Viejo • 13 hours ago
and you just jump right in there with your predictable self

2 •Reply•Share ›

Eric the Red  Laura5757 • 3 hours ago
There is BIG money in affordable housing, and (cynically) I think anytime a councilman is paving the way for it someone is getting paid.

2 •Reply•Share ›

Yes Sir  Eric the Red • 2 hours ago
Union anyone?

2 •Reply•Share ›

Karl Tortolini  Penny Pingleton • 14 hours ago
But you have no problem with Point Breeze being a complete toilet?

6 •Reply•Share ›

Penny Pingleton  Karl Tortolini • 13 hours ago
I think Rittenhouse might be the glorified cesspool for that toilet anymore

2 •Reply•Share ›

Newbold Guy  Penny Pingleton • 3 hours ago
Ori does come across as a little over zealous sometimes, but maybe that's what it takes to shake up the status quo. I bought in Newbold in '05 after making out like a bandit in the former Grad. Hosp. area. Every time I drive home from CC I see the new 3 story homes coming further and further south. With East Passyunk being so hot, deep South Philly being quite stable, and Newbold being very up and coming, Point Breeze is an important piece to making virtually all of South Philly a desirable place to live again. You best believe Ori has my vote!

8 •Reply•Share ›

Penny Pingleton  Newbold Guy • an hour ago
People who make excuses for personality issues are enabling. You sound like you are talking about a child. I don't think being over-zealous is an endearing quality in an adult; it's really annoying.

I think it is time for someone to grow up and stop grabbing every chance for media attention because every story is getting to be more and more of a drag; it's like an "All About ME" saga that has too many sequels.

1 •Reply•Share ›

Bill Brahsky  Penny Pingleton • 2 hours ago
I've met Ori a handful of times and while I'm personally not a big fan of him, he is no question the best thing that's ever happened to Point Breeze. He's an unlikable little twerp but I wish him all the best in his business endeavors.

2 •Reply•Share ›

Penny Pingleton  Bill Brahsky • 2 hours ago
So, you wish people you are not a fan of who you call "unlikable little twerps" all the best? lol
People who take others to court who put a wall up between them and buying properties for a song to enrich themselves at the expense of the poor, instead of doing something to help the displaced citizens, isn't someone I'd wish "all the best" to in their quest for personal wealth. A person is delusional thinking their wealth also symbolizes power to manipulate the city officials and force them into doing their bidding and taking them to court if they refuse to acquiesce. 
In my opinion, people like that are unbalanced; it reminds me of "Only Child Syndrome" on a bigger scale.

Perhaps if these motives affected the lives of you and the many people who see this as something positive for a community they know nothing about, maybe outsiders might rethink this land grab?

People who are so greedy that they will stop at nothing to get what they want scare me - like Comcast; think about it.

1 •Reply•Share ›

Bill Brahsky  Penny Pingleton • an hour ago
Hooray for capitalism!

•Reply•Share ›

Spinetti • 13 hours ago
Sounds like "Ori" is all about fixing the African-American community by giving them the boot; I don't think he is the light for them, but maybe for his friends and business colleagues?

12 •Reply•Share ›

phillydotcomexposer2  Spinetti • 6 hours ago
That"s always the best way to save a neighborhood

4 •Reply•Share ›

ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon  phillydotcomexposer2 • 4 hours ago
No...it's not. That's the problem. Both of these guys are going about it wrong, and both are trying to line their pockets...just doing it in different ways. And both are taking advantage. One is playing to a group that wants the easy handout. The other is playing to a group that is pretentious, yet very naive and overpays for crap.

Neither really helps the neighborhood in the long term.

3 •Reply•Share ›

rightinphilly  phillydotcomexposer2 • 2 hours ago
I grew up in West Oak Lane - oh, wait...

•Reply•Share ›

ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon  phillydotcomexposer2• 3 hours ago
I think what you want to look at is if there are any neighborhoods that are thriving, yet diverse. example..

Spring Garden: 41% white, 42% black, 9% Hispanic, 5% Asian, 3% other. Nobody getting pushed out. All contributing.

•Reply•Share ›

phillydotcomexposer2  ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon• 3 hours ago
That's not the question and your info is incorrect

•Reply•Share ›

ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon  phillydotcomexposer2• 2 hours ago
It's 100% correct. And it's the answer. If a minority moves into a neighborhood, it creates diversity. I just gave you a diverse neighborhood.

It's just not the answer you like.

•Reply•Share ›

phillydotcomexposer2  ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon• 2 hours ago
The neighborhood you speak of was at on time a high up middle class, then blacks moved in and the crime rate skyrocketed and real estate plummeted, but you knew that because your a historian

2 •Reply•Share ›

phillydotcomexposer2  ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon• 2 hours ago
Sight the crime states from 1900-2014 and then stand by your statement
Also the accurate pop is 
Spring Garden is within the 19130 ZIP code, which also includes Fairmount and Francisville. The 2000 census reported that the population within the 19130 ZIP code is 22,252.[9] The racial composition of Spring Garden was 60% white, 30% African American, 3% Asian, and 7% Hispanic.[9] Ten years later, the population of the 19130 ZIP code had increased by 10% to 24,870, an increase in population of 2,618, with a racial composition of 68.1% white, 21.4% black, and 5.6% Asian

•Reply•Share ›

ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon  phillydotcomexposer2• 2 hours ago
1900? You have got to be kidding me? 1900?

Hahahahahahaha

1 •Reply•Share ›

mike Wrangler  Spinetti • an hour ago
why do u think that there should only be one set of people living there
there should be a mix of people and we all should get along rich and poor this is 2014 the world has changed so we need to living together in harmony you are promoting segregation with that comment

you are the problem

2 •Reply•Share ›

Spinetti  mike Wrangler • 11 minutes ago
Don't try that mumbo-jumbo on me; I'm too slick to fall into your baited trap like that.

•Reply•Share ›

Dee • 2 hours ago
MORE "affordable housing" units? That is all we seem to hear these days. Developers get "grants" to build them, and the "government" uses our tax money to pay for people to live there... Whatever happened to people using their own money to pay for their own expenses, and live where they can afford? P.S. The more money we pay to make things "affordable" for some, the less "affordable" it becomes for others.

4 •Reply•Share ›

jefro2  Dee • 34 minutes ago
Affordable housing destroys schools and neighborhoods.

1 •Reply•Share ›

Reg Dunlop • 6 hours ago
You don't understand, Ori. You're contributing to the resurgence of Point Breeze and that is not what the residents or their elected officials want. Slums must remain slums and their inhabitants must remain poor and dependent...it is the key ingredient in the Dem cook book.

4 •Reply•Share ›

susieq321 • 3 hours ago
Explain to me how affordable housing is affordable... developers build houses for 300K they sell for 150K (several in all cash purchases to children of wealthy parents who give them the money)... so the difference comes from the cities pockets which is the citizens pockets... not so affordable.

3 •Reply•Share ›

Eric the Red  susieq321 • an hour ago
Subsidized housing is the biggest scam running. There is a obligation on municipalities to provide a certain % of new development as "affordable". And yes we pay for it... I was once told that when someone buys a house that's subsidized the city & gov recoups money based on new taxes and local spending. I'm not sure I buy that.

1 •Reply•Share ›

Yes Sir  susieq321 • 2 hours ago
And the difference goes into the pockets of the building trades...

1 •Reply•Share ›

Dee  susieq321 • 19 minutes ago
"Affordable" in this city means "subsidized." You are right - it comes from OUR POCKETS. If something was truly "affordable", the average person could afford it without "financial assistance". Cost of living in Philadelphia is high (in part) because of all of this "affordability" and other "subsidies" we pay for.

•Reply•Share ›

principled • 4 hours ago
Ori Feinbush can also run in Councilwoman Blackwell's district. He has purchased property on the 3500 blk. of Haverford Ave. under his OCI Realty holdings. Did he have first hand knowledge of the future plans of this area, and where did he get this information? This area is proposed for a shopping center that the PRA could have "should have" purchased at a lower rate. How much in TAXPAYER dollars will Mr. Feibush enjoy from his actions ? Yeah, right he's looking out for the taxpayers interest!! It is this Taxpayers belief he is only acting for his self interest.

3 •Reply•Share ›

eddiot • 4 hours ago
they want to keep it a ghetto

2 •Reply•Share ›

TopCat • 4 hours ago
Ori Feibush is nothing but a big rich bully. Ori, you can't buy it all, regardless of who you think you are. You can't displace people who are just trying to make it from one day to the next. ....And, you will never become a councilman in Philadelphia.

3 •Reply•Share ›

susieq321  TopCat • 3 hours ago
How is Ori displacing anyone, he only buys abandoned lots or condemned lots... he doesn't buy homes and kick people out. He has a specific policy on the properties he develops. 
You would rather see a crumbling house or a dirty trash filled lot vs. a nice house filled with tax payer who fund the poor PHA residents?

5 •Reply•Share ›

ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon  susieq321 • 3 hours ago
Displacing people is exactly what he is trying to do. People like him acquire property on the cheap, develop it. Charge 4 times what it is really worth, and over inflate the values of the surrounding properties.

Then you have a 67 year old retiree kicked out of her house because she is living on a fixed income and her property taxes went from 1k a year to 5k.

The long time resident gets kicked to the curb. The new resident pays two times what a property is really worth and gets ripped off...and the developer laughs all the way to the bank.

•Reply•Share ›

EW  ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon • 2 minutes ago
if by getting "kicked to the curb" you mean, residents can sell their house at an exorbitant gain, then sure - they are really getting shafted.

•Reply•Share ›

Yes Sir  TopCat • 2 hours ago
Not sure I understand how you think he is displacing people. City goverment sets the tax rate and implements (or doesn't) gentrification relief measures. He is building houses and improving the neighborhood in terms of crime and other quality of life issues....if values improve as a result, it's up to our elected officials to work with seniors and others on a more fixed or limited income. People have been failing to pay their property taxes LONG before Ori came on the scene.

3 •Reply•Share ›

ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon  TopCat • 4 hours ago
Hey...make no mistake about it. Point Breeze has not been Bel-Air...no denying it. But at the same time...unless you're one of these Kool-Aid drinking hipsters...you see this developer for what he really is.

Both are equally bad. Both are the wrong extremes. One allows people to benefit from section 8, the other benefits from the hipster doofus.

Neither help the neighborhood in the long term. One will use the PHA...the other uses coffee houses.

Neither is offering a real long term solution.

•Reply•Share ›

ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon • 12 hours ago
The sure sign of a snake oil salesman is when someone refers to them as "the best thing that ever happened to_________." I'm not saying Mr. Johnson is "Kenyatta the Messiah", but at least with him, you know what you are getting and where he stands.
Lots of times, when neighborhoods go the "gentrification" way, the only ones who really benefit the most are the developers. The new "locals" turn out to be temporary 10 year residents until they have kids and are faced with things such as the city's schools and high crime rate...or they leave when the tax abatements run out. Other times, they just get tired of the "Philly way", which is not going to change anytime soon unless we overhaul our entire city government (good luck...it's been this was since the 1950s and shows not a single sign of changing). The businesses that pop-up out of nowhere, and seem to thrive, disappear overnight (a cupcake place goes under when the novelty wears off, then becomes a brew house...until the novelty wears off, then it becomes a bike shop...until the novelty wears off, then it just sits empty). No offense to hipsters, but when they gentrify a neighborhood, they like things that are new and that they feel they are "discovering". Once it becomes "known" or "old" they lost interest and it tanks. So between the tax abatements, and the failed businesses...the city can't make out to well...so just who does make out? Seems to me to be the developers (under the cover of "neighborhood improvement').
Just my observations and opinions based on seeing very similar waves of this in Philly over the past couple of decades. It comes and goes like the tides. Hope I'm wrong this time, but I'm not holding my breath.

2 •Reply•Share ›

Veillantif  ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon • 12 hours ago
The median housing price in this city has been climbing steadily since the end of the 20th century, and it's been climbing faster in Point Breeze than it has in the city as a whole, which is why your claim is just incorrect.

Maybe developers get the most rich, sure. Shame on them for doing well. But the first occupants get a little rich when they sell, and the next occupants probably will too, and City Hall gets a little rich, too. (New Philadelphians actually pay their taxes.) The neighbors also profit from it, because instead of a windswept empty lot, they have someone who keeps an eye on their street and the trash picked up and the schools they send their kids to paid for.

But please, let's put this greedy developer in his place so that the 2nd district councilman can ride the government redevelopment gravy train to reelection, and to hell with everyone else.

9 •Reply•Share ›

ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon  Veillantif • 11 hours ago
I don't mean to disagree with you...but there have been multiple waves before saying your same exact words. Almost word for word. They now reside in the suburbs, the same problems they were clearly solving, are now having to be solved again. It's a shell game. The bad neighborhoods improve, the good ones go bad. Then the shell game resets. 
Perfect example...The Packer Park West Section of SW Philly. It was what you refer to as a windswept empty lot riddled, low-income section of the city. It became the equivalent of what Point Breeze is becoming now. The homes went from section 8 quality to what today would be $300k homes. The developers did their thing, the new residents dropped anchor, the schools improved, taxes were being paid...all the great things you're referencing. This was not the "hipster" wave of course...it was the "Yuppie" wave. What happened? People realized that despite what they thought was a very good quality of life, they could get a much bigger bang for their buck elsewhere. They got tired of the "Philly Way". Little by little they moved. It took 10 to 20 years for the transition to really take hold, but it did. It went from "bad" to "good"...and now...
Look at that neighborhood today and it seems like an alternate universe. The homes are very nice, driveways, garages, nice yards, beautiful decks...but there is that undercurrent. The drug dealers roam in the shadows. The parks are unkempt. It does not feel very safe at night. The hipsters of their day left, the lower income individuals moved back thinking it was a upgrade, and pretty soon the circle will be complete.
It's happened before, and it's happening again. This is just one example...I could give you many more in this city.
If you are under 35/40...you'll see what I mean.
see more

1 •Reply•Share ›

Yes Sir  ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon • 2 hours ago
"but at least with him, you know what you are getting and where he stands." Check out artcles on his Peace Not Guns organization...I think you might want to reconsider this statement perhaps.

2 •Reply•Share ›

ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon  Yes Sir • an hour ago
How many decades have you lived in Philly? I think you just proved my point. I just read a article about what you are referencing. And yes...it's exactly what I expected. I don't even think Philly politicians try hard to hide stuff like that. I think if you dig hard enough (actually, not hard at all)...you could find stuff like that for half of the individuals currently in office in the city.

It's the "Philly" way of doing things. It's totally expected...and pretty much accepted. Again...you know what you are getting.

•Reply•Share ›

TypWhtPrsn • 22 minutes ago
If you like your ghetto, you can keep your ghetto.

1 •Reply•Share ›

jefro2  TypWhtPrsn • 11 minutes ago
The problem is they don't stay in their ghetto. They will destroy one neighorhood and school at a time. They start out in one neighborhood thatth ey destroy and then they want low income housing in a good neighborhood which they eventually destroy too. Then they want more low income housing in another neighborhood that they will also destroy. No what im saying?(ebonics)
The original ghetto was North Philly. The ghettocrats destroyed North Philly. They then wanted low income housing in Point Breeze which used to be a good neighborhood. They eventually destroyed Point Breeze. It never ends. Hoodienomics is a failure.

•Reply•Share ›

jefro2 • an hour ago
KENYAtta Johnson's people destroyed Point Breeze.

1 •Reply•Share ›

dontlikedems • 5 hours ago
That would be great if he wins. Sounds like a break from the same old same old BS elected officials. Hopefully ppl in this neighborhood will do the right thing

1 •Reply•Share ›

CenterCity • 14 hours ago
Another circus. Rainbow hair and big red shoes.

1 •Reply•Share ›

Opinions Count • 6 hours ago
Just a question,,,,, has anyone ever seen a neighborhood, for that matter in any city, that really has improved when minorities start to move in & populate it ?? 
Just asking because when you have someone who wants to re-develop (yes,, I understand Mr. Feibush profits), why is it that people do anything in their power to stop it ??
If Mr Johnson is so concerned, why doesn't he find a person or persons who will help Point Breeze become a great part of the city instead of keeping it down, dirty & crime ridden ?
Which just brings me back to the 1st question I asked,,,,,, why do all sections of the city become similar to Point Breeze when minorities populate it ???

2 •Reply•Share ›

SLUGG0  Opinions Count • 4 hours ago
Do you know which group is the minority in the city?

•Reply•Share ›

Opinions Count  SLUGG0 • 4 hours ago
I know who the real minority is,,,, but most seem to convienently forget.....

1 •Reply•Share ›

phillydotcomexposer2 • 6 hours ago
Another example of black stupidity

•Reply•Share ›

ABSCAM • 8 minutes ago
"Like they say in the Hood"..".If it's broke.. break it more"

•Reply•Share ›

Darin Toliver • an hour ago
Most of the (white) people on this post are convinced that KJ is not good for SP, that Ori is a breathe of fresh air. Most are aiming the blight and conditions in SP towards Blacks. We still have a huge disconnect between blacks and white. Let's just face it. Too some, KJ's only stength is "in keeping his 'peeps' feeling victimized." Forget that Ori is an opportunist looking to make $$$. I mean KJ is "only trying to save the neighborhood for the people that helped destroy it." I mean, Ori is the saving grace of SP, because he is "most of the reason that neighborhood is worth anything." Forget the people, its a "cesspool" where people look at "Point Breeze being a complete toilet." #wow #itsreal

•Reply•Share ›

jefro2  Darin Toliver • an hour ago
Since you want to make race an issue then I will go with it. The reality is Point Breeze was a good neigbhorhood before the blacks moved in and destroyed Point Breeze. Now the whites are moving back in and fixing it up. 
YOU are a racist. YOu hate the fact that whitey is moving in and doing what your people could have done all along but you were too lazy.

2 •Reply•Share ›

Darin Toliver  jefro2 • an hour ago
So, you blame Blacks for the conditions in Point Breeze? I see. BTW, what is your ethnicity?

•Reply•Share ›

jefro2  Darin Toliver • 44 minutes ago
I am just keepin it real my brotha. Point Breeze was a good neighborhood before diversity. If it is ok for YOU to complain about whites fixing up the neighborhood then it should be ok for me to complain about the people who destroyed the same neighborhood. The difference between you and I is you complain about people fixing up the neighborhood and I complain about people destroying neighborhoods.

YOu love to complain about da man but then you protest and want to live in the neighborhoods with the man. Why is that? IF you have a problem with diversity then why did you move into POint Breeze in the first place?

The reality is ghettocrats like Kenyatta Johnson destroy neighborhoods. They want free housing in good neighborhoods. As soon as the ghettocrats move in they destroy the neighborhoods and schools with crime, litter and graffiti. They then turn a once great neighborhood into a ghetto. At that point the locals who lived in the neighborhood for generations move to the burbs. The only time the neighborhood makes a comeback is when the ghettocrats get pushed out and the Europeans come back.

3 •Reply•Share ›

Darin Toliver  jefro2 • 28 minutes ago
I am interested in having an honest dialogue on here. So, let's do this:

Please understand that a large percentage of Blacks in that neighborhood absolutely hate the decay and the blight. For years, they have fought with land owners who left their neighborhoods in shambles. Moreover, I would argue that many of the properties owned in this section were by whites. There is not a lot of Black homeowners in that area. But rent is $$$. And for many., that is the common denominator.

Second, you mentioned diversity. Since point breeze is predominately black, I am all for diversifying the neighborhood. But remember, you cannot ignore such variables as class, income status, education, etc. Yes, the poverty level is relatively high in PB; and since Blacks make up the majority of the residents, we cannot ignore that elephant in the room. But for many of these marginalized and disenfranchised folks, they have very limited outlets. Now some take advantage, but many are stuck in the cycle of poverty, from generation to generation.

So, when a rich person comes in and wants to build and enhance the quality of the area, people become skeptical. And when people have limited options to move or relocate, they become frightened with the possibility that their "landlord" many either increase the rent, or simply sell off the property, leaving them displaced.

KJ is a good man and I know he cares about the people he live around. Some has to represent the lumpenproletariat, and I believe KJ is that person. Which is why many believe Ori wont have a shot because KJ's "peeps" will support him regardless. And while that may not be such a good thing all the time, to the poor black and brown people of PB, he is their voice.

If you are really trying to change a neighborhood for ALL, you cannot ignore their voices. They have to be included in the discussion as well.
see more

•Reply•Share ›

jefro2  Darin Toliver • 15 minutes ago
Honest dialogue is a TWO way street. 
The supposid large percentage of blacks who hate the decay are not doing anything about the decay. How about they start by picking up the trash in front of their OWN homes? IS that asking too much? Don't tell my you have pride when you have trash on your own property. Pride aint a t-shirt, brotha!

Point Breeze used to be white. Point Breeze was a great neighbohrood back in the day. Point Breeze when downhill after low income housing was introduced.

Poverty is not the cause of your problems. Poverty is the EFFECT of your problems. Immigrants come here with no language skills, no education, and they pass by the ghettocrats 5 minutes after they arrive. The immigrants work washing dishes and then send their kids to Penn and Drexel to be doctors or engineers while the locals are destroying the schools. THE locals look down at education becuase they plan on being rappers or NBA stars. rappers.

If the people in Point Breeze want to live in trash covered ghettos then they can sell and move to North Philly. In NOrth Philly they can probably buy a house for 10k.

Since you hate diversity, I have an offer for you. Pick which neighborhood you want. YOu can have either North Philly or South Philly. Which ever you pick will be yours and you can turn it into a ghetto or a great neighborhood if you want to put in the work. MY people will take the neighborhood you don't choose. My people will put in the work turn it into a GREAT neighborhood with great schools. THe kicker is YOU have to STAY in the neighborhood that YOU choose. YOu won't get to ask for more low income housing in the other neighborhood after whitey fixes it up. You won't get to sneak your kids into the other school after you destroy YOUR school. ARE you on board? I think we all know you will regect the plan becuase YOUR people destroy schools and neighborhoods. That is a fACT.
see more

•Reply•Share ›

Darin Toliver  jefro2 • 4 minutes ago
I live in North Phila. One of the cleanest, nicest blocks in the city of Philadelphia; I can easily sell my property between 275k- and 300k easily. I have a number of schools near me (Masterman and ST Joe's prep being a few).

•Reply•Share ›

Darin Toliver  jefro2 • 8 minutes ago
So jefro2, where do you suggest THEY (i.e. Blacks), go? What is the solution?

•Reply•Share ›

jefro2  Darin Toliver • 5 minutes ago
I suggest North Philly. If the blacks went to North Philly the rest of the city would immediatly improve. YOu can then run NORth Philly anyway you wish.

Prove me wrong about blacks being the problem.

YOu claim that your people built the country. YOu can't even fix a broken window in your own homes or pick up the trash on your property.

•Reply•Share ›

kjuggs77  Darin Toliver • 23 minutes ago
"If you are really trying to change a neighborhood for ALL, you cannot ignore their voices. They have to be included in the discussion as well" 
Like in Mayfair, Tacony, Bridesburg, and other places in the NE? You know, how they took fantastic neighborhoods and riddled it with Section 8? Did these developers listen to those residents?

•Reply•Share ›

Darin Toliver  kjuggs77 • 13 minutes ago
So kjuggs77in your opinion, Blacks are responsible the structural, social, and moral decay of Philadelphia, right?

•Reply•Share ›

jefro2  Darin Toliver • 8 minutes ago
Can you tell us ANY black neighborhood that is neat, clean, safe and has safe public schools K-12? Just ONE?

•Reply•Share ›

kjuggs77  Darin Toliver • 28 minutes ago
You don't? Who do you think messed it up? Whitey came in at night and threw trash on the ground there? Haha #blackresponsibility

1 •Reply•Share ›

Darin Toliver  jefro2 • an hour ago
Thank you for your ignorance...

•Reply•Share ›

kjuggs77  Darin Toliver • 29 minutes ago
Not ignorance; Jefro2 essentially broke it down for you. Whether or not you want to hear the truth is a whole other ballgame. You want an excuse as to why that neighborhood went down the drain; he wants the neighborhood fixed. #blackpeopleproblems

•Reply•Share ›

jefro2  Darin Toliver • 42 minutes ago
You are the guy complaining about someone fixing up the neighborhood. It is obvious who is ignorant.

•Reply•Share ›

Satan's Pilgrim • an hour ago
Maybe we are looking at another Leona Helmsley?
Kenyatta looks like a football player; he is very big and strong.

I think "Leona" is wasting her time and needs to move on to an area predominantly Caucasian and pay a fair price for what she wants, instead of being such a fervent bargain hunter; she's the type that sets up a tent outside of Loehmann's, waiting for a special.

•Reply•Share ›

mike Wrangler • 2 hours ago
the city is corrupt and will never regain itself

the city need to embraces change 
we need jobs in the usa 48 million are on food stamps

•Reply•Share ›

Bob Archor • 2 hours ago
I hope someone can figure out a way to stop the violence in the breeze. People getting shot and pistol whipped does no one any good!

•Reply•Share ›

Ben - Bella Vista • 4 hours ago
I just wish we had a better choice than a comfortable/corrupt incumbent, and a developer who has been hugely successful and is playing the victim. The ability for developers to make a profit, and develop land is not even on the map of big problems in this city. You see the same self victimization when you ask developers to improve their designs/ cut back on the variances needed. Maybe we could have a third candidate who has a history of activism, and business, but doesn't have a direct interest in who is awarded city contracts and property?

•Reply•Share ›

ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon  Ben - Bella Vista • 3 hours ago
Ben...I totally agree, but it's not going to happen. You just gave the reason why Mr Feibush's idea of neighborhood improvement don't work. Philly is the way Philly is. It's been this way for 70 years now, and there is no sign of change. These new residents who move into places like Point Breeze buy into this new neighborhood thing,and believe they will change Philly for the better. Eventually, they run into Philly's "pay to play" and "money talks/BS walks" way of running a city. Then they run for the suburbs after a decade or so of banging their head into a wall and coming to the realization that they were played for their wallet.

•Reply•Share ›

Kathy11  ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon • 3 hours ago
I live in this district; but not in Point Breeze. All I ever hear this potential candidate speak about is his business in this neighborhood.

Kinda tells me why he's running and how important my neighborhood & issues are to him. Not a consideration at all.

He's running because of his business interests - in a different neighborhood in my district. Thanks for asking for my vote bonehead.

•Reply•Share ›

ItsAlwaysSunnyInAvalon  Kathy11 • 3 hours ago
It don't take business to improve a neighborhood. They can "contribute", but are not necessary to help. You know? Ask a food bank...the people are the ones who really improve a neighborhood. Not developers.

•Reply•Share ›

#4 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

i find it interesting to see how the comments seem to be 50/50 for either side. i think that kind of explains philly in itself. :)

personally, i would never trust a developer. most of them are in business for one thing. $$$$

then again, i don't really trust any politicians either. :lol:

#5 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,915 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

i find it interesting to see how the comments seem to be 50/50 for either side. i think that kind of explains philly in itself. :)

personally, i would never trust a developer. most of them are in business for one thing. $$$$

then again, i don't really trust any politicians either. :lol:

That is why I stated it encapsulates the issues of philly over one property.  So interesting to see the views of the people.

Obviously the Councilman is shady, and the Developer is probably even more shady.  Maybe my personal dealings with the developer gets in the way, but I root against him.  When the original story came out about the property being blocked and him throwing a temper tantrum in the papers.  I emailed him with a simple message.  "All class."

The real problem with this whole situation is if the developer does get elected, who is going to protect the people?  The developer will obviously approve his development plans.  The whole thing stinks.  Too much of a conflict of interest for my liking.

#6 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

That is why I stated it encapsulates the issues of philly over one property.  So interesting to see the views of the people.

Obviously the Councilman is shady, and the Developer is probably even more shady.  Maybe my personal dealings with the developer gets in the way, but I root against him.  When the original story came out about the property being blocked and him throwing a temper tantrum in the papers.  I emailed him with a simple message.  "All class."

The real problem with this whole situation is if the developer does get elected, who is going to protect the people?  The developer will obviously approve his development plans.  The whole thing stinks.  Too much of a conflict of interest for my liking.

because of the obvious conflict of interest, wouldn't he have to give up his position in the business if he were elected?  now that i think about it....even if he did, doesn't mean he can't still be invested in it somehow & still approve plans for development. 

#7 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,915 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

because of the obvious conflict of interest, wouldn't he have to give up his position in the business if he were elected?  now that i think about it....even if he did, doesn't mean he can't still be invested in it somehow & still approve plans for development. 

Nope.  He would not.  

That is the conflict of interest I mention.  How can he represent the people, while rubber stamping his property approvals.

Welcome to Philly.  :facepalm:

#8 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

i'd be curious to see what percentage of the vote he gets if he runs.

here in ny, a known crook has ONCE AGAIN been re elected :plain:

"Beginning in 2008, Rangel faced a series of allegations of ethics violations and failures to comply with tax laws. The House Ethics Committee focused on whether Rangel improperly rented multiple rent-stabilized New York apartments, improperly used his office in raising money for the Rangel Center at the City College of New York, and failed to disclose rental income from his villa in the Dominican Republic. In March 2010, Rangel stepped aside as Ways and Means Chair. In November 2010, the Ethics Committee found Rangel guilty of 11 counts of violating House ethics rules, and on December 2, 2010, the full House approved a sanction of censure against Rangel."

lolvoters

#9 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,648 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

In many towns and cities the councilfolks are made up of local business people.

This is not unusual.

The trick is finding and electing honest ones.

#10 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

In many towns and cities the councilfolks are made up of local business people.

This is not unusual.

The trick is finding and electing honest ones.

good luck with that :lol:

#11 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

i thought it was a job requirement for all politicians to be unethical liars. :lol:

#12 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

i thought it was a job requirement for all politicians to be unethical liars. :lol:

Not really a requirement.  It's more the definition of a politician!  :lol:

#13 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,061 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

here in ny, a known crook has ONCE AGAIN been re elected :plain:

Buddy Cianci just announced that he's running for Mayor of Providence again. He got thrown out of BOTH of his first two stints in that office because of criminal convictions. The first time for burning his wife's lover's eyelids with a cigarette. The second for just plain ol' corruption.

Wouldn't surprise me too much if he won again.

I really think he'd be a better fit in Congress, but that's just, like, my opinion. :funny1: