Photo
- - - - -

Milk or Not, That is the Question (A writing from a friend)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 irieday

irieday
  • VibeTribe
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

The consumption of dairy is quite an interesting topic, and probably one of the most disagreed upon of what we learn at school. IIN's position remains- whatever works best for you. However, it seems that despite agendas from varying speakers, one resounding theme comes through- Don't Consume Pasturized and Homogenized Dairy.

I'm certainly not going to get out my soapbox here to shout the dangers of dairy. Frankly, I miss cheese. I've been pretty much dairy-free for almost a year now due to an intolerance to the casein protein found in ALL dairy. And cheese's main component that makes it cheesy is casein. One speaker this weekend, Dr. Neal Barnard explained the love affair with cheese comes from a chemical response that occurs when casein is consumed because a portion of casein is actually an opiate. So, it thus makes it so hard to give up an addition with cheese. However, I don't miss milk at all. I've found the substitutes of rice and almond milk to do just fine.

I know it may be shocking to think about cutting the creams and cheeses out, but there's info worth considering. Studies are showing the following information-

1) There is absolutely no correlation between the consumption of dairy and a decrease in osteoporosis. None. Scientists have followed people consuming zero to high amounts of milk daily for years and the rate of osteoporosis is a consistent risk through every level of consumption.

2) The dairy industry is a huge lobby...the government has made deals with restaurants like Wendys and Burger King to push meals with extra cheese. This information is available through the Freedom for Information Act.

3) Men and women who consume milk/dairy daily increase their risk of breast and prostate cancer.

4) Dairy is mucus producing and many people are intolerant to it, but don't know it. Certain populations are more intolerant than others. And yes, you can get enough calcium by consuming other foods high in calcium such as greens and certain whole grains.

5) The hype around drinking Raw Milk is over blown because of the dairy industry which is why it is never widely reported when people get sick and die of regular store-bought milk...which does happen. I have never tried Raw Milk, so let me know your own personal experiences. I'd be interested to hear them.

So, decide for yourself what is right for you, but remember, the things that we believe and the phrases we know (aka. Milk...does a body good) are paid for by a lobby wanting you to buy its product. The dairy industry has a vested interest in our constant consumption of it's product. I know it's easy to just stick with the status quo, but remember, each day, meal by meal, we set ourselves up for failure or success. Is your pleasure of dairy consumption worth more to you than your own continued good health?

This is taken from my Friend, Evolving Well.
http://www.evolvingwell.com/Home.html

#2 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:26 AM

Neal Barnard spoke on weekend three. I just started his 3 week vegan challenge. Today is day 1. We'll see how I do.

The amount of milk that Stephen consumes (3 or more 12oz glasses a day!!) worries me. :undecided:

#3 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

Homogenized milk is actually quite bad for you as the process breaks the fat molecules down to an undigestable state. Homogenizing is done to prevent the milk from separating so it is purely cosmetic, although mandated.

#4 irieday

irieday
  • VibeTribe
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Dave used to drink milk.
Now he has an allergy to it.
I was never a fan of milk but always forced to drink it as a kid.
I always just pictured cow piss while drinking milk.
Tell Stephen about the pus that comes out from over-milked cows.
That's enough to deter anyone.

#5 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

Stephen has an allergy to it as well, he's lactose intolerant, it causes excess mucus and it gives him ear aches. yet he still drinks it :(

#6 hollyhamine

hollyhamine
  • VibeTribe
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Milk is needed for health and milk is useful for weight gain as well as for weight loss.And milk is one kind of energy provider and we can get vitamin from milk so milk is needed.So each person should drink at least a cup of milk in a day.

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Nancakes on milk is needed. But, since I've jacked up my protein intake, I now consume 12-14 oz of fat free milk per day (organic at home).

#8 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,981 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

I find listening to my body works best for me, and it doesn't like cow's milk as much as I do. :lol: Only baby cows NEED to drink cow's milk. That said, I find it delicious. What I've learned from studying East Asian medicine and assisting at a friend's practice is that dairy promotes the creation of phlegm, and that folks with asthma who cut or reduce their dairy consumption (particularly softer/liquid dairy products) have less trouble breathing.

#9 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:52 AM

Not. FDA guidelines make me want to retch. There is a reason people are lactose intolerant; cow milk is ment for calves.

#10 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,795 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

Note: soymilk is not good for a body either.

#11 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,614 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

mmm i love milk. i've never heard "consume dairy, help avoid osteoporosis", i've only heard "consume calcium, help avoid osteoporosis". interesting. :thup:

#12 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

Note: soymilk is not good for a body either.

I've been hearing this. Since I take thyroid medicine I have to avoid soy products anyway...

#13 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:51 AM

Almond milk here.:smile:

#14 mamapajama

mamapajama
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

Making me think. Thanks Britt.

#15 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

mmm i love milk. i've never heard "consume dairy, help avoid osteoporosis", i've only heard "consume calcium, help avoid osteoporosis". interesting. :thup:

one of the best things you can do for your body to avoid osteoporosis is weight bearing exercise.

I don't know how accurate this is?

http://articles.merc...nes-Weaker.aspx

#16 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

Milk is needed for health and milk is useful for weight gain as well as for weight loss.And milk is one kind of energy provider and we can get vitamin from milk so milk is needed.So each person should drink at least a cup of milk in a day.

needed for health = nonsense.

#17 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

An interesting article.

Ya know, I love milk. And I love cheese. And I don't intend on ever giving it up.

I don't eat or drink it every day. Moderation in all things including moderation. :wink: I buy organic whole milk (*real* organic milk from a farmer's co-op, not that "fake organic" Horizon brand stuff) when I am feeling like I want something rich, organic 2% the rest of the time. Sometimes I get non-organic if the store is out, but most times it is easy enough to get the good stuff.

Now, on the topic of milk as nourishment - I am certain you have heard the term "milk and honey" - milk and honey are really the only two substances out there whose only purpose is nourishment. Fruits and vegetables, and all plant-based food for that matter? It's purpose is to propagate itself as a species. Animals? Same thing. Milk and honey? Those are created to nourish the young. That is it's sole purpose. You can certainly argue that it is there to nourish the young and so therefore is not required by adults, you can argue that it is species specific - and you'd be correct. But it still stands that those substances are here to act as food and nothing else. Which is just an interesting fact, or at least I find it to be. :)

#18 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

But every species seems to do just fine moving on the other forms of nourishment once they are weened from milk.

and the milk most people are drinking today (homogenized, pasteurized, antibiotic infused..) is not the milk any species was intended to drink.

#19 Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn
  • VibeTribe
  • 688 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, CT

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

I grew up on a cow milking farm - 7 kids were raised on Raw Milk - Dad would milk the cow right into the milk can - bring it in the house - we'd dump it into glass bottles and put it in the fridge - none of us were ever sick much - or had major health problems even now that we're in our 40's & 50's and 1 almost 60 - we're all still quite healthy - I personally stopped drinking milk early in my teens and became a veg but everyone else in my family continued to drink it - and watching the milk process in a REAL farm atmosphere growing up I can attest that there were no pus in the milk and it is tested daily before the big milk truck will take it - I don't know about other farms - but my Dad's was the best!

#20 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

But every species seems to do just fine moving on the other forms of nourishment once they are weened from milk.

and the milk most people are drinking today (homogenized, pasteurized, antibiotic infused..) is not the milk any species was intended to drink.

I don't think I disagreed with that in my post, I just think it is interesting that out of everything any living creature eats, there are really only two things that exist purely as nourishment - the rest are other living things that are just trying to succeed as a species.

That always kinda makes me pause - and makes me hungry for milk and honey! :lol:

#21 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

Oh, I know you didn't :smile:

Just got this on my fb feed http://www.grist.org...r-grandmas-milk

#22 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:56 AM