#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

Violent week: Details emerge in multiple deaths, fire

John Davis, Poughkeepsie Journal 9:49 a.m. EDT April 22, 2014

1398174263000-NorthClintonStreet.jpg

A City of Poughkeepsie animal control officer removes a pitbull from the North Clinton Street home where two people were killed Saturday.

(Photo: Emily Stewart/Poughkeepsie Journal)

SHARE 41 CONNECTTWEETCOMMENTEMAILMORE

A rash of unrelated, violent incidents in the past week have kept local police agencies and officials busy trying to piece together information and unravel some mysteries.

Some details were released by officials Monday, with investigation continuing today.

The unusual number of extreme occurrences in Dutchess and Ulster counties included a stabbing that left two men dead and a woman injured, a shooting in a bar that killed one man and injured a woman, a fatal fire, a fatal car accident and a mysterious death.

City of Poughkeepsie police identified two men fatally stabbed Saturday in a second-floor apartment on North Clinton Street.

Police pronounced Lamar L. Johnson of Beacon, 35, dead at the scene. The other male, Landocalrissan E. Butler, 33, who lived in the apartment, was transported to Saint Francis Hospital in the Town of Poughkeepsie, where he died later on Saturday.

A woman was also transported to a local hospital, where she was treated for a stab wound to the arm and released, police said.

Autopsies conducted Monday found Butler died from a stab wound to the heart inflicted by Johnson, city police Detective Lt. Matt Clark said. The woman's wound was also inflicted by Johnson, he said.

Although stabbed, the cause of death for Johnson is pending, Clark said. All the participants in the incident have been accounted for and there are no other suspects at large, he said.

Other violent incidents in the city include a shooting Easter Sunday, a home invasion Monday night, in which two city men were arrested and charged with robbery and burglary and a reported fight that resulted in the death of a 46-year-old city man. All three incidents remain under investigation.

Updates on the rest include:

• In the Village of New Paltz, town police Chief Joseph Snyder said the Sunday morning fatal shooting at Murphy's Restaurant and Pub was "not a random act of violence."

Ryan Gray, 29, of Poughkeepsie, died in the shooting. No arrest had been made as of Monday afternoon and the investigation was continuing, Snyder said.

Snyder said a second victim who survived is a female, 26, who remains in stable condition. She was not identified.

Snyder said this was not the act of a "shooter running around town.

"We believe that the victims and perpetrator were known to each other. This incident is a spillover from some incidents in the City of Poughkeepsie," Snyder said.

"We also know that this incident did not take place due to an overcrowded bar, filled with intoxicated people that began to fight and resulted in this shooting incident," he said. "This act just happened to take place where it did based on window of opportunity."

Police ask anyone with information to contact the New Paltz Police Detective Division at 845-255-1323. All information will be kept confidential.

• In Wappingers Falls, authorities will wait for toxicology results to help determine the cause of death for William J. Long, 54, who was found dead Saturday with burns outside a house on West Main Street after a 911 call that initially reported a structure fire.

An autopsy was completed and toxicology tests need to be done now as part of the "additional investigation," said Dr. Dennis Chute, Dutchess County medical examiner. Results are due in a couple of weeks.

Village police Officer Paolo Capparelli declined to say if there were any weapons found at the scene or if Long had any other injuries.

Authorities said they are investigating if drugs or alcohol were involved.

• State police on Monday identified Mario F. Basora, 22, of Wassaic as the motorist killed in a car crash on Route 22 in Pawling Friday morning.

Authorities responded to the scene about 5:10 a.m. and found Basora's vehicle crashed into trees along the roadway.

The accident took place on Route 22 between Kitchen Corners Road and Hurd's Corner Road, authorities said.

Police have not said what caused the crash. Basora was alone in the vehicle, police said.

• Authorities have yet to release the cause of a fatal fire at the Domino's Pizza on Route 9 on Wednesday. Killed in the fire was 19-year-old Wappingers Falls resident Adam Justiniano, a 2013 graduate of Roy C. Ketcham High School.

According to police, Justiniano and two others were inside the Domino's when the fire broke out about 5 a.m. Village police Officer Capparelli said police are still trying to determine why the individuals were inside the restaurant at that time.

The two others, who told police they were employees, were able to escape, police said.

Capparelli said it is unclear why they were unable to help Justiniano escape, but he said the smoke and fire inside the Domino's at the time as "excessive."

John Davis: jpdavis@poughkeepsiejournal.com, 845-437-4807, Twitter: @JohnDavisPJ

Visit poughkeepsiejournal.com for the latest updates on these investigations.

#2 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

spring fever?

#3 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

spring fever?

Something!

I was in a bar and Main Street  Poughkeepsie on Friday Night.  There were 3 shots fired in the grocery store parking lot.  I had just moved my car across the street, because I learned they tow in that. I was literrally still in my car from going across the street.

Poor was parked near where I was parked.  His car sustained two bullett hits. The police officers told him to go over to the bar, try to relax and get a beer.  He was just buying groceries and wasn't in the car when the shooting happened.  His girlfriend had called and asked him to bring home Chinese food.  So he was across the steet too.

This shooting incident did  not make the newspaper or the local news radio station's news website.

#4 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,648 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

bullet holes would totally up your lot cred :pimp:

#5 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,305 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

Sounds like an average weekend here in the 'Cuse. Shootings are not even news anymore. Pretty hard to escape these things if you live in a city, even a small one.

I'm in suburbia, and it's marginally better.

#6 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

Chicago, Illinois- 45 fatal shooting over the weekend. :excl:

#7 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

Chicago, Illinois- 45 fatal shooting over the weekend. :excl:

45 wounded, 9 fatally, in shootings over the weekend.  nearly all of them were multiple-wounded gang-related shootings.

not justifying the shitty number, but just saying that it's gang violence which is at play here, so there's less incidents featuring more injuries per incident.

#8 Guyute

Guyute
  • VibeTribe
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

Landocalrissan

#9 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

Landocalrissan

one of your students?

#10 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

fuck this I'm moving my social calendar to Newburgh where it's safer.

#11 Guyute

Guyute
  • VibeTribe
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

No, I had his cousin, Bingo Long.

#12 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

Frank has been coming home from work (at the local hospital) with all kinds of crazy stories. Worse than usual. He wants to move too  What's going on in Po' town lately :(

#13 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,397 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:20 AM