The Royal Ramble....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

Just have to do some writing I'm warming up for my blog...

Totally unedited

The Berkshire Music Festival was a popular music festival in the late 90's and early 00's.  Known as Berkfest it was one of the best collections of music talent.  I had to work Friday night, and before leaving on Saturday.  I checked the website right quick to see if there were  any changes or problems. It looked all clear.  I headed up making good time on the hour long trip from Poughkeepsie, New York  to Great Barrington, Massachusetts.  I went to an intersection, and the cop told me the festival was sold out. I showed him my ticket and he waved me through. I got there and was told they weren't taking anymore cars and I had to turn around and go to the fairgrounds.

After I turned around, I  met Mr. Mean Cop.  As he was directing traffic, we wildly step back and did a Townsendesque windmill.  His watch clanked against my side mirror.  He looked again, so I headed towards the fairgrounds.   About a mile down the road, I get pulled over. The aging cop looks in out of the window and says "One word out of you and I will charge you with Felony Assault on a Police Officer With a Deadly Weapon".  Absolute silence.  Then, "If you get smart with me  I'm gonna pull you out of this window"  "But officer, I'm deceptively big, I won't fit!".  Ok didn't actually say that.  A couple of younger cops show up and they have a discussion with Mr. Mean Cop.

One of the young cops says, "We've cooled him down, but he insisted we give you something, how does a $35.00 failure to exercise caution ticket sound?"  "Well I used caution to not get pulled through the window!" Ok didn't say that either. I told them I'd take the ticket. I had been mentally preparing to spend the weekend in jail.  Being that I was in northwestern Massachusetts, I was wondering if it would be the same jail where the Alice's Restaurant incident took place.

So I went to the Fairgrounds and parked and got on a bus and made it to the festival. As I walked through the gates I saw a sizeable crowd up on of the ski hills. Regional favorites Jiggle (formerly Jiggle The Handle) were playing Paul Simon's classic "Graceland" album. I remembered they had a contest on their website where fans would select an album for them to play.  They were almost done when I got there but we were treated to a medley of the other album choices.  Nearly 14 years later, the only albums I remember were Phish's "Rift" and The Beatles's "Sargent Peppers".

Headed through mud to the mainstage.  Legendary Bluegrass-Americana musicians Peter Rowan and Tony Rice had the relatively small crowd in the palm of their hand.  The crowd really filled in the natural amphitheater when Bela Fleck and The Flecktones played. The sound was perfect and the late afternoon sun was refreshing. I smiled as a realized I was seeing The Flecktones in a Phish size crowd.  All of the players in The Flecktones had great solos.  At the End of the set Bela introduced DJ Logic who was going to sit in for a song.  They played "Hoe-Down" and it was like they had all been playing together for ten years. The Flecktones and Logic had a huge ovation.

***Should I continue or should this have gone in the direction getting pulled over stories?***

#2 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,396 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

didn't you write this like 3 years ago?

#3 JerryKid

JerryKid
  • VibeTribe
  • 329 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

If you didn't write this before then I am stunned about how much detail you can remember. I can't remember that much from just last years vibes forget about anything happening years ago.

#4 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

Jerry,

Thanks. Last year's Vibes is kind of a blur, so many in the same venue, Phish shows are like that now too.. 

G,

I may have but I'm starting scratch.

#5 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,396 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

Jerry,

Thanks. Last year's Vibes is kind of a blur, so many in the same venue, Phish shows are like that now too.. 

G,

I may have but I'm starting scratch.

cool cool I just remembered reading about the cop story before :)

#6 deadphan

deadphan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:00 AM

Keep writing! I'm broke and have nothing to do and you know I love reading about these old fests and shows. :) This thread also gave me an idea...for your 45th birthday (in like, what, 20 years? ;-) ) I'm throwing a Royal Ramble...renting out Rev Hall and having your favorite bands play for free. I figure 45th because by then I hope to be a successful promoter (gotta have dreams) and 50 is just too far away. It's awn!