Royal's Biofeedback

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

With the "All 50 States.." series on hiatus, I am entering a new project.  "Biofeedback" will be a series where I will write bios for bands.  It's intended to be a positive bio of bands in the festival scene.

Here's my first entry, Bud and Budd: The Kind Buds

The Kind Buds, Bud and Budd, are a "best of both worlds' band.  The acoustic duo spend their Winters playing at all of the greatest ski resorts in Vermont and their Summers playing festivals like Gathering Of The Vibes, A Bear's Picnic, Nateva Music Festival, and Strangecreek Campout.  They've been selected for legendary events like Oregon Country Fair but at the same time you have a good chance of their playing your request.  Mixing smooth flowing originals and raucous acoustic stylings of The Grateful Dead, The Kind Buds are a crowd favorite.  Known as much for their cover of Pink Floyd's Echoes as they are for Grateful Dead's Althea, they have something for everyone.  The harmonies of The Buds have made a fan and collaborator out of Grateful Dead Hour host, David Gans.  The Kind Buds are musicians for the best reasons, they love to play, they love those who seek out their sets and will play as long as there is somebody there to listen.

#2 Occifer Boland

Occifer Boland
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,782 posts
  • LocationHazlet, NJ

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:45 AM

Occifer loves the kind buds... Will never forget very late night set in Velcro last year

#3 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

:bouncey:

What an awesome Bio & idea, Royal!   Gooo Kind Buds! 

#4 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,371 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

With the "All 50 States.." series on hiatus, I am entering a new project.  "Biofeedback" will be a series where I will write bios for bands.  It's intended to be a positive bio of bands in the festival scene.

Here's my first entry, Bud and Budd: The Kind Buds

The Kind Buds, Bud and Budd, are a "best of both worlds' band.  The acoustic duo spend their Winters playing at all of the greatest ski resorts in Vermont and their Summers playing festivals like Gathering Of The Vibes, A Bear's Picnic, Nateva Music Festival, and Strangecreek Campout.  They've been selected for legendary events like Oregon Country Fair but at the same time you have a good chance of their playing your request.  Mixing smooth flowing originals and raucous acoustic stylings of The Grateful Dead, The Kind Buds are a crowd favorite.  Known as much for their cover of Pink Floyd's Echoes as they are for Grateful Dead's Althea, they have something for everyone.  The harmonies of The Buds have made a fan and collaborator out of Grateful Dead Hour host, David Gans.  The Kind Buds are musicians for the best reasons, they love to play, they love those who seek out their sets and will play as long as there is somebody there to listen.

Ryan I think this is fantastic!  You are so knowledgeable about music and have a way of speaking and writing about it that is fantastic.  I love Biofeedback idea. I think you've really got a talent for this!

#5 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

Maybe not as polished as The Kind Buds's review but here's my draft for Donna The Buffalo

Emerging from the Finger Lakes Americana scene in the mid 90's, Donna The Buffalo has earned fans from coast to coast. Led by multi-instrumentalist Tara Nevins, Donna the Buffalo is a organic, groovy blend of Americana, Folk, Dance, Rock, Zydeco, and more.  Nevins's vocals are a delightful middle ground between Alison Krauss and Lucinda Williams.  Hosting the Finger Lakes Grassroots Festival is a tradition for them every Summer.  They are also popular at MerleFest in North Carolina, Suwanee Spring Fest in Florida and Rhythm and Roots in Rhode Island.  If you are looking for positive lyrics with a danceable flow, look no further than Donna The Buffalo. They are a huge influence on younger bands rising up today.  Songs to check out include Positive Friction, If You Only Could, Silverlined and Family Picture.  Hugely fitting into music under the sunshine, Donna The Buffalo is a festival favorite, but also a great band to see indoors.  Check them out on August 3rd at Gathering of The Vibes in Bridgeport, CT.

#6 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,371 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

:clapping:  Another great one!

I love that this sentence rhymes too:   "If you are looking for positive lyrics with a danceable flow, look no further than Donna The Buffalo"

:)

#7 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:17 AM

Oh snap! I didn't even realize that rhymed till I read your paste!

#8 liveyoursong

liveyoursong
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,849 posts
  • LocationChurchton, MD.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:51 AM

Nice job Ryan, I'd just like to add one thing. They are co-led by Tara and Jeb Puryear.

#9 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

I am currently asking for suggestions for bands to profile

#10 liveyoursong

liveyoursong
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,849 posts
  • LocationChurchton, MD.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

Only current or past bands too?

#11 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Dopapod, Mister F, Kung Fu

#12 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:01 AM

Good Choices, would prefer current  bands.

#13 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:05 AM

Ry, U have such a gift. 

#14 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

Max Creek

#15 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Nice choice J, I have added them to my list

#16 megmyster

megmyster
  • VibeTribe
  • 987 posts
  • LocationNo place, like the right time

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:51 AM

Always love to read your writing Ry~ so smart...engaging. Don't worry~ Ry knows Jeb is in donna the buffalo. He just has the hots for Tara :lol:

#17 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:20 AM

Always love to read your writing Ry~ so smart...engaging. Don't worry~ Ry knows Jeb is in donna the buffalo. He just has the hots for Tara :lol:

truth!

"Tara Nevins?  Well let's just say you won't see her in any Girls Gone Wild videos" -One of Meg's exes.

#18 megmyster

megmyster
  • VibeTribe
  • 987 posts
  • LocationNo place, like the right time

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:26 AM

:lol: ..... why don't you start another band bio before this becomes a history lesson on my exes.

#19 SugarMags

SugarMags
  • VibeTribe
  • 278 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

These are great! Well written, be great to get them out there so people check out some of the awesome daytime bands!

#20 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

I want to hear more about Meg's exes.      :popcorn1:

#21 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:30 AM

raw unedited draft

Railroad Earth's story is not a tale you'll hear about other bands.  Veterans of From Good Homes and Blue Sparks From Hell got together in rural Northwestern New Jersey.  After a few days they had formed their band and had a demo.  The Railroad Earth demo which was only a few songs made the rounds quickly.  You have to remember this was in 2001 before Electronic Press Kits.  From the strength of demo, they were booked at three of the most prestigious festivals in the county, Telluride Bluegrass, High Sierra and Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival.  Best experienced outside Railroad Earth brings story and adventure through lyrics and playing.  I first saw them at Grey Fox 2001.  The crowded had cheered their hearts out for Nickel Creek and didn't know  much about the following band, Railroad Earth.  The New Jersey players clicked and they maybe acoustic magic.  They have gone on to play many styles of music including Rock and Celtic.  Their live set makes you feel like your warm under the covers outside and somebody is telling a great Summertime story.  In the end it's guitar, fiddle, mandolin, bass, banjo and drums but it should be labeled under magic.

#22 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:23 AM

I agree!

#23 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,560 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:33 AM

"warm under the covers outside" is a great image Ry. . :smile: 

Occifer loves the kind buds... Will never forget very late night set in Velcro last year

I had to split earlier than I wanted but was immensly happy to see my father's face smiling brightly and knee tapping ferociously as I rode away. They really are something special.

I want to hear more about Meg's exes.      :popcorn1:

I don't think you are alone in this.  How many feathers can she strewn? that's what I would like to know. 

#24 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:48 AM

I busted my ass on this one and I'm really pleased with the Ryan Montbleau chapter.  I need to focus tomorrow on the songwriting. Suggestions welcome.

4) Ryan Montbleau.

DJs of the month not included, I think getting booked for Bonnaroo is one the biggest accomplishments an artist can achieve.  If you look at the lineup there are only a  handful of organic rock bands at the fest.  Ryan Montbleau Band reached that milestone in 2013.  Probably coincidentally the band disbanded in December 2013.  Ryan is now back to solo status. 

After graduating from Villanova University Ryan worked as substitute teacher in Boston while moonlighting at any gig he could get including playing in chain restaurants.  Around 2003 Ryan solidified a band and began to rise up and get more gigs around the northeast.  At Strangecreek Campout 2005  Ryan Montbleau Band played a well received afternoon set featuring the song "Dancing In The Sunshine".  2005 also saw Ryan Montbleau Band's debut at Gathering Of The Vibes which they have returned to every year since.  2007 saw Ryan Montbleau Band began touring nation-wide and played a very well received run of shows in the Virgin Islands and St. Croix. 2008 showed Ryan excel as a song writer which is evident by the band's booking at the prestigious Philadelphia Folk Festival and gigs with feminist folk icon Ani DiFranco and folk musician-producer Martin Sexton. In 2009 Ryan and the band's eclectic sound grow and they were booked at The Ann Arbor Folk Festival and the Funk music summit Bear Creak Music Festival. In 2010 they played all corners of America: Seattle, San Diego, Miami, Oxford, ME and everywhere in between. 2012 saw Ryan and the band play a gig that all musicians seek and only the best musicians are selected, Jam Cruise.

Ryan's songwriting and singer has been long compared to Stevie Wonder, Ben Harper, Paul Simon and Keller Williams. Songs ranging from quick encounters with an ex-girlfriend to finding piece of mind. Ryan is playing at this Summer's Gathering Of The Vibes and it's billed as Ryan Montbleau and Friend which is sure to bring in some of the finest Americana musicians in the Northeast.

#25 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Songs ranging from quick encounters with an ex-girlfriend to finding piece of mind. 

Maybe he was singing about Meg... 

#26 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Ryan too!?!   :lol: