How do you handle this??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

We go to several festies a year & the friends we see, we usually only see once or twice a year at the fests.

I feel bad for my kids though. They 'live' with these kids for the better part of a week & then they are so sad when we all split to go home. Catie (6) seems to understand but Jess (4) cried yesterday for the loss of her 'new' friend Eli & after Strangecreek for the loss of her friend Mabel

Have any of you gone through this with your kids? <3

#2 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

I don't know if there really is a way to "handle" it. The younger kids are the less they understand the temporary nature of things. I even remember thinking after high school there is no way I wouldn't be friends with some of the people I was friends with. I am now actually friends with 1 of them and I hardly ever see him either. I think it's kind of something they have to come to accept on their own terms. As long as they know you and her sister aren't going anywhere :)

#3 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

it's the same thing with summercamp, except at least at camp, we got some closure - a very emotional closing campfire where kids get to sing songs and do skits and read poems about the summer... and then before the parents come to pick their kids up, everyone exchanges addresses and phone numbers so they can keep in touch until next year. maybe you could do a version of this? help them wind down at the end of the weekend... get together with the other parents and children and talk about their favorite parts of the festival, make a list, take photos and draw pictures so they have something to look at / think about in the weeks after... exchange contact info and then all of a sudden instead of losing a friend, they are gaining a pen pal!

#4 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

I say.... I know, I know... but you'll see them again "soon" :huh:

#5 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

We have done the pen pal thing & it seems to help but I agree w/ Jay that it just takes time. Catie is getting better at it, Jess is still really little. It just breaks my heart to see her so upset. (Although she's fine today) <3

#6 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:09 PM

That's the thing with these kids- they are heartbroken one minute, then absolutely fine the next. :funny1: :rolleyes: Glad she's faring better today.

#7 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,233 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Don't take them out in public. :grin:

#8 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

I guess Sunday at Vibes is off then :undecided:

:funny1:

#9 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

I guess if I lock them in the basement w/ a box of cheese its & juice boxes, they should be good for a 3 day fest :dunno: