• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

Ok, I'm opening up shop very soon, (  :crazy: ) and my official ribbon cutting with the city of Troy is scheduled for the 11th of July, a Friday. They told me it's my show, and I can pretty much do whatever I want, so I want to ditch the boring red ribbon and use a tie dye one!! 

Problem is, I can't find anything at all online. There is some, but it's the little 1" skinny crap. 

I need the really wide stuff. Think giant scissors, a line of people in front of the shop, pictures, all that. You folks have seen "ribbon cutting" deals before. 

So, what I'm proposing, if someone is interested in helping a chick out, is hiring a trusty boardie dyer to make me up some wide tie dye ribbon. I think you could just buy a wide spool of white, however wide that would be (4 inches? 6 inches?) and go crazy with the colors. 

I would pay you for your time and services, obviously. I was going to buy a big spool anywhoos, but it seems it doesn't exist. 

If anyone is interested, please let me know, and we can talk some details. :)

#2 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,456 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

depending on how long you need it, whether you are going to need a big bow, you might wanna think about Vet Wrap.

It's white. It's cotton, it's 4-6 inches wide, it can be up to 15 feet long.  It's cheap.

Ive never dyed it before, and since it is like an ACE bandage, I'm not sure how it would turn out, but it might be worth a try.

#3 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

Is 2 1/2" still to skinny?

http://www.fabricand...lk_ribbons.html

kaleidascope_1_half-satin.jpg

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Could maybe glue 2 strips together?

#5 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,456 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

Silk would dye nicely too. Typical high ph tie dye would dull the shine. You might find 100 mm silk ribbon. That's close to 4 inches

#6 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:50 PM

I did see some handmade silk ones on etsy, but nothing nearly that wide. I'm gonna poke around online and see what sizes I can find...

#7 OpusX

OpusX
  • VibeTribe
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHartford

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:19 AM

Congratulations empty.gif299481a1w9czrf0r.gif

#8 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,456 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:20 AM

If you find White silk ribbon, wide enough, you can buy the little tie dye packets at Michaels.  Just unroll the ribbon, as much as you need, crumple it up in a ball, and squirt dye on it in different patterns.   Throw it all into a black plastic bag, tie it up and let it sit in the sun all day.  Unbag it the next day, rinse it out with a hose.   

The packets at Michaels already have soda ash in them.   The dyes are fine, but they don't stand up to repeat washings.  You don't need to worry about that.

Pro Tip.  To avoid everything turning to brown, use 2 of the 3 primary colors.  Only use colors derived from those 2.    Purples, reds, blues for example.