153 replies to this topic

#1 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

Going to start WHOLE30 next Wednesday.  

Anyone have any experience, tips, recipies, etc?

#2 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

what's whole30?  i haven't heard of it before

#3 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Tl;dr to follow:

What is the Whole30®?

Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it. Are your energy levels inconsistent or non-existent? Do you have aches and pains that can’t be explained by over-use or injury? Are you having a hard time losing weight no matter how hard you try? Do you have some sort of condition (like skin issues, digestive ailments, seasonal allergies or fertility issues) that medication hasn’t helped? These symptoms may be directly related to the foods you eat – even the “healthy” stuff. So how do you know if (and how) these foods are affecting you?

Strip them from your diet completely. Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing. Push the “reset” button with your metabolism, systemic inflammation, and the downstream effects of the food choices you’ve been making. Learn once and for all how the foods you’ve been eating are actually affecting your day to day life, and your long term health. The most important reason to keep reading?

This will change your life.

We cannot possibly put enough emphasis on this simple fact—the next 30 days will change your life. It will change the way you think about food, it will change your tastes, it will change your habits and your cravings. It could, quite possibly, change the emotional relationship you have with food, and with your body. It has the potential to change the way you eat for the rest of your life. We know this because we did it, and tens of thousands of people have done it since, and it changed our lives (and their lives) in a very permanent fashion. (Need convincing? Just read some of our stunning testimonials.)

The Whole30 Program Rules

Yes: Eat real food.

Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. Don’t worry… these guidelines are outlined in extensive detail in our free shopping list.

No: Avoid for 30 days.

More importantly, here’s what NOT to eat during the duration of your Whole30 program. Omitting all of these foods and beverages will help you regain your healthy metabolism, reduce systemic inflammation, and help you discover how these foods are truly impacting your health, fitness and quality of life.

• Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.
  • Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
  • Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.
  • Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
  • Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.)
  • Do not eat white potatoes. This is somewhat arbitrary, but if we are trying to change your habits (chips and fries) and improve the hormonal impact of your food choices, it’s best to leave white, red, purple, Yukon gold, and fingerling potatoes off your plate.
  • Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30.
  • No Paleo-ifying baked goods, desserts, or junk foods. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved” ingredients—no banana-egg pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don’t try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely.

One last and final rule: You are not allowed to step on the scale or take any body measurements for the duration of the program. This is about so much more than just weight loss, and to focus on your body composition means you’ll miss out on the most dramatic and lifelong benefits this plan has to offer. So, no weighing yourself, analyzing body fat or taking comparative measurements during your Whole30. (We do encourage you to weigh yourself before and after, however, so you can see one of the more tangible results of your efforts when your program is over.)

The Fine Print

These foods are exceptions to the rule, and are allowed during your Whole30.

• Clarified Butter or Ghee. Clarified butter or ghee is the only source of dairy allowed during your Whole30. Plain old butter is NOT allowed, as the milk proteins found in non-clarified butter could impact the results of your program. Refer to our Butter Manifesto for more details on the milk proteins found in butter, purchasing high quality butter, and how to clarify it yourself.
  • Fruit juice as a sweetener. Some products will use orange or apple juice as a sweetener. We have to draw the line somewhere, so we’re okay with a small amount of fruit juice as an added ingredient during your Whole30… but this doesn’t mean a cup of fruit juice is a healthy choice! Refer to your Shopping Guide for clarification.
  • Certain legumes. We’re fine with green beans, sugar snap peas and snow peas. While they’re technically a legume, these are far more “pod” than “bean,” and green plant matter is generally good for you.
  • Vinegar. Most forms of vinegar, including white, balsamic, apple cider, red wine, and rice, are allowed during your Whole30 program. The only exceptions are vinegars with added sugar, or malt vinegar, which generally contains gluten.
- See more at: http://whole30.com/w...h.BW4HbStM.dpuf

#4 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

reminds me a little bit of the paleo diet.  good luck, ms teo!  i hope it helps with what ails you :)

my moms boyfriend cut out carbs completely & not only has managed to lose weight, but his blood pressure & blood sugar are completely in check.  he's even been able to stop taking insulin completely (he has/had type 2 diabetes)

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

Nice!

I am hoping to significantly reduce inflammation, balance hormones and all kinds of other health benefits.

#6 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

So basically, along with a whole bunch of other less significant foods, whipped cream is verboten... .

I may have to try this.

#7 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 699 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

As with most cleasnes and diets, (imo), they only work if you strategize on how to make them last beyond the 30 days.  I definitely think the value and benefits are there, but you have to make it work for your lifestyle 24/7/365.  That's always been my concern with starting something new.  Likewise, 60 days is the typical timeframe your body needs to purify itself and reap whatever benefits you are searching for.  Keep that in mind.  I'm not trying to be a know-it-all or naysayer, but this has been my experience with trying new diets in the past.

After 30 days, adopt what is reasonable and capable for you and dismiss everything else.

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

After 30 days, adopt what is reasonable and capable for you and dismiss everything else.

Agreed!  The idea is to give the body a chance to reset.  After the 30 days, I will hopefully be able to note any changes when adding various foods back in, or at least those that I anticipate adding back such a white potatos and rice

#9 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 699 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Agreed!  The idea is to give the body a chance to reset.  After the 30 days, I will hopefully be able to note any changes when adding various foods back in, or at least those that I anticipate adding back such a white potatos and rice

I've never found any real difference after 30 days of anything (I don't think 30 days is long enough), and typically go 60 days to really see if there has been any noticable changes.  Let me know how it goes.  :)

#10 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

Thank you crazytigerrabbitman.

I am very much hoping that at the end of 30 this feels good and I will be eager to extend it to 60 and perhaps beyond.

*Wondering why I picked summer for this, but I know.

#11 Micki Dee

Micki Dee
  • VibeTribe
  • 562 posts
  • LocationNorthern, CA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:47 PM

Best of luck!  Self discipline  is tough road.  

#12 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

Day 1

From reading this far, if I stick with this there will be many health benefits.   :crazy:

#13 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

I wouldn't make it one day without sugar in my coffee...and no carbs.  Omg.  :ravn:

Good luck, TEO!  Def keep us posted!  :)

#14 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

I am leaning more towards a diet of everything (in moderation and in it's season).  Although, I think periodic fasting or special diets like this one can be healthy for their cleansing effects.  Good luck TEO!

#15 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Thank you, Day 1 was a breeze.  Day 2 off to a good start.  Hoping this really will be this easy.

Of course my cabana boy gets big props for facilitating the ease.

#16 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

(((awesomely supportive cabana boys)))

#17 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Day 3 here we go.  Hopefully I won't feel as angry as yesterday.

#18 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,465 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

How's it going? Anti-inflammatory is a good idea for me, my parents, etc.

Tabling thoughts of trying anything similar until after Vibes.

#19 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

Day 3 here we go.  Hopefully I won't feel as angry as yesterday.

this happens often when changing one's diet & it can be a real bitch in the beginning, but it gets easier.  i felt terrible when i first started cutting out refined sugar & it still happens sometimes after a few days of over indulgence (like my usual post christmas crash :lol: )

i hope it's not too bad & doesn't last too long, ms. teo :)

#20 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Day 7, so far so good.  I think the fact that I had already been predominately gluten free for quite a number of months has made this much easier than anticipated.  

Had pretty much cut sugar other than alcohol out before this as well.

#21 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

Day 9, I might be starting to like sweet potatos.

#22 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

What about yams - do you like yams?

#23 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

No more than I like sweet potatos.

#24 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

i LOVE sweet potatoes!! i usually just bake them whole w/ the skin on for about an hour at 450 degrees...so simple & yummy

#25 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

the big yams?  yep they're pretty good;)

#26 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Day 13, had some carb cravings on days 11 and 12, filled up on veggies to stop that.

#27 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Day 14

Really is empowering to make choices rather than being told one must or else.   :smile:

#28 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

choices are cool :)

#29 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Day 15  WOW

#30 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:06 AM

How you holding up TEO?

#31 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Fabulous, holysmokes thank you for asking.

Day 19  Looking forward to doing another 30 without break when I make this 30.

Carb cravings grow less and less over time it seems.

#32 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Very cool!

#33 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Day 20

Getting excited that I will make this initial 30 day goal.

Must admit I do miss a tasty quaff now and then.

#34 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

glad to hear you're doing well with the plan, ms. teo :)

#35 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Not certain what has gotten into me, it seems I am contemplating a 3-5 day fast after this Whole30 is completed to kickoff the next Whole30.

Oh wait, yes I do, I want to heal the inflammation in my body as efficiently as possible.

#36 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Day 22 and still going strong.  :-)

#37 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,288 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

Nice!  My mom did a similar diet.  Jo-Jo lost weight, and got the best check-up.  When she went back to eating grains and whole sugars, it was only ww and fruit.  She turned seventy this past January, and still walks 5-10 miles/day.  Believe me, mom still has her setbacks and is fine with it.  She is human, and so are you!

Do whatever works.  Props to your cabana boy!  ;)

#38 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

TEO is killing it!

#39 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

Alrighty, checking the count, 13 days in June plus today being 14 days thus far in July = 27th day today.  :nikkiblue:

#40 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Have you had any dreams yet where you are eating something restricted by that diet only to wake up and realize it was just a dream?

#41 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

Have you had any dreams yet where you are eating something restricted by that diet only to wake up and realize it was just a dream?

that sounds like a nightmare :lol:

#42 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

:lol:   Day 28, and none of those dreams.  I don't expect any as I choose to do this, rather than waiting until my health demanded such a change or a bunch prescription meds.

#43 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

You are not fooling me TEO, come clean. What was it a big plate of french fries? No, wait it was pasta wasn't it? Just kidding, I am glad you are doing well.

#44 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

It was almost several stiff drinks and a pizza last night, but  I realized that those cravings were being caused by emotions, so I had water, curried veggies and brisket.

#45 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

Day 29   :smile:

#46 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

:crazy:

#47 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

:clap:

#48 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

http://whole30.com/2...to-the-whole30/

#49 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

It was almost several stiff drinks and a pizza last night, but  I realized that those cravings were being caused by emotions, so I had water, curried veggies and brisket.

hats off to you, ms teo!  i definitely would've caved :lol:

one day left!!  :crazy:

#50 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

:lol: @  "Unless you physically tripped and your face landed in a box of doughnuts, there is no “slip.” - See more at: http://whole30.com/s...h.7HCQHxIm.dpuf