Photo

Everyone has a breaking point. They found mine today.

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

Here is my letter of resignation from my current job.

After careful consideration, I’ve concluded that my core values, professional expertise and work ethic are not aligned with the dysfunctional organizational culture at XXXXX. Today I give you my official two week notice of resignation from the firm. All accrued vacation time can be paid out. This letter will also serve as my exit interview.

During my time here, there has been nothing but inconsistencies in leadership, or outright failure. This comes from upper management, and also from the colleagues with whom I share a “Manager’s Meeting” table.   In my five plus years here, I’ve been shown nothing but professional denigration and belittlement.  I was hired as a Coordinator, which means exactly nothing from a practicable and applicable standpoint. It means “do as you’re told, find the answers to critical problems where no one else can and accept our ineptitude and abuse for what it is. Here is your measly paycheck.” Taking this position was a professional setback only out performed by this weak economy. I’ve not only gone unsupported in trying to succeed in my role, but I’ve been blocked, stalled and ultimately hindered in that ability by leadership and colleague alike. Whether due to performance issues, or a complete lack of expertise in those individuals own field.  In the firm’s attempt to get a Facilities Manager without giving the respect, title, compensation and support associated with managing, they’ve led themselves to this point. Spending valuable time discussing the merits of email responses that are simple replies to requests, goes to show that ego is more important at XXXX than results and expertise. This is only compounded by making the expert accountable to people who have absolutely no understanding of the projects, tasks and administration. Their only role in the endeavor is to “learn” and middleman information back to the supposed leadership.

On a related note, there is an overt sexism within the XXXX Office that is concerning.  It is not a man’s job to perform manual labor, contrary to the atmosphere that is fostered within the “leadership”.  Having “the guys” or XXXX to perform tasks that can and should be performed by any able-body within the organization on a needed basis,  is downright appalling. Such reservation of tasks is yet another denigration to not only me as a professional , but to my sensibilities as a human.

In closing, I’d like to wish the firm luck in replacing my position with someone who matches or exceeds my level of expertise. Unfortunately, I think it’s quite unlikely that will occur without actually granting that individual the recognition, support, compensation and leadership they deserve.

Best Regards,

Ice Cold MF'er.

#2 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

word

#3 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,993 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Well written.  Best of luck.

#4 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

Good for you TASB!

From what you've told us about your office environment, this has been a long time coming.

Hope you can find something else before too long.   :smile:

#5 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

Care to tell us what the straw that broke the camel's back was?

#6 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

OK, now that you've done a nice job of venting, throw that letter away.

The one you submit is 2 or 3 lines to the effect of "Please accept my resignation on such and such date.  All leave paid back."

Your letter has the look and feel of a manifesto.   Which although every word of it may be true, also can be used against you down the road.     Best bet is just to resign without the drama.    If they need to know why, then offer a verbal explanation in an exit interview....   Your exit probably won't' change a thing in that culture anyway, so why even put energy into changing them at this point?

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

I'm not throwing it away, I'm submitting it.

#8 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

The truth is a real bitch, but they deserve to hear it. For better or worse. If for nothing else that they may THINK before they do the same thing to another incoming individual.

#9 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

OK, now that you've done a nice job of venting, throw that letter away.

The one you submit is 2 or 3 lines to the effect of "Please accept my resignation on such and such date.  All leave paid back."

This.

#10 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,764 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

I would do some editing before submitting such.  Our worlds are much smaller than we sometimes think.

#11 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,832 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

if you have no intentions of maintaining a relationship, professional or otherwise or using them as a professional reference, I don't see how it makes any difference.

#12 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

I would do some editing before submitting such.  Our worlds are much smaller than we sometimes think.

Yup.

#13 hippieskichick

hippieskichick
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,929 posts
  • LocationAlbany NY

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

The truth is a real bitch, but they deserve to hear it. For better or worse. If for nothing else that they may THINK before they do the same thing to another incoming individual.

True statement. Sadly though, the ones who need to 'hear' it the most are the ones with deaf ears. 

#14 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,466 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

i dunno

i would LOVE to point out the effed up shit that happens at my work but i know that it isnt a good idea to say everything on my mind, even if i am leaving

as stated, its a small world and it is not outside the realm of possibility that someone from this company might end up in a position somewhere else where this letter may end up being a liability

just being devils advocate

but man, it sure would feel good to be the voice of reason...i get that :undecided:

#15 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

:lol:

Does HR make it a habit of passing resignation letters around for all to see? I think not. As for a reference, the standard "he worked here from X to Z @ $10 a year" should suffice.

#16 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,993 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

I'm not throwing it away, I'm submitting it.

I am going with TASB on this one.  This has been going on for a while.  We only heard small tid bits about his experience.  I am sure it is much deeper than that.

I do not think he cares if the bridge is burned.

My original post was going to say, dripping with directed sarcastic truth.

#17 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,993 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

:lol:

Does HR make it a habit of passing resignation letters around for all to see? I think not. As for a reference, the standard "he worked here from X to Z @ $10 a year" should suffice.

When a company does a back ground check, they are really only checking for dates you worked there.  If they wanted more they would call your references.

#18 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,355 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

IMO, this type of letter should not be sent.  Yes, every word may be true, but what is the real reason that you are sending it?  To actually have them read it, understand that they are fuck ups, and they have a Come to Jesus moment and change?  Not very likely. Is it just to get shit off your chest?  It may feel good, but do you really care what they think?  On any leval? Do you think the letter will help any future or current employee?  Only you can answer.   
If it is just get get it off your chest, it just might come back to bite you.

again, IMO, the possibility of any upside is close to zero, the possibility of any downside, as related to you, is much higher.  When looking for a new gig, it might come up.

In short, what's the point?

#19 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,355 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

I have gone for jobs where someone in new company A, knew someone in old company B.  In my case, a former VP.   There was an "unofficial"  request.  " Hey Bob, I got a guy used to work at XXX Corp, you worked there, what can you tell me about him."  

Yes, HR just asks for dates, etc.  And most companies will NOT give an official statement about your employment.  But in small worlds, people come and go.  You never know who knows who..

#20 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

I'll probably never find a job anyway. :lmao: So it's kind of a who gives a F anyway, sort of thing. It's not from a lack of trying to leave here I've been here this long. Thats for sure.

#21 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,355 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

prolly make some good bank reselling boardie camping passes.   

You could ask for credit card info when someone calls the hotline too.

:rolling:

#22 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,466 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

I have gone for jobs where someone in new company A, knew someone in old company B.  In my case, a former VP.   There was an "unofficial"  request.  " Hey Bob, I got a guy used to work at XXX Corp, you worked there, what can you tell me about him."  

Yes, HR just asks for dates, etc.  And most companies will NOT give an official statement about your employment.  But in small worlds, people come and go.  You never know who knows who..

this is exactly what i was referring to :wink:

#23 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,092 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

BURN IT ALL DOWN

#24 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,993 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

BURN IT ALL DOWN

/Office space'd

#25 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

I've seen this happen more than once. It's a well written letter, however, I agree with Depends and Cur. It might not be legal for them to do so, but they can mess with you getting your accrued vacation paid to you in a timely fashion, too.

#26 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,774 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Fuck those motherfuckers. Live off the sweet teet of Sugarmama JnJn. :pimp:

#27 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

TASB - I am sorry, but that letter is redonkulous.  You are better than that letter.  Please reconsider.  If you are serious about resigning, then do it the right way.  You are the man, so act like it and be the professional we all know you are!

#28 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,488 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

I'd listen to Eddie, Cur and Depends. Serbiz, no need to burn a bridge, especially is you don't have a new job lined up.

Best wishes finding a new gig in a healthier-for-you environment.

#29 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,774 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

It is rediculous but he kind of sounds like the man :pimp:

#30 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,092 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

he sounds like the man whos gonna burn it down

#31 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,446 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

I'mstealing 99% of this to transfer!!!

#32 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 24,178 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

:bouncey:

#33 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,425 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

Just remember that the toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. Good luck either way.

#34 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,092 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

resized_viking-fire-meme-generator-burn-

#35 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,764 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

I'll probably never find a job anyway. :lmao: So it's kind of a who gives a F anyway, sort of thing. It's not from a lack of trying to leave here I've been here this long. Thats for sure.

I hear there is an assistant cabana boy position available.

#36 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,092 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

assistant cabana boy,,,start from the ground up

#37 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, why not. I worked for over 10 years in management to become a maintenance worker who also manages in this last role. So i'll probably end up at the bottom somewhere anyway.

#38 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,092 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

no u wont :lol:

#39 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,883 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

If you submit that letter just be prepared for them to show you the door today, and not in 2 weeks

#40 williscat2000

williscat2000
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,493 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

hmm- i wouldn't send that in. They obviosuly don'ty give a shit about you. Why would they suddenly care, now that you are quitting. The message they see is, "OK- need to hire a new sucker" I doubt they give a shit about your opinion- or they wouldn't have treated you like such shit. 

I'd  bullshit them with something that might actually register or make them jealous...."I inherited 14 million dollars yesterday, Thanks for the wonderful experiences, please consider today my last day."

also- since they were a bunch of douchebags, don't give the 2 weeks courtesy- just gives them the chance to walk you out today, and in their mind, retain the upper hand

#41 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,673 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

Ask yourself what can be gained and what can be lost. Then do what you want.

#42 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

#43 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,092 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

do eeetttttttt :lol:

#44 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,418 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

Unfortunately, whomever reads that letter will remember it for a few minutes.  Then it'll be dust in the wind.

Is it really worth it?   It won't really make a difference to anyone but you in that you'll have a temporary sense of satisfaction that you told them what you thought.   Is that a worthwhile payoff?.    I also agree with what Depends said 'you never know who knows who'.    You don't want a repuation of the guy who blew up and walked out. 

I know it's difficult when you are so frustrated with your current job but try to rise above and resign with dignity.   That letter might feel righteous and dignified but I don't think it'll serve you well.

Best of luck :)

#45 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

do what you want.

A guy after my own thoughts. 

#46 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

Remeber everyone, the letter of res is in lieu of an exit interview. Which they always conduct and essentially asks about the experience one had with the firm. I saved everyone time.

#47 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,022 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:38 PM

tl;dr: I quit, you suck. Kang'd.

#48 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,092 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

burn it

#49 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,446 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

they prolly won't make you a Mgr anyway cuz that will pad your resume nicely and open more opportunties to leave...but at least you make decent money...me on the other hand is shopping at the dollar store for tonights meal :(

#50 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,446 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

ciuldnnt even afford an apostrophe :funny1: